Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 493 [494] 495 496 497 ... 721 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 426875 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7395 on: August 31, 2013, 04:40 PM »

yes I liked reading about that queue [USTA schedulers please take note  Rolling Eyes] .  Thought Simon Briggs, like Boogers, could have made rather more of the brilliance of Andy's play in the final set.

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7396 on: August 31, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Are you kidding, Boogers is nothing but doom and gloom I would have thought everyone on MW would be aware of that by now.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7397 on: August 31, 2013, 07:42 PM »

don't you recognise a dig at him when you see it lb?   Whistle   But fair's fair I thought he wrote a decent match report today apart from failure to give sufficient credit to how Andy played in  the final set
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7398 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54 PM »

The best bit about that piece is the description of the queue to see Andy play. In a few short words it describes why Andy was on the wrong court.

If they want someone to volunteer to put the wrecking ball through Armstrong, I'd be delighted to help.

We could do it together Teejay, I would just love to see it go.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7399 on: August 31, 2013, 10:21 PM »

We could do it together Teejay, I would just love to see it go.

Well, they reckon it is going at some stage. I vote for Andy not playing on it again this tourney and then it going in time for next year, but I suppose that might be asking too much Smile.

I'd be more than happy to have help to get rid of it. I'll get the shovels out Smile.
IP Logged
myren
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #7400 on: August 31, 2013, 10:54 PM »

Not sure if anyone as posted about this news article but some interesting comments by Mat Willander about Andy in the Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/10278406/US-Open-2013-seven-time-grand-slam-champion-Mats-Wilander-tips-Andy-Murray-to-retain-US-Open.html
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #7401 on: August 31, 2013, 11:25 PM »

Not sure if anyone as posted about this news article but some interesting comments by Mat Willander about Andy in the Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/10278406/US-Open-2013-seven-time-grand-slam-champion-Mats-Wilander-tips-Andy-Murray-to-retain-US-Open.html
  I'm getting more than a little pissed of with Mr W. Not because of this specific prediction, but that so far over the last week he's tipped Nadal and even Federer as the men to beat. He seems to change his position every time he opens his mouth.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #7402 on: August 31, 2013, 11:30 PM »

I'm getting more than a little pissed of with Mr W. Not because of this specific prediction, but that so far over the last week he's tipped Nadal and even Federer as the men to beat. He seems to change his position every time he opens his mouth.
Truth be told , he's freelance and who pays the fiddler dictates what tune he plays.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #7403 on: August 31, 2013, 11:35 PM »

Truth be told , he's freelance and who pays the fiddler dictates what tune he plays.
  Yes, I get that, but it does devalue his comments when he makes such abrupt and definitive changes in such short order.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7404 on: August 31, 2013, 11:55 PM »

I think Wilander does go with whatever suits him on the day. However, on the special programme 5 Live did after Wimbledon, he said something interesting about Andy that did make sense to me. He made the point that it would be at a major where we would see whether Andy still had enough will to fight now that he's done the main thing he wanted to do in winning SW19. He made the point that there might come a moment, say at the USO, where Andy might have to face the prospect of losing a match and whether he was prepared to fight, or not, would be a good indicator of how many majors Andy might win.

Interestingly, Wilander made the point that when he got to no.1 himself, he wasn't man enough to dig deep and fight for more. He said he didn't believe Andy would settle though, Andy will want more.

That point he made about Andy came back to me when I was watching Andy working his way through Leo Mayer last night. Andy showed, at least to my mind, that he is still well up for the fight.

As for Wilander's prediction, for once I hope he is right.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7405 on: September 01, 2013, 12:34 AM »

Conversations With Andy Murray: Dreaming Up Tennis Venues
By BEN ROTHENBERG

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/conversations-with-andy-murray-dreaming-up-tennis-venues/?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Andy Murray recently toured Madison Square Garden, the site of his coming exhibition match in March against Novak Djokovic, an opponent whom he has faced in three of the last four Grand Slam finals. Although the arena is being renovated, Murray, a boxing fan, said he was excited to see how the court would be laid out, and to visit an arena that had hosted many famous boxing matches.

In his most recent conversation with Straight Sets, Murray discussed what other venues he might like to compete in some day, and how the build-up to tennis matches varies from boxing.

Q. Are there any other arenas or stadiums in the world you’d like to play in some day, even ones that may have never hosted tennis before?

A. I mean, there’s football stadiums I’ve been to where I’ve thought it’s a great atmosphere. But there’s no chance of playing a tennis match there. I went to watch Newcastle play at St James’ Park when I was pretty young, that was a great atmosphere. Hmm, where else have I been that was cool? I’ve been to the Bernabéu; I’ve been to the Camp Nou. I mean I’ve watched loads of big football matches where there’s been great atmospheres, but probably not going to get to play tennis there, unfortunately.

Q. There has been a ton of boxing at Madison Square Garden. And this match you’ll have there against Djokovic is a little bit like boxing, because you’ll have this long advance notice that you two are playing each other, and both your faces are on the posters. Do you wish tennis had more boxing-type hype and build-up for the matches?

A. Yeah, I think that’s one of the things with tennis that’s difficult, because you can play a left-hander in the first round, and then a right-hander in the second round. One of them plays serve-and-volley, the other one doesn’t. You have one practice session of like an hour, maximum, to get ready for each opponent. So it would be interesting to see if, say for example, Roger and Rafa, they weren’t doing anything for four months, but they knew at the end of that four months they were going to play against each other. What sort of adjustments would they make? What things would they work on for those four months? For sure they would play a different match, because they’re going to be playing the same way in practice over and over again, just working on the patterns of play that work specifically against each other.

Q. What about in terms of the other stuff that goes on in boxing, like pre-fight trash talk and bluster? Because tennis doesn’t really have that at all.

A. No, but the thing is as well, a lot of it in boxing is purely that they need to sell the fight. And I know a lot of boxers, and I know a lot of it is just nonsense just to get people talking about it, and to make it like they hate each other. Sometimes they do, but most of the time it’s just to sell the fight, and that’s what they need to do. But yeah, I don’t miss that, I don’t miss it.

Q. Do you think tennis could benefit from any of that? It’s maybe not all the theatre you want, but I remember when you were watching Djokovic-Nadal playing in Montreal and Nadal hit Djokovic with the ball, you tweeted, “This could get tasty now!” Do you feel like tennis could use more edge like that sometimes?

A. No, that’s the sort of things that come out on the court. Like with boxing, once you get on the court it’s the nature of the match, and the person that you’re playing against, that bring out your competitive streak. And whether or not Rafa and Novak trash-talked each other before the match or not, one of them gets hit in the face with a ball, yeah, that’s annoying, and it’s embarrassing a little bit as well, and that’s what gets you fired up. If they talked about it before the match, I don’t think it would make a huge difference. Because after the first 5 or 10 minutes or so you start to calm down. Yeah, trash talking I don’t think makes much difference.

Q. Is there more intensity than we realize? Obviously there’s a lot at stake in these matches, but the general air of friendship seems to obscure that sometimes. Your coach, Ivan Lendl, is a guy who had a lot less friendly rivalries than the ones that are at the top of the game now. Has he spoken to you about how that’s changed, how he sees it now?

A. Yeah, I mean it’s changed a lot, but that’s because the rules are very different now. I mean, McEnroe and Connors got away with murder when they were on the court. They could say whatever they wanted to the umpires and the lines judges, and it was fine. You do that now and you would get kicked off the court and you would be banned from the tour. There’s rules in place now: you can’t do that. You have the challenge system, so you know pretty much about the line calling.

It’s just different, it’s more civil now. Rafa, Novak and Roger — I mean they’re not best friends. Everyone gets on with everyone. But look, I’m sure when everyone finishes playing, they’ll talk and they’ll get on fine. But right now it’s not easy to be best mates.
IP Logged
myren
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #7406 on: September 01, 2013, 02:02 AM »

Holy Smokes!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2407990/US-Open-2013-Novak-Djokovic-recruits-coach-Pope-John-Paul-II.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7407 on: September 01, 2013, 07:33 AM »

Well I don't like MW and I've not read what else he has predicted but I think he's spot on in his assessment of Andy here. And I think that's why Andy himself has now downgraded getting to number 1 as his next goal and is concentrating on the slams because he realises it too.

myren: interesting that it's Andy's success against him that has prompted Nole to make a change in his team.
[ Last edit by Ruthie September 01, 2013, 07:39 AM ] IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: News Articles « Reply #7408 on: September 01, 2013, 08:49 AM »

Whatever next? Maybe the hand of God will help Novak, perhaps?
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: News Articles « Reply #7409 on: September 01, 2013, 09:00 AM »

Well I don't like MW and I've not read what else he has predicted but I think he's spot on in his assessment of Andy here. And I think that's why Andy himself has now downgraded getting to number 1 as his next goal and is concentrating on the slams because he realises it too.

myren: interesting that it's Andy's success against him that has prompted Nole to make a change in his team.
Mats makes some intelligent comments about Andy in that analysis, imo. Intersting are his thoughs on Novak, ie.: monotone style.
Best thing is Mats believes Andy can win again!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 493 [494] 495 496 497 ... 721 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »