Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 2 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 429 [430] 431 432 433 ... 722 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 428977 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #6435 on: June 10, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Are you aware that we'd probably have to apply to join the EU and most probably have to take the Euro as our currency.  Are you aware that the most trade we do is with England, and that trading would be compromised?  Once again, tell me what would benefit us by becoming independent.
  Far too big a topic for this forum or thread, but the implication in your question is that we are a poor country with no significant assets and one which RUK would not trade with if we were completely self-governing. As for applying to join the EU - the jury is out on that and it would be not be in the interest of any party if that were to be the case, so I think it's a red herring. On the question of the Euro - I personally would have  no problem with that, again because of Scotlands strong asset base but I think that again realpolitik would push to maintain a sterling zone in British isles. But the bottom line is, of course, the ability to maintain and develop our social fabric within Europe in the way Scots want.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6436 on: June 10, 2013, 10:39 PM »

Far too big a topic for this forum or thread, but the implication in your question is that we are a poor country with no significant assets and one which RUK would not trade with if we were completely self-governing. As for applying to join the EU - the jury is out on that and it would be not be in the interest of any party if that were to be the case, so I think it's a red herring. On the question of the Euro - I personally would have  no problem with that, again because of Scotlands strong asset base but I think that again realpolitik would push to maintain a sterling zone in British isles. But the bottom line is, of course, the ability to maintain and develop our social fabric within Europe in the way Scots want.
I agree - the topic is huge, and the fallout no less so.  I'm not into Politics in a big way, but my son is.  He seems to think independence is for the disenfranchised and would be a monumental disaster.  I'd put my faith in him, as he has no axe to grind - he's just aware of the facts, and the bigger picture. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #6437 on: June 10, 2013, 11:01 PM »

I hadn't intended to get into a lengthy exchange on this here, but I am intrigued by your sons views on independence being for the disenfranchised. That would appear to be a heavy endorsement, unless I misunderstand his position. Who would not wish to engage the disenfranchised? Or is he suggesting that there is a significant group of people outwith Scotland that should have a right to vote? That is a very different proposition.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6438 on: June 10, 2013, 11:07 PM »

I hadn't intended to get into a lengthy exchange on this here, but I am intrigued by your sons views on independence being for the disenfranchised. That would appear to be a heavy endorsement, unless I misunderstand his position. Who would not wish to engage the disenfranchised? Or is he suggesting that there is a significant group of people outwith Scotland that should have a right to vote? That is a very different proposition.
It'd probably be best if he could explain for himself - if you send me a PM i'll give you his Scottish Parliament email address. 
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6439 on: June 10, 2013, 11:15 PM »

Can those with a burning desire to discuss independence, please do it somewhere else?  I suggest the existing thread in off-topic. Very Happy

I know it's tempting to add a quick reply, especially when someone leaves a comment or question hanging, but apart from it having nothing to do with Andy, the board isn't just used by Scottish people, so it's doubly irrelevant for them.

Regarding Alex Salmond's involvement in a tennis centre.  I don't think he ever committed to anything.  I think he just rocked up to the Dunblane home-coming to get his photo taken with Andy like a typical politician.   I know someone high up in the SNP who knows him well and thinks he's a right tosser ('scuse the French).  He's great at self-promotion and loves the sound of his own voice, but he's full of bluster.   I remember reading what he'd said on the subject carefully and thinking that he'd not actually said anything - just tried to associate himself with a positive news story.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6440 on: June 10, 2013, 11:17 PM »

Can those with a burning desire to discuss independence, please do it somewhere else?  I suggest the existing thread in off-topic. Very Happy

I know it's tempting to add a quick reply, especially when someone leaves a comment or question hanging, but apart from it having nothing to do with Andy, the board isn't just used by Scottish people, so it's doubly irrelevant for them.

Regarding Alex Salmond's involvement in a tennis centre.  I don't think he ever committed to anything.  I think he just rocked up to the Dunblane home-coming to get his photo taken with Andy like a typical politician.   I know someone high up in the SNP who knows him well and thinks he's a right tosser ('scuse the French).  He's great at self-promotion and loves the sound of his own voice, but he's full of bluster.   I remember reading what he'd said on the subject carefully and thinking that he'd not actually said anything - just tried to associate himself with a positive news story.
sorry
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6441 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/10/andy-murray-dan-evans-aegon-championships

Andy Murray calls for rankings change as Dan Evans starts with a win

Murray, who will play his opening match on Wednesday, believes tennis should consider adopting golf's system of basing rankings on two years' worth of performances not one, and expressed sympathy with Rafael Nadal, who despite winning 43 out of 45 matches since returning from a seven-month lay off, will be seeded fifth for Wimbledon.

"In tennis, if you miss four or five months it is almost impossible to maintain your ranking," said Murray. "So Rafa will be seeded five for Wimbledon, which is tough as he is better than that.

"That is how our ranking system works. It's a one-year ranking whereas with golf it is a two-year ranking, so even if one of the best players in the world gets injured they can still maintain their ranking.

"I saw that with the bookies [Novak] Djokovic is the favourite, I'm second favourite, then Rafa third then Roger [Federer]," said Murray. "But who knows with the way Rafa played at the French Open? He can beat anyone playing like that."

I don't think he quite said that about Nadal, did he? He mentioned the rankings bit, then the odds. He was remarkably quick to say he hopes he wins Wimbles. I'm inclined to agree!

I've just been arguing with a fool on another site who thinks Nadal is going to win everything in sight this year. A typical know-nothing bandwagon jumper, he was soon told. He thinks Andy is going to be beaten at Wimbledon by one of the big four, which tells you all you need to know!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6442 on: June 10, 2013, 11:53 PM »

^ I hate to say it, but it's not outwith the realms of possibility that Andy does get beaten at Wimbledon by one of these guys.  However, I don't think Nadal will win - if anyone does it's most likely to be Djokovic, or even Fed (again).  I'm not being negative, just realistic, and maybe I'll be so very wrong!  Fingers crossed.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6443 on: June 11, 2013, 02:40 AM »

There's already a Scottish Politics thread which was opened specifically for such discussions - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/chit-chat/t23067/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6444 on: June 11, 2013, 03:04 AM »

^ I hate to say it, but it's not outwith the realms of possibility that Andy does get beaten at Wimbledon by one of these guys.  However, I don't think Nadal will win - if anyone does it's most likely to be Djokovic, or even Fed (again).  I'm not being negative, just realistic, and maybe I'll be so very wrong!  Fingers crossed.
Andy has now been demoted to 3rd favourite with the bookies following Nadal's success at RG, which I'm sure won't concern him in the slightest, although Federer might not take too kindly to being the 4th!

I'm not so sure that I agree with making tennis rankings the same as golf rankings because, when you think about it, how many players are likely to be unlucky enough to be out as long as Nadal was?   Also there is a Protected Ranking rule in place -

Protected Ranking: A player injured for a minimum of six months can ask for a protected ranking, which will be based on his or her average ranking during the first three months of his or her injury. The player will be able to use his or her protected ranking to enter tournaments' main draws or qualifying competitions, when coming back from injury.

Therefore, as far as my brain can understand things at this at time of night, surely Nadal's ranking should have stayed at #3?

That though, won't be of any comfort to players who are out for a few months but not as long as six, so maybe the ATP should look at this.
[ Last edit by Aileen June 11, 2013, 03:07 AM ] IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #6445 on: June 11, 2013, 07:28 AM »

Nadal is now 2nd favourite in the bookies ahead of Murray.

In this Dutch article Murray mentioned that for bookmakers Djokovic is favorite, then Murray, Nadal and Federer.

Murray is right, now the top 3 can face Nadal before the semi finals.

http://www.nu.nl/sport/3497409/murray-pleit-andere-opzet-wereldranglijst.html
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6446 on: June 11, 2013, 08:37 AM »

As no.5 Nadal could face any of the top four in the quarters at Wimbles couldn't he? That being true, I think the tournament will sacrifice Ferrer. There's no way they would want to risk losing Djokovic, Andy, Nadal  or Federer as early as the quarters, surely. People will insist the draw is random. Yes, right, course it is.

Oh, and will one of you volunteer to buy me a hat, so I can eat it if Nadal wins? I don't see Federer or Nadal winning.

Personally I'm waiting for Nadal to play his first match, so we get the Rosol story again. How much do we want to bet that according to the comms Nadal lost that match because he was injured? That's about as much crap as Federer not winning the Olympic gold because he was tired!
[ Last edit by teejay1 June 11, 2013, 08:47 AM ] IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6447 on: June 11, 2013, 08:39 AM »

Just reading the headline and first paragraph of this article in The Independent, is enough.
The source is obviously Andy's answer to the question put to him in yesterday's interview. I don't recall him 'bemoaning'. I thought he was very matter of fact about things - replying with a 'it is what it is' type of response.

But, typical of the media - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-bemoans-tough-rankings-system-8652996.html
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6448 on: June 11, 2013, 08:41 AM »

Elly you've slightly missed my point. The fool I know thinks Andy will be beaten by one of the big four. Last time I checked Andy was 2 in the world and therefore one if the big four.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #6449 on: June 11, 2013, 08:51 AM »

http://www.lta.org.uk/digitalbtq?pageNumber=12

British Tennis Quarterly recently caught up with @andy_murray to chat about his amazing year

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bionic-man-andy-murray-straps-1944630?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1846285/report-andy-murray-could-face-triple-threat-of-wimbledon-champs-rafael-nadal-roger-federer-and-novak-djokovic-on-the-way-to-title

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/11/andy-murray-documentary-maker-admits-tennis-stars-life-is-just-ordinary-3836003/
[ Last edit by flowerpower June 11, 2013, 09:00 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 429 [430] 431 432 433 ... 722 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »