Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray inspires a tennis revival 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray inspires a tennis revival

(Read 717 times)
David
Satellite Level

Murray inspires a tennis revival « on: October 09, 2005, 04:14 PM »

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/othersport.cfm?id=2062462005
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Up to the Mark « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 05:55 PM »

Good article here about Petchey - hope I've copied it in properly - if not, sorry. Smile

http://www.sundayherald.com/52202
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Murray inspires a tennis revival « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 07:24 PM »

Yes I saw something similar in another newspaper. I have to admit, I'm coming round to Petchey. It's easy to criticise someone, who didn't do too well, with his own career, but coaching is a different matter I suppose. Maybe he's just has what is needed...it looks that way!

Andy really does need now to get into the comps that give out RACE points. That means the main tour. In the ENTRY section there's a huge jump to get into the top 50 and I don't think there's enough comps for him to enter, until the end of the year.
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Murray inspires a tennis revival « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 07:38 PM »

I've always been a big fan of Petch. You dont need to be a great player to be able to coach, and I knew of his work with Silvija Talaja. I thought his one drawback was he'd only coached women.

But a good coach (like a good teacher Wink ) has to have the ability to analyse, correct, motivate and change aspects of their pupil while building up their confidence. Mark can do this as well as being young enough to understand a stroppy teenager.

MacEnroe would make a terrible coach on a weekly basis. (Not that he would do that. But there was some talk that Andy should have a few weeks with him) His temperament isn't suited to it. Petch's is.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Murray inspires a tennis revival « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 08:52 PM »

I'm not that knowledgeable about the coaching side of things, but as far as McEnroe is concerned, I think he and Andy would have the most God awful personality clash.  There seems to be great chemistry between Andy and Petchey, and of course while this is only part of what's required, I think it is playing a huge part in Andy's current success - for now anyway.  There will probably come a time when Andy becomes just too big for Petchey - but he's aware of this as he says in the article.
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Murray inspires a tennis revival « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 09:58 PM »

There will probably come a time when Andy becomes just too big for Petchey - but he's aware of this as he says in the article.

I agree, but you'll need big bucks for that and I can't see the LTA paying for that.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »