Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 [236] 237 238 239 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 506327 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3525 on: September 23, 2012, 06:02 PM »

A fascinating read.  Thanks Laundry.  Andy definitely picked the right man for the job.  I really liked this bit though -

"Didn’t you rub people up the wrong way?" I asked him. "Yeah," he replies, "but they got over it eventually." Not in every case. What about that time when Cash had to be pulled off him in the Monte Carlo locker-room after somebody ripped up his shoes?

"I was there but I didn’t do it," he says. "Pat found his shoes in front of my locker or in my locker or something. Everything was always easy to pin on me. That time I was innocent. I know who did it. It’s the same when anything happens in Andy’s team, they look at me first. That’s alright. As long as it keeps them loose, it’s good."

And that is exactly what Andy and his team need.  They certainly weren't serious all the time, but what about all these stupid forfeits games they played, like they were a bunch of kids?  I was never sure exactly what these were supposed to achieve, but if they were intended to help Andy, then the benefits escaped me.  All work should have some fun attached to it, but that fun has to have its limitsotherwise it becomes counter-productive, and that's what Lendl recognises.

I can never take anything in the Bleacher Report too seriously because a lot of their material comes from "contributors", and this writer choses to include a marriage proposal in his predictions? Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't worry too much, Zarfeen.  Andy will still have pressure, that's par for the course, but I really think that the media on the whole will be sensible enough keep off his back, at least for the foreseeable future.  Also he's finally got that terrble 76 years expectation out of the road, and that will probably make any other expectations considerably more bearable.
[ Last edit by Aileen September 23, 2012, 06:15 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Articles « Reply #3526 on: September 24, 2012, 01:46 AM »

You're very welcome everyone.  Sorry that I didn't do it for his Olympic win - I still have the newspaper about, so I just might see what was in there for then.

We have 3 condensed versions (weekly summaries) of British newspapers here - Telegraph, Express and Guardian.  Not all of them are available in my little town though.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3527 on: September 24, 2012, 01:51 AM »

Thanks Bevvy.
Just like your neck of the woods, I find it funny how all of a sudden folks here in Toronto know who 'Andy Murray' is.
Gotta love it, eh? Very Happy
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Articles « Reply #3528 on: September 24, 2012, 02:02 AM »

I guess I should have had a look was was in the Herald (national NZ paper) and Waikato Times (local paper) to see what they had written about Andy but he got good coverage on one of the national tv news stations.  Which really surprised me since there was international rugby and netball on - NZ staple diet Rolling Eyes

I'm waiting for AO merchandise - Fed has been on there the 2 years that I went Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3529 on: September 25, 2012, 09:44 PM »

Interesting quotes here by Andy (from the Charlie Rose interview)
http://tennis.si.com/2012/09/13/andy-murray-charlie-rose/

• “My opinion of [Djokovic's] game is that he’s so consistent. He’s like a wall. He’s so fast around the court. He reaches every single ball. I’m not quite as flexible as him, I don’t reach as many balls as him. I play with a little more variety. I try to change the pace of the ball a little bit so I don’t give my opponent the same shot in a row. Some in club tennis would call it “junk”.

• “I try to anticipate the ball well. That’s something that’s helped me since when I was a kid. Just learning to anticipate and read the game well. That’s helped me. When I moved over to Spain and I was 15 I was playing with big guys who were 22 years to 28 years old and I was 15 so I couldn’t beat them with power. I had to beat them with touch shots and variety and anticipation and all of those things. I learned a lot when I was over there.”

• “In the past when I was younger I would play too far behind the baseline and be a bit passive because I was quick enough to get to a lot of balls. I would play defensively and rely on speed to win matches. Ivan [Lendl], when I spoke to him before we started working together, he said you need to go for it. You can’t sit back and let these guys dominate you and dictate you. It’s not fun. It’s painful on the body and you need to make them do some of the running as well. So that’s what I tried to do.”

• “Roger Federer plays with a very loose racket. So the tension of his racket is very low so he doesn’t need to swing as hard at the ball as some of the other guys because it comes off his racket a lot quicker. he plays very close to the baseline, he has very classical technique. He just looks good when he’s on the court.”

• “The brute force that Rafa [Nadal] plays with and the intensity that he has from the first point through to the last. He’s one of the best competitors I think that tennis has ever seen and probably won’t see for a while. He’s like a Jimmy Connors, I think. That sort of energy and enthusiasm every time he steps on the court.”
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3530 on: September 25, 2012, 09:57 PM »

Very interesting - thanks sn.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3531 on: September 26, 2012, 01:01 AM »

Thanks from me too.  Andy is so honest when it comes to these sort of interviews.   Interesting what he says was the reason behind his earlier passive play.  I hope Boogers and a few others on here read this. Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3532 on: September 26, 2012, 06:37 AM »

Glad he's listening to Lendl at blooming last.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3533 on: September 26, 2012, 04:42 PM »

Over 600 members turned out in force on Saturday 22 September to be treated to a unique sell-out show of Murray magic.

Andy joined Wentworth in July along with his brother and doubles partner Jamie Murray, both of them being very handy golfers. With little time to bask in the glory of his Olympic gold and US Open victory, Murray hasn’t yet had time to tee it up on one of the three championship courses at Wentworth.  However, he was gracious enough to prioritise his fellow members and entertain them with two hours of intense tennis and a question & answer session. Andy stepped on court and was put through his paces by one of his coaches, Dani Vallverdu, who took him through an authentic practice session allowing the crowd to see first-hand exactly how he trains. Then, Murray played with Miles Maclagan versus Wentworth’s touring professional Kevin Ullyett and James Marsalek in an entertaining and fast paced doubles set.

One of Wentworth’s showbiz stars, Sir Bruce Forsyth, was one of the many members spectating and helped conclude the event by encouraging Andy to take part in the new series of Strictly!

Afterwards, Andy went the extra mile to sign autographs for his fans. Members even had the chance to donate £1 to the Captain’s charity and get an Andy Murray wristband as memento! Speaking after the event, Andy said "I've really enjoyed my time at Wentworth today, it's great to meet so many tennis and golf members. I look forward to coming back soon to use the facilities and get my handicap down - it's currently 18 and I haven't lost on it!"

Very Happy    Andy on strictly.  hahahahahaha  imagine that   Wink        such a great interview.   Andy is such a great role model Very Happy  Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #3534 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Thanks from me too.  Andy is so honest when it comes to these sort of interviews.   Interesting what he says was the reason behind his earlier passive play.  I hope Boogers and a few others on here read this. Whistle

It sort of sounds as if the fact that it was Lendl telling him that he needed to change his way of playing really clinched it. I guess you don't argue with a multi-slam winner lol. I wonder as well if it was Lendl's approach, telling Andy that it was tough on him to play in the way he was, tough on his body. That's surely quite a thought.

I wonder in the past if previous coaches have just taken the approach of 'you won't win by playing like that', which seems the wrong approach to me, considering that playing like that, up to a point, WAS getting Andy wins. Putting it to Andy that changing the way he plays would be easier for him, at least easier on his body, makes sense to me. Good one Mr. L!

The thing that really interests me in the article is Andy's analysis of his own game. I really do think his anticipation is second to none. His variety is incredible, and his speed around the court is unbelievable at times. Add in his flair and it's delicious. Of all the players in that elite group, Andy, to my mind, is the most entertaining to watch because his game has all of these facets.

Thanks for posting the article Sn.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3535 on: September 26, 2012, 06:30 PM »

This isn't exactly a news article but I was intrigued by an ad in the London REview of Books for a play at the Edinburgh Fringe: Federer vs Murray.  I guess none of our Scottish members caught it as I don't recall anyone mentioning it.  Anyway here's a revew of it I found on the web though to get the transcript of the play one has to subscribe to the magazine that has printed it.  It sounds like quite an experience.

http://www.womanaroundtown.com/sections/playing-around/battle-of-the-ages-federer-versus-murray
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3536 on: September 26, 2012, 06:37 PM »

This isn't exactly a news article but I was intrigued by an ad in the London REview of Books for a play at the Edinburgh Fringe: Federer vs Murray.  I guess none of our Scottish members caught it as I don't recall anyone mentioning it.  Anyway here's a revew of it I found on the web though to get the transcript of the play one has to subscribe to the magazine that has printed it.  It sounds like quite an experience.

http://www.womanaroundtown.com/sections/playing-around/battle-of-the-ages-federer-versus-murray
Trouble is Ruthie that there's just such a massive amount of stuff around during the Fringe (3,000 different acts, to be exact) it isn't surprising this got overlooked.  Also I see the date on the article is April 2012, so exactly in which Fringe did this play appear?  My guess would be 2010 or 2011.  Doesn't sound quite my cup of tea, but it's interesting, if a little bizarre, that they used Fed vs Andy as an analogy for the war in Afghanistan - that is, if my understanding of the play is correct.

Over 600 members turned out in force on Saturday 22 September to be treated to a unique sell-out show of Murray magic.

Andy joined Wentworth in July along with his brother and doubles partner Jamie Murray, both of them being very handy golfers. With little time to bask in the glory of his Olympic gold and US Open victory, Murray hasn’t yet had time to tee it up on one of the three championship courses at Wentworth.  However, he was gracious enough to prioritise his fellow members and entertain them with two hours of intense tennis and a question & answer session. Andy stepped on court and was put through his paces by one of his coaches, Dani Vallverdu, who took him through an authentic practice session allowing the crowd to see first-hand exactly how he trains. Then, Murray played with Miles Maclagan versus Wentworth’s touring professional Kevin Ullyett and James Marsalek in an entertaining and fast paced doubles set.

One of Wentworth’s showbiz stars, Sir Bruce Forsyth, was one of the many members spectating and helped conclude the event by encouraging Andy to take part in the new series of Strictly!

Afterwards, Andy went the extra mile to sign autographs for his fans. Members even had the chance to donate £1 to the Captain’s charity and get an Andy Murray wristband as memento! Speaking after the event, Andy said "I've really enjoyed my time at Wentworth today, it's great to meet so many tennis and golf members. I look forward to coming back soon to use the facilities and get my handicap down - it's currently 18 and I haven't lost on it!"

Very Happy    Andy on strictly.  hahahahahaha  imagine that   Wink        such a great interview.   Andy is such a great role model Very Happy  Smile
Good article.  Thanks for posting.

I've only once seen Andy attempt to dance.  It's on a par with his singing.  Awful!

Translating "It's great to meet so many tennis and golf members", into Fed-speak - "It's great so many tennis and golf members met Me".  Andy is just so modest and appreciative of everyone and everything.  Sounds like fun day all round.  I'd like to have watched the practice session though.  It would very interesting to see what his training involves.

I wonder if Andy will follow Lendl and take up golf after he retires from tennis?  He says he would be looking to do something away from tennis, but somehow Andy sitting at an office desk doesn't easily spring to mind.

[ Last edit by Aileen September 26, 2012, 06:55 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3537 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46 PM »

That article is disgusting.

Anyone know who the author is?
I'm pretty sure that it is NOT Paul Newman.  I read the Independent (together with Guardian) and his pieces are always v fair and well informed. I've also seen him on TV and remember being impressed by how positive he was about Andy compared with eg Neil Harman who was being interviewed at the same time.  Unfortunately I was away then so can't check the actual paper but it's possible it wasn't even in the sports pages. It seems like quite alot of coverage of Andy's USO triumph was on the main pages of the papers.    Even if it was a satire of Private Eye type apology I don't think it's the kind of thing PN would write.

Oh and Aileen love your translation of what Andy said into smugfed-speak - spot on  clap
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: News Articles « Reply #3538 on: September 26, 2012, 11:46 PM »

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/09/catching-tape/39571/#.UGOFsI1lRcQ
IP Logged
Eddster
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3539 on: September 27, 2012, 12:32 AM »

Fantastic spot Craig, very interesting, Murray's better at what he did then but also more aggressive by say 10-15% which is enough for him to be a Grand Slam Champion! What a journey Smile

I forgot he had got to 5 all in the second... who knows what would have happened if it had gone to the third.....

I can't wait to see Murray strike that first ball in anger in Tokyo Smile I think it will be like when Neo realised he was 'the one' lol Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 [236] 237 238 239 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »