Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 2 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 482 [483] 484 485 486 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 465153 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7230 on: August 14, 2013, 06:12 PM »

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/archive/
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7231 on: August 14, 2013, 07:13 PM »

Andy Murray imperious against Mikhail Youzhny as US Open defence beckons
• Briton beats Russian 6-2, 6-3 in Western and Southern Open
• 'I maybe could have volleyed a bit better,' concedes Scot

Andy Murray celebrates his victory over Mikhail Youzhny of Russia at the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati. Photograph: Matthew Stockman/Getty Images
Kevin Mitchell in Cincinnati

When Andy Murray is in the mood – as he was in dismissing the uneven challenge of Mikhail Youzhny in the second round of the Western and Southern Open on a crisp and lovely Wednesday in Cincinnati – he encourages dreaming.

It is not fanciful to see this version of the world No2 successfully defending his US Open title when the Tour decamps to Flushing Meadows next week. On his way to closing out his fourth win over the Russian, 6-2, 6-3, Murray hit as pleasing a rhythm as he did during his Wimbledon progress to the title there. The ball left his racket with certainty, his balance and power were in lovely synchronicity and, although Youzhny has feared skills (notably a killer drop shot), he was competitive only in minor skirmishes; across the battlefield, he was slaughtered.

Youzhny had reason to believe he might do well, too. He beat Ernests Gulbis 7-5, 6-3 in the first round on Tuesday and there were moments against Murray when he looked every inch the world No 8 he once was. And 31 is not ancient in the modern game. When he won his ninth career ATP World Tour title at Gstaad last month, he became one of 13 players of 30 or older to win a title this year.

Murray, however, is some way removed from Robin Haase, whom Youzhny beat in Gstaad. And he is still a bigger threat than Gulbis – who caught him cold in Montreal last week. On Wednesday, Youzhny was unfortunate to run into a top-gear Murray.

"I was trying to get through this one safely," he said, "with the US Open so close. When I got a chance on his second serve, I was aggressive. Here and at the US Open, the courts allow you to take the ball early, especially on second serve. I maybe could have volleyed a little bit better but I will work on that."

A key to his game – and he showcased it to perfection on Wednesday – has been his defence, but sometimes his recovery shots defy all logic, as he shifts direction and speed in a twinkling to hunt down the unreachable, turning his replies into the unbelievable. He did that a few times here, extending his muscled right arm, often way behind the baseline or off the court on either side and flicking through the ball on the backhand at full stretch. Even from such unpromising positions, he still managed to put up teasing defensive lobs, too risky to take on the volley, yet landing delicately just inside the baseline, and they bamboozled Youzhny.

"Since I first came on the tour, I had good anticipation, chasing a lot of balls down, and I managed to do that today," Murray said. "The hard thing is not getting to the ball, it is getting into the right position to do something with it."

Any concerns about his fitness – and he did look a tad underdone at the Rogers Cup, going out tamely to Gulbis at the first time of asking – should be shelved. Murray was sharp and loose, playing well within himself. Although he has not played much since winning Wimbledon, he has ticked over nicely in training and there have been no problems with the back injury that kept him out of the French Open. "I'm in good shape," he said, paying homage to the six-week winter training block in Miami that brings him to a pre-season peak and keeps him there, injuries notwithstanding.

Wherever he goes now, Murray is asked to reflect on his Wimbledon triumph and was happy to do so again. "One thing I would like to have done [after winning Wimbledon] is spend more time with my close ones. It was such a big deal in our country but two weeks after it I went back to do normal stuff. All of my career, everything has happened quite slowly for me. I haven't made massive leaps, it's all been gradual. I hope I can keep working hard and achieve as much as I can."

So, the quiet assassin moves on through a tournament he has won twice. He is looking good.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/14/andy-murray-mikhail-youzhny
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7232 on: August 14, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Speaking of journalists, Kevin Mitchell seems to have gone awol lately, or is that me?

There you go teejay now we know where Kevin is Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #7233 on: August 14, 2013, 07:25 PM »

Brilliant article. Thanks, Angie.

"..the quiet assassin.." Love it!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7234 on: August 14, 2013, 07:53 PM »

ah Kev has finally turned up!  Guardian must have opened up the petty cash to release him  Whistle  Good to have him writing again as so enjoy his articles.  Liked what Andy said about things having moved slowly for him during his career - who knows even though Nole streaked ahead of him Andy might end up having the last laugh.  Also pleased to read that Andy plans to work on his volleys.
[ Last edit by Ruthie August 14, 2013, 07:57 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7235 on: August 14, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Brilliant article. Thanks, Angie.

"..the quiet assassin.." Love it!
thumb up
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7236 on: August 14, 2013, 11:11 PM »

There you go teejay now we know where Kevin is Smile

There we go, the lovely Kev!

I love Kev's writing style. He can be critical of Andy, I've read one or two pieces where he's been quite sharp at times, when he's felt that Andy had played below himself. When Andy is on though, Kev gets all poetic. I love it!

"...the quiet assassin..." We just have to use that one!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7237 on: August 14, 2013, 11:43 PM »

ah Kev has finally turned up!  Guardian must have opened up the petty cash to release him  Whistle  Good to have him writing again as so enjoy his articles. 
I saw him tweeting Neil Harman to say he was on his way!  It looks like he only turned up in time for Andy's first match, and will stay through the US Open, then he's off to Las Vegas for what I assume is a boxing match.  He seems to do other sport, so that has his attention some of the time.

It's a shame for the Brit journalists that they'd just got Andy to follow at this tournament.  It makes it harder to justify them being there in person, although I dare say a lot of this week will be spent doing ground-work for the US Open. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7238 on: August 15, 2013, 07:46 AM »

yes kev is a man of many parts Sparkle.  I think he does rugby as well as boxing sometimes.  Such a good writer.  Hope 'the quiet assassin' works ruthlessly today (no pun intended  Whistle )
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7239 on: August 15, 2013, 07:34 PM »

I really like Kev.  Definitely one of the best sports writers.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7240 on: August 15, 2013, 08:16 PM »

Guardian edited out 'the quiet assassin' from the paper version - shame
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7241 on: August 15, 2013, 08:46 PM »

Guardian edited out 'the quiet assassin' from the paper version - shame
I suppose I can understand why they did it.  Not the sort of words to use in today's world.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7242 on: August 16, 2013, 07:27 AM »

true though might also just be because he had less space in the paper than on line
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7243 on: August 16, 2013, 06:52 PM »

@ByJoeFleming: On Monday, Murray will announce BNP Paribas Showdown at MSG With Special Guest NY Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7244 on: August 17, 2013, 03:24 AM »

true though might also just be because he had less space in the paper than on line
As things turned out, perhaps it was just as well that these words were removed.

@ByJoeFleming: On Monday, Murray will announce BNP Paribas Showdown at MSG With Special Guest NY Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist
I'm confused - what's this BNP Paribas Showdown all about?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 482 [483] 484 485 486 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »