Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray finally winning over the British public? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray finally winning over the British public?  (Read 4761 times)
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45 AM »

Came across another article about the front pages/ media reporting: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2012/jul/09/andymurray-national-newspapers1
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 12:06 PM »

The Express, "Tearful Andy Murray loses Wimbledon but wins over a nation."

Daily Mail, "It was the day a nation came to love Andy Murray."

Smile
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 12:22 PM »

The Express, "Tearful Andy Murray loses Wimbledon but wins over a nation."

Daily Mail, "It was the day a nation came to love Andy Murray."

Smile

I'm trying hard not to be smug because that would be wrong for an Andy Murray fan.     However I do wonder why it has taken the nation so long to realise what

Andy fans have known for years - he is pure gold that guy.
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 12:26 PM »

I'm glad I was wrong.

That is all.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 12:27 PM »

Great to see they all finally get it, and are making it headline news.
Completely gutted for Andy, but if this is the silver lining I'll take it.
Thanks for all the posts guys. Smile

btw.. I've completely gone off Neil Harman. Before the match, he was interviewed on ESPN and the interviewer said he loved when he did his imitations of Andy, something he apparently likes to do when following the tournies, and causes great hilarity.
He then did his so-called Andy imitation.
I swear I could have smashed his f*****g face through the tv.
Completely inappropriate and disrespectful. I mean, seriously unfunny, and I've got it on tape. This was no banter.. it just came over as nasty.
Oh well.. he got his 5 minutes of fame on US/Canada TV.. Congrats Neil. Now f**k off.. nob.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 12:33 PM »

I was under the impression Neil and Andy are friends, so I wouldn't let it get to you.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 12:34 PM »

I am so glad that Andy is finally getting through to the rest of the country. It has been a long time coming. At last they see the real Andy, a great tennis player who works very hard and gave his all at Wimbledon. He lost and was truly very emotional at the end of the game. It shows he is not made of stone but a nice guy who puts everything into his tennis.  I am glad he cried it was a release of all the tension and pain he felt. At last the crowd understood him and showed their support. We at MW all know what a treasure he is and wish him all the best for the rest of the year. hug hug hug
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 12:54 PM »

I was under the impression Neil and Andy are friends, so I wouldn't let it get to you.
Yeah, I thought so too. But I did notice a distinct chill in his writing of Andy after he stopped twittering. Maybe he was miffed. There was lots of banter before that. Now I feel he was just courting Andy.
I dunno Mark.. if you'd seen him.
Came across really pompous and arrogant.  W****r.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 02:34 PM »

Yeah, I thought so too. But I did notice a distinct chill in his writing of Andy after he stopped twittering. Maybe he was miffed. There was lots of banter before that. Now I feel he was just courting Andy.
I dunno Mark.. if you'd seen him.
Came across really pompous and arrogant.  W****r.

There's a piece in today's Times, which I read in a library I hasten to add, in which Harman writes how Andy is an enigma.  But yesterday morning on radio I heard him say he really liked Andy with real warmth in his voice.  But he does blow hot and cold I think as I seem to remember he joined the drama queen bandwagon.
I heard a woman on 5 live last night apologise for having been silly and misjudged Andy.  I think alot of people have been won over but there will always be some who refuse to be whatever Andy does or achieves.  They're simply not worth bothering about.  The loss is theirs.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 02:49 PM »

I'm trying hard not to be smug because that would be wrong for an Andy Murray fan.     However I do wonder why it has taken the nation so long to realise what

Andy fans have known for years - he is pure gold that guy.

I don't think it was because Andy cried that had won him over the nation but rather the whole thing. Andy was given a very tough draw and he handled it very well. He handled himself very well. No temper tantrum or whatsoever. There was no fuss about scheduling from his side either (Del Potro along with a couple of others I believe made a slight fuss about it) and finally, in the final, he was ahead of the game and was playing like a champion. Even the casual fans were noticing or becoming aware of these things and finally, when it came to the end and Andy was having difficulties pulling himself together, they all could relate to him as to why he would feel this way. It was like watching a movie. If you didn’t see the whole movie then no matter how much one cries, in the end, you won’t be able to relate to it as much as opposed to the one, who watched it all. Sure Andy lost but in this tournament he was the best player and it was noticeable in the entire tournament. It was also visible how composed he was despite the pressure and tough draw and then eventually running into a player with the most experience on tour with 16 Slams already behind him.  
IP Logged
gingertrixy

Our Champion!!

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 02:55 PM »

I think what happened to Andy over this was the fact that people have not forgotten what he said in that early 1st interview..  I am a Scot..  not English...     Fair do's..  but the nation heard... Rolling Eyes  This nation of ours is a funny old lot...   To us Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish or UK  it is team GB..  well it should be....  but now we know he is a scot 1st and foremost and to him that is important and rightly so...  but it was taken the wrong way at the time and we know what the public and the press are right...  1st impressions never get forgotten...

From that point everything changed..  Andy changed his persona..  his game.... his PR. (Public Relations)      He is a sensitive person as we know and he takes everything to heart... He has a booming serve and a huge second serve now..  he has grown as an athlete and he can run down those balls...  over these last four years the nation has seen this and we saw a champion growing...  He has the game now...  he is now the nations champion and he is now up there with the very best..  Once he wins a grandslam - he will win more...   Federer is 30, Nadal can be beaten,  Djokovich can be beaten...  now the walls are falling...  Nadal taken out by an outsider!!!  Come  on!!!!   OMG  just watch this space in the near future.....

Andy Murray showed us and we showed him that he is OUR Champion..  and boy did he deserve to win yesterday....  I will never ever forget that center court yesterday...the crowd were fantastic...  we knew what we saw.. through out the whole 2 weeks...  The Wimbledon Champion was out shone by OUR champion...  not nastily..  but affectionately  we knew what we were seeing yesterday!!!   cmon yeah
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 04:11 PM »

I wonder if we shall see an increase in the number of new member over the coming days/weeks. Think
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 04:42 PM »

When they reported the change in public perception of Andy on BBC Breakfast this morning they said that previously Andy had been viewed by many as 'surly' and 'apathetic'.  Now 'surly' I can perhaps understand but 'apathetic' - surely not.  I began to believe that perhaps I had misunderstood the word so I looked it up in the dictionary but no, -  my understanding was correct 'lacking in interest and enthusiasm' - what???!!!!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 05:20 PM »

My Scottish friend ended up supporting Federer (big Federer fan though doesn't watch tennis as much and probably watches because of Federer.) She said she felt bad for Andy but couldn't possibly cheer him on against her beloved Federer. Her whole family though was supporting Andy without a doug. She admitted she felt guilty to which I had nothing to say because I’d cheer for Andy against Raonic. Still, somewhere deep down, it hurt a bit.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26 PM »

I don't think I will ever get over this loss....   I need some more tennis to refuel me.  But maybe I need a break.   Think Actually we all need a break from the tennis !!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »