Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 467352 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6645 on: June 27, 2013, 01:15 PM »

lol the press are making a huge thing of an Andy vs Serena match now. That would be fun if it happened.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6646 on: June 27, 2013, 01:16 PM »

I bet it does because I think Serena is an Andy fan
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #6647 on: June 27, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Posted in the official Andy Murray site

Andy urges support for Glasgow Youth Olympic Games 2018

News - Thursday, June 27 2013
Andy has used his return to Wimbledon, the scene of his famous gold medal triumph at London 2012, to urge people to get behind Glasgow’s bid to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games (YOG).

The British number 1, who will take on Spaniard Tommy Robredo in the third round on Friday, is relishing being back on the grass courts at SW19. And he is backing Glasgow’s bid to stage the 2018 YOG, saying the city’s passionate fans and world-class venues will make it the perfect host.

The Glasgow 2018 bid team has vowed to put young people at the heart of the Games and have already engaged more than 1.5million young people from across the UK.

Andy believes his gold at the London 2012 Olympic Games was the catalyst for what has been one of his best years yet. And the current world number 2 says Glasgow 2018 can have the same effect on the best young sports stars, inspiring them to be champions in their lives.

Andy said: “It’s a great feeling being back at Wimbledon. London 2012 was inspiring on so many levels and I know that Glasgow 2018 can be the same. The fans in Glasgow are known across the world for their passion and that is something that the best young athletes in the world would respond to.

“It is incredible to think that the next generation of stars could be taking their first steps on the road to success in Glasgow. I never had the chance to play in a Youth Olympic Games but the experience of London 2012 will live with me forever. I wish that young people globally continue to be inspired by the Olympic ideals and that they get that chance in Glasgow.

“The support from the fans at the Olympics was something else and really inspired me. They drove me on and in that final and I probably played one of the best matches of my life that day. It gave me the belief that I could go on and win a slam.”

Since winning Olympic gold Andy won the US Open with a thrilling five-set victory over Novak Djokavic. He continued his preparations for Wimbledon with his third win in the Aegon Championships on the grass courts at Queen’s Club.

Please visit www.glasgow2018.com to find out more on Glasgow’s bid to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6648 on: June 28, 2013, 09:13 AM »

There's a piece on the BBC's website where Tim Henman looks at the rest of Andy's draw and assesses how dangerous they might be.

I can't remember how to link to it on my iPad, but it's worth a read.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6649 on: June 28, 2013, 09:26 AM »

There's a piece on the BBC's website where Tim Henman looks at the rest of Andy's draw and assesses how dangerous they might be.

I can't remember how to link to it on my iPad, but it's worth a read.

Thanks Teejay,I went looking for it after you told us about it Smile

Here's the link,for anyone who might want it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23079558
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6650 on: June 28, 2013, 09:43 AM »

No problem Dani Smile.

I couldn't really argue with Tim's take on things.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6651 on: June 28, 2013, 02:05 PM »

What Andy would tell his younger self, don't quite know why but I got emotional reading this.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9418365/notes-younger-self
[ Last edit by angiebabez June 28, 2013, 02:08 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6652 on: June 28, 2013, 02:49 PM »

What Andy would tell his younger self, don't quite know why but I got emotional reading this.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9418365/notes-younger-self

It is emotional. It shows how Andy has learned the hard way. It also shows that Andy is aware that frustration, anger, can stop you getting what you want. Thank God he's clearer in his thinking now.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6653 on: June 28, 2013, 02:53 PM »

Oh,that last line made me teary!

Thanks Angie x
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6654 on: June 28, 2013, 03:18 PM »

It just occurs to me that if Andy does what we all hope and dream in the next fortnight, that piece is going to be even more emotional!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6655 on: June 28, 2013, 05:26 PM »

Guys I thought it was just me having a soppy day as well.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6656 on: June 28, 2013, 05:31 PM »

Guys I thought it was just me having a soppy day as well.

No, I can blub at commercials, so filling up over an emotional article is nothing Smile.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6657 on: June 28, 2013, 11:46 PM »

I wonder is it the Mail just speculating again,or have they heard something definite about plans for another book?  Think

"Andy Murray's official autobiography, Hitting Back, written at the grand old age of 21, sold only around 10,000 copies. In contrast, a biography by tennis writer Mark Hodgkinson called Andy Murray Champion,  was rushed out after his US Open success and has had 25,000 hardback sales. A paperback is just published, as well as editions in Polish and Japanese. The Murray camp did not co-operate with the rival publication because there will be another autobiography down the line."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2351341/Charles-Sale-Annabel-Croft-gets-Serena-Williams.html
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6658 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47 PM »

Mike Dickson makes the interesting point that next week will be as much a psychological test as a physical one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2351340/Wimbledon-2013-Andy-Murray-count-chickens.html

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #6659 on: June 29, 2013, 09:11 AM »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon-2013-andy-murray-close-2008220

It's tempting Wimbledon fate, but Andy Murray is close to irresistible when playing like he did against Robredo

Pretty much the only thing that went wrong was when he bounced a ball on his foot as he was preparing to serve, writes Oliver Holt

And so, in this tournament of tempests, Andy Murray sails serenely on.

Amid the shocks and the injuries, the early farewells and the sprains, Murray made it into Wimbledon’s second week without a scratch.

The Scot played quite beautifully to brush aside the accomplished Tommy Robredo with contemptuous ease.

Murray played with such a bewitching mixture of power and guile that he made Robredo look like a novice.

It is tempting fate terribly but in this kind of form, he is close to irresistible.

Last night, under the Centre Court roof, he was simply majestic.

If he can stay close to this level, there should be no one in his denuded half of the draw capable of getting anywhere near him.

Then there will be Novak Djokovic, of course, and that will be a different matter.

If both progress to the final, a titanic encounter awaits a week tomorrow.

This clash was utterly one-sided.

Pretty much the only thing that went wrong for Murray all evening was when he bounced a ball on his foot by mistake as he was preparing to serve.

He made amends by serving an ace and winning the game to love.

He wrapped up his 6-2, 6-4, 7-5 victory in just over two hours to set up a fourth-round clash with either Mikhail Youzhny or Viktor Troicki on Monday afternoon.

If either of them was watching Murray’s victory, they may have already booked their flight home on Tuesday morning.

It should be pointed out amid the optimism that Robredo is hardly at his most comfortable on the lawns of the All England Club.

This is a man who has not reached the fourth round here in 12 appearances and reserves his best performances for clay and hard courts.

He had only reached the third round twice before yesterday and in the first set in particular, he played like a man who has little affinity for grass.

There was no conviction to his slice and his forehands were loaded with so much top spin that they sat up nicely, ready for Murray to hammer them back flat.

Robredo played, in short, like a man marooned on the wrong surface. He is a fine player but Murray exposed his shortcomings on grass ruthlessly.

Murray did not give Robredo a chance to settle. From the first point, he was crowding him and hustling him.

He wore him down and outrallied him to break his serve in the third game of the first set and never looked back.

The best shot of the match was an early cross backhand return that Murray took ridiculously early and slammed past Robredo for a winner.

That earned Murray the break point that led to a 4-1 lead and although Murray was broken back, he broke the Spaniard again to dash into a one-set lead.

Robredo has a habit of reacting well to adversity and his play improved in the second set.

But Murray still broke his serve early and was never really threatened.

Robredo rescued some pride at least. He played even better in the third set and Murray had to fight to stay with him.

But a backhand volley that landed on the line gave Murray a break point at 5-5 and his outclassed opponent folded
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »