Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 442 [443] 444 445 446 ... 711 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 408882 times)
Moozza

Re: News Articles « Reply #6630 on: June 24, 2013, 07:07 PM »

lol yeah nice spot, i don't think he will be the only one though trying to bury his head in the sand today, McEnroe was also predicting that Nadal would crush all in his path over the next fortnight.

Something about Cash's prediction is particularly amusing though. I'm not sure if it's the overly confident tone of his article or the way he dismissed Murray's slam wins over Nadal, but this one is good.

Nadal has been ridiculously overhyped recently. He had an amazing clay season, yes, but he is easily the GOAT on clay. On other surfaces he isn't even close to the same level. Lots of people seemed to forget this.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6631 on: June 24, 2013, 07:08 PM »

Do they hand out awards for how well pundits predict the course of tournaments? If so, Cash won't be winning any time soon, will he?  Whistle

Nadal was going to crush everyone in his way, win Wimbles and the USO, not to mention everything in sight in between, and finish the year at no.1 according to a whole bunch of idiots - er, I mean people. Not looking likely now is it?

Tell you what's really funny about this, if it isn't mean (well it is, but I'm not sure I care) Nadal had points from getting to the second round last year and hasn't even managed to defend them!

I wonder how long the hissy fit will last this time?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6632 on: June 24, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Something about Cash's prediction is particularly amusing though. I'm not sure if it's the overly confident tone of his article or the way he dismissed Murray's slam wins over Nadal, but this one is good.

Nadal has been ridiculously overhyped recently. He had an amazing clay season, yes, but he is easily the GOAT on clay. On grass he isn't even close to the same level. Lots of people seemed to forget this.
To be fair- it's actually not Rafa's fault that he's been overhyped.  He has no control over the media.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6633 on: June 24, 2013, 07:11 PM »

In spite of all the drivel that will now be spouted about Nadal and his knees, I remain completely unconvinced about the knees. Didn't Nadal refuse to play at Queen's because of the financial situation I.e. being clobbered for tax? I imagine the reason is a simple lack of grass court matches after being out for si long. We have to remember Mr Darcis has got previous form for this sort of situation. He took out Berdych in the Olympics for us.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6634 on: June 24, 2013, 07:31 PM »

I imagine the reason is a simple lack of grass court matches after being out for si long. We have to remember Mr Darcis has got previous form for this sort of situation. He took out Berdych in the Olympics for us.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong, I didn't think Nadal was moving especially well, but I think it's too easy to put the loss entirely down to the knees. Darcis's play appeared to have a lot to do with it.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6635 on: June 24, 2013, 10:22 PM »

Transcript of Andy's presser from today-a good read Smile Some interesting stuff about the match,Laura's future chances,how he said no to the documentary idea for about 7 months before changing his mind,etc.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/interviews/2013-06-24/201306241372106671033.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6636 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49 AM »

In spite of all the drivel that will now be spouted about Nadal and his knees, I remain completely unconvinced about the knees. Didn't Nadal refuse to play at Queen's because of the financial situation I.e. being clobbered for tax? I imagine the reason is a simple lack of grass court matches after being out for si long. We have to remember Mr Darcis has got previous form for this sort of situation. He took out Berdych in the Olympics for us.
surely it was obvious he couldn't run properly in some directions on the knee?  I agree that lack of grass court match practice will have been a factor as was darcis playing extremely well.  To be fair to rafa he refused to allow his knee to be used as an excuse in his pressa.  He's a good loser and I like that about him.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6637 on: June 25, 2013, 08:54 AM »

Andy's newest column:

Andy Murray column: Don't write Rafael Nadal off

This might be my eighth Wimbledon but I still feel the nerves, the pressure and the excitement to get out there on the court.

For the last few days before the tournament you're not really hitting many balls, but you're around Wimbledon doing the media work and practising a little bit.

You just want to get out there and play, so it was great to finally step onto Centre Court.

Sometimes the grass can be a bit slippery under foot on the opening day, but it was playing beautifully and I made a good start against Benjamin Becker.

The build-up has been a bit different this year as I missed the French Open, so I've been at home for longer than usual, but the last couple of weeks have gone fairly quickly for me.

And, for the record, my coach Ivan Lendl hasn't tried to repay me for hitting him with a forehand during the charity match at Queen's Club last week. We hit some balls one day, but he didn't try anything. I'm on my guard though, don't worry.

I'm always nervous the night before a big tournament and this time there was also a bit of build-up to the BBC documentary that went out on Sunday. I took a fair bit of persuading to get involved with it, but I know there's been quite a bit of positive reaction and I appreciate it a lot.

I haven't actually seen it myself yet, apart from the last five minutes, as I was told it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me so close to the biggest couple of weeks of the year.

We recorded it and I'll definitely have a look at some stage, but I watched Mock The Week instead. The perfect preparation!

It clearly worked as I got through my first match in straight sets, but obviously the big news of day one was Rafael Nadal losing to Steve Darcis.

I could see what was happening via the scoreboard on Centre Court at each change of ends, but to be honest I didn't think much about it
at the time as I was concentrating on my match.

I know Rafa was in my half of the draw, but I would have to win five matches before it even became an issue for me, so it doesn't alter my thinking at all right now.

I'm sure there will be people writing Rafa off left right and centre because he lost in the first round, but that happens sometimes. He'll be back.

I've no idea how bad his knee is and whether it affected him, but I'm sure the thing he found really difficult was that this year he's played predominantly on clay.

He didn't have a warm-up event on grass after the French Open and he was playing against a guy who likes playing on grass - Darcis beat Tomas Berdych in the first round of the Olympics here last year, so he likes this surface.

Players get injured a lot and you often have niggles that you have to deal with. Sometimes they make no difference to how you play, sometimes they make a big difference, but the thing with injuries is that if you say something about it afterwards, you're called a sore loser.

The fact is everybody's got used to the top guys dominating at the end of Grand Slams and that can't go on forever.

It feels like a big surprise that Rafa is out, and last year it was a huge shock when he lost to Lukas Rosol, but I'm sure that in the years to come it won't be so surprising because there's going to be more guys coming up and challenging.

It's so tough to keep getting to the latter stages and winning these events all the time, because the level of play is getting better, guys are continuing to improve, and there's a lot of pressure as well. Sometimes that can get to you, and the more times you have to deal with it, the harder it can become.

My next match is a perfect example of how difficult the early matches can be, as I lost to Yen-Hsun Lu in the first round of the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

I was so excited to play in the Olympics and be part of it that I was doing a lot of media, I was going to the opening ceremony, I was trying to speak to all of the athletes and take pictures with them, I was collecting the pins from each team - I was loving being part of it.

But when I lost, I thought, 'Why was I doing all that stuff? I'm here to win matches, I'm not here to collect pins.' I loved going to the opening ceremony but had to think 'is that the best thing for my preparation'?

I learnt a lot from that match, it was one of the toughest losses of my career, and I don't plan to repeat the experience on Wednesday. I'm feeling fit, healthy and in form, so hopefully it will be another good performance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23035934
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6638 on: June 25, 2013, 09:00 AM »

goodjob
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6639 on: June 26, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Wimbledon 2013: Andy Murray refuses to accept his path to the final is clear

Andy Murray insists he is not under greater pressure to win his first Wimbledon title following the shock eliminations of three of his main rivals.

The Olympic champion appeared to have the toughest possible route to the final last Friday when he landed in the same half of the draw as Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

But they have all bowed out of the championship inside the first three days, leaving Murray’s route to the showpiece final seemingly straightforward.

The Scot, however, was quick to defuse suggestions he has it easy from here on in and said: ‘I don’t know if one of my biggest battles will be handling expectation.

‘I just have to take care of what’s going on on my side of the court, practise well, prepare well for the matches, try and concentrate on each one at a time. I’ve done a good job of that the last few years.

‘Everybody was so obsessed with how the draw was before the tournament started. Now everybody wants to change their views on it because a few guys have lost.

‘There’s top players still left in there and there’s a lot of young guys as well coming through, guys like [Ernests] Gulbis, [Jerzy] Janowicz. Those sort of players are starting to break through and play more consistently.

‘I will just concentrate on my next match. I’m playing a top player next in Tommy Robredo, a very experienced guy. He had a good win against Nicolas Mahut who has been playing very well in grass.

‘He’s very, very experienced, he’s extremely fit. He won three matches in a row at the French Open from two sets to love down. He fights right until the last point.’

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/26/wimbledon-2013-andy-murray-refuses-to-accept-his-path-to-the-final-is-clear-3858319/
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6640 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15 AM »

Andy's newest bbc column:

Andy Murray on Wimbledon & Serena Williams Vegas match-up

This Wimbledon has provided the perfect reminder that one bad performance and I'm out of the tournament.

I'm happy to say that for the second round running, my match was not the story of the day and the big news was being made elsewhere.

After Rafael Nadal lost on Monday, Sergiy Stakhovsky beat Roger Federer to show once again that you can run into someone playing the match of their life and, if you're not quite on it, you can lose. I played Stakhovsky in the final of the US Open juniors and he's a very talented guy with great hands and good feel.

It's another example of why every time you step on the court, you need to be ready and you need to be prepared.

When everyone else gets carried away with the draw and who might play who, I'll just concentrate on my matches and I was delighted to get past Yen-Hsun Lu in three sets and move another step forward.

There was certainly plenty going on elsewhere with all sorts of injuries and retirements, and this has just been one of those tournaments so far. Because of that, I was a bit tentative at the start of my match, but I didn't have any problems with the court and soon felt fine.

I don't know the ins and outs of everyone's injuries, but I do think players are quicker these days and grass is a tough surface to stop on. The way the guys throw their bodies around the court now, they seem to slip down more than they used to.

You can't move like that on a grass court; you need to be very particular with your foot placement and that's the thing that takes time to get used to coming from the clay. There you can be throwing your right leg into sliding for a ball; here you have to take small steps to slow yourself down or you'll fall.

We certainly saw a lot of retirements on Wednesday but it's hard to make any judgement about why that was, because as athletes you spend a lot of your time carrying injuries of one sort or another.

I'd say there are three categories: about 20% of the time your body feels great and you feel nothing; quite a bit of the time you'll have something that might be a bit sore, but it doesn't affect your tennis at all; the rest of the time you can be carrying something that means you have to compensate and make adjustments to your game. Everyone has to deal with it.

Playing at Grand Slams takes its toll because of the five-set matches; you have to do more training to play for five sets, which then shortens your career.

Playing for three sets requires a different sort of fitness - you don't really need the endurance, you just need to be quick and explosive for two or two and a half hours, whereas the endurance aspect comes into it in the best-of-five-set matches. But it's always been best-of-five in the Slams and I don't mind that - I'm used to it now.

That isn't an argument about men's and women's tennis, by the way, although I have been challenged by someone on Twitter to taking on Serena Williams. I'd be up for it, why not?

I've never hit with her but she's obviously an incredible player and I think people would be interested to see the men play against the women to see how the styles match up. It's happened in the past with Jimmy Connors and Martina Navratilova. How about Las Vegas as a venue?

For now, I'm totally focused on Friday and playing Tommy Robredo in the third round.

He's a top player, very experienced and he came back from two sets down three times in a row at the French Open, so I know he'll fight until the very last point.

I'll prepare by practising with Kyle Edmund, the British junior, as I hit with him a couple of days before the tournament and he's a good guy. Then I'll do all my physio and my fitness work and, if I can get through on Friday, I know I've then got two days off to recuperate.

That might give me a chance to take the dogs for a walk, as I don't see them during the day and by the time I get home they're pretty tired. I think their TV appearance last weekend must have exhausted them, although they haven't turned into complete divas yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23067434

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6641 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28 AM »

Great column as usual andy  wub thanks Dani x
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6642 on: June 27, 2013, 09:38 AM »

Yes, thanks Dani.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6643 on: June 27, 2013, 09:41 AM »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/murray-serves-up-a-dream-day-for-brain-tumour-girl.21447485
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6644 on: June 27, 2013, 10:01 AM »

glad to see Andy remaining totally level headed while all the comms are losing theirs. And what an opportunity for Edmund to hit with him. Thanks for posting dani.  And that's a great story too angie.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 442 [443] 444 445 446 ... 711 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »