Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 491 [492] 493 494 495 ... 754 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 464052 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7365 on: August 27, 2013, 11:31 PM »

Why not both!!!

Via Worcester!!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7366 on: August 27, 2013, 11:41 PM »

Llodra's thoughts on facing Andy

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/27/andy-murray-michael-llodra-us-open
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7367 on: August 27, 2013, 11:45 PM »

There's also a video with this.

http://www.tennis.com/gear/2013/08/gearing-open/48842/#.UhzS3SdzYfR

Gearing Up for the Open
I enjoyed that.  To quote one of the commenters, it's nice to read an interview with a different set of questions for a change.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7368 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/08/26/us-open-2013-andy-murray-king-of-new-york/2698409/

Of all the accolades and honors, Murray says his most cherished moment was seeing his mother, Judy, and his less visible father, William, cheerfully interacting at the post-Wimbledon dinner.

"My parents got divorced when I was younger so they didn't spent a whole lot of time together," he said. "It was just nice to have everyone really happy, just everyone being able to enjoy each other's company, which hasn't always been the case."

Murray, his huge burden lifted, also found a strange place of solace in the hectic days after Wimbledon.

Returning to the All England Club to pick up some items and visit a retiring locker room attendant, Murray made an unplanned stop at Centre Court, where he sat and reflected on his career-changing triumph.

The grass was still there, due to be ripped up and the court re-seeded the next day, but not another soul was present — no groundskeepers, no tourists, no security personnel.

"It was the most peaceful place I could go at the moment," he said.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7369 on: August 28, 2013, 02:21 AM »

Aw - I really love that about his Mum and Dad and I can understand how much it must have meant to him.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7370 on: August 28, 2013, 07:28 AM »

An interesting read! Thanks Dani!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7371 on: August 28, 2013, 07:30 AM »

Aw - I really love that about his Mum and Dad and I can understand how much it must have meant to him.
Yes....I loved that too Aileen and the bit about him sitting alone on Centre Court the following morning, still gives me goosebumps! Thanks Iona!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7372 on: August 28, 2013, 08:15 AM »

Nah - Edinburgh's the capital!

I can do Edinburgh, eithers good for moi.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7373 on: August 28, 2013, 03:04 PM »

By Mark Preston

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Round one concludes and round two begins on Day 3 of the 2013 US Open, as the men’s and women’s defending champions lead a stellar slate of talent into action on the courts of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Andy Murray and Serena Williams headline a day that’s packed with dramatic matches, as the two titleholders are joined by former US Open men’s champs Juan Martin del Potro and Lleyton Hewitt, former women’s titlist Venus Williams, women’s No. 3 seed Agnieszka Radwanska and No. 5 seed Li Na, as well as young Americans Sloane Stephens and Jamie Hampton. Add to that marvelous mix James Blake, the long-time Flushing fan favorite who has announced that this US Open will be the last tournament of his career, and you’ve got a blockbuster bill that begs for a bigger marquee.

Murray scored his major breakthrough here last year, taking his first Grand Slam singles title after four previous appearances on the second Sunday of a Slam. The 26-year-old Scot has continued his ascent since then, this summer becoming the first Brit since Fred Perry in 1936 to claim the men’s crown at Wimbledon. Now, as the reigning US Open, Wimbledon and Olympic champion, Murray is much more of a focused, formidable force, winning four tournament titles this year while compiling a 37-7 record. For a guy who grew up across the pond, Murray feels very much at home here in New York and is a very real threat to win a third major in the place where he won his first. He’ll take his first step Wednesday night against France’s Michael Llodra, a big-serving lefty who’s not shy about coming to the net. But Murray is so precise off the ground that it’s unlikely any forward foray by the Frenchman will do much damage. Murray has beaten Llodra in all three of their career meetings, including a second-round encounter here in 2008. This should be an entertaining match, but in the end, Murray will take the bow. In three, the great Scot advances.

MEN'S FIRST ROUND

No. 3 Andy Murray vs. Michael Llodra

Defending US Open champion Murray was not at his best in either Montreal on Cincinnati, but he was bound to have a post-Wimbledon hangover. Raising the big trophy at home required an amazing fortnight of play under intense pressure. Naturally, it was hard for the Scot to get pumped up quickly when he arrived in North America. Yet his intention all along was to peak for his title defense in New York on his favorite surface. He’s well-rested and is experienced enough now not to need tremendous momentum going into a Slam in order to win the title. In fact, he has been rock solid at the majors as of late, reaching the final of the last four he has competed in. The lefty Llodra is one of the last true serve-and-volleyers on tour and has capable hands at the net, but he is aging, does not have a great serve and can be pushed around from the baseline. He can do major damage when he’s up on top of the twine, but that was very tough against Murray, one of the world’s most effective returners and a guy with terrific passing shots. This contest will be a blast to watch, but Murray won't drop a set.

[ Last edit by The Gnome August 28, 2013, 03:12 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7374 on: August 28, 2013, 03:08 PM »

^That's cheered me up! Thanks Gnome!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7375 on: August 28, 2013, 03:30 PM »

That's lovely, thanks Gnome!

I might warm up for this one (I probably won't watch tonight, will need to record the match) by watching their AO match from last year. I loved that one, it was hugely entertaining.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7376 on: August 28, 2013, 03:47 PM »

Thanks Gnome, as the match starts around midnight UK time, I'll sleep sound after reading that.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7377 on: August 28, 2013, 05:20 PM »

Encouraging article.  Thanks. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7378 on: August 28, 2013, 06:11 PM »

Thanks Gnome, as the match starts around midnight UK time, I'll sleep sound after reading that.
hope I sleep sound but find it difficult to do so when Andy playing.  Given the uncertainty about the weather and that I didn't sleep too well last night I don't think I'll be staying up to watch somehow (there goes my embellished murray mint).
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7379 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44 PM »

Murray's newest endorsement

http://m.espn.go.com/general/tennis/story?storyId=9609830&src=desktop&wjb

When Andy Murray became the first British man to win Wimbledon in 77 years, he reached the height of his endorsement potential. Adidas, which outbid Fred Perry apparel brand to steal Murray, was finally realizing the fruits of its decision to choose Murray over Novak Djokovic. Officials with the Royal Bank of Scotland, which stuck with Murray throughout a review of its sizable sports marketing budget in the economic downturn, must have been thankful the Scot didn't fall through the cracks.

Industry insiders had speculated that Murray was ready to land a big windfall and could pick the blue-chip brands of choice to join adidas, RBS, Rado watches and Head rackets. So when Murray announced last week that his first post-Wimbledon deal was with a penny stock company, many in the sports marketing world let out a big "Huh?"

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 491 [492] 493 494 495 ... 754 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »