Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions, please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Granollers in 2
Granollers in 3

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers  (Read 3136 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #300 on: August 08, 2013, 09:41 AM »

as one of those guilty of berating him for his 2nd serve in the past - and I've heard Fleming have a go at them in the past too as they float in at 70 something mph - I'm revising my position.  As you say, if they were that easy to punish, people would be punishing them as everyone knows Andy's 2nd serve is slow.  When he's on song, his first serve is brilliant but it can let him down sometimes of course.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #301 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23 AM »

Andy's second serve is pretty bad, but he makes up for it by having killer defense. I'd like to see him improve the speed on his second serve to about 100mph, but it's what makes him feel comfortable that matters.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #302 on: August 08, 2013, 12:19 PM »

I don't think we really need to talk about any improvement in Andy as i think he has done pretty well with what he's got.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #303 on: August 08, 2013, 03:55 PM »

as one of those guilty of berating him for his 2nd serve in the past - and I've heard Fleming have a go at them in the past too as they float in at 70 something mph - I'm revising my position.  As you say, if they were that easy to punish, people would be punishing them as everyone knows Andy's 2nd serve is slow.  When he's on song, his first serve is brilliant but it can let him down sometimes of course.

I feel that part of Andy's second serve success is that although not too fast, he has learnt to serve deep into the opponent's box. Hence his high success rating.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #304 on: August 08, 2013, 04:04 PM »

^ Think you're probably  right because Nole wasn't always able to kill that 2nd serve.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #305 on: August 08, 2013, 04:56 PM »

Knowing Lendl, his philosophy regarding Andy's 2nd serve would be something along the lines of "If you are serving too many 2nd serves, then we need to work on your 1st serve more" Very Happy

Maybe they feel working on a 2nd serve is a negative mindset, the whole purpose being that your 1st serve percentage is actually much more important.

I still think that comms highlighting his 2nd serve is them basically trying to look for a weakness in his game when there probably isn't one anymore.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #306 on: August 08, 2013, 05:18 PM »

Knowing Lendl, his philosophy regarding Andy's 2nd serve would be something along the lines of "If you are serving too many 2nd serves, then we need to work on your 1st serve more" Very Happy

Maybe they feel working on a 2nd serve is a negative mindset, the whole purpose being that your 1st serve percentage is actually much more important.

I still think that comms highlighting his 2nd serve is them basically trying to look for a weakness in his game when there probably isn't one anymore.

I agree with that. The thing with Lendl, it seems to me, is that he doesn't appear to do negativity. I could well see him saying something like that to Andy, making a positive out of a potential negative, if you like. It makes sense as well, get a lot of first serves in, the second serve becomes less of an issue.

I think some of the pundits just like to have something to say to be honest. Makes them look good.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Granollers « Reply #307 on: August 08, 2013, 06:53 PM »

good point about comms focusing on the 2nd serve just to prove they've not lost all their critical faculties
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »