Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 3 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 ... 734 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 442403 times)
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3480 on: September 19, 2012, 12:03 PM »

http://www.theironyou.com/2012/09/andy-murray-bikram-yoga-enthusiast.html
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: News Articles « Reply #3481 on: September 19, 2012, 11:38 PM »

This is truly strange.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/andy-murray--an-apology-8142293.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3482 on: September 19, 2012, 11:43 PM »

I knew a couple of years ago that Andy had started practising Bikram yoga, but, as he says, it isn't for the faint-hearted!   Apart from what it says in that article I remember Andy saying that, because Bikram is practised in sauna-like conditions, it's ideal preparation for the hot, humid conditions he sometimes has to face.

I do like the two pics of Andy doing yoga postures - they're almost ballet-like.  It would be nice if we could see some more.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: News Articles « Reply #3483 on: September 19, 2012, 11:45 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/andy-murray--an-apology-8142293.html
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3484 on: September 20, 2012, 12:49 AM »

I assume that article was being sarcastic and that the author was trying to reiterate their dislike of Andy in spite of the media's recent positivity towards him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3485 on: September 20, 2012, 12:54 AM »

I didn't like the tone of it either.  Pretty nasty imo.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3486 on: September 20, 2012, 01:08 AM »

The author obviously think he or she is being clever and witty, they failed on both counts, a prime example of the journalistic mentality of this country disrespecting it's target audience and underestimating the pulse of the nation judging by the comments that were left on that pathetic article, disgusting tbh.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3487 on: September 20, 2012, 02:17 AM »

I only read a few of the comments, which actually made encouraging reading, but this one sums my feelings up exactly - "Good grief - this from a supposed "quality" masthead....do you actually employ any experienced journalists these days?"

The Independent should be thoroughly ashamed of itself for allowing this tripe to be published.

Yesterday's Daily Mail was bad enough when it published an article (not online) claiming that Judy Murray was a "hard, ambitious woman" who had pushed Andy throughout his career and was responsible for actively encouraging other "pushy" mothers who wanted their children to succeed in sport.  All total nonsense, but it seemed unusually bitchy even for the DM.  Maybe there's some kind of bizarre journalistic reaction going on now after all the praise they lavished on Andy after the Olympics and the USO.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3488 on: September 20, 2012, 02:30 AM »

I only read a few of the comments, which actually made encouraging reading, but this one sums my feelings up exactly - "Good grief - this from a supposed "quality" masthead....do you actually employ any experienced journalists these days?"

The Independent should be thoroughly ashamed of itself for allowing this tripe to be published.

Yesterday's Daily Mail was bad enough when it published an article (not online) claiming that Judy Murray was a "hard, ambitious woman" who had pushed Andy throughout his career and was responsible for actively encouraging other "pushy" mothers who wanted their children to succeed in sport.  All total nonsense, but it seemed unusually bitchy even for the DM.  Maybe there's some kind of bizarre journalistic reaction going on now after all the praise they lavished on Andy after the Olympics and the USO.

Yep, journos in this country are not content with lavishing praise on anybody who becomes a success, in order to stand out they resort to sensationalism, build them up just so they can knock 'em down again - no wonder Andy gives them a wide berth.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #3489 on: September 20, 2012, 08:53 AM »

I saw the Independent piece and thought it was disgraceful. I'm inclined to agree with a lot of the comments that were left, which basically suggested that it was a pathetic attempt at satire that ended up being nasty.

I think there will always be people who swallow every word the press say as gospel truth. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people say 'it says in the paper, so it must be true', not just about Andy, but about all sorts. I think there is a lot of tall poppy syndrome with our press as well, that urge to build people up just to knock them down.

Still, I may be wrong, but I do get the feeling that on the whole the tide has turned for Andy with the public now. There will always be idiots who continue to believe the negative stuff, but I really do think a lot of people can see what he's achieved over the summer and will judge him, if that isthe right word, on what he does on the court in future.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #3490 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31 AM »

Still, I may be wrong, but I do get the feeling that on the whole the tide has turned for Andy with the public now. There will always be idiots who continue to believe the negative stuff, but I really do think a lot of people can see what he's achieved over the summer and will judge him, if that isthe right word, on what he does on the court in future.

Yes I think so too - everyone loves a winner, and now that he's won a slam I don't think he'll get as much criticism any more. It's a shame that a lot more people weren't prepare to support him before though. But I noticed this with Novak last year - he suddenly had lots more fans than he ever had before just because he started winning slams again. There's a lot of gloryhunter fans out there, and the press are the same too.

The Independent article is vile - satire is supposed to be funny and it fails completely - there was no need for that personal attack on Judy either.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3491 on: September 20, 2012, 10:51 AM »

That article is disgusting.

Anyone know who the author is?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #3492 on: September 20, 2012, 01:37 PM »

Part of my college homework for the week was to find and bring in an example of 'bad writing.'

Thanks for helping me out with that, dr chef.

This is an abysmal example of so-called 'journalism.'
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3493 on: September 20, 2012, 01:42 PM »

No wonder there's no name beside it.

What a bizarre and baffling article.
IP Logged
batz

Re: News Articles « Reply #3494 on: September 20, 2012, 02:02 PM »

Does nobody read Private Eye?  This is a straight blag of one of their 'Apology' pieces.  Sorry - I'm just not getting the 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' type comments - it is a satire of the newspapers who were previously rotten to Andy but are now blowing sunshine out of his @rse , not of Andy himself.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 232 [233] 234 235 236 ... 734 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »