Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 2 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 499 [500] 501 502 503 ... 741 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 447353 times)
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7485 on: September 08, 2013, 01:30 PM »

Only British people on this forum suggest to play Davis Cup (clay?!)  and NOT the Asian Swing.....with the argument he needs rest Smile !

For me it's not sure that rest is the best way to cope with this situation. We doesn't know what is going on. A burn out is possible, but we don't know...We don't need the burn out theory to justify this loss, I'm convinced that Andy couldn't play better, he didn't want this.....
[ Last edit by flowerpower September 08, 2013, 01:47 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7486 on: September 08, 2013, 01:35 PM »

Everyone has advice for Andy on what to do next so I'll add my twopence worth.    Play Davis Cup - careful with the back - but refresh the mind - skip the Asian swing and come home to Dunblane for a hero's welcome - go to a party in Stirling Castle - see all your family up here - feed off the love and support there is for you - then you'll be ready to take them all on.

I can't see Andy skipping the whole Asian swing. He has points he probably won't want to lose if possible.

My own opinion, based on nothing, is that he will play DC, which I'm in two minds about. I can see the potential problems, but I can see the potential benefits. It's just a case of whether the benefits outweigh the problems. They just might.

After that I wonder if Andy will knock Japan, and is it Bangkok, on the head? I suspect he will play the former and might not play the latter, but he could either skip or play both. Personally I would skip at least one, but I'm not Andy.

I think his main focus will be Shanghai, which is a Masters, and then the WTF really.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7487 on: September 08, 2013, 01:52 PM »

Cilic hasn't been named for their Davis Cup team, nor Karlovic (he's opting not to play), so GB has a great chance.

Andy definitely needs to play here.  The change of surface is obviously a pain, but I think it'll do him good to get back on the tennis horse, representing his country.  A bit like the Olympics after Wimbledon 2012.

Without an obvious injury, it would be a PR disaster to not play when the team as a whole is on the up, with a good chance of wining, and Evans is shaping up as a potentially credible #2, and strong doubles players.  The sensible press has been unusually sensible, but I think that's based on goodwill earned from winning gold and two slams.  Those are the sort of achievement that can make you fairly teflon, but these things can wear off, especially when you are still an active player and there are column inches to fill.

I can't see Andy wanting any kind of "home-coming" this year.  He said he'd love to get home at some time, but I think he meant to see family and friends, not anything public.  He's just not that sort of person.  Last year was fine because so many Olympic athletes had local parades on top of the national ones, which Andy missed.   When time permits, I can see him taking his replica trophies to the Dunblane tennis club, possibly when Jamie is available to take his too.  That would be a great photo for the wall. Smile

The party at Stirling Castle a bit too official perhaps but a trip to Dunblane would do him good.    The people of Dunblane ARE his friends and he has spoken about their support for him through thick and thin.    He does need a break.   
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7488 on: September 08, 2013, 01:56 PM »

I can't see Andy skipping the whole Asian swing. He has points he probably won't want to lose if possible.

My own opinion, based on nothing, is that he will play DC, which I'm in two minds about. I can see the potential problems, but I can see the potential benefits. It's just a case of whether the benefits outweigh the problems. They just might.

After that I wonder if Andy will knock Japan, and is it Bangkok, on the head? I suspect he will play the former and might not play the latter, but he could either skip or play both. Personally I would skip at least one, but I'm not Andy.

I think his main focus will be Shanghai, which is a Masters, and then the WTF really.

Maybe a part of it then.    I enjoy the Asian swing because he tends to play well there, but to me the main focus should be what's best for Andy, not trophies or points.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7489 on: September 08, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Only British people on this forum suggest to play Davis Cup (clay?!)  and NOT the Asian Swing.....with the argument he needs rest Smile !

For me it's not sure that rest is the best way to cope with this situation. We doesn't know what is going on. A burn out is possible, but we don't know...We don't need the burn out theory to justify this loss, I'm convinced that Andy couldn't play better, he didn't want this.....
I'm not suggesting he doesn't play the Asian swing, but I definitely think he should play the Davis Cup if he's not injured.

Andy has had good press lately, and it's possible that the swing in the past year from being subject to quite a lot of unfair hate, to being a high profile national treasure is over-whelming, but he doesn't need them turning against him again.  Playing Davis Cup brings Andy a lot of goodwill, whereas not playing it brings a lot of bitchiness.    While I believe Andy when he says he doesn't intend to change just to make people like him, I do think he'd rather people did like him.

I also think it would bring a lot of personal satisfaction if Andy helps the team to promotion, while he'd feel bad if his absence meant they lost.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7490 on: September 08, 2013, 02:56 PM »

I think it's one of those things everyone knows about, so it feels official.  The ATP keep getting asked about it, and keep repeating that they don't comment on cases until after a formal decision has been made, which is why I don't think there has been anything formal.  Then again, loads of mainstream newspapers have been reporting it, and Cilic hasn't sued, so it's more than rumour.  I suspect the early reports of a three month ban were a mix of wishful thinking and a PR exercise.

I must admit, I'd have thought they'd have got a proper decision by now, but perhaps the lawyers are trying to negotiate the length of the ban.  Apparently, Cilic did admit to the violation (albeit in error), and if that's the case, it should simplify the process.  No questioning the legitimacy of the lab work etc.

Don't want to this to turn into another doping discussion/argument, but there was an article last week that said:

"At the U.S. Open this week, several players confirmed what is widely suspected: That Cilic has voluntarily removed himself from competition while his appeal process is heard. A few said they would probably do the same".

Apparently he could keep playing, but has decided not to

I'll post the link in the doping thread
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7491 on: September 08, 2013, 04:39 PM »

Maybe a part of it then.    I enjoy the Asian swing because he tends to play well there, but to me the main focus should be what's best for Andy, not trophies or points.
And if it meant Andy seeded 5th for the Australian open with Nadal in the QF. Andy should NOT skip anything unless injured.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7492 on: September 08, 2013, 04:57 PM »

And if it meant Andy seeded 5th for the Australian open with Nadal in the QF. Andy should NOT skip anything unless injured.

You mean physical injury?
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7493 on: September 08, 2013, 05:35 PM »

Don't want to this to turn into another doping discussion/argument, but there was an article last week that said:

"At the U.S. Open this week, several players confirmed what is widely suspected: That Cilic has voluntarily removed himself from competition while his appeal process is heard. A few said they would probably do the same".

Apparently he could keep playing, but has decided not to

I'll post the link in the doping thread

Exactly, nothing official yet on what sort of ban he'll be facing.  We just know for definite he's not on the Davis Cup team.
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7494 on: September 08, 2013, 06:26 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2415124/Andy-Murray-bounce-Davis-Cup-warns-Dan-Evans.html

Don't know if anyone has posted this already but I liked this quote from Dan Evans

‘Andy will be very tough to beat in Croatia after what’s happened,’ said Evans. ‘You’ll see.’
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7495 on: September 08, 2013, 06:35 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2415124/Andy-Murray-bounce-Davis-Cup-warns-Dan-Evans.html

Don't know if anyone has posted this already but I liked this quote from Dan Evans

‘Andy will be very tough to beat in Croatia after what’s happened,’ said Evans. ‘You’ll see.’

Encouraging article  thumb up
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7496 on: September 08, 2013, 06:41 PM »

I like Dan Evans. I think he's a real breath of fresh air. Andy was very supportive and encouraging of him in New York. It's great to see him do the same now for Andy. I love the respect he shows Andy in this. Lovely stuff.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7497 on: September 08, 2013, 09:38 PM »

That was a nice article. I'm pretty confident Andy will play - though if the tie is decided before sunday I doubt he'd play a dead rubber as it's not in the UK. The fun of being in a team will be almost like a rest in Andy's world. I think he should play one of his pre shanghai events then Shanghai, (he has to play masters and don't want him unprepared)take Paris as it comes  then enjoy hopefully a heroes welcome at the 02 as Wimbledon champ (well, there are a fair few of us MurraysWorlders going so he is assured of a cheer squad).
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7498 on: September 09, 2013, 01:22 AM »

Andy should go all out for the rest of the season. Try and win everything.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7499 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23 AM »

Andy should go all out for the rest of the season. Try and win everything.

Well said Rob. I agree.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 499 [500] 501 502 503 ... 741 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »