Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray finally winning over the British public? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray finally winning over the British public?  (Read 4802 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #120 on: July 15, 2012, 01:54 PM »

But why, why why come on here confused I have absolutely no desire to go on a RFF site and cause mayhem. WTF's the point fool
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #121 on: July 15, 2012, 02:21 PM »

Hi All,

I'm a bit cross and thought I would come on here and share what has annoyed me (don't worry, it is connected with Andy) and see what you all think.

I attend my local church and after the service today I got talking to some people. They know I love the tennis, and I'd predicted to someone I know quite well that Andy was going to have a great Wimbledon, so I was laughing with her, doing a bit of friendly 'I told you so', sort of things. Then I was talking to some others and couldn't believe the reaction when Andy's name was mentioned. I even heard one person, admittedly an elderly lady who probably knows zilch about tennis and probably thinks that tennis is solely about Wimbledon, saying 'he'll never win anything'. Someone else referred to Andy as 'scruffy', but couldn't seem to qualify in what sense he is, all the usual sorts of things.

My question is, what gives people the right to be so rude? How can people throw around daft statements like 'he'll never win anything', and 'he's scruffy', without having some sort of proof? In short, how can people be so utterly ignorant?

It really does make me think that Britain deserves exactly what it gets with sports people, i.e. football players who couldn't score a penalty if their lives depended on it. There just seems to be no understanding at all that Andy Murray is a phenomenal tennis player in a top quality era. Indeed, with Andy, if he, at four in the world, is competing with the three best tennis players ever (always a debateable topic, I know) you could argue that he is the fourth best ever, even without a major win, although I suppose a major would seal his place.

I do think Andy has won a lot of people over with his performance at Wimbledon, but I think as well he has an uphill struggle with those who don't really understand the nature of his sport, or the work he has put in to get where he is. I also think, and this is probably the wrong thing to say, that he would do really well if he got himself American citizenship. Judging by reactions to him when he has played in the US Open series, he seems to have gone down well, people can see his talent, which is really what it is all about.

Sorry to rant, I feel better now!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #122 on: July 15, 2012, 03:23 PM »

I totally agree.  I have a friend who has visited Wimbledon many times and gives the impression that she know something about tennis.  Imagine my surprise when she said the other day that Andy does not have any talent as he does not win anything.  I will not repeat my reply.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #123 on: July 15, 2012, 03:32 PM »

I heard/read a recent comment that there were more people at wimbledon watching the final than are resident in Dunblane.  For someone from that small town to become number four in the world is quite a feat and something we should all be proud of.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #124 on: July 15, 2012, 03:43 PM »

I heard/read a recent comment that there were more people at wimbledon watching the final than are resident in Dunblane.  For someone from that small town to become number four in the world is quite a feat and something we should all be proud of.

Hi Iris and all,

I don't quite know what the population of Dunblane is, but it wouldn't be very big. I might google it and find out.

It's so right though, what Andy has already done in the sport is phenomenal, given where he is from, meaning that Dunblane, as Andy has more or less said himself, wouldn't have been geared up for a budding tennis star. I'm glad he had the drive to go to Spain when he did, it makes you wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed in Britain and gone through the LTA system at the time. Scary thought!

As far as I can see Andy is the biggest asset ever to British tennis. He is hard working and dedicated to what he does, isn't interested in a cheap celebrity lifestyle and he wants to win. It's not a bad way to be, is it?
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #125 on: July 15, 2012, 03:47 PM »

Very proud of Andy and the way he has handled the media and all the negativity that has been thrown at him.  His strength of character is reflected by the decision he took in going to Spain at such an early age with no family around.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #126 on: July 15, 2012, 04:22 PM »

tj you mustn't let it get to - they're just demonstrating their own ignorance and prejudices.
 doh But glad you feel able to come on MW and share your frustrations with us.
IP Logged
zen

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #127 on: July 15, 2012, 09:07 PM »

But why, why why come on here confused I have absolutely no desire to go on a RFF site and cause mayhem. WTF's the point fool

To defend mankind .
IP Logged
zen

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #128 on: July 15, 2012, 09:08 PM »

not very zen like behaviour so odd choice of new name.  Hope it does mean you really are a reformed character.  Think

Everything happens for a reason . No need to be  curious .
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #129 on: July 15, 2012, 09:12 PM »

Not curious, just sceptical.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #130 on: July 16, 2012, 04:33 PM »

Hi All,

Just to make myself sound completely bookish, not to mention nutty, I did some research into the population of Dunblane.

Depending on what you read, the population is approximately 8,000 people, so basically you could have got the entire population of Andy's birthplace in to the Centre Court on final day.

I'm thinking they should have done it you know, imagine the noise they would have made!
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Andy book signing at Piccadilly, Nov 2013

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #131 on: July 17, 2012, 05:50 PM »

If I was a resident of Dunblane, I'd buy out the local pub, rename it the Murray Arms, and ban everyone Swiss!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #132 on: July 17, 2012, 05:56 PM »

If I was a resident of Dunblane, I'd buy out the local pub, rename it the Murray Arms, and ban everyone Swiss!

And if I was a resident there I'd go in to partnership with you!

Thanks for making me laugh!
IP Logged
mickeypops
Challenger Level

Andy book signing at Piccadilly, Nov 2013

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #133 on: July 17, 2012, 06:02 PM »

And if I was a resident there I'd go in to partnership with you!

Thanks for making me laugh!

You're welcome!

And there's be no cuckoo clocks either. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray finally winning over the British public? « Reply #134 on: July 17, 2012, 06:15 PM »

You're welcome!

And there's be no cuckoo clocks either. 
or rolex watches  w00t
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »