Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 ... 772 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 489036 times)
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: News Articles « Reply #6705 on: July 02, 2013, 10:43 PM »

Believe it or not, Wimbledon is less stuffy and more noisy than it once was.  I used to go there in the 1960s when I worked in London.  I those days there was a large standing area beside CC (half-price after 5pm) so it was a favourite spot for those of us real tennis fans who couldn't afford the price of a seat.

The only trouble was that we weren't allowed to give vent to our feelings apart from clapping good shots and voicing the occasional 'ooh' at a great one, just like those having seats, because the Great God Silence ruled and umpires were quick to enforce it.  It was only when the likes of Nastase, McEnroe and Connors came on the scene that spectators became more vocal and there was nothing the authorities could do about it. 

That's interesting Aileen. I was sure the likes of Nastase and McEnroe used to really annoy the stuffy establishment at Wimbledon - and I loved them all the more for it ! I wonder what those old guys would think of some of our modern stars.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6706 on: July 02, 2013, 10:43 PM »

That article about the fans is brilliant, and true.

It's a shame that roof was ever put on Centre Court, and I don't just mean because of last year's final. If there was no roof and it rained all day next Sunday (assuming Andy makes the final, just for the sake of making my point) the final would be moved to the Monday, and then imagine the support Andy would have. The seats would be filled by people who want to support him, not people who want their Pimm's and strawberrie, oh, and the odd scone, while they take the odd glance down at the court and clap the odd shot very politely, because God forbid anyone should show some real emotion.

I remember watching the final in 2001 between Rafter and Ivanesivic, which was played on a Monday. That was an atmosphere, the sort of atmosphere Andy deserves, but also the sort of atmosphere that would lift him.

I always felt that last year the crowd tried to help Andy when it was far too late. I hope this year they will learn from their mistake. If not, I hope those people who have packed Murray Mount for all of Andy's matches so far will be loud and proud in their support.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6707 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45 PM »

That's interesting Aileen. I was sure the likes of Nastase and McEnroe used to really annoy the stuffy establishment at Wimbledon - and I loved them all the more for it ! I wonder what those old guys would think of some of our modern stars.
I know Johnny Mac has said that he doesn't think they're lively enough - his idea of lively that is!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6708 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Believe it or not, Wimbledon is less stuffy and more noisy than it once was.  I used to go there in the 1960s when I worked in London.  I those days there was a large standing area beside CC (half-price after 5pm) so it was a favourite spot for those of us real tennis fans who couldn't afford the price of a seat.

The only trouble was that we weren't allowed to give vent to our feelings apart from clapping good shots and voicing the occasional 'ooh' at a great one, just like those having seats, because the Great God Silence ruled and umpires were quick to enforce it.  It was only when the likes of Nastase, McEnroe and Connors came on the scene that spectators became more vocal and there was nothing the authorities could do about it. 

Yeah it has improved, i only started watching tennis in the mid 80s and i remember the robinsons drink bottles and stiff upper lip BBC commentators and it was so weird watching players like Mac and Connors acting like unruly schoolboys Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6709 on: July 02, 2013, 10:53 PM »

I know Johnny Mac has said that he doesn't think they're lively enough - his idea of lively that is!

It was interesting to hear Mac on the American version of the Olympic final. He was talking just before Andy came out to serve for the match. He was really keen for the crowd to be really noisy in their support of Andy during the sit down before Andy served. He reckoned the support would help Andy to not get nervous. It makes sense.

That crowd before Andy served for the USO could teach Wimbledon a thing or two. That was amazing, and Andy isn't even American!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6710 on: July 03, 2013, 12:09 AM »

It was interesting to hear Mac on the American version of the Olympic final. He was talking just before Andy came out to serve for the match. He was really keen for the crowd to be really noisy in their support of Andy during the sit down before Andy served. He reckoned the support would help Andy to not get nervous. It makes sense.

That crowd before Andy served for the USO could teach Wimbledon a thing or two. That was amazing, and Andy isn't even American!
Yes, TJ, the difference is that the Americans recognise a great sportsman or woman when they see one and show their appreciation accordingly.  They were also probably aware of Andy's previous GS failures and knew what he'd had to go through to to get this far and what the likely consequences would be if he lost this particular final.  He'd managed to claw his way back from the unthinkable and show them the true fighter that he is, and that's why he got such an ovation.

I do think though that the London Olympics brought a greater sporting awareness to this country, although how long it will last remains to be seen.

However heaven forbid that Flushing Meadows should revert to what it was like in Mac & Co's day.  The fans there can be raucous, yes, but back then there were instances where opposing groups of fans actually ran onto the court when the big names were playing and started fighting each other, and play had to be suspended for as long as it took for the police to shift them!  I don't know if you ever listened to Alistair Cooke's Letter from America, but shortly before his death in 2004 he dug out some of his old reports, and one of them was a very graphic account of a particularly ugly match there which, not surprisingly, was a McEnroe vs Connors one.

And talking of McEnroe/Connors - I came across this entertaining little clip from a match in Chicago in 1982.  Can you imagine an encounter like this between Nadal and Federer? Very Happy

IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Articles « Reply #6711 on: July 03, 2013, 12:51 AM »

Yes, TJ, the difference is that the Americans recognise a great sportsman or woman when they see one and show their appreciation accordingly.  They were also probably aware of Andy's previous GS failures and knew what he'd had to go through to to get this far and what the likely consequences would be if he lost this particular final.  He'd managed to claw his way back from the unthinkable and show them the true fighter that he is, and that's why he got such an ovation.

I do think though that the London Olympics brought a greater sporting awareness to this country, although how long it will last remains to be seen.

However heaven forbid that Flushing Meadows should revert to what it was like in Mac & Co's day.  The fans there can be raucous, yes, but back then there were instances where opposing groups of fans actually ran onto the court when the big names were playing and started fighting each other, and play had to be suspended for as long as it took for the police to shift them!  I don't know if you ever listened to Alistair Cooke's Letter from America, but shortly before his death in 2004 he dug out some of his old reports, and one of them was a very graphic account of a particularly ugly match there which, not surprisingly, was a McEnroe vs Connors one.

And talking of McEnroe/Connors - I came across this entertaining little clip from a match in Chicago in 1982.  Can you imagine an encounter like this between Nadal and Federer? Very Happy

This reminds me of a tirade by one close to us, dear old Ivan. 'What did I say? Whisper in my ear' hahaha.

[ Last edit by GangstaMurray July 03, 2013, 12:55 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6712 on: July 03, 2013, 01:20 AM »

Oh dear! lmao  It's hard to reconcile that Lendl with the seemingly emotionless Lendl of today, but at least he's well placed to understand Andy's frustrations and to advise him how to keep them under control, although Andy's worst tantrums were never as bad as that and his anger was usually directed at himself, not anyone else.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Articles « Reply #6713 on: July 03, 2013, 01:25 AM »

Very funny 20 seconds from Ivan.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6714 on: July 03, 2013, 01:31 AM »

Ha-ha ... Nice! I think the interviewer was a little embarrassed though. lol
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6715 on: July 03, 2013, 09:08 PM »

An article on the interview...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/andy-murray-bbc-interview-gary-richardson/
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6716 on: July 03, 2013, 09:12 PM »

^ The guy made a total arse of himself.  Absolute idiot.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6717 on: July 03, 2013, 10:04 PM »

Prick!!!
IP Logged
killieboyd
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6718 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25 PM »

That article about the fans is brilliant, and true.

It's a shame that roof was ever put on Centre Court, and I don't just mean because of last year's final. If there was no roof and it rained all day next Sunday (assuming Andy makes the final, just for the sake of making my point) the final would be moved to the Monday, and then imagine the support Andy would have. The seats would be filled by people who want to support him, not people who want their Pimm's and strawberrie, oh, and the odd scone, while they take the odd glance down at the court and clap the odd shot very politely, because God forbid anyone should show some real emotion.

I remember watching the final in 2001 between Rafter and Ivanesivic, which was played on a Monday. That was an atmosphere, the sort of atmosphere Andy deserves, but also the sort of atmosphere that would lift him.

I always felt that last year the crowd tried to help Andy when it was far too late. I hope this year they will learn from their mistake. If not, I hope those people who have packed Murray Mount for all of Andy's matches so far will be loud and proud in their support.

How close this statement almost was today!
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6719 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27 PM »

Richardson is a total idiot - his interviewing style is so condescending yet confrontational.
This 'interview' takes the biscuit - glad Andy gave it the respect it deserved.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 447 [448] 449 450 451 ... 772 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »