Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 2 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 ... 778 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 496038 times)
Apollo
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4170 on: November 19, 2012, 04:50 PM »

I love the idea that Lendl plans to stay with Andy.  He will improve Andy's play which will increase his chance to win more grand slams.

I think the idea that he would buy an old hotel in Dunblane is exciting.  With his interest in style and all he could create a hotel that would bring many tourists to Dunblane.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4171 on: November 19, 2012, 05:55 PM »

Now let's just wait for the Andy bashers to accuse him of being greedy and only interested in wealth.  The fact that it sounds an excellent idea for boosting the local economy as well as providing jobs will be totally lost on them.
I recall some years ago Andy saying that his accountant deals with all his tax etc. and that he has investments in property, I wouldn't be suprised if he has bought the hotel.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4172 on: November 19, 2012, 06:36 PM »

The sale hasn't happened yet (apparently), but it's fairly normal for people in Andy's financial situation (short, but lucrative career) to invest in property.  As his hard-earned Golden Post Box is now part of the local tourist trail, and an asset to the tourist economy, Andy may as well get some benefit!  That said, it's probably already factored into the sale price.  Whistle

I like that the current owners are keen that the business stays locally run, but that's not always possible, so if Andy is genuinely interested, then it could work well for all involved.   It closed before, for financial reasons, so this sort of investment is often risky, but it may simply be that the hotel and estate needed further investment, but this is where having someone with a local connection, but experience of international travel, would come in handy!  It may be the current owners are entering into detailed negotiations with the three bidders specifically to make sure that whoever takes on the business is going to take it seriously, and has ideas - rather than just going for the highest bidder.

In other news, Boris Johnson has been wading in on the whole Starbucks/Google tax issue.  He thinks it's right they should pay more tax (I agree), but uses the fact that if Andy had won Wimbledon, he'd have paid more tax on his winnings than any of the other final 16.  I'm not sure how accurate that is, but as so many tennis players have chosen to live in tax havens, I'm not sure that's a technically robust comparison.  However, it does underline the fact that Andy is one of the less greedy tennis players who would rather live in his own country and pay the relevant taxes that go with it.  I'm so glad Andy didn't do a Lewis Hamilton by moving to Switzerland, then complaining that it's dull.  I'm not sure who might try to call Andy greedy for investing in a hotel, but it does seem that many other tennis players are called greedy by the general tennis following community, but not Andy.  I'm sure someone will find an instance if they go looking, but in terms of general perception, he doesn't have that reputation.

Andy and money also comes into play with this report about Josh Goodall considering retirement next year, as he's finding balancing the books difficult.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20398356

I think it would be helpful if reports of big prize money also came with the caveat that this money is not a take-home salary, but is expected to covers the employment of the whole entourage, plus travelling expenses, so direct comparisons with footballers whose expenses are borne by the team are not credible.  Then again, the top players also earn from endorsements, so that more than evens things up.

It will be a shame for Josh if he does give it up, but I do think that the point of Futures tournaments is to get people onto the tennis ladder, and barring coming back from injuries etc, a player should expect to progress beyond them to sustain a career.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4173 on: November 20, 2012, 11:06 AM »

Sky Sports talks to Ross Hutchins about Olympic and US Open champion Andy Murray

Andy Murray will be fighting it out for the number one spot in world tennis next season, according to great friend and occasional doubles partner Ross Hutchins who has been delighted with the improvement of the Olympic champion.

Hutchins has been at the World Tour Finals in London and although Murray could not end his year with a win, 2012 has still been an extraordinary one by anyone's standards - but he believes it could be just the beginning.

After training with Murray for the last few years, Hutchins is well placed to notice the changes in the British number one at first-hand, which have led to his grand slam breakthrough at the US Open and of course that amazing Olympic gold medal win.

Hutchins says Ivan Lendl has made a difference and a more aggressive approach has taken Murray to that next step of winning a major title.

"Andy's had such a great year - doing so well at Wimbledon in making the final, only losing to Federerin a fantastic match and then at London 2012 bringing the gold and silver home he was fantastic," Hutchins told Sky Sports.

"Of course he won the US Open as well, which was always his favourite major so it wasn't a surprise to see him win his first one in New York.

"I've seen it at first hand with Andy as I've trained with him the last five years in Florida, he does absolutely everything to get there and now he's trying to do a bit more to get to the number one spot which I think he will do over the next few years.

"I'm lucky that he's one of my best friends so we spend so much time together and get on really well and I've seen him grow in terms of stature and self-belief.

"He's walking around now thinking 'I've won a slam now, I'm the man to beat' and he deserves that, he's brought that on himself with his brilliant results and you can see people feel like that when they play against him.

"I think he's grown because of Ivan Lendl, I think his team is fantastic but Lendl has done a fantastic job - he's made him more aggressive, his temperament is slightly different this year as he's a bit calmer on court.

"His ball striking is so much bigger, he doesn't hit what players would call nothing balls anymore and rely on only his speed, now he dominates the court from the middle and it's made all the difference."

Roger Federer battled back to the number one spot during 2012 and also beat Murray in a superb Wimbledon final, but Hutchins firmly believes Murray will be battling it out with long-term rival Novak Djokovic for top spot next year.

"So much credit to Andy at four in the world to not rest there and to think if I improve this I'll go to three and win a slam and in the next couple of years I think he'll win more slams and go to number one or two in the world.

"I think it'll be between Andy and Djokovic over the next couple of years, Roger's the best player ever but I think with the court speeds and majority of events being played on clay and outdoor hard courts doesn't favour him.

"You can never count Federer out, and he's proven he's still hungry getting back to number one this year, but I think over the next few years it's between Andy and Djokovic - those two have taken tennis to a new level in terms of physique and it'll be very exciting to see them fight it out."

2012 has seen a more emotional Murray on the court and off it, especially after a heart breaking Wimbledon final loss, but he has gained many fans off the court and the nation seems to be warming to him a lot more as the real Andy Murray emerges.

"Andy's always been quite a shy person who didn't let anyone see the side of him he showed to his friends," Hutchins explained.

"But now he is showing them a bit of that and people are warming to him as they should do because he's a great guy, very funny, a very emotional guy who's just like any other person.

"He's not really holding anything back now and it's so nice to see the public seeing who he really is and they are warming to him and starting to love him as a person, quite rightly, because not only is he an outstanding tennis player but also he's a great guy.

"He is very competitive though, even in training he wants to win all the time. When we train we do have a lot of fun. But the work he's put in and the shape he's got himself into is quite astounding, the way he's able to run around and play matches like the Olympic final, he was so fresh to be able to take Federer down the way he did and if he can continue he can reach the very top."

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12040/8246219/Sky-Sports-talks-to-Ross-Hutchins-about-Olympic-and-US-Open-champion-Andy-Murray
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4174 on: November 20, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Lovely article, thanks Dani. I like Ross, I remember the great interview he did with Andy during the rain at the USO last year. That was funny, and showed Andy in a brilliant light.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4175 on: November 20, 2012, 09:05 PM »

http://www.thetennisspace.com/review-of-andy-murrays-season/

I think the first paragraph sums up a lot of people here  Whistle
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4176 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17 PM »

http://www.thetennisspace.com/review-of-andy-murrays-season/

Good article. Thanks for that.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4177 on: November 20, 2012, 09:19 PM »

Ha!  Yes, I think most of us could do with a reminder that ups and downs in tennis aren't just to be expected, but they are inevitable.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4178 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30 PM »

USA Today's top ten tennis moments of 2012.  Andy gets two (and a bit) mentions! clap

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2012/11/20/2012-serena-williams-maria-sharapova-roger-federer-rafael-nadal-andy-murray-andy-roddick/1715377
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4179 on: November 21, 2012, 12:23 PM »

Ivan Lendl threw up his own Iron Curtain on Wednesday when reporters probed about the state of Andy Murray's mind and his game as Britain's newly minted Grand Slam champion switches his focus to the Australian Open. "I never get into the details of his game with anyone because it not necessary for anyone other than Andy to know," the Czech-born Lendl said in familiar taciturn style.

The former world number one - now a U.S. citizen - steered Murray to the U.S. Open crown in September, ending Britain's wait for a men's grand slam singles champion which had stretched back to 1936. Like Murray, Lendl lost the first four grand slam finals he contested but then went on to win eight, failing only at Wimbledon.

Now Britain's barren spell is broken, many expect Murray to emulate his coach and win several more, but Lendl cautioned it would be far from easy. "Well obviously that is the goal," he said when asked if Murray could win in Melbourne.

"But tennis is very difficult at the moment with (Novak) Djokovic, (Roger) Federer, (Rafa) Nadal and Andy all very good at the moment so it is going to be difficult to succeed.

"Yes he does have a chance but I can't make any predictions." A question on whether Murray could now dominate the sport was rifled straight back like a Lendl service return of old. "I am not going to go there," he said. "The only way to answer that is to take one match at a time, one tournament at a time and see what happens."

Lendl, in Hong Kong to promote a global 'BNP Paribas Tennis Showdown' event next March in which he will play old nemesis John McEnroe, said it was impossible to compare eras. "I think there are many eras in the game and there have been many good players at the same time," he said. "You can look at the early 80s with (Jimmy) Connors and McEnroe, (Bjorn) Bjorg and myself, you can go back in to the 60s and 70s and there are many good players there.

"I don't think we should be comparing one era to another because you just can't compare them." One comparison he did make, though, and the unflattering conclusion he reached was that he would not be able to live with Murray were the two to play now. "Andy would kill me," he said. "All you have to do is look at the sports against time - swimming, athletics etc - and compare the times from today compared to 30 years ago and you will get the answer."

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/ivan-lendl-tightlipped-as-andy-murray-targets-melbourne/306666-5-22.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4180 on: November 21, 2012, 12:34 PM »

Read in the paper this morning that Andy has given the top he wore when he won the US Open to be sold for charity. Very kind of him to do. He has signed the top which is being sold for the Angelus Foundation who highlight the dangers of so called legal highs. The auction is being held by Kerry Taylor auctions on December 4th.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4181 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34 PM »

I think Lendl is very wise in his dealings with the press in terms of Andy. It seems clear to me that he thinks Andy has potential to win a number of slams, but I love the way he won't put a number on it, and won't have the press suggesting it will be easy. The last thing Andy really needs now is the press building him up to kick him down if he fails to meet their standards.

Also like the comment he makes about not being able to compare eras. Very true.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4182 on: November 21, 2012, 03:14 PM »

I think Lendl is very wise in his dealings with the press in terms of Andy. It seems clear to me that he thinks Andy has potential to win a number of slams, but I love the way he won't put a number on it, and won't have the press suggesting it will be easy. The last thing Andy really needs now is the press building him up to kick him down if he fails to meet their standards.

Also like the comment he makes about not being able to compare eras. Very true.

Same feelings TJ Smile
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4183 on: November 21, 2012, 04:44 PM »

Yes Lendl is very wise he keeps his thoughts between him and Andy. Then the press cannot blow anything out of proportion. The last thing Andy needs are untrue reports from the press going out and causing bad publicity. It is terrible that he cannot express his thoughts freely without having to be guarded in what he says.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4184 on: November 21, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Exactly LLB, that is another thing I love about Lendl, so glad Andy has him, they are a great combination. Happy to hear Lendl say's he will be with Andy for the rest of his career. It took Andy quite a long time to get a new coach, but he hit the jackpot with Lendl!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 ... 778 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »