Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 498 [499] 500 501 502 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 466700 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7470 on: September 07, 2013, 11:17 PM »

Why Andy Murray must take time out to enjoy his achievements following US Open defeat
 7 Sep 2013 16:19

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-must-take-time-2258517

Will Ralston reflects on a disappointing tournament for the Brit, insisting he must rest up ahead of his next challenge

The Arthur Ashe Stadium has seen a succession of one-sided matches in this year’s U.S Open Championships, but I doubt anybody could have foreseen that Thursday’s quarter final would have been another. This was not so much the loss of a US Open title but complete surrender from Andy Murray as he gave it away with barely a fight.

The easy explanation is Warwinka - make no mistake, he was absolutely superb. He had the U.S Open defending champion in knots all afternoon. He hit three times as many winners as Murray and never faced a break point throughotut the course of the three sets.

But as good as the Swiss was, Murray was equally poor. The Scot is no quitter and while we all waited for the notorious fightback in the third, it just never came. This was simply not a performance we were accustomed to witnessing.

Murray’s post-match assessment was to the point and honest. He had chosen the wrong time to play ‘a bad match,’ he said, adding: ‘If I am meant to win every Grand Slam I play or be in the final...it’s just very, very difficult now.’ While true as that may be, I think the problem runs far deeper.

What Murray has achieved in the last year has been remarkable. It had been a long, hard summer and it had come on the back of a long, hard year. Before Flushing Meadows, he had reached the final of the last four Grand Slam tournaments he had entered and won two of them along with the Olympic Gold medal. He had also ended Britain’s 77-year wait for a Wimbledon champion, surviving two weeks of unbearable pressure - the sort of pressure his compatriots can only imagine.

His Wimbledon win is part of tennis folklore and as the Scot stood there, trophy aloft on a packed out Centre Court, he will have known that whatever else happened in his career, he was now part of history. Never again would the phrase ‘Not since Fred Perry..‘ be used in British tennis. He had shaken free 77 years of unwanted history, removed the dark shadow from over the All England Club and finally ditched that monkey from his back.

But after such a high, there is inevitably a low. The Murray at Flushing Meadows this week has been a shadow of his former self. Murray was simply exhausted, both mentally and physically. It is not that he does not still have the ambition - far from it - but after working so hard, after sacrificing so much and after achieving a life’s dream, returning to the tennis court to start all over again will have been one of the hardest challenges the Scot will have faced - and unfortunately against a top quality opponent on Thursday night the evidence was there for all to see.

It is no wonder that he has struggled to find motivation in practice in Wimbledon or that he could not fire himself up in New York. He has acheived all could ever have hoped to achieve in tennis at this point last year. It has been a very emotional 18 months and I question whether he has taken to time to digest his achievements. He took few weeks holiday after Wimbledon but that simply does not suffice when the demands of the game are so notoriously high.

But what next for the Scot? Where does he go from here? The answer is rest and relaxation. Currently he is scheduled to play for Great Britain against Croatia in the Davis Cup next week, with his next tournament scheduled to be the Thailand Open in Bangkok from 23rd September. For me - this must change.

Time is his friend at the moment. It is imperative that the take some space to enjoy his achievements - he must reset his body, reset his mind and refresh his soul. He is clearly very weary after the events of the past 12 months and is wondering, ‘What next?.’ He needs to sit down with his team, evaluate his goals and return to the court with the fires burning once again. Hopefully, then, he will refind his form. Hopefully, then, he will refind that motivation and hopefully, then, the real Andy Murray will return to our courts.

IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7471 on: September 07, 2013, 11:32 PM »

Thanks for posting that Gnome. I think that was a very down to earth, empathetic, kind and realistic appraisal of the situation, rather than the doom laden one in the Times today.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7472 on: September 07, 2013, 11:35 PM »

Playing Davis Cup gets more and more bonkers the more I think about it.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7473 on: September 07, 2013, 11:36 PM »

Everyone has advice for Andy on what to do next so I'll add my twopence worth.    Play Davis Cup - careful with the back - but refresh the mind - skip the Asian swing and come home to Dunblane for a hero's welcome - go to a party in Stirling Castle - see all your family up here - feed off the love and support there is for you - then you'll be ready to take them all on.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7474 on: September 07, 2013, 11:53 PM »

Everyone has advice for Andy on what to do next so I'll add my twopence worth.    Play Davis Cup - careful with the back - but refresh the mind - skip the Asian swing and come home to Dunblane for a hero's welcome - go to a party in Stirling Castle - see all your family up here - feed off the love and support there is for you - then you'll be ready to take them all on.
As good a plan as any!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7475 on: September 07, 2013, 11:54 PM »

Now I sure as hell like the sound of that plan Wink
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7476 on: September 08, 2013, 01:22 AM »

I'd only add that it would be nice to see him pick up his OBE. The Queen is still in Scotland so he could do it. I love your plan though. Andy needs to enjoy what he achieved this year.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7477 on: September 08, 2013, 01:52 AM »

Yeah great idea and fall to number 5 and be seeded 5 for Australia and have Nadal in the QF wonderful.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7478 on: September 08, 2013, 06:58 AM »

Thanks for the article.  It was so true and unusually sympathetic.  I have noticed how different the attitude of the press has been since Wimbledon.  Maybe Andy can now have the normal pressures that all the top players have.  I am sure he will come back refreshed and I do think to play Davis Cup will be good for him as he will be part of a team and an individual.  I am not sure who is playing for Croatia but it should not be too difficult.  I presume the ban on Cilic also pertains to Davis Cup?
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7479 on: September 08, 2013, 11:28 AM »

I agree, but he can prepare for the WTF and win it his ranking would go up, and it would be another major in 2013.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7480 on: September 08, 2013, 11:40 AM »

Cilic hasn't been named for their Davis Cup team, nor Karlovic (he's opting not to play), so GB has a great chance.

Andy definitely needs to play here.  The change of surface is obviously a pain, but I think it'll do him good to get back on the tennis horse, representing his country.  A bit like the Olympics after Wimbledon 2012.

Without an obvious injury, it would be a PR disaster to not play when the team as a whole is on the up, with a good chance of wining, and Evans is shaping up as a potentially credible #2, and strong doubles players.  The sensible press has been unusually sensible, but I think that's based on goodwill earned from winning gold and two slams.  Those are the sort of achievement that can make you fairly teflon, but these things can wear off, especially when you are still an active player and there are column inches to fill.

I can't see Andy wanting any kind of "home-coming" this year.  He said he'd love to get home at some time, but I think he meant to see family and friends, not anything public.  He's just not that sort of person.  Last year was fine because so many Olympic athletes had local parades on top of the national ones, which Andy missed.   When time permits, I can see him taking his replica trophies to the Dunblane tennis club, possibly when Jamie is available to take his too.  That would be a great photo for the wall. Smile
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7481 on: September 08, 2013, 11:41 AM »

Cilic hasn't been named for their Davis Cup team, nor Karlovic (he's opting not to play), so GB has a great chance.

Andy definitely needs to play here.  The change of surface is obviously a pain, but I think it'll do him good to get back on the tennis horse, representing his country.  A bit like the Olympics after Wimbledon 2012.

Without an obvious injury, it would be a PR disaster to not play when the team as a whole is on the up, with a good chance of wining, and Evans is shaping up as a potentially credible #2, and strong doubles players.  The sensible press has been unusually sensible, but I think that's based on goodwill earned from winning gold and two slams.  Those are the sort of achievement that can make you fairly teflon, but these things can wear off, especially when you are still an active player and there are column inches to fill.

I can't see Andy wanting any kind of "home-coming" this year.  He said he'd love to get home at some time, but I think he meant to see family and friends, not anything public.  He's just not that sort of person.  Last year was fine because so many Olympic athletes had local parades on top of the national ones, which Andy missed.   When time permits, I can see him taking his replica trophies to the Dunblane tennis club, possibly when Jamie is available to take his too.  That would be a great photo for the wall. Smile

Cilic is on a year long suspension due to doping (too much glucose I think).
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7482 on: September 08, 2013, 11:48 AM »

Sorry, I realise my post looks a bit like a random statement.  I was replying to tamila asking if the rumoured ban would still be in force for the Davis Cup, but should have quoted to make that clearer.

As far as I can tell, his ban is not yet official, because he's not had his hearing yet.   What we do know and is official is that he's not going to be playing, regardless of the reason.

I think it was dodgy glucose tablets, rather than glucose itself.  Glucose is in loads of foods and isn't a banned substance.   
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7483 on: September 08, 2013, 11:50 AM »

Sorry, I realise my post looks a bit like a random statement.  I was replying to tamila asking if the rumoured ban would still be in force for the Davis Cup, but should have quoted to make that clearer.

As far as I can tell, his ban is not yet official, because he's not had his hearing yet.   What we do know and is official is that he's not going to be playing, regardless of the reason.

I think it was dodgy glucose tablets, rather than glucose itself.  Glucose is in loads of foods and isn't a banned substance.   

Oh ok, my apologies Sparkle. Smile I saw a report on it somewhere last week and I thought that might have been confirmation, but now you mention that he hasn't had his hearing it may have just been a bit of journalistic speculation.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7484 on: September 08, 2013, 12:19 PM »

I think it's one of those things everyone knows about, so it feels official.  The ATP keep getting asked about it, and keep repeating that they don't comment on cases until after a formal decision has been made, which is why I don't think there has been anything formal.  Then again, loads of mainstream newspapers have been reporting it, and Cilic hasn't sued, so it's more than rumour.  I suspect the early reports of a three month ban were a mix of wishful thinking and a PR exercise.

I must admit, I'd have thought they'd have got a proper decision by now, but perhaps the lawyers are trying to negotiate the length of the ban.  Apparently, Cilic did admit to the violation (albeit in error), and if that's the case, it should simplify the process.  No questioning the legitimacy of the lab work etc.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 498 [499] 500 501 502 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »