Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 486 [487] 488 489 490 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 468730 times)
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7290 on: August 22, 2013, 02:10 PM »

Hmm. The start of global endorsements: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/2013-wimbledon-champion-andy-murray-joins-the-fuse-team-220651211.html
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #7291 on: August 22, 2013, 02:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the news articles/videos. Smile

He has to strike while the iron is hot.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7292 on: August 22, 2013, 03:52 PM »

also the fact that it's a local organisation ie based in Miami could well have been a factor
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7293 on: August 22, 2013, 04:04 PM »

This is remarkable, i have never seen Andy looking so refreshed, is it me or does he actually look younger? it's really amazing to see someone who is obviously looking better for having a huge weight lifted from their shoulders.

He does look refreshed, doesn't he? I agree completely, he does look younger. It's amazing what losing a tonne of pressure will do.

Dare I say it, but in those sort of interview situations in the past, it would sometimes seem as if Andy was almost apologising for his presence. He rarely looked people in the eye, often showed a lot of very nervous looking body language. Now he doesn't. Either he has forgotten that he is shy, or he's realised he's damned good at this tennis malarky. I favour the latter Smile. Even in pressers after matches, win or lose, Andy looks different now.

I think it's really tough to imagine what Andy has been going through in his career. Andy is brilliant, to my mind there is no doubt about it. In some eyes though, there was a tendency to compare him with Federer, Nadal, and then Djokovic, as if his ability - to my mind he is more naturally talented than Djokovic and Nadal, and I'd put the variety in his game on a par with Federer - was cancelled out because they had won slams and he, before last year, hadn't.

People outside the game, and even some inside it, often used to question Andy's ability, whether in terms of his game or his mental strength. The problem I think Andy had was that losing those four major finals, or at least the first three, ate away at his self belief. He's spoken lately of how he felt like a loser before he got over the line at the USO last year. I think he really did start to wonder if all the naysayers might have been right after all, which must have been incredibly tough to deal with. I mean, it's tough to beat opponents, without having a battle with yourself as well, which I think he did.

I often wonder whether people realise how brave Andy was in taking on Lendl. I don't even mean in terms of Lendl never having coached before. What I mean is that Lendl has been open about why he came on board with Andy. It was to help him win grand slams. However, what would have happened if, even with Lendl, Andy could not get over the line? Andy would probably have had to face the fact that he just wasn't quite good enough. Well now he has demonstrated, to himself and everyone else, that he is every bit good enough to do it, and no one will ever be able to doubt him again. That must be one heck of a pressure off his back.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7294 on: August 22, 2013, 04:25 PM »

I'm glad Ruthie and Michelle both make the point that Andy could have had to play Nadal and Djokovic even if he had stayed at 2. I thought it was me being thick, but if you both say it, it must be right Smile. For me the difference is down other people, not Andy. If Andy had been no.2 it would have been perceived as him playing Djokovic or Nadal. Now, because he's no.3, it's seen as them playing him, potentially.

At the end of the day the draw is what it is. I don't see much point in worrying about it. I doubt Andy is.

Andy is much tougher to beat over five sets than three these days. You also have to remember that Andy was seeded 4th at last year's USO, seeded to meet Federer in the semi's and Djokovic in the final. Only one of those things actually happened, and Andy won anyway.

Draws often don't go the way they are supposed to. Wimbledon should have taught us that. I was thinking last night about who Andy was expected to play at Wimbledon and who he actually played. We all knew he would meet Becker in the first round and suspected it would be Djokovic in the final. Beyond that would any of us have really predicted Andy's opponents being who they turned out to be?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7295 on: August 22, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Good set of points tj.  I've often said to people that I thought Andy was brave in taking on Lendl but hadn't thought of it in quite the way you suggest, though I agree with what you say.  I thought it was brave because he knew he couldn't be boss in quite the same way he was with previous coaches and that when Lendl told him he needed to play more aggressively, he'd have to do it or else Lendl would probably just go back to his golf.  It's as if he needed someone like Lendl to help him do what he knew he needed to do but all his tennis conditioning was stopping him doing it. And absolutely agree about how much more assured and relaxed he now appears in interviews.  And he needs to be as one of the ambassadors of the sport, which is what he now is.

Btw don't take what I say as gospel when it comes to the vagaries of seedings, rankings etc  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7296 on: August 22, 2013, 04:54 PM »

Lendl was a brave and brilliant choice! What Judy says:

Andy’s going into the US Open as defending champion, and he hasn’t experienced that before. There’s so much expectation. It’s your title to defend - and that’s where the huge, huge advantage of having Ivan Lendl in your corner will come in to play.

He’s made a world of difference to Andy and the rest of the team: how to prepare, how to behave in crucial moments, how to deal with it all.  He’s very, very important to Andy at this stage. He helps him to be a whole lot calmer.

Full article at http://sport.bt.com/womeninsport/behind-the-scenes-with-judy-murray-S11363827076048

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7297 on: August 23, 2013, 12:12 AM »

I have vague memories of reading Judy talking about this product a few months ago to someone (on twitter).  It seems to be an investment as much as an endorsement, but I think it's telling that Andy is sticking with the stuff that's associated with the day job.

He has deals with companies that make tennis racquets, and sports clothing.   Even the RBS deal is linked to the Set4Sport scheme, and everyone wears a watch, or how do they know it's their turn to practice?! lol
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7298 on: August 23, 2013, 12:18 AM »

"The athlete partners we have are simply incredible.  Having Andy Murray and Tiger Woods as your two global icons, it just doesn't get any better. We plan to revamp our packaging to now include Andy. Our retail displays will also get an update with Andy and Tiger side-by-side. With this major addition to the Fuse team, we are aggressively pursuing European distribution with a great focus on the United Kingdom.  It has always been a dream of mine to build a rock star team around this revolutionary technology, now we have," added Adler.

Not really surprising that they've chosen Andy then.

I have to say I've never heard of the product.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7299 on: August 23, 2013, 03:23 AM »

This is remarkable, i have never seen Andy looking so refreshed, is it me or does he actually look younger? it's really amazing to see someone who is obviously looking better for having a huge weight lifted from their shoulders.
I'm not being facetious, but maybe it could also be due to him taking the Fuse products?  If they're as effective as the company is claiming, it wouldn't surprise me, and I'm pretty certain Andy wouldn't endorse products he wasn't 100% happy about.  
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7300 on: August 23, 2013, 03:31 AM »

US OPEN: ANDY MURRAY FOCUSSED DESPITE NEW YORK TALK  [Scotsman, 23 August]

By Alix Ramsay

He is the talk of New York and, for the first time in his life he is attempting to defend a grand slam title but Andy Murray is not getting carried away with his own publicity.

The US Open and Wimbledon champion is something of a novelty in the Big Apple (it has been 77 years since Britain could boast a home-grown Wimbledon champion, after all) and the locals are getting over-excited about the prospect of seeing him retain his trophy in Flushing Meadows.

But if he were to achieve that feat, the pundits and the promoters of the US Open did not want to know how it would affect Murray’s career, his ranking or his outlook – all they cared about was whether it would make him bigger news back home than young Prince George.

“I think the future king is slightly bigger,” Murray said with a bashful smile. He knows his place. But as the first man to win a major title in several generations and who is now attempting to defend a major title for the first time in his career, Murray has had to get used to being big news wherever he goes.

“It’s obviously different, it’s a new experience for me,” he said after the US Open draw had been made yesterday. “I’ve never had to deal with that before. This week’s been a little bit busier, a few more demands on my time and whatnot but I’m looking forward to it – I just want the tournament to get started now. I’ve been here since Friday night so I’ve been practising the last few days and I’m looking forward to getting back on court.

“The first week or so after, it didn’t quite feel real. It was something I’d been working towards for a long time; there’d been a lot of pressure on me to do that – not just me but generations beforehand with Tim Henman as well – so I’ve enjoyed my tennis the last few weeks but now it’s time for business. This is a huge tournament for me. I came here the first time when I was 15, I played my first grand slam final here, my first grand slam win was here, I won the juniors when I was 17 so I love this tournament and I’ll try and have a good run.”

His run will begin in the first round against Michael Llodra, the 33-year-old Frenchman he beat in New York back in 2008 and whom he has beaten three times in three meetings. From there he will have to pick a path past Juan Monaco in the third round, Nicolas Almagro in the fourth round and, potentially, Tomas Berdych in the quarter-finals. And Berdych beat him in Cincinnati last week.

Once into the sharp end of the event, Murray will probably have to play Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals and then either Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer in the final. Holding onto that silver trophy will be anything but easy but after all that he has learned and experienced in the past year or so, nothing on a tennis court fazes Murray any more.

“Coming to the US Open last year never having won a grand slam, I didn’t know if I was ever going to win one,” Murray said. “People would say to me, and the players would say in the press, ‘he’s good enough to win a grand slam, he’s going to win one’ but the more finals you lose in, the more you start to doubt yourself and think ‘is it ever going to happen’.

“So, you know, getting that weight off my shoulders at the US Open last year was huge, the Olympics was a very proud moment for me to win Olympic gold at a home Olympics – not many people get the opportunity to do that, so that was great – and then Wimbledon was obviously very, very special for a number of reasons.

“I actually think losing the Wimbledon final in 2012 was very big for me. It changed my career quite a lot. It was the first time I actually felt like I’d played a good match in a grand slam final. I think I approached the match the right way and I responded very well from it. Before when I’d lost in a grand slam final, I’d responded poorly and played badly for two or three months after it but having the Olympics right around the corner after the Wimbledon final was important and I think losing in that Wimbledon final was a turning point in my career.”

From that turning point, Murray has not looked back. And at least this time, he will not have to play Djokovic in the final. Ivan Lendl describes playing the Serb in a final as “like a war” while Murray himself always claims that such matches are both brutal and painful.

Without the pressure of a grand slam title hanging on every rally, playing Djokovic in the semi-finals will still be intense but it will not be quite as gut-wrenchingly nerve racking as the Wimbledon final.

And if Murray were to win here in two weeks’ time, he might surprise himself; he might just be bigger news than young Prince George at least for a day or so.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tennis/us-open-andy-murray-focused-despite-new-york-talk-1-3058980
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7301 on: August 23, 2013, 08:26 AM »

^ '......but now it's time for business!'  yay Luv it Aileen......luv it all! Thanks sweetie!
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7302 on: August 23, 2013, 08:31 AM »

I'm not being facetious, but maybe it could also be due to him taking the Fuse products?  If they're as effective as the company is claiming, it wouldn't surprise me, and I'm pretty certain Andy wouldn't endorse products he wasn't 100% happy about. 

Good points Aileen, and thanks for posting The Scotsman article. An interesting read.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7303 on: August 23, 2013, 02:15 PM »

Great interview with Lendl here

http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen13/story/_/id/9582146/us-open-honesty-only-policy-ivan-lendl-andy-murray
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7304 on: August 23, 2013, 05:00 PM »

thanks for posting dani - really enjoyed reading it
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 486 [487] 488 489 490 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »