Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray finally winning over the British public? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray finally winning over the British public?

(Read 5351 times)
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 06:12 PM »

So pleased that Andy has won over the media in this country finally! I've been reading this site on and off for a couple of years and it is lovely to watch some of the rare clips and off court videos when he is more relaxed and just himself. Hopefully he will now get the respect he is long overdue as a world class tennis player.

I noticed someone quoted an article where they said Andy had previously been seen as apathetic. I can't for the life of me understand where that opinion ever came from. To me he has worked extremely hard and is now reaping the rewards. 

I'm glad more of Britain now 'get' Andy Murray it's been long overdue!
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 06:19 PM »

Andy's superb tennis has provided the nation with dramatically entertaining sport throughout the last two weeks, the BBC unashamedly giving priority to his matches at every opportunity.  BBC1's primetime schedules have been summarily axed in favour of not missing a moment of Andy's Wimbledon campaign - and quite right too.  He is a global superstar throughout the year but unless, like many of us on MW, you have a Sky Sports subscription or watch streaming from tournaments other than Wimbledon, you'd be hard-pushed to know anything about him, other than a lot of negative nonsense that appears in the press.  British TV viewers have been able to make up their own minds having seen Andy's epic Wimbledon run and they clearly like what they've seen. 

Andy has been the star of Wimbledon 2012.  Federer won the trophy but it was Andy who put the heart and soul into proceedings.  He nearly pulled off the ultimate fairy-tale ending to a divine fortnight but somehow it was just not meant to be.  Andy getting to the final was such a high and it just seemed that winning the title was almost too much of a dream come true to actually happen.  You know when life gets just too good to be true and you kind of worry that things will go wrong as a result....  so maybe what happened yesterday will prepare Andy for next time.  He is now so unbelievably close that it must be a nightmare for him waking up today, bruised and battered from his magnificent efforts, and yet he will know, deep down, that his time is very, very near.

The post-match coverage is phenomenal.  Every TV, radio, newspaper, computer is full of it.  And not just the sports sections.  Andy has grabbed all the headlines as he has throughout the tournament.  It is the first time I can ever remember someone losing eclipsing the winner.  Andy has won over the hearts and minds of the British public through his tennis and sheer down-to-earth soulful goodness.  He doesn't act up for the cameras and say things that people want to hear, he speaks from the heart and is 100% genuine.   wub
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 06:24 PM »

The response is pretty astounding... before the match the very same people mocking, critiscing him were the people crying and moved by him. Thats pretty powerful to be able to change people from haters into fans in just a few hours.

Power to him. cmonandy
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 06:25 PM »

I'm trying hard not to be smug because that would be wrong for an Andy Murray fan.     However I do wonder why it has taken the nation so long to realise what

Andy fans have known for years - he is pure gold that guy.
Haha so true, he has won a lot of fans, but we all knew already. wub
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 06:26 PM »

It's great to see all the positive media coverage today, but a shame that it took a Wimbledon final loss and Andy being emotional on court to get it. Journalists following Andy on the tour must surely know the type of person Andy is, and were in a great position to dispel myths about his personality much earlier in his career but chose not to.

It's always been much easier for the other players who haven't had to contend with such negative media scrutiny. But it's good that now people are starting to see more of the real Andy and like him.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 06:28 PM »

Andy's superb tennis has provided the nation with dramatically entertaining sport throughout the last two weeks, the BBC unashamedly giving priority to his matches at every opportunity.  BBC1's primetime schedules have been summarily axed in favour of not missing a moment of Andy's Wimbledon campaign - and quite right too.  He is a global superstar throughout the year but unless, like many of us on MW, you have a Sky Sports subscription or watch streaming from tournaments other than Wimbledon, you'd be hard-pushed to know anything about him, other than a lot of negative nonsense that appears in the press.  British TV viewers have been able to make up their own minds having seen Andy's epic Wimbledon run and they clearly like what they've seen.  

Andy has been the star of Wimbledon 2012.  Federer won the trophy but it was Andy who put the heart and soul into proceedings.  He nearly pulled off the ultimate fairy-tale ending to a divine fortnight but somehow it was just not meant to be.  Andy getting to the final was such a high and it just seemed that winning the title was almost too much of a dream come true to actually happen.  You know when life gets just too good to be true and you kind of worry that things will go wrong as a result....  so maybe what happened yesterday will prepare Andy for next time.  He is now so unbelievably close that it must be a nightmare for him waking up today, bruised and battered from his magnificent efforts, and yet he will know, deep down, that his time is very, very near.

The post-match coverage is phenomenal.  Every TV, radio, newspaper, computer is full of it.  And not just the sports sections.  Andy has grabbed all the headlines as he has throughout the tournament.  It is the first time I can ever remember someone losing eclipsing the winner.  Andy has won over the hearts and minds of the British public through his tennis and sheer down-to-earth soulful goodness.  He doesn't act up for the cameras and say things that people want to hear, he speaks from the heart and is 100% genuine.   wub
  Good posting!    As always Clemitine .
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 07:23 PM »

This is a Dutch one, Prefere strongly yours!

* 20120709_195305.jpg (90.11 KB, 448x336 - viewed 222 times.)
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 08:27 PM »

I thought it was wonderful all the ovations Andy got when he walked up to the microphone.  The crowds standing and clapping and when Andy teared up all the people who also got teary eyed.....it was truly a heartfelt moment and totally overshadowed any response the Federer got.  They put the camera on Federer during all of this and he just had this "get it over with" look on his face.

It was definitely Andy's moment!!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Did anyone see BBC Scotland news tonight, excellent piece on Andy, Kheradine Nitszan told a story of how when he used to follow Andy on the ATP tour, Andy sent him a birthday card on his 40th birthday and wrote inside "thanks for stalking me all year, have a great birthday".  He said Andy is funny, quiet, shy, courteous and a really nice young man and the people today are only discovering what has been there since the beginning. 

Still feeling it from yesterday but if this is a wee silver lining then at least it is a bit of a consolation.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 09:37 PM »

So many people saying to me today how they have changed their opinion of Andy after yesterday. I'm afraid I have been very smug and said I told you so and smiled. Amazing long may it last. Although I would rather have gone on defending him with a GS title to his name.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #40 on: July 09, 2012, 09:39 PM »

I was under the impression Neil and Andy are friends, so I wouldn't let it get to you.

Not if you read the article Harmen wrote in the times today about getting to know Andy.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #41 on: July 09, 2012, 09:42 PM »

I wonder if we shall see an increase in the number of new member over the coming days/weeks. Think

Yes hope you took the opportunity to increase that "stuff" on the server (sorry all that goes right over my head) lol.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #42 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46 PM »

Actually we all need a break from the tennis !!

My husband certainly does, cant stand the game, spends alot of time on iplayer on the computer. Good job he loves me eh. hug
IP Logged
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 09:47 PM »

I would just like to say that Andy, even in defeat, did himself proud yesterday. That was his best slam final by far to this point. Also, as much as I'm delighted that Andy has won many people over, I'm unhappy that the media are turning his tears into some sort of massive commerical gain. Why are they focusing on how much money Andy can make? I'm not interested in hearing it either, I'm more interested, and undoubtedly Andy is too, in winning more fans and winning some slams. It's a ridiculous slant to put on a young mans emotional turmoil in front of a nation.
IP Logged
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 09:50 PM »

I'm very interested in reading Mr Harman's piece on Murray, but I don't want to pay for it as I don't want to pay for anything that is unhelpful to Andy's cause. Can someone basically give me the gist of what his article was about and the main things he said?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »