Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions, please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Granollers in 2
Granollers in 3

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers

(Read 4086 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #270 on: August 07, 2013, 07:34 PM »

Very much enjoyed all Fleming's positive comments - and his description of watching Wimbledon final in Royal Box.
Shame I missed them, not having Sky. Frown
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #271 on: August 07, 2013, 07:36 PM »

There we are, over in straights, no sweat w00t.

Yes, okay, before I get shouted at I'll be good Smile. Let me just say that when Andy was down in that second set I was thinking about Djokovic! I mean, come on, if Andy wasn't giving up against Djokovic, he was never giving up against Granollers, was he?

Andy was just a bit rusty today, that was all. They said as much in commentary, and Fleming (who is my favourite just now wub) also said it in the studio. However, he got it done when he needed to, by getting himself back into the second set and by playing a fantastic tie-break. That's a champion if ever I saw one. I have to say before the match I expected it to go to three, so getting it done with a set to spare made me happy Smile.

Andy's just going to get better through the week. A month of not playing must be tricky, and of course, all the hoopla around winning Wimbledon must take some getting used to as well, but Andy got it done today in straights. He also lifted his game when he needed to, so I think that shows his best is there or thereabouts. I'm not worried about him.

So far, so good. Andy has shown today, as if there was any doubt, that he is prepared to fight in these awkward moments, even if the match is not in a slam. He got the job done in straights with no histrionics, no panic, just belief in his ability to lift himself when needed.

Fleming reckons Andy is the best returner in the game. He said so after the match. Lovely man Smile. Also, and sorry to be such a girl, how good did Andy look in his outfit? I'm glad he didn't wear the dark blue. All the underlings appear to be wearing the blue in Montreal. I liked the white very much Smile.

clap yay Good posting! Agree with all u just said!
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #272 on: August 07, 2013, 07:38 PM »

There we are, over in straights, no sweat w00t.

Yes, okay, before I get shouted at I'll be good Smile. Let me just say that when Andy was down in that second set I was thinking about Djokovic! I mean, come on, if Andy wasn't giving up against Djokovic, he was never giving up against Granollers, was he?

Andy was just a bit rusty today, that was all. They said as much in commentary, and Fleming (who is my favourite just now wub) also said it in the studio. However, he got it done when he needed to, by getting himself back into the second set and by playing a fantastic tie-break. That's a champion if ever I saw one. I have to say before the match I expected it to go to three, so getting it done with a set to spare made me happy Smile.

Andy's just going to get better through the week. A month of not playing must be tricky, and of course, all the hoopla around winning Wimbledon must take some getting used to as well, but Andy got it done today in straights. He also lifted his game when he needed to, so I think that shows his best is there or thereabouts. I'm not worried about him.

So far, so good. Andy has shown today, as if there was any doubt, that he is prepared to fight in these awkward moments, even if the match is not in a slam. He got the job done in straights with no histrionics, no panic, just belief in his ability to lift himself when needed.

Fleming reckons Andy is the best returner in the game. He said so after the match. Lovely man Smile. Also, and sorry to be such a girl, how good did Andy look in his outfit? I'm glad he didn't wear the dark blue. All the underlings appear to be wearing the blue in Montreal. I liked the white very much Smile.

Oh i do like a bit of Peter Fleming he is such a nice guy and is so complimentary about Andy.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #273 on: August 07, 2013, 07:39 PM »

Crappy comms in Canada.

They're not used to doing it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #274 on: August 07, 2013, 07:40 PM »

And Fleming also said Andy the best returner in the game (even if Nole might have something to say about that) and implied he saw Andy being at the VERY top of the game soon

Fleming was lovely about Andy today. Petch said something during the match as well. I can't remember exactly, but the implication was that he thinks that Andy will be at the top before too long soon. I think he was implying that Andy might finish the year at no.1. I wouldn't be surprised, Andy just has a look about him now. I really think he might do it Smile.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #275 on: August 07, 2013, 07:43 PM »

Considering it was Andy's 1st match since his Wimbledon win.... I thought he did well. Showed that even tho he was struggling for consistency he was going to battle. The top guys, I think, are far more confident than there opponents in TB situations ... there is a big gulf in confidence and shot selection/execution in the big points. Never doubted Andy would get thru... and thought it would be tight... and thats how it turned out.

Well done Andy!!... next!

Cant decide whether Id like Andy to play Rafa in this comp or not until USOpen..should they make the final.... pros and cons
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #276 on: August 07, 2013, 07:43 PM »

Oh i do like a bit of Peter Fleming he is such a nice guy and is so complimentary about Andy.

I have to confess that I have a teensy-weensy little thing for Fleming Smile. He makes me laugh, which helps! He is generally really lovely, is often complimentary about Andy and can put Barry Cowan in his place like no other comm would dare to do Smile.

The perfect man really Whistle.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #277 on: August 07, 2013, 07:44 PM »

I was expecting Andy to be rusty, and Granollers to put up a fight, so I cant complain when that happens.

I was following live scores at work until Andy won the first set, which is when I left, suddenly filled with optimism that it would be over quickly and efficiently.  I had a bit of a shock when I checked the score when I stopped off at a shop, but got home just in time for Andy to break back in the second.  A bit nervy, but quietly confident Andy would maintain the upper hand when it came to it.

Hopefully tonight's doubles will sharpen him up, and Colin will be hoping that he sharpens that serve up a bit too. Whistle  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #278 on: August 07, 2013, 07:49 PM »

Andy had 29 winners 46 UE and 6 DFs
And 1 ace
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #279 on: August 07, 2013, 07:50 PM »

They normally count double faults in with the unforced errors, so that makes it a bit more respectable, lol! lol
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #280 on: August 07, 2013, 07:51 PM »

Well done Andy! Onwards and upwards! Actually - can you get any higher? No 1 is just a place really.

I dont think No1 is just a place. It takes an unprecedented level of talent and consistency to reach the No1 ranking in tennis and stay there. It is a terrific achievement for any tennis player. We shouldnt demean it just becoz Andy hasnt achieved that yet.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #281 on: August 07, 2013, 07:53 PM »

Let me just say that when Andy was down in that second set I was thinking about Djokovic! I mean, come on, if Andy wasn't giving up against Djokovic, he was never giving up against Granollers, was he?
That thought kept going through my mind too TJ.  Andy may have been lacking in match practice but he certainly wasn't lacking in sheer determination.  Also once again he kept his composure when some of us were losing ours!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #282 on: August 07, 2013, 08:05 PM »

I think our Andy likes a challenge, what fun would it be to win in straight sets with no challenges?  Seems often he gets himself in a fix and has to get himself out of it to win.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #283 on: August 07, 2013, 08:07 PM »

I think our Andy likes a challenge, what fun would it be to win in straight sets with no challenges?  Seems often he gets himself in a fix and has to get himself out of it to win.
snap
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #284 on: August 07, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Yes i agree, Andy said he was nervous before the match, which is a good thing because it means he cares, he has also recently said that his main focus is still slams but he is working on being more consistent the whole year instead of just for the big events, i swear this is the sort of match Andy could easily have lost a few years ago.

The problem is during these non slam tournaments, he struggles to be challenged and i am convinced his level drops due to utter boredom at how unchallenging a match is, like today he was 4-1 up and coasting then whoosh bored to death.

I think that it's just something with him compared to say Djokovic who really prefers plain sailing and gets annoyed when challenged, and it's something i think we have all just come to accept from Andy, that's exactly his appeal for me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »