Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 ... 640 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 353688 times)
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: News Articles « Reply #4425 on: December 20, 2012, 12:48 PM »

Love it Dani!!
Thanks a million for posting.. hug
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4426 on: December 20, 2012, 12:52 PM »

No problem at all Zarfeen Very Happy hug
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4427 on: December 20, 2012, 12:54 PM »

oh dani that's so lovely.  I was hoping as I scrolled down that Henry's hug would be there and there it was, deservedly, at #1. And the nicest picture I've seen of it.  
ps sorry don't have access to times today.  I do sometimes in library but not till january again now.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4428 on: December 20, 2012, 01:33 PM »

Top 12 Hugs Of 2012

A hug is a sign of love, friendship, admiration or sympathy. A hug needs no translation – it doesn’t matter what language you speak, you know what it means. We saw a lot of hugs this year that we’ll never forget. They came at times when often words just wouldn’t do the trick and the only thing to do was hug. Here are the top 12 hugs of the year:
Magic - even the one of SmugFed giving Andy a hug!  Thanks for posting. Smile

I think the one of Henry and Andy hugging has to be THE pic of 2012 it's just so cute and touching.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4429 on: December 20, 2012, 01:39 PM »

Magic - even the one of SmugFed giving Andy a hug!  Thanks for posting. Smile

I think the one of Henry and Andy hugging has to be THE pic of 2012 it's just so cute and touching.

No problem at all Aileen Smile

And I completely agree with you about Henry's hug-one of the most iconic,touching memories of the Olympics.Well,really all of Andy's celebrations were,from the clambering up to Team Murray,to the jump for joy on the way down,in my opinion!(Not that I'm biased or anything...)
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4430 on: December 20, 2012, 01:41 PM »

oh dani that's so lovely.  I was hoping as I scrolled down that Henry's hug would be there and there it was, deservedly, at #1. And the nicest picture I've seen of it. 
ps sorry don't have access to times today.  I do sometimes in library but not till january again now.

Isn't it just Ruthie?!Normally when I'm posting articles I don't bother inserting the pictures that go with them,but I felt these pics had to go up!

Personally I'd have put the embrace with Kim higher than the Federer hug,just because with Kim it was a moment filled with such joy and love,whereas the Fed one was just heartbreaking!But I can thoroughly relate to the line about needing a hug after Andy's speech (more than just one,personally!I was a wreck!),and I have to say I really enjoyed the line about everyone remembering Andy's speech and nobody remembering Fed's   Whistle  ... And I was thrilled to see Henry's hug at number one!As you said,so deserving of it!

Ah well!Thanks for the thought anyway!Maybe somebody else will be able to find it for us.I wish I could take out an online subscription,but it's so expensive.And I'm sure come jan and the AO there'll be tons of interesting pieces on Andy and Lendl anyway Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4431 on: December 20, 2012, 01:49 PM »

Isn't it just Ruthie?!Normally when I'm posting articles I don't bother inserting the pictures that go with them,but I felt these pics had to go up!

Personally I'd have put the embrace with Kim higher than the Federer hug,just because with Kim it was a moment filled with such joy and love,whereas the Fed one was just heartbreaking!But I can thoroughly relate to the line about needing a hug after Andy's speech (more than just one,personally!I was a wreck!),and I have to say I really enjoyed the line about everyone remembering Andy's speech and nobody remembering Fed's   Whistle  ...
Yes I enjoyed that too!  Btw I meant that the Henry hug as to be the best photo of 2012 all-round, not just tennis.

My other fave pic has to be the one of Andy and Kim gazing into each other's eyes after the USO when they were being interviewed later.  It's on here somewhere .....
[ Last edit by Aileen December 20, 2012, 01:53 PM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4432 on: December 20, 2012, 02:06 PM »

Btw I meant that the Henry hug as to be the best photo of 2012 all-round, not just tennis.

My other fave pic has to be the one of Andy and Kim gazing into each other's eyes after the USO when they were being interviewed later.  It's on here somewhere .....

You're so right about that!It was such a wonderful moment.So sweet,and so very lovely.And of course only a kid would seize the moment in the way adorable little Henry did!Brilliant,brilliant moment.

I love those  Andy & Kim images too!I think I posted them on here ages ago-I can hunt around and find them for you if you want?That was another gorgeous moment.In fact,I can't remember if you saw,forgive me if you did,but much later on I actually managed to find a link to a video of unedited footage taken that night.It was a bit terrible,in that it was quite shaky,and the quality wasn't great,but it showed quite a few more lovely Andy and Kim moments that weren't photographed.There was a lovely moment,after all the picture had been taken,where they just stood together looking up into the stands.If you didn't see it already,and you'd like to,I'll look through my posts for the link for you.

We were lucky with the great candid Andy moments in 2012!Here's hoping for lots more come '13!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4433 on: December 20, 2012, 02:20 PM »

You're so right about that!It was such a wonderful moment.So sweet,and so very lovely.And of course only a kid would seize the moment in the way adorable little Henry did!Brilliant,brilliant moment.

I love those  Andy & Kim images too!I think I posted them on here ages ago-I can hunt around and find them for you if you want?That was another gorgeous moment.In fact,I can't remember if you saw,forgive me if you did,but much later on I actually managed to find a link to a video of unedited footage taken that night.It was a bit terrible,in that it was quite shaky,and the quality wasn't great,but it showed quite a few more lovely Andy and Kim moments that weren't photographed.There was a lovely moment,after all the picture had been taken,where they just stood together looking up into the stands.If you didn't see it already,and you'd like to,I'll look through my posts for the link for you.

We were lucky with the great candid Andy moments in 2012!Here's hoping for lots more come '13!
Please don't put yourself to any trouble with these pics.  I can hunt around on this thread for them.

I did see the video, thanks.  Wobbly but beautiful. Smile
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: News Articles « Reply #4434 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25 PM »

The Lendl article from the Times.

We are talking at a golf course in Florida, the sun is peeking through the clouds and, remarkably, Ivan Lendl is resisting the urge to rush to the boot of his car and grab his clubs. Well, he played two rounds the previous day and missed out by one stroke on improving his handicap to plus three, and his disappointment at that is evident.
Anyway, he is only halfway through a practice day with Andy Murray, who had too many sore experiences of what it was like to be within the equivalent of a stroke of winning one of tennis’s top prizes, until he landed a couple within six stimulating weeks in the summer.

The afternoon session would involve technical adjustments to specific strokes, and Lendl said that he was happy for me to watch as long as none of what they were working on was reported.

When Lendl left the camp the previous day to keep an appointment for a colonoscopy [his mother has been suffering from colon cancer for 20 years], the task of preparing Murray for his assault on the grand-slam titles of 2013 was almost complete.
“It is a pain in the arse, literally, just a nuisance. You should have one, everyone over 50 should have one at least once every five years,” Lendl says, enjoying the thought of a journalist having a tube inserted in a certain part of the anatomy.

It is his wickedly inappropriate sense of humour that made a few of us wonder how long the relationship with Murray — forged exactly a year ago — would work before they ran out of patience with each other. When the player talked last week of the potential for a five-year plan, it raised the partnership’s potential to ever more rarefied levels.
“I do [see it lasting long term] as well,” Lendl says. “However, things change and things come up in people’s lives and I always said to Andy that as long as it is working for us we should keep on working. I haven’t spoken to anyone about it, but I would assume that if someone said would he take the Olympic gold medal and the US Open title, everybody would have said yes. So from that point it is working. We get on very well, I think, and we have had a good time.

“Are there things I hate? Absolutely. I hate being on the road. However, there are pluses and minuses to everything and sometimes you have to swallow the things you don’t like to realise the things you enjoy, like winning.”
No one knows precisely how they become a winner, but Lendl can pinpoint the moment in his life when he hated being a loser. “It was my first junior match in Czechoslovakia, I was 8 years old, the top seed who was 11 had a bye and I was supposed to play someone else,” he said. “But he defaulted and I am playing this 11-year-old. He had me 6-0, 5-0 and he gave me a game. I hated him for a long time. I know he gave me the game. I was so pissed off because I didn’t earn it. It wasn’t mine. It’s like stealing.
“I played with a good young golf pro from North Carolina the other day and he said: ‘Do you want the front tees or a couple of shots?’ I asked him again what he had said. I said: ‘Hell will freeze before I take tees or shots from you.’ Straight up and I beat him — took 40 bucks off him. He wasn’t happy. The next day he beat me and got 30 bucks back, but I’m still up ten. That’s the way I am.”

Is it the way Murray is? In the morning session, playing sets against Jamie Baker, a fellow Scot, he ran down a drop shot and tried a floppy lob that floated over the baseline. Lendl gave me one of those looks. “I think Andy is too nice sometimes,” he said. “He knew what I wanted. I wanted it buried, either in the corner or in the guy’s nuts, but bury it somewhere. You can only play the way you practise — there’s no way you’re going to play differently than the way you practise. At least I don’t see it.”
The pair have spent almost 26 weeks together on the road and not exchanged a single unpleasant word, something John McEnroe would not have believed. Tell Lendl that his former nemesis cannot believe that player and coach get on and that the partnership works, he chuckles. “That’s pretty funny,” he says, but then reveals that McEnroe said the same to his face when they played a seniors match recently.
“Basically I had to think what the changes to my life will be,” Lendl says. “I have some commitments to my [Ivan Lendl junior tennis and golf] academy, that’s another four weeks, I have a wife and five daughters and all of a sudden we are looking at three quarters of the year gone, and I wasn’t used to that. I was used to being my own boss, doing things at my leisure. If I decided I want to go golfing in Scotland next week, OK, I go golfing in Scotland. I will in 2015, though, because there’s an extra week between the French and Wimbledon. Finally, finally. I would have loved that in my day.

“Everyone who knows me knows that when I do something I either do it properly or don’t do it. Fair enough? When I decided to play golf after my tennis, that meant I was going to play bloody golf. It was part of my sitting and thinking about it, from my first discussion with Andy over the phone to the second discussion and third and fourth over a meal with Darren [Cahill, the Australian coach who was instrumental in encouraging Murray to meet Lendl] and I would drive home, think about it, talk about it with Samantha [his wife], think about it again and making sure I was prepared to do it.

“The moment I decide yes, I am going to do it, everything else becomes secondary. So I had no issue with that. Part of our discussions with Andy was me getting to know him a little bit and see if he is as committed as I would be if I did it. The answer was yes. Once we both knew what the answers were, again it was very simple, it was just work. Nothing should get in the way.”

Perhaps the most uncomfortable Lendl has looked was in the moments after his player’s defeat by Roger Federer on Wimbledon’s Centre Court in July, when Murray was forced to endure the on-court interview and broke down. That would not have been Lendl’s thing at all. “I was standing there replaying the match,” Lendl says. “I was there, but mentally I was dissecting the match. I always do.”

Asked in Miami last week to pinpoint an element of their relationship with which he felt most comfortable, Murray said that it was the coach’s ability to encapsulate what needed to be said in the aftermath of a shocking defeat and that he involved every member of the team in the discussion, which helped the player to feel less isolated in this most isolating of sports.

“Everybody has their role in the team,” Lendl says. “Jez [Green, the physical trainer] and Andy [Ireland, the physiotherapist] and I get on really well. This morning, for instance, I said Andy is mine for the next three days. When we started training ten days ago, I got nothing, only Jez had him. That is an understanding we need to have.
“If Andy [Ireland] comes to me and says: ‘Look, he is aching over here and over there,’ I’m not going to get pissed because he can’t train, I’m going to be happy because he is giving me a heads-up. I went to Jez in Australia in January and said where I saw weaknesses in his conditioning, whether it was movement, turning around to one side or the other side — I don’t want to be specific on it, obviously. Jez then showed me some new exercises and by Wimbledon he [Murray] was better.
“I knew that last Wednesday afternoon he was going to have a long session of sprints on the court and Jez asked if I could leave him somewhat fresh for him. I said: ‘Absolutely.’ So, in the morning, instead of a two-hour session, it was 90 minutes, with only a few drills, and Jez comes to me and shakes my hand and says: ‘Thank you, it was perfect.’ That is the way we work.

“I understand, for Andy to do better, he needs to be fit, he needs to be quick and he needs to be uninjured, and they understand that, in order for him to do well, he needs to play a lot of tennis in certain situations. To do something in isolation without the rest of the team being there would be totally wrong. It is that simple. I like to keep it simple.”
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4435 on: December 20, 2012, 02:30 PM »

Craig,thank you SO much!Really appreciate it Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4436 on: December 20, 2012, 02:36 PM »

It's no trouble at all!I hadn't joind that long before the USO,and I hadn't been posting that much at the beginning,so I only had to go back a few pages from my last page Smile
Is it these ones you mean?

Sorry,now,if I've mistaken your meaning and reposted the wrong pics!

Ah,you did see it.Sorry,couldn't remember!There was some lovely footage in there,wasn't there-just wish the reporter in the background would've stopped mumbling away to himself!
Yes he was a bit of a pest!

The one I had particularly in mind, now that I've got brain engaged on the matter, was actually taken when Andy ran into the stands at the Olympics.  (Sorry, my memory isn't what it used to be!).

Those two are just as adorable though.  So much love and tenderness. wub

poster_oops   I seem to have somehow deleted your post .....

[ Last edit by Aileen December 20, 2012, 02:40 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4437 on: December 20, 2012, 02:51 PM »

Brilliant article and one which shows just how harmoniously they work together as a team.  Long may it continue.

Really like this bit though -  not a man to mince his words! Whistle  In the morning session, playing sets against Jamie Baker, a fellow Scot, he ran down a drop shot and tried a floppy lob that floated over the baseline. Lendl gave me one of those looks. “I think Andy is too nice sometimes,” he said. “He knew what I wanted. I wanted it buried, either in the corner or in the guy’s nuts, but bury it somewhere. You can only play the way you practise — there’s no way you’re going to play differently than the way you practise.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4438 on: December 20, 2012, 02:52 PM »

Yes he was a bit of a pest!

The one I had particularly in mind, now that I've got brain engaged on the matter, was actually taken when Andy ran into the stands at the Olympics.  (Sorry, my memory isn't what it used to be!).

Those two are just as adorable though.  So much love and tenderness. wub

poster_oops   I seem to have somehow deleted your post .....

I remember I just kept thinking,if he had to keep talking to himself,could he not just do it quietly!I wanted to hear what Andy was saying,not whatever it was he was saying to himself.(I seem to remember that he kept repeating the same stuff to himself!)

Ah,ok!Yeah,I love those pics-they capture such a lovely moment!Ooh,the Olympic photos were so great too-I think I know the one you mean.This one?

I wasn't on MW for the Olympics-I didn't stumble upon it until a bit later Frown Must've been such fun on here around then!

Hmm,I'm not sure where that post has gone now!Never mind,doesn't matter at all!
[ Last edit by xxdanixx December 20, 2012, 02:56 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4439 on: December 20, 2012, 02:58 PM »

Yes, thanks - that's the pic I had in mind.

MW was on fire by the time Andy got to the final.  Little did we know what was coming up next!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 295 [296] 297 298 299 ... 640 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »