Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 294 [295] 296 297 298 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 469308 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4410 on: December 17, 2012, 09:50 AM »

Gr8 from Kev M clap Love him  wub
Though by accident... Whistle saw Mail journo also rooting for Andy yay

Welcome to the club,BBH Very Happy

Actually,to be fair,if you're talking about Mike Dickson,he's pretty great too.I only really started reading his pieces this year-before that I basically  tried to avoid the DM unless looking at the pictures-so I have no idea how long he's been writing about Andy or if he was always good at writing about him,but he's been great this year,especially in the latter part of the year,so I've been keeping an eye out for his articles.
[ Last edit by xxdanixx December 17, 2012, 10:06 AM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4411 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39 AM »

If it's really about sport, Murray should have prevailed over Wiggins

You could easily have made a case for half a dozen different winners. And that’s just among those who didn’t make the top 12.

It is inevitable, then, that last night’s BBC Sports Personality of the Year victory for Bradley Wiggins will not represent the end of the debate.

Ah, how glorious it is to argue over which of Britain’s multi-talented, honour-laden, phenomenally successful sporting ambassadors should be named first among equals in a public poll.

Anyone who knows athletics understands how impossible it should have been for Mo Farah to do the distance double. Or how about Jess Ennis, THE face of London 2012, having missed Beijing through injury?

Chris Hoy, Britain’s greatest ever Olympian. The Paralympians who changed attitudes about disability in Britain — and beyond. All held a claim on the crown.

But, if it’s really about the sport, the prize should have gone to Andy Murray.

Put bluntly, he didn’t just succeed when it mattered — he also triumphed with the weight of history on his shoulders.

That is not something you could say about even Wiggins,  as remarkable achievement it was being the first British winner of the Tour de France.

While that historic victory will stand for the ages, it is not as if Wiggo has had to deal with years and years of endless questioning over when one of ‘our boys’ might finally end the wait for a Continent-conquering road warrior to emerge.

As much as we all celebrated the win by a fantastic athlete and all-round geezer, if he had finished runner-up or even ninth, the nation would have shrugged and moved on.

Murray? Every time he has ‘squandered’ a Grand Slam opportunity, the wailing and gnashing of teeth has been heard around the world. Oh, how could that serial Scottish loser possibly let Britain down again? He alone had lived with the ghost of Fred Perry, British angst, 1936 and all that.

And he’d failed in four Slam finals. No one had ever lost their first five. No other nominee can understand what it’s like to have lived under that kind of expectation for more than just a couple of weeks during one glorious sporting summer.

Let the debate continue, then. Enjoy it. We may never get the chance to argue like this again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2249314/SPOTY-2012-Andy-Murray-won-Bradley-Wiggins.html
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4412 on: December 17, 2012, 05:27 PM »

Mike Dickson can do so much better than the Daily Mail. For a start he actually uses common sense and doesn't try to sensationalise non-stories.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #4413 on: December 18, 2012, 11:16 AM »

http://www.thetennisspace.com/andy-murray-ill-be-fitter-than-ever-in-2013/#.UM3rqvpqJ0I.twitter

Even Andy's noticing he gets older (can not eat what he want off season anymore....)
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4414 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13 PM »

LLEYTON Hewitt wants a blockbuster Brisbane International showdown with world No.3 Andy Murray - the player he believes can claim more top honours now that he has shaken the Grand Slam monkey off his back.

Hewitt had predicted Murray's imminent breakthrough prior to the London Olympics and now that the Brit has netted that title and a thrilling US Open win, many believe more major triumphs are on the horizon.

World No.83 Hewitt has not played Murray since his one and only loss at San Jose in 2006 and would relish the opportunity to face one of the world's top four players to help prime him for another Australian Open assault.

"Murray is the main guy in the field again and you don't really want to come up against him first round, but it'd be nice to have a shot at him at some stage," Hewitt said at the Queensland Tennis Centre yesterday.

"I think it could really open the door for Murray to do well now (after winning the US Open). Once he got that first one off his back I think the pressure is really off him and he can go out there and play some good tennis.

"While Grand Slam success is all that is motivating Hewitt now, his record against the quartet of Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Murray and Rafael Nadal suggests the Australian needs as much practice as he can get.

His win over Roger Federer in the final at Halle in 2010 is Hewitt's only success from 20 matches against the top-four in the past six years.

Hewitt predicted world No.6 Thomas Berdych and No.7 Juan Martin Del Potro to be the best challengers among the current top 10 for Grand Slam success next year, but added everyone faced a gigantic common hurdle.

"You probably have to beat at least two or three of those guys in a row to win a Grand Slam," Hewitt said.

"That is the toughest thing at the moment."

But for Hewitt, that prospect is more attainable now than in recent years after he finally overcame debilitating injuries that required five surgeries in the past four years.

He has completed a full summer training program, is moving more freely on the court and enters his first tournament in Brisbane on December 30 with a clear mindset.

"I feel younger than 12 months ago, I don't need injections every day to get out there and mentally that makes me feel a lot better," he said.

"Last year was really tough going in. I couldn't practice nearly as much as I wanted to and I couldn't do the off court work either, which was frustrating.

"This year so far it's been fantastic, the foot has held up extremely well and the rest of the body is holding up well.

"I'm enjoying practice and in the gym so much more because I'm not in pain every day.

"The motivation is still there and I've done so much hard work to put myself back in this kind of position to compete against the best guys out there and hopefully I can do it over the next four or five weeks."
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4415 on: December 19, 2012, 04:17 PM »

Sorry if I had to copy and paste the entire article...when I tried to just share the link, it didn't seem to work. Not really an article on Andy but he was mentioned. It's an article from news.com.au on Australian Open 2013.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4416 on: December 19, 2012, 04:29 PM »

Thanks for that u2jcc.  Nice to read LLeyton talking so positively about Andy. 
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4417 on: December 19, 2012, 04:37 PM »

Glad to share, Alis. I like it every time I read an article where his fellow professional tennis player say something about Andy's talent and how hard he is to beat. It shows a lot of respect.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4418 on: December 19, 2012, 04:59 PM »

Yeah, why would you want to dwell on it? But I just wonder if he's bottling a lot of stuff up. Part of me thinks, though, that Ivan Lendl would leave no stone unturned. With that in mind, I reckon he's had sessions with psychologists this year. The outward manifestation of that is the heavenly salutes we've seen since Wimbledon. I have no basis for this - it's just a hunch.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Andy has spoken to Lendl about his perspective about what happened on that terrible day in 1996. I think you could, in a sense, put it under the category of getting to know about him, what makes him tick, what is important.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Andy's two fingers to the sky thing is to do with what happened, I thought that when Andy said at Wimbledon (I think) that if he explained it people would go on about it, but his team knew what it meant. That said, I'm sure we'll never know for sure.

I think it is hard to judge how something so awful could have an effect on a person. On the surface you would think it would be a terrible trauma that could impact for years to follow. I'm sure in a lot of cases that is the case. However, kids can be remarkably resilient too. Sometimes they do seem to bounce back from tragedy more easily than adults.

I think Andy has always been in a bit of a no-win situation about the tragedy in Dunblane. For a start, he could only ever talk about what he experienced that day. He was nine at the time, and memories do blur, even, and sometimes especially, over terrible things. Andy chose, in my opinion quite deliberately, not to talk too much about it quite early on. I think that has annoyed the press, who enjoy nothing more than a public soul bearer. The thing is though, had Andy spent a lot of time talking about it, especially in his earliest years on the Tour, you can bet that the minute the media took a dislike to him they would have accused him of using it for cheap publicity. He wouldn't have been, of course, but when has the truth ever got in the way of certain publications having a go at Andy?

One of the wonderful things about Andy's success, apart from all the obvious things, is that he has put Dunblane on the map for something other than tragedy. That has to be right.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4419 on: December 19, 2012, 05:15 PM »

Great article. lol  I totally agree with the bit - "Someone needs to start a website with translations of foreign tennis player curse translations".  In fact I think it should be obligatory for umpires to learn naughty words in other languages.  It's usually obvious that a player is swearing in whatever langauge yet Andy's the one who gets pulled up for doing it.  SmugFed got a code violation for using the s[censored] word during the 2009 USO final when he argued with the umpire, but apart from that I've never known any other player being penalised.  Anyway Andy can swear if he likes if it helps him release tension or get him fired up.  It doesn't bother me, only the stupid British commentators.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4420 on: December 19, 2012, 05:41 PM »

I agree Aileen all the umpires should go to profanities school that would be cool. The likes of Ferrer and the other Spanish players would love that. All the other umpires should also go for all the other nationalities in tennis and the rules should be the same for all players no matter if they are in the top ten or not.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4421 on: December 19, 2012, 07:46 PM »

http://www.thetennisspace.com/andy-murray-ill-be-fitter-than-ever-in-2013/#.UM3rqvpqJ0I.twitter

Even Andy's noticing he gets older (can not eat what he want off season anymore....)
And love that he sounds so positive about the gruelling training also that one of his goals next year is more consistency.  Perhaps he's having pity on his poor fans on the murray roller-coaster  Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4422 on: December 19, 2012, 07:58 PM »

I know this has already been mentioned but I'm posting this article anyway -

Andy Murray, part of 1996 school shooting, offers up support for Sandy Hook  [Yahoo Sports, 18 Dec]

In the minutes, hours and days following the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary in Newton, Conn., plenty of politicians, celebrities and athletes offered up support, donations and heart-felt sorrow for the victims of this horrible tragedy. But few people actually know from experience how tough this can be.

Andy Murray, the 2012 U.S. Open champion, was part of a 1996 school shooting at Dunblane Primary in central Scotland that left 16 students and a teacher dead, and offered up his support for the Connecticut community on his Facebook page this last weekend.

"My heart goes out to all those poor children, their families and the community in Newtown in Connecticut, so, so sad," Murray said.

The shooting in 1996, according to this USA Today report, was a very similar situation to that of Sandy Hook, and while Murray doesn't talk much about this, understandably, he has mentioned at times of what happened all those years ago.

Murray and his brother took cover under a table in a classroom, and his mother even commented to ESPN that this particular day was, "The worst. The worst thing you could ever imagine having to go through in your life. Sitting, waiting and not knowing if your child is alive or dead -- you can't imagine what that was like. It was quite horrific."

Murray mentioned in his book Hitting Back that, "The weirdest thing is that we knew the guy (Thomas Hamilton)," a former scout leader that took the lives of these 17 people before taking his own.

The aftermath of the Dunblane shootings was then Prime Minister Tony Blair putting a stop to firearm sales in the United Kingdom, with similar reactions being thrown around in this country after Sandy Hook.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9bxX?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis

I suppose it's too much to hope that the US will now tighten up its own gun laws, given that Sandy Hook is not the first school/college massacre that country has experienced.
[ Last edit by Aileen December 19, 2012, 08:15 PM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4423 on: December 20, 2012, 09:58 AM »

Guys,apparently there'a big interview with Lendl in The Times today-would anybody who has access mind telling us what he says?Thanks Smile
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4424 on: December 20, 2012, 12:28 PM »

Top 12 Hugs Of 2012

A hug is a sign of love, friendship, admiration or sympathy. A hug needs no translation – it doesn’t matter what language you speak, you know what it means. We saw a lot of hugs this year that we’ll never forget. They came at times when often words just wouldn’t do the trick and the only thing to do was hug. Here are the top 12 hugs of the year:

Honorable Mention – NovAndy: After Novak Djokovic defeated Andy Murray in the Australian Open semifinals, stopping Andy in his tracks yet again for a Grand Slam title, the two old friends shared a loving embrace.

10. Support For Support : After winning the Olympic Gold in London, Andy Murray lept into the stands to be congratulated by his team of supporters. The most memorable hug caught on camera was that to his longtime girlfriend Kim Sears. Love is lovely, isn’t it?

4. Your Time Will Come… Soon: Roger Federer defeated Andy Murray 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 to win Wimbledon and his 17th Grand Slam title. Few remember what Roger said to the crowd after his win, but almost everyone can remember the tear-jerking speech Andy gave. We all needed a hug after that one, as did Andy, and Roger was there to help.

1. Hug From Great Britain: Andy Murray defeated Roger Federer to win Olympic Gold. While Andy handed out hugs to his box of close friends and family, Henry Caplan, age 11, raced down through the stands at Wimbledon’s Centre Court from row Z to give Andy something on behalf of all of Great Britain: A hug.

Henry told BBC Essex: “As soon as Andy Murray won I was crying with joy and hugging my dad. I told my dad to get off and the next minute I was gone. I was down by the royal bit in front of Federer’s mum and dad. Then I hugged Andy Murray. I just thought I had to be there. It was cool.”

It was pretty cool. The hug was caught on camera and broadcasted worldwide with everyone wondering who this young boy was. Was he related to Andy? How did he get there? Questions were later answered and knowing his ordeal to give his favorite athlete a hug after he won a Gold medal makes the hug even more touching.

http://the-slice.com/2012/12/top-12-hugs-of-2012/
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 294 [295] 296 297 298 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »