Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  MWTC QF: A. Murray [3] vs. J. Wilfried-Tsonga [6] (26th December 2013, 2pm GMT) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Reply
Author

MWTC QF: A. Murray [3] vs. J. Wilfried-Tsonga [6] (26th December 2013, 2pm GMT)

(Read 4570 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Didn't realise he'd be playing again tomorrow!

Against my man Stan. DOUBLE BONUS!!   drool
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Is the match over???  Will Andy play another match tomorrow?

Tsonga won 7-5 6-3
Andy plays Stan tomorrow
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

oh here we go I see boogers is back full of seasonal cheer to welcome Andy's return to match play.  doh

I thought Andy did pretty well all things considering.  There were some great moments when we saw glimpses of Mr Magic already.  He seemed pretty happy at the end and that's the main thing ie he felt ok playing a competitive match.  And while I forget the match, the comms said he played a lacklustre match against Tipsy this time last year and it didn't stop him winning Brisbane and getting to finals of AO.  Now I'm not necessarily expecting him to do as well this time round given the surgery but it strikes me as somewhat premature to write off the American hard court season on the basis of an exo match in which Andy is feeling his way back into competitive tennis.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Rusty I can understand.. but he was moving around the court like a wheelie bin filled with jelly. That's quite concerning.
Rubbish.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Rubbish.
Nemo. hug
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Rusty I can understand.. but he was moving around the court like a wheelie bin filled with jelly. That's quite concerning.

Think you've answered your own question. Wouldn't the rustiness and not wanting to push too much be a factor?

I myself had to take a whole month from sports this past September due to an eye surgery. It took me a good month of gym and tennis to get myself back in the swing of things. With Andy his career could be affected if he doesn't ease his way back in. For me, I didn't want to affect my vision for the rest of my life at 35.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

That was pretty much the result I expected to be honest. I don't think Andy won a match in Abu Dhabi last year, but went on to have a great AO.

Andy was a bit rusty, that was all. He probably wasn't quite match sharp. I didn't think he was moving at all badly, all things considered. Sure, he was making some mistakes he wouldn't usually make, which gave JWT a lot of confidence, quite clearly, but come on, Andy was out for four months. All he needs is to play a bit. I'm not going to stress about anything before the AO.

It was an exhibition. In almost every exhibition match I've seen Andy play he doesn't really get himself fired up. He does, and I'm sure he will, when it matters.

Andy plays Wawrinka tomorrow. I will not be stressing the result, as much as I'd love Andy to get a win.

In the meantime, good to know the doom-monger is still on form.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

On this evidence, Murray looks a very long way from being match fit. I can't see him doing much until the clay court swing, if then.

Yeah were you thinking the same when he lost here 1st round last year?
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

I know we all think we know better than Andy, but he had to go into this match to see what kind of niggles would come from it.  Checking to see how his back felt.  To not over do is a good thing.  I bet he will play a little harder against Stan.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

I thought Andy looked ok, all things considered. He was obviously rusty but he didn't seem to be hurting physically which is a good sign. Some nice points too, especially in the first set.

We'll probably have to wait until his first couple of matches in Doha to get a better idea of his physical condition. He never seems to win exo matches these days even when fully fit.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Considering the length of time out from injury some good play from Andy. Timing is off sometimes , to be expected, and that is costing him points. I doubt he is too unhappy with his game. He isnt running at full pace either ...at least doesnt seem to be to me. Its an Exo match...and I doubt Andy wants to play Djoko or Nadal at this stage ..lose and give them an edge going into the Oz open.

Absolutely! Am sure the timing will improve match on match - no doubt the reason he is playing dubs in Doha. He could easily have come on today and been hammered, he wasn't, in fact he did better than last year v Tipsarevic. And everyso often we got a wee look at the old magic - it's all still there waiting to burst out. Tsonga is no slouch and as Andy said, he was just pleased to get back on a match court which is a big step up from practice sets. 31/2 months is a long time in sport, esp a precision one. Was great to see him play, he gets another chance to shake a bit more rust off tomorrow, a few days to work on stuff and onto Doha. Nice wee Boxing day afternoon!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

I'd forgotten he's playing dubs in Doha ww.  He'd have been mad to play all out his first exo match back.  As he himself said JW was that much sharper than he was but I saw enough of the old Murray magic to feel pretty confident he's come through the op ok. It will just be a matter of time now before he can reach his former heights. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Ruthie, Andy was fairly lacklustre against Tipsy last year. I saw that one and seem to remember certain people working themselves up about Brisbane and the AO. Well, Andy won the one and reached the final of the other, so it wasn't so bad.

First and foremost I just think it was nice to see Andy back out there today. He didn't touch his back once that I can recall, which has to be good, and he seemed to be happy enough at the end. I still think he was moving pretty well, and he did play some good stuff. There were some uncharacteristic errors, fair enough, but I don't see anything to panic about. Cometh the hour, cometh the Murray, or to put it another way, when it matters Andy will be ready.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

He won't win Doha or the AO, but I don't care. It's just nice to see him back. He will slowly and surely improve as the season goes on.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

You never know prodigy, you never know.....
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »