Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 ... 713 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 412575 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4500 on: December 23, 2012, 01:32 PM »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4711175/Double-Olympic-champ-Mo-Farah-is-set-to-be-given-a-CBE-in-the-New-Years-Honours-list-from-the-Queen.html

Wonder what gong Andy will receive? I'll be happy with a whateverletterBE and the knighthood will come when Andy retires a 5 TIME Slam winner!
I think he'll be an O/CBE with an almost inevitable upgrade on retirement.   If Tim got an OBE for his general contribution to tennis, then Andy should be above him already.    I don't think Andy would need to achieve much more to get the Knighthood, except to have been around for longer and be older.

I'm a bit behind, but catching up on that article in the Times with Lendl, I too love what he has to say about working with the team.  He has a great respect for them, and I think also respect for Andy in picking them in the first place.  On the other hand, Andy may find it harder to get hitting partners if they think Andy will take Lendl's recommendations at face value! Very Happy
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4501 on: December 23, 2012, 04:04 PM »

I wish Fed could learn from Rafa and Nole....they seem to appreciate Andy's talent wholeheartedly which Fed fails to do..

I am pleased with the support Andy gets from other sports men and women and not only in tennis.    Boxing, basketball, golf and other sports people have expressed their admiration for his achievements and they are the people who know the work that goes into maximising the talent he was born with.    Fed stands out as the one who doesn't.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4502 on: December 23, 2012, 04:46 PM »

You don't need to.  I copied over the entire article because it's so short.  Also the link did something funny to my computer as well.  I though it was going to freeze but it sorted itself out.
No I meant the one where you were asking us to contribute to the debate Aileen

Not surprisingly Andy is one of Independent on Sunday's 101 top Great Britons of 2012  but it still gives me a thrill to see him described as 'grand slam champion'   yay  And the clip ended: 'Some people thought it [Andy winning a GS] would never happen. Don't they feel silly now'  clap
And yesterday Independent had his USO win as one of the magial sporting moments of 2012.  There was nothing new in it really apart from Sean Connery being quoted as saying he'd have been there for Andy at end whether he'd won or lost but if he'd lost he would have kicked his arse.  Perhaps I just missed that at the time I was away.  Rather annoyed with Paul Newman for repeating approvingly Mac's comment that it would be nice if Andy showed more emotion next time.  
[ Last edit by Ruthie December 23, 2012, 04:59 PM ] IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4503 on: December 23, 2012, 07:53 PM »

Andy Murray's mother Judy recalls his US Open victory

10 September: Judy Murray on the day that her son Andy Murray finally won his first grand slam title, at the US Open in New York

This was Andy's fifth grand slam final, and having sat through four already I had an idea of what it was going to feel like. But I was still very nervous – I was desperate for him to get over that final hurdle and achieve what has been his goal since he was a little boy. I think it's called the righting reflex – where you want to make everything right for your child, but you know there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

In New York the crowd is particularly buoyant, so it was noisy and lively, and conditions were quite windy at the start, which made it tricky. But after two sets he was 2-0 up, and he's one of the fittest guys out there – it was a huge opportunity. I've been in tennis and in sport too long to know that it's not over until the last ball's hit. When it went to two sets all, I was mentally rehearsing, imagining: "What if this set doesn't go his way?" After he'd lost the Wimbledon final we tried to keep his spirits up, make sure he was doing lots of things he would enjoy, getting him out of the house. As a parent there's a huge job there, trying to help him to recover emotionally.

Andy took a bathroom break after the fourth set and when he came out he looked up, clenched his fist and stared for a bit; I could just see something in his face that was saying: "I'm not letting this go." And he played an unbelievable fifth set. That last shot that Novak Djokovic hit, at matchpoint? I wasn't sure that it was definitely out, and I thought: "There's no point in jumping up and getting too excited in case there's a replay and you look like an absolute idiot." So I just stood there staring at the screen until they said he had won. The emotion was incredible relief.

We booked a restaurant near Times Square that night – for his girlfriend, some friends from Dunblane, his team – but with all the media he had to do it was late by the time we got there and when we left it was 1.30am. The next morning he was up at 6am for his first TV commitment. He didn't get much sleep.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/dec/23/andy-murray-judy-grand-slam
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4504 on: December 23, 2012, 08:00 PM »

No I meant the one where you were asking us to contribute to the debate Aileen
Oh sorry, Ruthie!  Anyway the debate has closed now with the Fed fan the winning contributor on 18 votes and me second on 15.  But overall Fed got 22 votes and Andy 25 yay while Djoko only got 4 and one contributor who got 2 was going mainly with the respective Slams.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4505 on: December 23, 2012, 09:04 PM »

You did well Aileen!
Was just about to post the Judy Murray piece dani so thanks for doing so. Again Andy's USO win singled out , this time as one of the year's biggest moments (and not just sporting moments).
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4506 on: December 24, 2012, 04:29 AM »

THIS IS FROM TODAY'S TELEGRAPH.  IT'S LONG BUT WELL WORTH A READ -

Andy Murray wins US Open final against Novak Djokovic to break British grand slam curse

The players, pundits, umpires and coaches look back on Andy Murray’s victory over Novak Djokovic in the US Open final.

Jez Green I think all the other players knew that Andy was coming for them, that he was close
 to winning that first grand slam. The players are very intuitive in that way: they sometimes have a sense of
what’s going to happen before it does. Novak knew it too. I think he was waiting to see how Andy would
come out at the start of the fifth, and when Andy started it so well, Novak was emotionally gone. And when
you’re emotionally gone, you lose your physical energy as well.

Andy Murray I felt really comfortable at that moment [championship point],  I think having put myself in
that position a lot of times in my head over the last four or five years, when it did actually come I was prepared.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9764005/2012-One-Golden-Year-Andy-Murray-wins-US-Open-final-agains-Novak-Djokovic-to-break-British-grand-slam-curse.html
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #4507 on: December 24, 2012, 07:12 AM »

From Wikipedia; (no new news, but new for me, doesn't read a lot about this recently?!)

Murray was born with a bipartite patella, where the kneecap remains as two separate bones instead of fusing together in early childhood.[16] He was diagnosed at the age of 16 and is seen frequently to hold his knee due to the pain caused by the condition and has pulled out of events because of it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/daviscup/2290508/Andy-Murray-to-miss-Argentina-Davis-Cup-tie.html
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4508 on: December 24, 2012, 07:17 AM »

^ Yeah, I kinda knew this long back since I like googling too much about Andy :P

IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4509 on: December 24, 2012, 09:08 AM »

Sue Barker talks about Andy's year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20811132
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4510 on: December 24, 2012, 10:28 AM »

THIS IS FROM TODAY'S TELEGRAPH.  IT'S LONG BUT WELL WORTH A READ -

Andy Murray wins US Open final against Novak Djokovic to break British grand slam curse

The players, pundits, umpires and coaches look back on Andy Murray’s victory over Novak Djokovic in the US Open final.

Jez Green I think all the other players knew that Andy was coming for them, that he was close
 to winning that first grand slam. The players are very intuitive in that way: they sometimes have a sense of
what’s going to happen before it does. Novak knew it too. I think he was waiting to see how Andy would
come out at the start of the fifth, and when Andy started it so well, Novak was emotionally gone. And when
you’re emotionally gone, you lose your physical energy as well.

Andy Murray I felt really comfortable at that moment [championship point],  I think having put myself in
that position a lot of times in my head over the last four or five years, when it did actually come I was prepared.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9764005/2012-One-Golden-Year-Andy-Murray-wins-US-Open-final-agains-Novak-Djokovic-to-break-British-grand-slam-curse.html
a great read Aileen - thanks
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4511 on: December 24, 2012, 10:38 AM »

Thanks Aileen-what a great piece!
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4512 on: December 24, 2012, 03:43 PM »

I'm sorry guys but I don't know how to copy a link using Safari. This is an article on Sky and there's a video too.

By Jacquie Beltrao, Sports Presenter

Andy Murray has told Sky News that "years of tough losses" inspired him to his Olympic and US Open successes in 2012.

The world number three has enjoyed the most successful year of his career, but admits his defeat to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final was the turning point in his season.

"It's been a lot of years of hard work and tough losses - and that's what drove me on to finally get there," he said.

"The Olympics was great. The whole atmosphere was incredible and I took a lot of confidence from that going into the US Open. I fought through some tough conditions there and I'm very happy."

By winning the US Open, Murray became the first British man to claim a Grand Slam title for 76 years. And he's hoping that success will spur him on in 2013.

"I think it'll give me some extra motivation going into next year. I've had some great memories, winning the Olympics and a Slam. I'll go into the off-season really excited and I'll train really hard to get myself ready for Australia."

Murray is back in the UK for Christmas and admits he's looking forward to some home comforts after a cooking catastrophe during last year's festive period in the US.

"Last year it was me and Jamie Baker in my apartment in Miami. We bought a pre-made turkey and still managed to stuff it up - it was so dry.

"We poured about a litre of gravy on it and that made it a little bit better."
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4513 on: December 24, 2012, 03:58 PM »

oh dear how sad to hear about Andy's mishap with the turkey last year! Glad he'll get a decent Christmas dinner this year before he jets off tomorrow.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4514 on: December 24, 2012, 04:01 PM »

Thanks u2jcc.  Thankfully he will have had a much more pleasant and cheerful time this year, and so hopefully will Jamie Baker.  I must admit I don't really like turkey because it tends to be dry and a bit tasteless at the best of times.  Chicken is so much better.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 300 [301] 302 303 304 ... 713 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »