Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012

(Read 1301 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17 PM »

Before Andy I had only a tiny interest in tennis, it was on a similar level to golf in my affections. After he burst on to the scene I started following him, then the sport, and now I'm obsessed with the whole sport, right down to Futures level, seeing which Juniors are bursting through and which Brits are impressing (Oli Golding is the answer to both, by the way).
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Dani.. your story is great!
Like you and Prodigy, I also am prone to asthma due to radiation fibrosis but I have it under control. I have had asthma attacks while watching Andy play in the majors (I'm not joking, silly but true Very Happy)

I would say Andy has been influential in my family.
My son has been struggling in uni, and is repeating his 2nd year. I've been going on at him at how Andy never gives up, but I know it's been mostly white noise up until his loss at Wimbledon. I'd taped the match and was bubbling like a baby at his "I'm getting closer" speech (bubbling again right now as I type.. still gets to me ) and asked my son if he would watch it with me on replay. He did, and was definitely touched and gave me a big hug.
When he came back to win the Gold, he watched the replay of the last game and I got another hug.
When he won the USO, well, me, hubbster and son were doing a major hugfest!

I told him..Andy NEVER gives up on his goals. He's aware now of how many times Andy has tried and failed, but ultimately succeeded.
My son really wants to get this degree, and I've told him sometimes you need to take a few detours to get to your final destination, and that's okay.
Just like Andy.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 05:21 PM »

Thank you Scotnadian-and your story is wonderful too!!
The very best of luck to your son in getting his degree-and he's not alone in maybe taking a little longer than he'd originally envisioned.I myself am in a similar situation with school,and I know it's not been easy on my relationship with my parents,so it's really wonderful to hear about how supportive you are!
I'm with you on crying at Andy's wimbledon speech-I was showing it to my brother a week or so ago,as he hadn't seen it because I couldn't get him to watch ANY tennis with me before the Olympics,and of course now that he's such a fan he wants to watch all the videos I can find to show him!-and I started crying all over again,watching him and Kim & Judy.
It will never be any less sad to watch,but there's also something kind of wonderful about the fact that even as Andy was so bravely joking that he was getting closer,he had no idea just how close he was,how little time he'd have to wait!
Andy's finally achieving his dream after refusing to give up is something I also try to remember,when I'm having a bad day,and thinking that I might not achieve what I want-so I guess I'm influenced by Andy in that way too!Wish my mom was an Andy fan though,so she could remind me like you do-if there's any chance at all he doesn't know it,you tell your son he's lucky! Very Happy
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 05:22 PM »

THe Olympics was when the Nation really came to love Andy.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 05:29 PM »

THe Olympics was when the Nation really came to love Andy.
yes ....finally.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 05:35 PM »

loved reading your story dani.   And it makes me think there are probably many many variations of it, which certainly justifies Andy's inclusion.  And if he gets a tennis centre in Scotland that will be putting influence to work ok.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 05:35 PM »

Too true,Prodigy and Scotnadian!It was extremely overdue,but at least they got there in the end.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 05:36 PM »

You are a sweetie, Dani. But I still kick his butt when he needs it. We told him he will have to pay for his studies now, but what he doesn't know is we will probably do it (we're paying now, but he thinks he will have to pay us back.)
I was at his Uni a couple of months ago, and they had grad pics up on the walls. Loads of grads for loads of programs.. except my son's. Their picture was very noticebly less populated. The drop-out rate for his is 70%, crazy! When I learned this, it made me appreciate how difficult it is, so backed off a bit.

Good luck with your studies.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 05:46 PM »

Thanks Ruthie!

Yeah,I really think there's no way my little brother can be the only kid who was influenced in such a manner-especially with the Olympics having been in the UK.If my brother,who was a kid that was too young to really have much interest in the Olympics before he saw me and my siblings getting into things,was that affected,it must have been so much stronger for kids in the UK,where the Olympics was so built up,and where so many people were getting into it.

I'm not saying Ireland didn't have any interest in the Olympics-certainly everyone I knew was watching them!-but we didn't have,you know,all the activities and souvenirs and build-up and excitement that the UK obviously did-those are things that can attract a kid's attention,and I bet there are tons who got a little bit interested thanks to those,and then found themselves really inspired and affected by the athletes,just as my brother was by Andy.

I hope his dream of a tennis academy in Scotland comes to fruition!I don't know how long these things take,or how hard it would be to organize-but it's clearly something that would be wonderful for the kids who might be interested but have no outlet for their interest.Not every kid can make things happen in spite of not having the facilities like Andy managed to,and I think it's so wonderful that he wants to help out with that.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: Murray Among Top 49 Most Influential Men of 2012 « Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 05:50 PM »

Ahh,thanks Scotnadian,that's lovely of you!That's very generous of you,paying for him.It's a tough old world out there right now-stupid recession!Good on your son,for sticking with his program,when so many might have been put off by it being tough.I hope it all goes well for him!
And thank you for wishing me luck-I kind of need all the luck i can get!So it's much appreciated Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »