Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 411 [412] 413 414 415 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 466068 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6165 on: May 26, 2013, 09:26 AM »

I suspect people with an axe to grind are always more likely to post comments on that kind of messsage board
I think people who are mentally unhinged are attracted to trolling comments sections.  I'd say about 80% of the motivation for most of them has nothing to do with tennis or Andy.  Some of them have latched onto articles about Andy as a regular haunt, because they've found an angle so don't need to think of anything new to wind people up.  There's the Scottish/English thing, then the idea that he's a loser, or not constantly smiling etc.

IMO, while it's great to stick up for Andy, it only encourages them if you engage with the the trouble makers.  It's a dream come true for a troll when they get in early on a comments thread and people spend more time replying to them than they do commenting on the article.  Trolls don't hate it when they are told they are wrong - they hate it when they are ignored.

Apart from encouraging the trolls to turn up for future articles about Andy, it gives their negative comments more prominence if they are repeated in quotes, or in kind.  Far better to just say what you want to say, and if it's really necessary, give the alternative point of view without any reference to the negative one.

Regarding the Mail, their sports articles can be OK, and I think individual journalists can be OK, but we have to remember that their editorial policy is to wind up their readers.  The editor was on the radio a while ago explaining that a "good Daily Mail story is one that leaves their readers angry about something".  That's generally their front pages, where they like to blame minority groups/the disabled/council workers/the unemployed/the BBC/working mums for the nation's woes, which also requires them to put an extreme negative spin on the day's events.  They like to make every day events sound bad, and they like to give their readers someone to blame for it.

What often happens, especially in the inner/back pages, is that the journalist writes their article, but then the sub-editors give it a sensational headline, and tweak it to make it fit the DM style.  Throw in a few phrases deliberately designed to raise eyebrows, and a bit about the subject's love life.    Whistle
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6166 on: May 26, 2013, 10:09 AM »

Does anybody subscribe to 'RED' magazine? There's a much complimented article on Andy in there by India Knight. I'm intrigued as to what about her article on Andy is drawing so many compliments but dont really want to buy it. Any clues anyone?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6167 on: May 26, 2013, 11:09 AM »

Sparkle, the thing about sub-editors is valid. To be fair it applies to all papers.

I'm really not surprised they aim to wind up their readers, but I didn't realise it was policy. You live and learn lol.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6168 on: May 26, 2013, 12:16 PM »

I hate the DM... but I can't stop reading the damn thing.

You and me both. I've tried to stop buying it, but it is accessible at the touch of my IPod and I am weak.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6169 on: May 26, 2013, 12:22 PM »

You and me both. I've tried to stop buying it, but it is accessible at the touch of my IPod and I am weak.
I can honestly say I never buy or read newspapers.  Life is challenging enough without the need for sensationalist input. 
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6170 on: May 26, 2013, 12:28 PM »

Sparkle, the thing about sub-editors is valid. To be fair it applies to all papers.

I'm really not surprised they aim to wind up their readers, but I didn't realise it was policy. You live and learn lol.
Very true.  I've often seen writers from the more supposedly respectable papers make comments along the lines of the article being theirs, but the headline and sub-header being someone else's.

While it makes total sense that articles in The Mail are written with a view to provoking a reaction, it did surprise me that the editor was admitting this so readily.  I suppose it's not exactly a secret - these days, so much content comes from free-lancers that they have to be up front about what they want, but it seemed very insulting to the readers to announce it.

Regarding the Mail article about Andy practising.  I didn't think it was particularly sensational by their standards, but using words like "secret" make it sound covert.   But judging by the thread on MTF, all but the most trollish think it's perfectly reasonable behaviour and only fools who know nothing about tennis would have an issue with it, and hope Andy is at full fitness for Wimbledon.
[ Last edit by *Sparkle* May 26, 2013, 12:37 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6171 on: May 26, 2013, 01:35 PM »

I am sorry to say it will never change so get used to it. I have given up on the English press who treat Andy like a piece of **** and I do not care if it is censored. I am telling it like it is those morons will never stop. He is too handy for the popular press to pillory they do not appreciate him at all what a bunch of idiots.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #6172 on: May 26, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Guess you don't need to buy it then!  My wife used to buy it regularly to my great chagrin, especially when I had to bring it home from the newsagent, but now she doesn't, thankfully, but still reads it on-line. She can ignore all the bile, but I can't, unfortunately
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6173 on: May 26, 2013, 07:58 PM »

Guess you don't need to buy it then!  My wife used to buy it regularly to my great chagrin, especially when I had to bring it home from the newsagent, but now she doesn't, thankfully, but still reads it on-line. She can ignore all the bile, but I can't, unfortunately
I'm like your wife Fiverings.  I do read the DM newspaper because behind the dross there are often very good and informative articles in it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6174 on: May 26, 2013, 08:04 PM »

Just found this on the Telegraph's website. I did a cut and paste job on my iPad, so missed the header off, but I suspect it's the details that are important. It's about the back injury.

Andy Murray is sitting out the French Open, which started today, in a bid to improve a long-standing back problem.
He announced he would miss Roland Garros a week after retiring from his clash with Marcel Granollers in Rome on May 15 but said at the time he was optimistic he would be fit enough to compete at SW19.

That remains the case but the world number two is facing a race against time with Wimbledon starting on June 24.
Asked if he would be able to compete in the season's third grand slam, Murray told ESPN: "That's the plan. The grass is a bit easier on my back than the clay and I am hoping that Wimbledon is going to be fine.

"I am going to try to get myself ready to play (the warm-up event) at Queen's but I just have to wait and see."

Having given the back complete rest, Murray has recently returned to the practice court but has been limited in what he can do.
"I have been doing three hours of rehab and treatment every day to make sure it's as good as possible for the grass court stretch but I still have a process I am going through to build up my training to see if I have any setbacks or not when I start to push a little bit more," he said.

"I have hit some balls the last couple of days but I haven't been doing any movement on the court yet. I did 15 minutes the first day, 20 minutes on the second, I am just trying to build it up slowly.

"Hopefully by the grass court season I will be feeling better but it's a process I need to be patient through.
"It's very easy standing in the middle of the court having a controlled practice session for 30 minutes, it's another thing playing for four hours on a clay court or even a grass court when you are playing against the best players in the world.
"I have a long way to go before I am 100 per cent."

Murray revealed he had been living with the back problem for some time.
He added: "It's been tough, it's something I've been dealing with on and off for 18 months.
"It's worse on certain surfaces and in certain conditions and when it flares up it's tough to have it calm down.
"It has obviously been tough for me on the clay over the last couple of years. It's just something I have been having to deal with the last little while and hopefully it will get better."

Murray has reached the final at the last three majors - and claimed his first grand slam crown at the 2012 US Open - and he conceded it will be tough watching the French on television.

"It's the first time in a long time it has happened to me," he said.

"The French Open was very important for me this year to try to reach the final for the first time and to reach the final for the fourth major in a row. That's not happened many times.

"It's tough watching it because I would love to be out there."
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6175 on: May 26, 2013, 08:19 PM »

^ Cheers, have just been reading this on a number of websites - BBc etc. Was pondering which one to put in here as they all pretty much say the same. You saved me a job. Going by twitter he is definitey wishing he was there - but going to be interesting following his tweets over next 2 weeks.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6176 on: May 26, 2013, 10:17 PM »

^ Cheers, have just been reading this on a number of websites - BBc etc. Was pondering which one to put in here as they all pretty much say the same. You saved me a job. Going by twitter he is definitey wishing he was there - but going to be interesting following his tweets over next 2 weeks.

No problem. I just realised that others have put up articles I'd either enjoyed or learned things from, so I thought it was time I reciprocated. I should have done it on the PC really, but seeing as my ipad has almost become a spare limb, it was there, so I used it.

Oh, I think there's no doubt Andy would much rather be there. I get the feeling pulling out went against every instinct he has. The thing is though, he has to think long term, surely, and also about Wimbledon. Pulling out of RG was sensible from that point of view.

I think it will be interesting to see what Andy says over the next couple of weeks. It will be interesting to hear what matches he watches, what he enjoys, or not lol. It will be good to get that inside perspective. It gives the feeling to me of him being part of it, even though he isn't there.

I must say I missed Andy today. It was weird, on the opening day of a major we either have Andy playing, or the anticipation of knowing he will be in a day or two. Knowing he won't this time suddenly hit me. Still, fingers crossed for Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6177 on: May 26, 2013, 10:23 PM »

^ Andy saying "I have a long way to go before I am 100 per cent" doesn't fill me with much optimism for his participation at Wimbledon, and that really would be a hard thing for him to have to cope with, so I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed that he does get himself fit in time.  Understandably he's probably being cautious in what he says but chronic back problems can be difficult to treat.  I still don't understand why he didn't do something about it before it got to this stage.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 26, 2013, 10:29 PM ] IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6178 on: May 26, 2013, 10:51 PM »

This is Andy's ESPN interview which I think is the source of the above Telegraph and other media articles.
He sounds down-hearted with the uncertainty of it.

RG is not the same without him...
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6179 on: May 26, 2013, 11:16 PM »

I still don't understand why he didn't do something about it before it got to this stage.

We don't know that he didn't. I can't imagine for a moment that Andy would just allow something to go untreated and unchecked. He knows how injuries can become a problem if they aren't dealt with. Maybe he tried something that helped for a while and now it doesn't. As you say, chronic back problems can be difficult to treat.

Maybe Andy firmly believed it was much better, until the clay showed him different. Maybe something has changed about the injury.  We don't know. All I know is that Andy said in an interview in Miami (I read it somewhere, I'm sure it was during the Miami Masters) that it's a problem he will have for the rest of his career, it's a matter of managing it properly. It just strikes me that this is what Andy is trying to do, to find the best way of managing the injury as well as he can, so it doesn't cause too much disruption to his career.

I think it's a good sign that Andy is at least hitting some balls, if not moving too much yet. It also strikes me as sensible that he is giving himself time, training in short periods of time, that sort of thing. He's right, he does need to be patient. That must be tough though, when you are keen to get back.

I have my fingers crossed for Queen's and Wimbledon. However, if missing Queen's gave him more time to get ready for Wimbledon that is what needs to happen. I have to admit I'd feel even more sorry if Andy missed Wimbles than RG, for obvious reasons. I'm sure even the thought of that must be tough for him, so I hope for his sake it doesn't come to that.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 411 [412] 413 414 415 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »