Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 497 [498] 499 500 501 ... 754 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 463471 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7455 on: September 07, 2013, 07:20 AM »

Great article but some of the comments makes one realise why the British have such a bad reputation throughout the world when it comes to our lack of support for our great sportsmen.  One loss and they become rubbish.  It makes me ashamed of being British sometimes.  My American son-in-law cannot understand the attitude.  Of course, Andy will be back.  Look what happened after his first loss to Djokovic in Australia.  He dipped but came back stronger.  He has done better than any of the others after winning their first GS.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7456 on: September 07, 2013, 07:32 AM »

Darren Cahill's and Mac's takes on Andy's loss,as told to Kevin Mitchell-both very supportive of Andy Smile

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/sep/06/andy-murray-us-open-exit

Brilliant! Ta!  clap
Should be compulsory reading for all on MW Whistle
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7457 on: September 07, 2013, 08:26 AM »

It says a lot about Andy how business savvy he's becoming....had no idea he'd set up an investment company...love that and love the name change even more!

Out of action but in the money, Andy Murray racks up £10m off court | Scotland | News | Daily Express - http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/scotland/427467/Out-of-action-but-in-the-money-Andy-Murray-racks-up-10m-off-court

The Wimbledon champion has amassed the fortune through a string of lucrative merchandising and sponsorship deals.

The Scots star can console himself with an impressive set of business results after being knocked out of the US Open in the quarter-finals by Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland.

Latest accounts for his company show that it generated £10,013,196, up from £5.8million the previous year, and made a profit of £6,371,811 for 2012.

Last month, Murray changed the name of the company from Parched Investments to 77 Management to mark him becoming the first British male in 77 years to win Wimbledon.

These are very impressive results and show that the Andy Murray brand is riding high. He is in the prime of his career and I would expect the figures to rise

A financial source
The accounts for 2012 show the company had £7,622,924 in the bank and was owed £2,390,272 by debtors. The company also had “tangible assets”, thought to be a property investment portfolio, worth £2.5million but owed nearly £6.4million to creditors.

The firm’s income is mainly made up of merchandising payments, “merchandising bonuses” and appearance fees.

The figures do not include the £19million which Murray has earned in tournament prize money during his career. Murray’s mother, Judy, is the secretary of 77 Management and accountant Neil Grainger is the sole director but world number two Andy controls it.

A financial source said: “These are very impressive results and show that the Andy Murray brand is riding high. He is in the prime of his career and I would expect the figures to rise.”

Murray, originally from Dunblane, Perthshire, has endorsement deals in place with tennis retailer Head, Adidas, watch maker Rado Switzerland and the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Murray shares a £5million mansion in Oxshott, Surrey, with girlfriend Kim Sears.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7458 on: September 07, 2013, 08:27 AM »

Didn't realise that that great article by Kev was on this thread so have also posted on the match report thread - but hey it can't be posted too often coz as bbh says should be compulsory reading!
I fear that Greg might be right though that the back was causing problems also. It doesn't have to be a mental vs physical explanation and indeed if his back has been playing up it could aggravate his mental state.  Andy often doesn't let on until well after the event if he's been struggling with a physical problem.   My one query though is that if he is having problems with his back why on earth would he not pull out of DC?  It would be madness to play on clay -possibly 3 five setters.  And if he is mentally exhausted, better to rest as Mac advises.  I had thought DC might help him refocus and get over the defeat but increasingly I think it is a bad idea.  Can't believe Lendl is very keen on him playing on clay in middle of hard court season.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7459 on: September 07, 2013, 09:49 AM »

I read an article the other day about one of his investments losing him 500k. I think it was due to a planned development of a golf course in Surrey which failed to get permission to build but they had already started to work on it.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7460 on: September 07, 2013, 10:18 AM »

I read an article the other day about one of his investments losing him 500k. I think it was due to a planned development of a golf course in Surrey which failed to get permission to build but they had already started to work on it.

Gnome, this article rubbishes the one you read. http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/10653075._/

I agree with ruthie about DC - but let's just see what pans out.

I just think Andy so so much wants to do well - both for adding Slams and [at some stage] get to No. 1. I think that level of angst he was showing in the match revealed this.
And I think the comments of Cahill & McEnroe & also Greg have been really interesting.
[ Last edit by matchpoint September 07, 2013, 10:25 AM ] IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #7461 on: September 07, 2013, 11:04 AM »

Concerned about the view of McEnroe:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2414517/US-Open-2013-Andy-Murrays-running-Take-break-suffer-burnout-says-John-McEnroe.html

John McEnroe watched Andy Murray fall to Stanislas Wawrinka and recognised an element of something he had tussled with himself: burnout.

The two men are not entirely dissimilar in talent or temperament, so it was telling that McEnroe believes the 26-year-old Scot is still coming to terms with the magnitude of winning Wimbledon.

Murray, who arrived home yesterday for a brief stop before flying to Croatia for the Davis Cup tie which starts on Friday, kept trying to start the engine in his quarter-final but appeared to be running on fumes.McEnroe could recall how difficult it is to summon up at will the kind of resolve needed to fight off an inspired opponent like the Swiss No 2, and believes the solution is a proper break.

‘I think Andy was on such a high that you inevitably come down. After all those years trying to win Wimbledon inevitably there would be a letdown,’ observed the 54-year-old American, who won the US Open four times.

‘There looked to be some mental strain there, a bit of burnout. He has been pretty flat in these American tournaments; I think it’s a mental thing after all that effort.

‘He didn’t have that much time off when he could enjoy it, and he was almost straight back into training. I felt like I was dealing with a lot of pressure when I played Wimbledon, some of it self-inflicted, but it was a lot more for Andy being a home player. The more you win the more you are expected to win, but you can’t win Grand Slams all the time. I played for 15 years and won only seven of them.’

At present Murray has played 49 singles matches in 2013, which is fewer than Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic, but he would not be human if the title at SW19 did not have an effect.
He has certainly not been slacking on the hours of training or begun  a world tour of the circuit’s  nightclubs. It is more that the intensity of approach has been missing, as witnessed on Thursday.

There is, perhaps, a parallel with what happened to Nadal at Wimbledon. After coming back from a long injury the Spaniard put in a massive emotional effort to win at Roland Garros. As it turned out, SW19 came just too soon afterwards to really fire himself up for it.

For Murray, after next week’s three-day match in Umag — where he will probably need to win two singles and the doubles to secure a promotion play-off win for Britain — he has an arduous-looking schedule.

After a week off he is due to play in Bangkok, Tokyo and Shanghai before coming back to Europe for the indoor Masters event in Paris and the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London.

McEnroe believes he would be well advised to cut down his Asia trip.

‘He should take some extra time off after the Davis Cup and try to  finish strong in London at the Tour Finals, then he can start to get ready for the Australian Open. I certainly wouldn’t be too concerned about the next month of tournaments.’

Unfortunately, Murray is not very good at scheduling when he has time off and has a tendency to overtrain when he would be better off refreshing the brain. He had less than two weeks off after Wimbledon, squeezing in a quick break to the Bahamas with girlfriend Kim Sears, before insisting on returning to the grindstone of training at his base in Miami.

Murray’s work ethic and enthusiasm for training can sometimes prove counter-productive, as seen in the clay-court season, when his body could not take what he was asking it to do.

One outcome of Thursday is that Murray will slip further behind  Djokovic and Nadal in the rankings in third place, losing more than half of the 2000 ranking points he gained from this event last year. That will underline the evolving task facing Murray as he tries to add to his two Grand Slam titles.

Djokovic is destined to dog him for his whole career, but the surprise is that Nadal has returned as such a force on hard courts as well as clay.

Today both will be favourites to win their respective semi-finals. Djokovic, who took four sets to beat Mikhail Youzhny, will face world  No 10 Wawrinka, while Nadal faces Richard Gasquet, the gifted Frenchman who has finally come good.

More...
Murray misery: Andy's game falls apart as his title defence ends with a whimper in straight sets loss to Wawrinka
Murray in a hurry... again! Gloomy Andy beats hasty retreat back to London after title defence in the Big Apple turns rotten

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2414517/US-Open-2013-Andy-Murrays-running-Take-break-suffer-burnout-says-John-McEnroe.html#ixzz2eCRxLXNV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7462 on: September 07, 2013, 12:44 PM »

I find mac's interpretation of what happened helpful and sympathetic fp.  I just hope that Andy listens to his body and his mental state and doesn't try to push himself too hard when I'm sure Mac is right that he needs to ease off for a while so as to re-find his zest and drive.  One of the good things in the past year or so has been the sense that Andy is really enjoying his tennis again; that's not how it appeared on Thursday.  I'm sure he'll bounce back soon enough provided he allows himself the rest he needs.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7463 on: September 07, 2013, 01:03 PM »

No wonder he's exhausted - all he ever heard was when will you win a slam - so he does , no respite - when will you win Wimbledon - again, he does, again no respite - when will you be world no 1, go on a slam winning streak. He must feel he never satisfies anyone, no matter what he does people are demandng more - instantly. Give the guy a break! As mentioned before, interesting that those who actually have some knowledge of the sport are in no way surprised. I didn't spot Lendl reaching down to Andy as he left court but doesn't surprise me, there's a very caring heart behind that stony facade, he would know how much that hurt - and kinda suggests he wasn't overly surprised either.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7464 on: September 07, 2013, 02:05 PM »

Super article from Jon McEnroe & Cahill. I also found Simon Briggs Telegraph Online article the day after Andy's match very fair comment, especially as Andy himself recognised that it was mental exhaustion which caused his inability to fight back. Other articles were added later in the day and in the newspaper itself another excellent article appeared. There doesn't seem to be too much Murray-bashing going on after this loss - or perhaps I haven't read the right articles!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7465 on: September 07, 2013, 02:10 PM »

There doesn't seem to be too much Murray-bashing going on after this loss - or perhaps I haven't read the right articles!

Just on here!  Whistle
 You are right re the news articles in press -measured, sympathetic and realistically understanding the pressures at the top of sport. Imagine if Mo Farah or Jess Ennis had been expected to repeat their Olympic triumphs six weeks later!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7466 on: September 07, 2013, 03:37 PM »

All I know is that from experience, physical issues are symptomatic of mental issues, if he's mentally shattered then his body will break down because of it, I think once he calms his mind down he will again start to feel better physically.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7467 on: September 07, 2013, 04:23 PM »

Just on here!  Whistle
 You are right re the news articles in press -measured, sympathetic and realistically understanding the pressures at the top of sport. Imagine if Mo Farah or Jess Ennis had been expected to repeat their Olympic triumphs six weeks later!

What is interesting to me is just how quiet the press have been on the subject of Bradley W + Jess EH post Olympic slump. They have both been injured and have achieved virtually nothing since the Olympics. That's not a dig at either of of them BTW. Murray is not the only one to have had a slump. Murray just had to defer his until he had taken care of getting his first GS and delivering the Wimbledon trophy to a desperate nation.

I hope he does play Davies Cup. He needs to get back on the horse/court ASAP. I think that time spent as part of a team among his own kind will do him a lot of good. Then the daft lad needs a decent break.  IMHO
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7468 on: September 07, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Just on here!  Whistle
I'd just been thinking ww in what other sport are you expected to achieve another pinnacle only a couple of months after the last one?  I think it's a measure of Andy's new status that he is receiving such a sympathetic response (other than from some minor American comms perhaps).
Jan no you are reading the right articles!!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7469 on: September 07, 2013, 04:56 PM »

I hope he does play Davies Cup. He needs to get back on the horse/court ASAP. I think that time spent as part of a team among his own kind will do him a lot of good. Then the daft lad needs a decent break.  IMHO

Me too - the tennis is immaterial, I want him to enjoy the laughter and friendship he gets from being part of a team, it will put the fun back into his tennis
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 497 [498] 499 500 501 ... 754 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »