Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 ... 723 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 430160 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6525 on: June 18, 2013, 04:19 PM »

Andy's comment about possibly being drawn to play Nadal in the quarters of Wimbledon come from his blog on the BBC's website, I'm sure they do. He talks about the draw, how there is no point getting hung up about it. He's absolutely right.

What Andy is saying is if he meets Nadal in the quarters, then so be it. He knows perfectly well that to win slams you have to beat everyone put in front of you, whoever they are. He also knows that top players have been known to be beaten in early rounds of slams, so what I think he's saying is that if someone turned around and said to him, 'Andy you've made the quarter finals of Wimbledon and it's against Nadal', he would be fine with that, because he will have gone deep into the tournament, with a chance of more to come. He's not expressing an opinion as to whether he wants to meet Nadal or not - indeed, why would he express such a view? He's definitely not saying that he would be happy to settle for the quarter finals. If he expressed that view I'd forget myself and slap him one!

There is no point in Andy, or any of the others for that matter, worrying about who they may or may not play. There's no real point in worrying about it even when the draw comes out. Slams have been known to have upsets. What I'm sure Andy will do is focus on each match at a time. There is no point doing anything else, because worrying about it uses energy, which would be much better spent working his way through his draw.

Personally I'm still convinced Ferrer will probably be drawn to meet Nadal in the quarters. I know they say the draws are random, but are they really? My feeling is that the tournament will not want to lose Djokovic, Andy, Federer (although, in his case they might fancy a juicy quarter I suppose?) or Nadal too early, so the way to give some certainty, to a point, that won't happen, is to sacrifice Ferrer. It's probably wrong, but that's my theory.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6526 on: June 18, 2013, 04:44 PM »

I believe the draws are random, despite what a lot of people seem to think. That's the kind of thing that surely gets properly regulated to stop favourable bias.

It's quite possible that Djokovic, Federer and Nadal will all be in the same half yet, now that would be fun.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6527 on: June 18, 2013, 05:03 PM »

I am not sure about the Wimbledon draws. No matter what Andy always seems to get the tough end of the draw. Maybe I'm not being fair but he always seems to be drawn on the hard side of the draw with Smugfed always comes up smelling of roses. I just hope Andy plays well and manages to get to the final. Maybe third time lucky.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #6528 on: June 18, 2013, 05:28 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if Andy's on the opposite side of the draw to Rafa for once. He's lost to him in 2008, 2010 and 2011, and was seeded to meet him in the SFs last year too had Rafa not lost early to Rosol. I know they've both had various rankings during this time and it's probably just down to chance, but I'd definitely prefer a Rafa-free half of the draw for Andy this year.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #6529 on: June 18, 2013, 05:34 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if Andy's on the opposite side of the draw to Rafa for once. He's lost to him in 2008, 2010 and 2011, and was seeded to meet him in the SFs last year too had Rafa not lost early to Rosol. I know they've both had various rankings during this time and it's probably just down to chance, but I'd definitely prefer a Rafa-free half of the draw for Andy this year.

It could definitely come down to a rigged chance. And Andy could still potentially meet with Rafa in the final.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6530 on: June 18, 2013, 05:40 PM »

People shouldn't get too hung up on language, especially off-the-cuff comments from sportspersons who are not always the best with words.
Very good advice.  IMO, it's best to keep an open mind about possible interpretations, especially when the full context is often unknown.  We know this is from Andy's column, so we can be fairly confident he said it, which is not always the case, but he doesn't sit down and transcribe the whole thing.  He gets asked questions and answers them.   He may have been asked "are you scared about the possibility of meeting Nadal in the QFs?", to which he answered "no".   And so on.

The reality it, the only sensible way to answer that sort of question is to say he's not scared.  It's very true that you have to be prepared to face top players, and Andy is the person who went to Spain because the competition in Scotland wasn't enough to satisfy him, so it's more than plausible that he is really excited at the thought of playing Rafa again.  However, it's also fair to say that it's professional suicide to admit to being scared of playing a certain opponent.  He'd be heavily criticised for being defeatist, and rightly so.

I get anxious when Andy's opponents get to 30 on his serve, but fortunately Andy is much cooler under pressure than me, and seems to thrive on it, and for the top players, I suspect it's a big part of what drives them. I'd also argue that Rafa will be slightly easier to beat in a quarter final than in a semi or actual final, as the courts are faster and less suited to him earlier in the competition.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6531 on: June 18, 2013, 06:00 PM »

Just read on twitter that Judy Murray and Colin Monty are combining to set up a golf and tennis centre near Stirling. Great news for Scotland.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #6532 on: June 18, 2013, 06:05 PM »

Just read on twitter that Judy Murray and Colin Monty are combining to set up a golf and tennis centre near Stirling. Great news for Scotland.
  Interesting. Monty is another much-maligned Scottish sportsperson.
IP Logged
Big dutch fan of Andy
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6533 on: June 18, 2013, 06:17 PM »

News Stirling   http://news.stv.tv/stirling-central/229831-judy-murray-and-colin-montgomerie-reveal-tennis-and-golf-centre-plans/
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #6534 on: June 18, 2013, 11:34 PM »

Thanks for the link dutch fan of Andy, exciting new or what!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6535 on: June 18, 2013, 11:45 PM »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1676357-no-more-excuses-for-andy-murray-at-wimbledon
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #6536 on: June 18, 2013, 11:52 PM »

"It has been nine months since a British man last won a Grand Slam. It's time for Andy Murray to stop the drought. "

Don't ya just love it!!

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6537 on: June 19, 2013, 09:01 AM »

"It has been nine months since a British man last won a Grand Slam. It's time for Andy Murray to stop the drought. "

Don't ya just love it!!

lol
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6538 on: June 19, 2013, 03:12 PM »

Bleacher report site is a bit of a fed tard zone at times but i have seen a lot of positive stuff about Murray recently on there and also the comments section of that article are interesting with only 1 dimwit writing in caps about how Andy is a loser etc with a lot of people telling him to stop spouting rubbish, things are looking up.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6539 on: June 20, 2013, 09:52 AM »

Andy answers readers questions:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22951678
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 ... 723 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »