Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Musings on 2014 so far 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Musings on 2014 so far

(Read 2452 times)
Milly87
Futures Level

Musings on 2014 so far « on: August 08, 2014, 09:38 PM »

Not sure what my thoughts are of Andy's 2014 so far....  confused

On the one hand, some decisions or lack of haven't helped him, for example not taking on a minor tournament to pick up both points and practise. He's kinda regressed in terms of the negative self talk too which is a real shame.

On the other hand, I've heaps of sympathy with everything that's happened. Not just in terms of surgery, Lendl. His team has changed quite a bit, this can really affect how you feel about yourself and how much faith you have in yourself. In his team he's the boss and in the past he's mentioned how difficult he's found it to be open and assertive about his needs.

Adding to this, his current ranking and it's impact on his draws must be so alien to him after so many years in the top four.

Andy's said himself the hard works been put in and now he needs to produce results , it's not like he doesn't know the pressures on to get some good wins, imagine how frustrated he must be with himself knowing he's coming up shirt in comparison to his true potential?
Make no mistake, he's under no illusions, he understands the situation better than us.

Everyone that knows him says how sensitive he is, so my worry is the mental impact lack of results will have, getting over poor confidence is worse than physical recovery in my opinion.  He's post match summaries may frustrate you but it'd be reckless to openly discuss his concerns with the press, that actually adds a pressure to keep up the appearance so the media and other players don't get a whiff of his mental fragility in these times.

I wonder if needs an actual break to discover why he plays the game and rediscover his passion, not a mini break in Miami filled with gym and watching tennis but a proper one going back to his roots, being amongst his family....
All in all, I worry for Andy the person rather than frustration at the player.

IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22 PM »

He needs to win consistently and if that means swallowing his pride and playing some lesser tournies to get matches and points then so be it. But we all know he won't.  No WTF for him this year.  A poor ranking for AO and the cycle starts again.  Will someone please tell him how it is.  Anyone got Lendls email address.  Yes men/women don't work.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:34 PM »

He needs a slice of good fortune, something from somewhere. A draw full of players who aren't playing great or are not good on the day, something that will turn the tide. Was hoping it might be here in Toronto. The draw opened up with Djoko out and Gasquet withdrawing, but alas no. The same thing that has plagued him all season rears it's ugly head again.

I'm quite prepared now to just write 2014 off. I don't like Mauresmo as his coach (which has nothing to do with her gender) i just don't think she brings anything to the table. With Lendl we saw immediate change, with Mauresmo i see nothing but his game going backwards.

His confidence is shot to pieces, i'm genuinely concerned he will retire soon if he adheres to what he said a few months back "if i start to feel like i can't win these events, i'll pack it all in"

Well it's starting to look that way. I hope he proves me wrong but every tournament he just proves me right. He lacks belief in himself, and i now lack belief he will ever get back to the top.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36 PM »

Do either of you know if Judy was at today's match?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:37 PM »

Do either of you know if Judy was at today's match?

She was at the match, looking totally bemused
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:41 PM »

What gets me is all this trying to introduce more variety to his game, like in the pre-Lendl years. Oh yes, the pre-Lendl years when he didn't win two slams and an Olympic gold.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:43 PM »

1) Mauresmo is a disaster of an appointment.
2) Murray has lost motivation big-style since Wimbledon 2013.
3) He needs Lendl back, but that isn't going to happen.
4) he hasn't given 100% in a non-slam for 17 months now and it's affecting his slam performances.

Ah well, it was good while it lasted.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 09:41 AM »

Up til Wimbledon Andy reached quarters of most events (2 semis and a few 3rd rounds) by never playing particularly great, some flashes of his best but mainly quite scrappy by his standards. Wimbledon and Toronto were also qf but prior to losing we saw far better play from Andy - hopefully this is due to the fact that this was also when he started to feel good about his back again. I don't think we should underestimate the effect not being able to train properly has had - and to be fair the 3 weeks he just had isn't going to miraculously make up for a year of not being able to train properly. So although those losses were disappointing, hopefully heading in right direction.Also, Andy seems more disappointed by those losses, a signhe is now expecting more of himself again. Also don't think we should overlook how well his opponents have played at times.

Now, this may be way off the mark but regarding all the matches he's lost from being ahead ... in the docu 'When Andy won Wimbledon' they showd him and Kim watching and discussing the final game. He talks about how he almost lost it and how it would've been the biggest choke in tennis history. Kim kind of stroked his arm reassuringly saying 'but you didn't' - in  a way that suggested this was not the first time they'd discussed it. Could the game he almost lost be what is tripping him up when he gets ahead, does he keep thinking what if I blow it this time  and play too cautiously (and blow it)?  Just a thought.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 10:37 AM »

It wouldn't be the first time that a player fails to recapture form after surgery. It's looking increasingly likely that Murray's peak is in the past. What remains to be seen is if he can lift himself to occasionally threaten at the sharp en d(like Federer this year), or if he's just going to slip down the rankings.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 12:02 PM »

Andy will come back from this, maybe not this season but he will reach his peak again. It's not all over. I firmly believe that.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 01:13 PM »

Andy will come back from this, maybe not this season but he will reach his peak again. It's not all over. I firmly believe that.

Me too Very Happy
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 01:22 PM »

He needs a slice of good fortune, something from somewhere. A draw full of players who aren't playing great or are not good on the day, something that will turn the tide. Was hoping it might be here in Toronto. The draw opened up with Djoko out and Gasquet withdrawing, but alas no. The same thing that has plagued him all season rears it's ugly head again.

I'm quite prepared now to just write 2014 off. I don't like Mauresmo as his coach (which has nothing to do with her gender) i just don't think she brings anything to the table. With Lendl we saw immediate change, with Mauresmo i see nothing but his game going backwards.

His confidence is shot to pieces, i'm genuinely concerned he will retire soon if he adheres to what he said a few months back "if i start to feel like i can't win these events, i'll pack it all in"

Well it's starting to look that way. I hope he proves me wrong but every tournament he just proves me right. He lacks belief in himself, and i now lack belief he will ever get back to the top.

Too negative.

He has lost two matches since being fully fit physically (my view) and both to players really "up" for a win.

I have angered many here by saying that he is not match fit mentally. I still think that. Whether the problem is the wrong coach the wrong playing schedule is not really measurable by us.

I still think that he needs matches. It was a pity that Gasquet pulled out. Even Miles M said that that the missed match may be a problem now for Cincinnati and US Open and I tend to agree. It is though a "may be" and Andy when he can focus well can pick himself up.

Sad to see him so distressed at dropping his serve twice after having the lead in the decider yesterday. He is close so let's not despair.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 01:33 PM »

I'm a "positive poster" so shoot me now!!  After being told on the match thread last night that my posts are annoying I don't really care because for me if you choose to support someone it doesn't mean ripping them apart when they don't do so well it means keeping the faith and keeping the belief that they will come good again.  Sure last night was  disappointing as Tsonga is a player that AM usually owns but Tsonga played really well last night his serve was amazing - but Andy gave him that win in the third set - did he want to I think the smashed racket at the end would tell us no - he was proper raging but to me that's a good sign - he still wants it.  Did he play terribly last night - no he hit some amazing shots - that's a sign he's not lost it, it's all still there.  Did he play well - in parts he did and in parts it wasn't good, it was poor but I think AM might just realise that and he'll also know that he needs to sort it.  I don't think for one minute his career has reached it's pinnacle - he still wants it you could see that from his reactions last night.  He's going through a bad patch and one that he and his team have to find a way out of.  He is not an "embarrassment" he's a tennis player whose struggling to find his way post surgery and post split from his high profile coach - any upset / trauma takes time to get back on an even keel.  I don't think it's time to press the panic button yet, I believe he will find his way back and for those saying he should be back to normal now, it doesn't always happen like that after surgery.  I think it will happen it's just going to take a bit longer for him to piece things together.
My one wish - the match threads could be like they were a couple of years ago - pleasant, a place to exchange views without the constant angst of having to read posts from supposed fans saying "he's finished" "his careers over" he's an embarrassment".  Of course there are times when Andy plays poorly and of course he's not going to please all the people all of the time but there are constructive ways to say something without resorting to what goes on.
Hopefully come the end of the year we will be united in saying "crisis - what crisis"
#allinforAndy
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 01:37 PM »

I'm a "positive poster" so shoot me now!!  After being told on the match thread last night that my posts are annoying I don't really care because for me if you choose to support someone it doesn't mean ripping them apart when they don't do so well it means keeping the faith and keeping the belief that they will come good again.  Sure last night was  disappointing as Tsonga is a player that AM usually owns but Tsonga played really well last night his serve was amazing - but Andy gave him that win in the third set - did he want to I think the smashed racket at the end would tell us no - he was proper raging but to me that's a good sign - he still wants it.  Did he play terribly last night - no he hit some amazing shots - that's a sign he's not lost it, it's all still there.  Did he play well - in parts he did and in parts it wasn't good, it was poor but I think AM might just realise that and he'll also know that he needs to sort it.  I don't think for one minute his career has reached it's pinnacle - he still wants it you could see that from his reactions last night.  He's going through a bad patch and one that he and his team have to find a way out of.  He is not an "embarrassment" he's a tennis player whose struggling to find his way post surgery and post split from his high profile coach - any upset / trauma takes time to get back on an even keel.  I don't think it's time to press the panic button yet, I believe he will find his way back and for those saying he should be back to normal now, it doesn't always happen like that after surgery.  I think it will happen it's just going to take a bit longer for him to piece things together.
My one wish - the match threads could be like they were a couple of years ago - pleasant, a place to exchange views without the constant angst of having to read posts from supposed fans saying "he's finished" "his careers over" he's an embarrassment".  Of course there are times when Andy plays poorly and of course he's not going to please all the people all of the time but there are constructive ways to say something without resorting to what goes on.
Hopefully come the end of the year we will be united in saying "crisis - what crisis"
#allinforAndy

Good posting!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Musings on 2014 so far « Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 01:55 PM »

While I didn't say anything last night remotely negative, remember this.

I'm all in for Andy, but I'm a massive pessimist, and have been for all my life. I refuse to change my DNA for a small group of people on this site. So if I am negative, let me be negative. Just the same for everyone else.

Thank you Smile
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »