Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] **

(Read 3535 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « on: October 01, 2005, 04:52 PM »

Can Murray take a set off the mighty FedEx then?
IP Logged
Jills
Satellite Level

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 05:04 PM »

I don't see why not, Andy is playing so well and Federer is only human after all! (Might not seem like it sometimes tho!)
IP Logged
David
Satellite Level

Hi all « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 05:52 PM »

If the other teenagers Gasquet and Nadal can beat Federer and the world's number 133, Marcos Daniel can take him to a tie-break, then Andy has a chance, albeit a small one. The one weakness of Federer could be complacency, but he doesn't suffer from that very often. Andy could try to keep him off his backhand and play to his other 'weakness' the forehand, but remember, his forehand is one of the best in the game!

Good luck Andy you'll need it. If you win this one, we can contemplate the new Fred Perry!
IP Logged
Mike

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 05:57 PM »

Well would it be so over optomistic to think that murray could scrape a victory from Federer? He certainly seems unbeatable but then the three times hes lost this year have been to teenagers. It suggests that he may not adapt quickly enough to new styles and people he hasn't played before and as we saw in the Davis cup andy's very inventive on the court, several times putting winners past Federer. There'll be no lack of motivation for murray to win this match, its going to be extemely tough, not impossible but even if he takes 1 set it will still be headline news.

To win this Murrays got to be on top form, high 1st serve percentage and full concentration. Perhaps catching Federer on a bad day aswell. I would rate a win for andy at 20%.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 07:35 PM »

Quite frankly I'm beginning to believe that anything is possible as far as Andy is concerned.  I thought I'd have to wait at least another year or two to  to see Murray take on Federer in a tournament final - how wrong I was Exclamation  I don't think Federer will be relishing the prospect of this one - let's face it the pressure is all on him.  I hope Andy can relax and play a good match, whatever the outcome.  

Today I thought Andy came through another hurdle, as he didn't really play as well as he could, and he still won the match.  Sign of a champ!  The boy oozes charisma.

GOOD LUCK ANDY Very Happy  Very Happy
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Murray vs Federer « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 09:32 PM »

I think Murray could win a set. Winning the match, I don't think so, Agassi couldn't...
I wish him the best of luck!
IP Logged
LondonJambo

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 09:41 PM »

Does anyone know which tournaments Andy is playing after this one??
IP Logged
Riverman
Veteran

Hello

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 09:42 PM »

Quote from: "LondonJambo"
Does anyone know which tournaments Andy is playing after this one??

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=61841&subForumID=176598&action=viewTopic&commentID=4257422&topicPage=
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 10:03 PM »

I don't see why he will be doing any challengers now, surely his whole schedule will change.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 10:45 PM »

And some!
IP Logged
kundalini

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 10:49 PM »

I hope Andy attacks Federer but I can't see it being a close match. He isn't ready yet. In a couple of years' time perhaps. I would like to see if Andy has the weapons to hurt Federer so time to bring out all the big shots and just go for it.

Andy is in the draw for Mons Challenger. His first round opponent is Ivo Heuberger.

The cut off dates for direct entry lists for ATP tournaments is 6 weeks in advance. He is on the direct entry list for Mons, Sacremento and Kolding Challengers. In effect this means he cannot play in other tournaments in those weeks.

(1) Olivier Rochus (wc-Bel) vs Oliver Marach (Oos)
Arvind Parmar (Gbr) vs Teimiraz Gabashvili (Rus)
Lukasz Kubot (Pol) vs Frederic Niemeyer (Can)
Jean-René Lisnard (Fra) vs (5) Daniele Bracciali (Ita)
(3) Christophe Rochus (Bel) vs Simon Greul (Dui)
Q. vs Q.
Edouard Roger-Vasselin (Fra) vs Michael Berrer (Dui)
Marc Gicquel (Fra) vs (6) Jerome Haehnel (Fra)
(8) Dick Norman (Bel) vs Kristof Vliegen (Bel)
George Bastl (Zwi) vs Steve Darcis (wc-Bel)
Nicolas Mahut (Fra) vs Nicolas Devilder (Fra)
Q. vs (4) Ivo Karlovic (Kro)
(7) Andy Murray (Gbr) vs Ivo Heuberger (Zwi)
Gregory Carraz (Fra) vs Antony Dupuis (Fra)
Julien Benneteau (Fra) vs Q.
Stefan Wauters (wc-Bel) vs (2) Xavier Malisse (wc-Bel)
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 11:05 PM »

I wondered too if it might just be a bit too soon for Andy to play Federer.  But then I got to thinking that he's such a fast learner, that whatever the outcome of the match, Andy will learn heaps from it, and maybe that's why he's destined to deal with this challenge tomorrow.  Tomorrow's match will be a  great tool for Andy to measure just where he is in in his game.  I can't help but repeat what I've said before....

Be afraid Federer...... be very afraid - if not for tomorrow but for all the other tomorrows that are coming your way in the shape of one Mr. Andrew Murray.  You look at Andy and he still has the physique of a boy, and once that fills out and strengthens.......well, it's a mighty scarely prospect.  I love it Exclamation  Exclamation  :twisted:
IP Logged
kundalini

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 12:26 AM »

I suspect that Federer will see in Andy a player not too dissimilar to what he was like at that age. And he will know the timescale for this type of player to turn into a contender. This is not to say that Andy will ever get to be as good as Federer or even close, but in no way is Andy your average top 100 player.

Few players break into the top 100 before they are 20. Those that do tend to make it into top 20. Sure you get the odd freak like Hewitt or Nadal that can get into the top 5 in their teens but others take a little time to mature both physically and mentally. Some players' games are richer, more sophisticated and take that bit longer to put all the pieces in place.

Andy's game is complex. It is not always clear what he is trying to do. Sometimes he appears to have too many options. But in time he will figure when to use each shot, when to play safe and when to attack.

So even if Roger doesn't regard Andy as much of a player now, he will realise that in one or two years' time Andy could well be a tough opponent at the later stages of a grand slam event.
IP Logged
crookshanks
Challenger Level

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 08:18 AM »

oh, I didn't realise Andy was playing in the Mons challenger! It's reaaly close to my home, so if he does play I might go and see him, even if it is only a challenger!
IP Logged
crookshanks
Challenger Level

Murray vs Federer ** [Official Topic] ** « Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 09:19 AM »

Is anyone of you watching the match?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »