Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray finally winning over the British public? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray finally winning over the British public?

(Read 5415 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #90 on: July 13, 2012, 12:31 AM »

I had rather hoped he would lose. How insufferable it would have been to see his face all over the papers, winning but not smiling. I've had the same problem with his face that I had with David Cameron's. I see them in the paper and I rush for the black marker pen to obliterate the image. Who cares about the tennis skills, when he shows not the slightest emotion one way or the other about winning or losing? No joy, no rage, a flat voice. Did he give a toss either way?

Bloody hell.

Can I say, who the hell is she to make comments like that? You don't want to get personal love, just look at yourself you ugly f**k. What have you ever achieved? What gives you the right to make comments like that? Not even remotely true; she clearly doesn't know squat about Andy yet feels it's ok to judge him (attack him, rather) in such a public form?

Clueless ****.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #91 on: July 13, 2012, 12:41 AM »

I've read Michele Hanson's column before, but was disappointed with this one -so have made my comment and recommended others. At least most of the comments are critical.
Favourites are "Was this meant to be an email to your friend? It doesn't really look like an article for a national newspaper", and "I dunno about anyone else but this article is so bad that it nearly made me cry".
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #92 on: July 13, 2012, 12:42 AM »

Bloody hell.

Can I say, who the hell is she to make comments like that? You don't want to get personal love, just look at yourself you ugly f**k. What have you ever achieved? What gives you the right to make comments like that? Not even remotely true; she clearly doesn't know squat about Andy yet feels it's ok to judge him (attack him, rather) in such a public form?

Clueless ****.

I was going to say. What a disgusting piece of **** this article is and what a disgusting woman she is. I don't like Federer but if I were to publish something, I'd keep it more to the point. Even at this age, she hasn't grown up a bit.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #93 on: July 13, 2012, 01:21 AM »

Quite incredible the guardian published it to be honest. What a totally ignorant prejudiced toadlike woman  confused
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #94 on: July 13, 2012, 01:37 AM »

Did anyone see this article in the Guardian?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/09/fuss-about-andy-murray-crying

The writer calls Andy a "miserable Scots toad". How the hell is that allowed?

Eyebrow raise.  It would seem that Andy's far better qualified at playing tennis than she is at writing an article naughty
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #95 on: July 13, 2012, 01:39 AM »

Maybe Nigel could do an article on people writing articles on Andy Think
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #96 on: July 13, 2012, 02:48 PM »

that's really sickening.  ******* racist ****. She's being prejudice. Most of the articles after the Wimbledon final were really heart warming and positive.  But this one is just taking the piss.  What the **** did she know about tennis anyway.    ugh. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #97 on: July 13, 2012, 04:46 PM »

She knows sweet f... all about tennis.  But I'm surprised at her as usually I quite enjoy her column. No more.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #98 on: July 13, 2012, 05:10 PM »

Hope they call Fed the same too then. But people have short memories.
I agree with you though, "real" men do cry in my book.  
[/quote

What rubbish - of course 'real' men cry and are better for it.

Sorry?  confused
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #99 on: July 13, 2012, 06:00 PM »

Sorry?  confused

Sorry bbh - I pressed the wrong 'quote' button!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #100 on: July 13, 2012, 06:04 PM »

I read an article today by Gerald Sinstadt, who, if my memory is correct, is a former commentator or something. I should have got the link for it, but you all know the drill, google Andy's name in google news. I think the article is from a Staffordshire newspaper and it was two or three pages in to google news. If none of you can find it let me know and I will do it and put the link up.

Anyway, the article annoyed me. It almost seemed to mock Andy for crying, as if he cried because he lost, which I still don't think was entirely the case, and sort of implied that this sort of emotion from Andy is the reason he hasn't won majors, which seems rather questionable to me, but there we are. There is also a clear disapproval of what he calls 'mass hysteria', i.e. the level of coverage Andy has received since Sunday.

Worst of all he makes really unhelpful comparisons between Andy, Tim Henman, and wait for it.......Fred Perry. Could they get more predictable? Sure, Perry won majors, but come on, the sport is completely different now to what it would have been in the 30s, when they played in long trousers and had wooden rackets. Now it is a high level competitive sport, in the dim and distant past (admittedly before my time!) it was like they stood at the net and played pat-a-cake, there is just no comparison! Dragging Tim's name in to it as well is just stupid. With all due respect, how many major finals did Tim reach? None. How many has Andy reached? Four within four years. It's funny, some of you will think I'm mad, but I only realised that this morning!

On balance I do think Andy will be better understood by the public now. I think he did show what the support he received in the build up to the final means to him. I also think he showed that he wants to win, that being a 'nearly man' isn't good enough for him. It mystifies me why people didn't get it before, but we all know what people are like.

My only slight concern is that now Andy will be regarded by some with a sort of 'pat him on the head' type of sympathy, which would be patronising. Andy is a serious sportsman, who is working as hard as he can to reach the pinnacle of his abilities and win majors. He played some of the best tennis I think I have ever seen him play at Wimbledon this year, and fought with Federer in the final, it's not as if he stood on the court and handed the match over. What I think people should do is get behind him, support him, but have some patience as well. Judging by the way he played at Wimbledon I really do think the best is yet to come from Andy. He should just be allowed a bit of time to let it.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #101 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17 PM »

tj you're quite right that in any comparison with Tim H Andy wins heads down as, to be fair to him, Henman himself would concede.  But Henman fits the English template of what a tennis player should be like.  Actually I don't feel the massive support for Andy is of the pat on the head variety as while there was great sympathy there is also recognition of how well he played I think and that it was a great Wimbledon final.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #102 on: July 14, 2012, 07:15 AM »

Timmy is so establishment. His grannie played at Wimbles. Andy ain't in that loop and never will be, thank goodness.
[ Last edit by blueberryhill July 14, 2012, 12:08 PM ] IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #103 on: July 14, 2012, 10:10 AM »

Freedom of speech, innit.

I'm all for freedom of speech. I just wouldn't give a platform to an irrational, self-contradictory xenophobe.

It's like giving someone a platform to be racist and then shouting: 'Freedom of speech!!'

Her article shouldn't be censored now that it's out there, but she should not have such a platform in the first place. Use some common sense, Mark. I'll parrot your ridiculously naive line the next time you edit one of my posts.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #104 on: July 14, 2012, 10:27 AM »

Predictably, there was a lot of criticism of the Beeb's coverage of the Wimby semi and final on 'News Watch' this morning ................

'Why was the local news axed for a tennis match?'
'Why so much coverage for an over paid tennis player who lost a match?' 
'For the first time ever I turned off the BBC news.........'  etc. etc. etc.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »