Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 505156 times)
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3495 on: September 20, 2012, 02:10 PM »

Does nobody read Private Eye?  This is a straight blag of one of their 'Apology' pieces.  Sorry - I'm just not getting the 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' type comments - it is a satire of the newspapers who were rotten to Andy, not of Andy himself.

We know - but it's extraordinarily badly written.  Satire doesn't need to be so obvious - it should be a scalpel, not a sledgehammer.  That article tries so hard to be clever it fails completely and just ends up sounding mean-spirited; it reads like somebody trying to explain the joke while making it, and it's hard to escape the feeling that the type of opinions this article is ostensibly trying to lampoon were held previously (or still) by the writer.  There are things repeated in it that if you're a genuine fan you wouldn't repeat even if you were trying to be funny - they blatantly weren't funny when it was fashionable to treat the Murrays as punchbags and they still aren't now.

If they want to be funny they can try coming up with something a bit more original.  Or writing farce - subtle is not that writer's strong suit.
IP Logged
batz

Re: News Articles « Reply #3496 on: September 20, 2012, 02:33 PM »

It's not meant to be subtle.  It's meant to be bone-jarringly obvious - like the hypocrisy it is highlighting.   You are right that satire doesn't need to be obvious, but it doesn't need to be subtle either - it not being to your taste doesn't make it any less satirical. 

If you think that the writer had an ulterior motive for writing the piece then fair enough - you're perfectly entitled to that view.  To me it looks like exactly like a Private Eye 'apology' piece.       
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3497 on: September 20, 2012, 02:47 PM »

Yeah batz, but the problem I had with this piece is that it's not what you would usually expect from The Independent, and certainly not from Paul Newman. I'm assuming he wrote this as he is their tennis correspondent. If not, I ask myself why the author's name is missing.

I wouldn't have a problem with seeing such an article in Private Eye because that's what to expect there.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3498 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01 PM »

Completely agree - it's one of the best broadsheets in the country, the only time I want to be lampooned reading the Indy is on April 1st.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #3499 on: September 20, 2012, 03:37 PM »

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8095005/

Nishikori to learn from Murray

IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #3500 on: September 20, 2012, 03:39 PM »

Heeee, I'm not a newbie anymore!!!
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3501 on: September 20, 2012, 04:31 PM »

how can someone just  say that. Frown      I know its  freedom of speech,  but surely there must be  a limit.  it's disgusting.    You know Andy's been through so much in his career - so much pressure and so much hate for him for no reason what so ever.  it just infuriates  me   ranting  just give Andy a break  - he has done nothing wrong.  He doesn't deserve this.   The Uk doesn't deserve Andy.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3502 on: September 20, 2012, 04:49 PM »

how can someone just  say that. Frown      I know its  freedom of speech,  but surely there must be  a limit.  it's disgusting.    You know Andy's been through so much in his career - so much pressure and so much hate for him for no reason what so ever.  it just infuriates  me   ranting  just give Andy a break  - he has done nothing wrong.  He doesn't deserve this.   The Uk doesn't deserve Andy.

I see the satirical element of the article went right over your head. Very Happy
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3503 on: September 20, 2012, 04:56 PM »

I see the satirical element of the article went right over your head. Very Happy

of course it did.  Very Happy      ugh  they  types of articles can just gtf tbh.  So annoying.  Pretty sure Andy doesn't read any media  or these types of  these articles, so why should we get worked up about it.       *this article does not exist and therefore I shall not get worked up about it*   
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3504 on: September 20, 2012, 07:23 PM »

It's not even remotely funny though.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3505 on: September 20, 2012, 07:25 PM »

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8095005/

Nishikori to learn from Murray

Ah I love Kai Kei (so much that I can't even spell his name right doh) . Him and Tsonga my favourite players I think, besides Andy of course.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter September 21, 2012, 12:05 AM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3506 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25 PM »

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/09/Feature/RICOH-MatchFacts-Federer-Djokovic-Murray-Nadal-In-Own-League.aspx

I'm loving finally that people no longer question that it is indeed now a big 4. to me it was always a big 4 but to others they excluded Andy due to him not winning a slam, now there is no argument Smile

Anyway, one of the regular commenters on that site a one Mr Usman Shahid, is a renouned Murray hater and Fedlicker, who i have argued with over the last few months, although since Andy won the US he's been unsurprisingly quiet, but i do keep my eye on him and like to put him down when he starts barking, and i know he will be back when Andy suffers a defeat in the future. The best thing about that site is you can comment without actually having to join the site, one thing i detest having to do even though i get tempted at times when i see people being Andy bashing.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3507 on: September 20, 2012, 10:43 PM »

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/09/Feature/RICOH-MatchFacts-Federer-Djokovic-Murray-Nadal-In-Own-League.aspx

I'm loving finally that people no longer question that it is indeed now a big 4. to me it was always a big 4 but to others they excluded Andy due to him not winning a slam, now there is no argument Smile

Good article, thanks for posting. I'm sure it was just round about Wimbledon or Olympics time that I was still reading articles that said to talk about the 'big four' was an insult to the 'big three' This made me so annoyed at the time. So glad that has all changed even if there is a bit of bandwagon jumping involved!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3508 on: September 21, 2012, 12:02 AM »

It's not even remotely funny though.
It isn't even satire which is -

1. The use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

2. A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

'Human folly'?  'Vice'?  Do any of these attributes apply here?  This article was written by some small-minded, malicious, smart-ass who hopefully is no longer employed by the Independent; and if it was in fact written by a "contributor" then the Editor should be hauled over the coals for allowing it to be published.

Ah I love Kai. Him and Tsonga my favourite players I think, besides Andy of course.
Kei's one of my favourites too.  He's shown so much guts and determination to succeed, even to the extent of going to the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy so's he could, as he put it, "learn to play like a Westerner".  I thought it was quite interesting though that he declined to extend his contract with Brad Gilbert beyond the end of last year.  Maybe, like Andy, Kei has a few ideas of his own which he's reluctant to change.

It used to infuriate me when I heard people referring to the Big 3 plus Murray, like he was some kind of after-thought.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3509 on: September 21, 2012, 02:07 AM »

The article in the Indie is  offensive particularly to Judy. Private Eye apologies were genuinely funny usually poking fun at some pompous politician - I am sure whoever wrote this did not intend to insult but unfortunately they went too far with the abuse and character assassination. I wish the English press would stop using the expression "dour Scot" as if his nationality was something to be ashamed of.  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »