Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic  (Read 10212 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #540 on: December 28, 2012, 04:03 PM »

I cannot understand why some people are so down on Andy when he loses particularly when he is playing exhibition matches. He is obviously tired he flew home from Florida to spend Christmas with his family. Then off to AD then on to Doha. He is now going to fly to Australia. He has done a lot of travelling and it does affect you I know I have traveled 3 times to Australia and back and you do get very tired it takes a few day to get your body back in sync. He will need to have some rest know one is at their best when they are tired. I am sure when it come to the AO he will be 100% ready to give his all.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #541 on: December 28, 2012, 04:09 PM »

An exhibition match is meaningless. There is no edge to it and its just about getting match ready again. I'm certainly not down about it even if others might be. I just don't get this...he's tired/injured whenever he loses. I mean was Tippsy tired as well or was it just Andy?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #542 on: December 28, 2012, 04:10 PM »

I'd be a wreck if I'd done the Miami-London-Scotland-UAE trip - I'm not a good traveller at all! I thought Andy didn't look too bad considering, but must have been jet lagged. I'm not sure how Brisbane will go, as he's not going to have many days to prepare there but expect good things at the AO. It's the court surface that seems to suit his game the most.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #543 on: December 28, 2012, 04:14 PM »

An exhibition match is meaningless. There is no edge to it and its just about getting match ready again. I'm certainly not down about it even if others might be. I just don't get this...he's tired/injured whenever he loses. I mean was Tippsy tired as well or was it just Andy?

Probably just Andy - since you ask, as Tipsy had been training in Doha.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #544 on: December 28, 2012, 04:22 PM »

Aileen......It's one thing to express an opinion, or to disagree with someone else's for that matter, but to say or imply that you're fed up listening to what people are saying, is entirely different. Pure arrogance as I see it and as I pointed out......nobody is forcing them to read anything they don't like! I very much doubt that MW would 'quickly die' if some of these posters stopped insulting people by talking to them as though they were kids!
Ah I see Caz - sorry, I misread your post.  I thought you were referring to people's opinions about Andy.  Yes I entirely agree with you.  There's some posters whose posts I never read (no names mentioned! Whistle )

From Judy's blog:
This is an exo event - 6 stars, 3 days, 1 champ - that's what it's billed as! Rafa pulled out yesterday and was replaced rapido by Nico Almagro. So the line up is : Djoko, Andy, Tipsy, The Berd, Almagro and The Little Beast. Each of the players is paid a fee for taking part and is also expected to perform a number of duties for the tourney and the sponsors. So after practice on the stadium court with Dani and a Thai junior hitting partner, Andy had to do a press conference, then back to the hotel for a photo shoot at the marina with Djoko. Quite a busy day when you're jet lagged. Miami-London-Glasgow-Dubai in 3 days!

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Tennis-blogs/Judy-Murray/Judy-Murray-in-the-Middle-East/

Maybe explains this extra match?
Thanks, Elena.  I hadn't realised all that.  From a Judy tweet, though, I think Andy had arrived in London by or on the 19th, because she said on that date "I've got my boys home", so maybe not quite so stressful, we hope.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #545 on: December 28, 2012, 04:31 PM »

If I've read this correctly it looks as though Andy and Berdy play a bit of doubles against UAE players, then Tipsy v Ferrer before Almagro v Djoko! So none of them get to leave early....

From http://www.mubadalawtc.com/NewsDetails/12-12-28/UAE_S_MOST_PROMISING_TALENT_TO_STAR_AT_MUBADALA_WORLD_TENNIS_CHAMPIONSHIP_2012.aspx

Leading UAE tennis players will live out their sporting dream and star on centre court at Zayed Sports City on the final day of the Mubadala World Tennis Championship 29th December 2012. 

Thanks to an inspiring gesture between tournament organizers FLASH entertainment and Tennis Emirates to encourage Emirati talent, Hamad Janahi and Abdulrahman Al Janahi have been invited to share the opportunity of a lifetime by joining two of the world’s best players in a uniquely designed doubles tie-break play-off to ten points.

The exciting new addition to the tournament’s final day line-up will see the best players from the UAE sample the incredible championship atmosphere in front of a sell-out home crowd at 2.30pm. The 3rd versus 4th playoff match will follow the ‘champions’ tie-break exhibition at 3pm before the ‘winner takes all final’ worth $250,000 takes place at 5pm. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #546 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Clearly this extra set must be part of the contract and it explains a remark Andy made in his post match interview that had puzzled me: something like I hope the fans enjoy us for the rest of the tournament.  I don't suppose it will be televised?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #547 on: December 28, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Thanks, Elena.  I hadn't realised all that.  From a Judy tweet, though, I think Andy had arrived in London by or on the 19th, because she said on that date "I've got my boys home", so maybe not quite so stressful, we hope.

On 22nd December Ollie Golding (and his coach) tweeted messages and photo from Miami "Just finished my last session of pre-season! Can think of worse places to finish it", and to team Murray "thanks guys! Great learning experience. Good banter", then stuff during the the journey home. I'd be surprised if Andy had left before them, but it's possible.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #548 on: December 28, 2012, 04:51 PM »

This is what Andy is up to right now.
He & Berdy are on the stage while Judy is on the fizz.

judy murray‏@judmoo

Its The Muzz n Berd Show at the MWTC player cocktail party. I'm on the fizz. Obviously

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #549 on: December 28, 2012, 05:22 PM »

Ah I see Caz - sorry, I misread your post.  I thought you were referring to people's opinions about Andy.  Yes I entirely agree with you.  There's some posters whose posts I never read (no names mentioned! Whistle )

Thanks, Elena.  I hadn't realised all that.  From a Judy tweet, though, I think Andy had arrived in London by or on the 19th, because she said on that date "I've got my boys home", so maybe not quite so stressful, we hope.
That makes two of us Aileen!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #550 on: December 28, 2012, 06:45 PM »

If you read Judy's blog he certainly didn't get home until 22nd or 23rd, because she said he hadn't time to get over jet lag before they flew out of Glasgow on Christmas evening and arrived on Boxing Day morning, to the hotel and then to the courts for meetings with press etc. She is there as well doing some training with coaches there. Her blog is with twitter.No wonder he looked tired and wasn't able to play 100%.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #551 on: December 28, 2012, 08:06 PM »

Going by people spotting Andy at airports and on planes, he got back to the UK on 23rd, spent the night in London, then travelled to Edinburgh on 24th, went along to a mini-tennis competition where Jamie and some other friends were playing in Stirling (one of them said he flew in that morning), then spent Ihe night in Scotland, the next day with extended family, then flew out that evening.

Obviously he'd be a bit tired/distracted, and not nearly as mentally prepared and in the zone as he'd have been for a competition that mattered, but I'm glad he didn't make that excuse, and instead just said Tipsy played well and he perhaps wasn't quite adjusted to the court speed as he'd have liked.  Tipsy would have had more motivation to beat Andy, and if he's been training locally, he'll be better prepared.  Still, I see why some fans would rather Andy didn't bother with exhos unless he's going to be more up for it, because it can be argued that Tipsy will feel more confident the next time they meet for real.  I suppose that's a risk you take.

No big dramas, except having to read headlines about Andy "crashing out ...", without anyone mentioning it's an exho until later in the feature, if at all. 
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #552 on: December 28, 2012, 08:39 PM »

LOL. Yeah thats why he lost. He was tired. First match of the season and he's knackered already.

For 2013 can people please come up with some original excuses for when Andy loses a match. I think we've all had more than enough of "he was tired", "its his back", "its his left eyebrow" etc. Why can't we just say Tippsy was the better player and deserved his victory.
lol Too true.
Andy is responsible for his match schedule, obligations to sponsers and taking into consideration his body's reaction to long journeys. Other players dont have it any easier.
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #553 on: December 28, 2012, 09:18 PM »

Ruthie, yeah..there is tangible difference in the way he carried himself. I've seen Andy in all his matches here in Dubai since 2010, I saw him once also in Rome 2011 - all before he won the gold and grand slam. I used to think that Andy stoops a bit because he is tall - yesterday though, it was shoulders back and head held high. I don't know, if it's just my imagination but after watching so many matches of Andy both live and on TV - there really is a distinctive difference in his body language. To me, he now appears imposing and kind of intimidating (which I think is good because before he strikes the ball he is already scaring his opponent :-)

On Tipsy's play yesterday, you can really tell about 5 minutes into the match that he really wants to win the game like he was really very serious out there - like a game with ranking points. In fact the way he played kind of surprised me because I had this idea in my mind that it's an exhibition match... a few trick shots, maybe a long rally or two to make the crowd go oh/ahh. Again, this is just IMO or was my expectation. The guy was going for his shots and all, it is my opinion that this kind of surprised Andy too.

There seems to be something wrong with Andy's rackets too. I mean, he changed rackets 2/3 time alone in the first set and gave 2 of his rackets to some court guy to get re-stringed I presumed. He kept tapping (smashing is too strong a word to use) his racket face with his palm as well...like something is wrong with the way it was strung. I find it curious as well that every time he takes out a new racket from his bag, it wasn't in a clear plastic bag like normal.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: MWTC QF: Murray vs Tipsarevic « Reply #554 on: December 28, 2012, 11:39 PM »

If you read Judy's blog he certainly didn't get home until 22nd or 23rd, because she said he hadn't time to get over jet lag before they flew out of Glasgow on Christmas evening and arrived on Boxing Day morning, to the hotel and then to the courts for meetings with press etc. She is there as well doing some training with coaches there. Her blog is with twitter.No wonder he looked tired and wasn't able to play 100%.
Unless there was a good reason for it, surely he had the sense and experience to realise that by flying to London so late, and then on to AD via Glasgow, that he was very likely to be tired and jet-lagged by the time he got there?  Not a very professional approach to a prestitious 'invitation only' tournament who's organisers must have been hoping for a better show, not to mention the people who paid for tickets.

No big dramas, except having to read headlines about Andy "crashing out ...", without anyone mentioning it's an exho until later in the feature, if at all. 
Like the Scotsman, which published a full report of the match like it was a major event under the title "Murray ends stellar year with defeat", thereby completely ignoring the fact that Andy's 'year' had already ended and that this tournament actually heralds the start of the new season, and also that it was an exho. 

On Tipsy's play yesterday, you can really tell about 5 minutes into the match that he really wants to win the game like he was really very serious out there - like a game with ranking points. In fact the way he played kind of surprised me because I had this idea in my mind that it's an exhibition match... a few trick shots, maybe a long rally or two to make the crowd go oh/ahh. Again, this is just IMO or was my expectation. The guy was going for his shots and all, it is my opinion that this kind of surprised Andy too.
I don't know if it surprised Andy or not, although as I've said above his approach seems to have been a bit casual, but it was certainly obvious that Tipsy meant business.  AD has never been the 'hit and giggle' that so many exhos often are.

There seems to be something wrong with Andy's rackets too. I mean, he changed rackets 2/3 time alone in the first set and gave 2 of his rackets to some court guy to get re-stringed I presumed. He kept tapping (smashing is too strong a word to use) his racket face with his palm as well...like something is wrong with the way it was strung. I find it curious as well that every time he takes out a new racket from his bag, it wasn't in a clear plastic bag like normal.
I noticed that too about the rackets and wondered what was going on with them, or whether Andy was just in a feisty mood because he was tired and feeling frustrated because he knew he wasn't playing well?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »