Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray is pissing me off 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray is pissing me off

(Read 2556 times)
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Murray is pissing me off « on: February 07, 2008, 08:11 PM »

I have a confession to make.

Andy Murray is pissing me off and its gotten to the stage that I dont know If I want to support him anymore. Anyone else feel this? It also makes me consider the possibility that I may stop posting here or just come less often. I dunno.

Mod NoticeSplit posts from The Confessional thread, renamed and moved thread to Andy Talk.
[ Last edit by Mark February 08, 2008, 11:01 AM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:01 PM »

I hope he'll just learn from his mistakes and maybe grow up a bit.
[ Last edit by Mark February 07, 2008, 11:28 PM ] IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:19 PM »

No I don't feel like that, he is young and is entitled to make mistakes, however he should learn from them.

I have no real interest in the Davis Cup and would not care if he never played another rubber for Great Britain  just as I would not be overly upset if he never played another Wimbledon tie if it was not for the fact that he would miss out on slam points.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:29 PM »

I don't care much if he doesn't play in DC either, I just care when the truth isn't told.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:32 PM »

I don't understand, what's wrong with Wimbledon? Is it just Wimbledon you don't care about, or every tourney? Anyway, what would you prefer a high ranking, or to win Wimbledon?
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:47 PM »

When Boris Becker played Miles MacLagan in a 5 setter in 1999 at Wimbledon the crowd were supporting the German over the Scot and I remember thinking what a bunch of f**king arseh**es. Germans would not do this, Americans would not do this and I’m sure if it was Timmy out there the English would not do this.

So since Andy’s rise up the ranking I have always had the feeling at the back of my mind that the crowd at Wimbledon do not deserve to see a Scot play there if this is how his countrymen were treated in the past.

So in answer to your question a high ranking and to win the other three slams.
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 07, 2008, 11:53 PM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 01:46 AM »

...even though its generally agreed that Wimbledon is the most prestigious of all the slams?

By the way, what were the circumstances in that case? Were they just supporting Becker because McLagan is Scottish, or was there a different reason? Anyway, I don't think you can compare it to any other place in the world, since in the UK we're quite unique in having separate countries, which are separated for some other sports, but not for others (like tennis), so of course there will be a greater chance of it happening. Also, can you be so sure that such a thing wouldn't have happened with an English player playing in Scotland? I think it would have happened more often, since the rivalry is generally greater north of the border...
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:36 AM »

Maybe so, but it is the way I feel.

Miles was two sets up and Becker started to make a come back and the crowd made it abundantly clear who they wanted to win cheering ecstatically every point Boris clawed back.

To be honest it does not really surprise me, since the English royal family are German the crowd probably felt more affinity with the box head Whistle

Yes I can not be sure it would not happen if an Englishman was playing in Scotland. But since it is unlikely Scotland will be awarded a slam and even more unlikely that an Englishman will be in a position to win it, we will never know.

If Andy was to win Wimbledon I would not be devastated and when it comes round I will be supporting him all the way, it just given the choice being world number one and the other three slams would be my preferred option.

I doubt very much that I will change my opinion on this and still believe the Wimbledon crowd are arseh**es and do not deserve to see a Scottish Champion, oh and given it's connections with our parasitic monarchy it's another reason why I would not be bothered if Andy never won it.
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 08, 2008, 06:36 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 07:19 AM »

Is it also not possible that it was such an entertaining match that maybe the crowd wanted it to keep going all the way rather than be over in 3 sets?
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 07:35 AM »

I actually remember this game really well because I watched it with my stepfather who was off a generation that has suffered greatly at the hands of the Germans and was not as forgiving as we are today.

He was the first Scot I vividly remember supporting England in everything that they entered as he did with all the home nations, he did not have an interest in tennis but as I was watching it and nothing else on he had little option.

I remember his outrage and bewilderment at the crowd’s reaction and could just not comprehend how they could chose to support a foreign national of a British player.

Alec answer me this, would a New Zealander or Austrailian every support a foreigner over one of their own in the interests of see a longer match or do you think while watching an Arsenal cup tie this is a really good game and Arsenal are 2-nil up, I hope the other team scores so we can have some extra time.

[ Last edit by AL1874 February 08, 2008, 07:56 AM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 07:39 AM »

And besides, if you believe the English don't deserve it because of the treatment to Scottish players, surely the biggest kick up their arses would be for a Scotsman to win Wimbledon, no?

'Parasitic monarchy', wheww... You've got really strong views on a lot of subjects, mostly, it seems to me, based on feelings you have and not cold pragmatic reasoning and facts...
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 07:54 AM »

Well thankfully when it comes to sport I’m not an automaton and feelings do have a major influence in these matters.

Some may say it was only one match and it was years ago what does it matter if the crowd supported Boris three strokes?

Well for me to want a longer game in a neutral match is understandable but against one of your own is unforgivable.

And as for the monarchy, I'm with the Russians on that one, we should have dealt with the Sax-Cobergs the way they dealt with the Romanovs.

If they are not parasitic what worth while function do they perform in a modern Europe and is it of value to the tax payer?
[ Last edit by AL1874 February 08, 2008, 07:57 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 08:00 AM »

Alec answer me this, would a New Zealander or Austrailian every support a foreigner over one of their own in the interests of see a longer match or do you think while watching an Arsenal cup tie this is a really good game and Arsenal are 2-nil up, I hope the other team scores so we can have some extra time.

Certainly not. But that was sort of my point. Given the crowd were probably mostly English, was a Scottish player really "one of their own" or was it more a neutral match?
As Yamor said, I have absolutely no doubt it would have been exactly the same had it been an English player against a foreigner in Scotland, in whatever sport.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 February 08, 2008, 08:03 AM ] IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 08:02 AM »

Yes, the queen is the head of state. In other countries, like for example, the USA, the president is head of state, and does the duties associated with that, as well as extra money spent on him because of that which we do not spend on Gordon Brown, for example. Also, a lot of damonirts have worked out that the gain from tourism because of the royal family is an extremely good investment for tax-payers money, and far outweighs the cost of their upkeep...
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Murray is pissing me off « Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 10:04 AM »

Certainly not. But that was sort of my point. Given the crowd were probably mostly English, was a Scottish player really "one of their own" or was it more a neutral match?
As Yamor said, I have absolutely no doubt it would have been exactly the same had it been an English player against a foreigner in Scotland, in whatever sport.

Yet they seemed to care that Andy was British when he supposedly made the comments about the World Cup. The Wimbledon crowds can't have it both ways. They can't not support a Scot because he isn't 'One of their own' and then complain when a Scot does something that isn't altogether British!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »