Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 508 [509] 510 511 512 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 470151 times)
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7620 on: September 20, 2013, 08:53 AM »

Get well and come back like Rafa!

No pressure then. Though Nadal didn't have surgery when he was out. Which makes the comparison even less relevant.

Wishing Andy all the best for a successful outcome.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7621 on: September 20, 2013, 12:01 PM »

Yes have the surgery Andy you could not have continued to play without any further damage to your back. We on MW hope your operation is a success and you will play again when you are fully fit. We will miss you and hope to see you at the Australian Open next year, were we will all be cheering you on.
IP Logged
meglisse

Re: News Articles « Reply #7622 on: September 20, 2013, 02:12 PM »

"Jamie Baker, Murray's friend and former Davis Cup team-mate, said: "Andy does have a knack of always looking in pain, but this is something he feels is the right thing to do and we have to trust him.

"We can't underestimate how tough emotionally the last 12 months has been, so it's understandable if he's a little bit burned out, and this break will give him the best chance of picking up more major titles next year."

The above quote is from the BBC news article about Murray's forthcoming surgery. Is this the start of a new brigade of press doubting Andy? Or is Baker so very stupid that he doesn't know the difference between a neurological and a psychiatric problem?  Whatever, he appears not only to have a big mouth, but an ignorant one to boot. I am definitely NOT going to be a fan of this fledgling commentator.  Here's wishing a successful outcome  and a speedy recovery for Mr Murray following his keyhole surgery, presumably for a microdiscectomy.  A gutsy lad indeed playing for so long with such a problem. This quote from Baker was pointed out to me by a non tennis fan, but someone who is decidedly more qualified than Baker to draw conclusions from the information available, and he was outraged by Baker's comment.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7623 on: September 20, 2013, 02:51 PM »

http://sport.bt.com/womeninsport/judy-murray-andy-always-comes-back-stronger-S11363834647093
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7624 on: September 20, 2013, 03:19 PM »

"Jamie Baker, Murray's friend and former Davis Cup team-mate, said: "Andy does have a knack of always looking in pain, but this is something he feels is the right thing to do and we have to trust him.

"We can't underestimate how tough emotionally the last 12 months has been, so it's understandable if he's a little bit burned out, and this break will give him the best chance of picking up more major titles next year."

The above quote is from the BBC news article about Murray's forthcoming surgery. Is this the start of a new brigade of press doubting Andy? Or is Baker so very stupid that he doesn't know the difference between a neurological and a psychiatric problem?  Whatever, he appears not only to have a big mouth, but an ignorant one to boot. I am definitely NOT going to be a fan of this fledgling commentator.  Here's wishing a successful outcome  and a speedy recovery for Mr Murray following his keyhole surgery, presumably for a microdiscectomy.  A gutsy lad indeed playing for so long with such a problem. This quote from Baker was pointed out to me by a non tennis fan, but someone who is decidedly more qualified than Baker to draw conclusions from the information available, and he was outraged by Baker's comment.

I also thought that was a very strange comment from Jamie who is one of Andy's oldest friends.  It certainly was less than helpful and could certainly be misconstrued by Andy detractors.  A great pity that the BBC decided to publish it - I am sure Jamie did not mean the comment to be derogatory in the way that it appears. 
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7625 on: September 20, 2013, 03:23 PM »

Loved it! Always great to hear from Judy Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7626 on: September 20, 2013, 03:44 PM »

I love Judy, she has a way of cheering me up without even trying, bless her.

I'm sure she must be concerned for Andy, but I like the way that she mentions his surgery in this in such a relaxed way, no fuss, no stress, no bother.

Brilliant woman!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7627 on: September 20, 2013, 03:58 PM »

I also thought that was a very strange comment from Jamie who is one of Andy's oldest friends.  It certainly was less than helpful and could certainly be misconstrued by Andy detractors.  A great pity that the BBC decided to publish it - I am sure Jamie did not mean the comment to be derogatory in the way that it appears. 

The problem with what Jamie Baker appears to have said is that it reads like the sort of negativity Andy had to put up with last year. That sort of 'Oh, Andy always looks like that, he's always holding this bit or that bit', type of thing. I doubt Jamie meant it like that, but still. It's ammunition for Andy's detractors.

I actually can't quite make sense of what he is saying, so I wonder if his comment has been edited out of context. I mean, is he saying that Andy is making a lot out of his back injury, or is he saying Andy needs a rest and the surgery is merely an excuse? Frankly it reads like he is saying both, but that's ridiculous. I mean really, only a total nutter is going to choose to have back surgery because they need a rest, and Andy may be many things, but a total nutter he is most definitely not.

Jamie was part of the team on Eurosport for the DC tie and to be fair he spoke in glowing terms about the way Andy played last weekend, especially in the dubs and against Dodig, but it's a bit of a shame if he's opened his mouth without thinking.

Jamie was part of the team covering the DC tie for Eurosport last weekend. After the tie, when Jamie was being interviewed by Crofty, Andy pinched Jamie's bum.....Twice!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7628 on: September 20, 2013, 06:38 PM »

I would love to see Judy on Strictly!  Can we start a campaign for her!
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7629 on: September 20, 2013, 07:32 PM »

That was a great article by Judy.  Thanks for posting the link.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7630 on: September 20, 2013, 08:13 PM »

Loved it! Always great to hear from Judy Smile
Really enjoyed the article, thanks for posting it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7631 on: September 20, 2013, 08:38 PM »

I agree Alis.  Jamie comes across as a decent young man who I'm sure would never voluntarily make a comment like that about a close friend, but if he's been quoted correctly it could be very detrimental to their friendship.

I think it's just possible though that "Andy does have a knack of always looking in pain" might have been said in a jesting manner, in which case it's a good example of how the spoken word can be misinterpreted in cold print - something Andy found to his cost with his 'anyone but England' remark.

I also agree with TJ@03:58pm that what Jamie says in the second sentence is ambiguous and liable to be pounced on in a negative way by Andy's detractors, especially those who thought that his back problem was an excuse for skipping RG so that he would have plenty of time to prepare for Wimbledon.

If Jamie is going to be commentator he really would be well advised to attend lessons on public speaking so as to avoid as far as possible gaffes like this.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #7632 on: September 20, 2013, 09:29 PM »

Read Jamie's article and never read anything untoward .......my god, some  people can look into every nuance of the written word and turn it into whatever their little minds decree.....get a life I say.
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: News Articles « Reply #7633 on: September 21, 2013, 12:37 PM »

I would love to see Judy on Strictly!  Can we start a campaign for her!

I was reading somewhere, that the BBC are  finding it hard to get celebrity's to take part in SCD so perhaps we might see Judy in the show next year.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7634 on: September 21, 2013, 03:25 PM »

Andy Murray will return from injury to win Wimbledon again, says Tim Henman

EXCLUSIVE: Tim Henman has backed Andy Murray to bounce back from injury and retain his Wimbledon title next year.

Murray’s season is all but over after he announced this week that he’ll undergo back surgery in the coming days on a long-standing problem.

But while going under the knife will likely affect his form and confidence, former British number one Henman believes Murray will win again at SW19 next year.

‘If you win Wimbledon once you can win it again,’ said Henman

‘It’s a phenomenal achievement to win it. I’ve always said throughout his whole career he won’t just win one slam, he’ll win many slams.

‘Fingers crossed he’ll bounce back from his injury and win again at Wimbledon.’

However, after having surgery on his shoulder in the past, Henman knows all about the complexities involved and says Murray will have to work hard to return.

‘This back problem had been bothering him for a long time but it must be really bothering him to have surgery,’ he continued.

‘However minor the surgery it affects you and take time to come back but if he’s patient he’ll be back to his best soon.’
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 508 [509] 510 511 512 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »