Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 523 [524] 525 526 527 ... 711 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 407563 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7845 on: October 08, 2013, 06:49 PM »

According to someone on twitter, Andy's at some VIP event in Edinburgh this evening with Princess Anne and his dad.  Doubt it's the same thing, as Princess Anne is a very hard working royal, but according to the tv news, Princess Anne was at the opening of the JK Rowling MS Centre in Edinburgh.

Just found out, she's at some do at Edinburgh University this evening.

There's also this.....

Tennis Scotland ‏@tennisscotland 42m
@judmoo being honoured by the @UniofEdinburgh with an Honorary Degree this evening at the McEwan Hall pic.twitter.com/1AQBJsK3sG
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7846 on: October 08, 2013, 06:54 PM »

According to someone on twitter, Andy's at some VIP event in Edinburgh this evening with Princess Anne and his dad.  Doubt it's the same thing, as Princess Anne is a very hard working royal, but according to the tv news, Princess Anne was at the opening of the JK Rowling MS Centre in Edinburgh.

Murray and Rowling in the same sentence, Gangsta heaven! :P
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7847 on: October 08, 2013, 06:57 PM »

There's also this.....

Tennis Scotland ‏@tennisscotland 42m
@judmoo being honoured by the @UniofEdinburgh with an Honorary Degree this evening at the McEwan Hall pic.twitter.com/1AQBJsK3sG

Well spotted.  Smile
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7848 on: October 08, 2013, 08:16 PM »

isnt Judy out of the country. Maybe Andy is collecting it on her behalf.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7849 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27 PM »

No,there was a pic put up on twitter of her collecting it herself Smile

Tennis Scotland ‏@tennisscotland
@judmoo being honoured by the @UniofEdinburgh with an Honorary Degree this evening at the McEwan Hall

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7850 on: October 08, 2013, 10:50 PM »

They certainly do take their time. Fred Perry's statue took 50 years!
Yes, but you have to remember that Fred was sneered at by the establishment, which included the Wimbledon powers that be, who saw him as a 'commoner' who really had no right to be there let alone win the trophy three times.

Hmm - I wonder who the tweeter was.  It won't be the first time it's been a case of mistaken identity, or misinformation, where Andy's concerned.

No,there was a pic put up on twitter of her collecting it herself Smile

Tennis Scotland ‏@tennisscotland
@judmoo being honoured by the @UniofEdinburgh with an Honorary Degree this evening at the McEwan Hall

Maybe the tweeter was right after all because Andy wouldn't want to miss this occasion, and he could always go on to Dunblane from there, especially as no doubt there might be a small family celebration after the ceremony.   Shame I didn't know about this because the McEwan Hall isn't far from where I live, so I might done a little bit of lurking. secret service agent Very Happy
[ Last edit by Aileen October 08, 2013, 10:58 PM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7851 on: October 08, 2013, 11:06 PM »

It is possible they were misinformed, but there's definitely something in what they said, because I've not seen any mention of Andy being at any events, but a few people saying they spotted Judy and Princess Anne at the graduation.  Steve Redgrave was there too.  You'd expect someone to mention spotting him.

Then again, it could be that Andy wasn't at the actual ceremony, and was at the function afterwards, and everyone invited to that is more discrete.  The original tweeter described it as "a VIP" they're working at, which sounds more like a function than ceremony.   Or maybe Andy was optimistically invited.  You would, wouldn't you? lol
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7852 on: October 08, 2013, 11:29 PM »

http://m.espn.go.com/general/tennis/story?storyId=9791388&src=desktop

How much is Andy Murray missed?

Sandra Harwitt [ARCHIVE]

Special to ESPN.com | October 8, 2013
SHANGHAI -- You usually can't help noticing the void the absence of a top player leaves.

Take for instance Rafael Nadal, who sat out the entire second half of 2012 to mend his menacingly achy knees. No matter where you were, the Spaniard became the seminal topic of conversation at times: How are his knees? When will he return? Will he be as good as ever?

"My position last year in that moment was a position that I didn't know when I have the chance to be back," said Nadal, addressing the difference a year makes during his prematch news conference at the Shanghai Rolex Masters on Tuesday. "I didn't have the surgery. I just tried to do different regimens."

Julian Finney/Getty Images
Andy Murray hopes to be ready for the Aussie Open in January.
Of course, we had the answer to that question almost immediately upon Nadal's return in February. He was not just as good as ever, he was better than before. Although Nadal lost in last week's Beijing final to Novak Djokovic, he reclaimed the No. 1 ranking after putting forth one of his best seasons, which included victories at the French and US Opens and eight other titles.
On Monday afternoon, we glimpsed how much Shanghai fans missed Nadal last year when teenaged fans, much to the chagrin of hotel security guards, managed to get into the lobby of the Shanghai establishment where the world No. 1 is ensconced. A security detail tried to restrain the kids, but Nadal warmly greeted the youngsters, signed some autographs and posed for a few pictures.

Although Nadal has returned to reigning over the tour, Andy Murray, a former two-time Shanghai Rolex Masters champion (2010 and 2011) and reigning Wimbledon champion, is currently on an injury timeout. A chronic back problem resurfaced in the spring, keeping Murray from playing in the French Open. The rest enabled him to return to the court to win the grandest of prizes -- Wimbledon -- becoming the first British man since 1936 to succeed on the great lawn at the All England Club.

But his bad back became a bother again by the US Open, leaving the defending champion on the outside looking in after a quarterfinal loss. Murray went on to help Britain defeat Croatia to earn a spot in the 2014 Davis Cup World Group, but from there, he went straight under the knife in attempt to alleviate a disc problem in his lower back.

But how much is Murray missed?

One difference between Nadal and Murray is that the Spaniard released almost no information as he nursed his knees back to health for seven months, leaving more than a little intrigue surrounding his situation. He kept mum about the diagnosis and rehabilitation. In contrast, Murray has taken a different approach in telling it like it is: Back surgery would cut his 2013 season short. Totally transparent with his fans, Murray even tweeted a post-surgical thumbs-up photo from his hospital bed in late September. There are no guarantees on Murray's return, but his hope is to be training in Miami as usual in November and back on tour in time to compete at the 2014 Australian Open in January.

"I guess [Nadal's] injury, not many people knew exactly what was going on," John Isner said. "Andy, he had a small surgery on his back. It's as simple as that. He needed to take the rest of the year off. Probably a smart move for him. He needs to be as healthy as possible for 2014. But with Rafa, I guess it was a bit of an unknown. Nobody really knew when he was going to come back, if his knees were going to be 100 percent again. He's answered all those critics. He's No. 1 in the world again, which is pretty remarkable."

If we are to measure Murray's absence this year in comparison to Nadal last year, it would be fair to say he hasn't reached the same level of water-cooler conversation here in Shanghai.

Beyond British borders, Murray, a two-time Grand Slam champion with Wimbledon and the 2012 U.S. Open titles, isn't quite on the same superstar spectrum as Nadal or Roger Federer. Without a doubt, Murray's Wimbledon heroics made an entire nation weep with joy, and the Scot has practically been anointed an honorary royal. Nevertheless, the rest of the world hasn't become totally manic about Murray -- at least not yet.

That said, while the fans and media aren't making a big deal about Murray skipping Shanghai, the players are certainly not oblivious to his absence.

"Is a negative for the world of tennis that he's not able to play here in the last part of the season," Nadal said. "But at the same time, I am happy for him that if he's able to recover 100 percent well, and he's able to play with no pain, will be much better for him. At the end mentally, when you are playing with pain, mentally is very tiring. I know that. That's something that what was happening to him last period of time. So I think he made the right decision. Was the right moment to take that decision, after the US Open, in my opinion."

As Nadal can attest, it's not about the attention; it's about health and, of course, success.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7853 on: October 08, 2013, 11:43 PM »

I read that article on twitter earlier today. I have to say it is a rather mean-spirited and pointless article. Any top player missing from a tournament is a shame for fans and the tournament.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7854 on: October 08, 2013, 11:51 PM »

It is possible they were misinformed, but there's definitely something in what they said, because I've not seen any mention of Andy being at any events, but a few people saying they spotted Judy and Princess Anne at the graduation.  Steve Redgrave was there too.  You'd expect someone to mention spotting him.

Then again, it could be that Andy wasn't at the actual ceremony, and was at the function afterwards, and everyone invited to that is more discrete.  The original tweeter described it as "a VIP" they're working at, which sounds more like a function than ceremony.   Or maybe Andy was optimistically invited.  You would, wouldn't you? lol
That did cross my mind.   Also it's possible that Andy still isn't able to, or has been advised not to, sit in the one position for too long, which he would have to do if he attended the graduation.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7855 on: October 08, 2013, 11:53 PM »

They answered their own question.  No-one needs to wonder why Andy is off, and they all have a good idea of how long he'll be out, because he said so.  They also didn't mention that Jamie has been playing the Asian Swing, so players will have had plenty of opportunities to ask him how Andy's doing.  Not that I'd expect him to give much away, but it would cut down the gossip.

Half the chat about Nadal was whether or not he was on a silent ban, or that he was suffering some kind of mental break-down after his early exit from Wimbledon.  Plus Nadal missed the Olympics and the US Open, two huge tournaments.  Missing the Asian Swing isn't nearly as dramatic.

It's utterly pointless, except to appear dismissive.  Yet by writing an article about Andy, they are contradicting themselves! Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7856 on: October 09, 2013, 12:10 AM »

Apart from all that, once again there's the insinuation that Andy used his back as an excuse to miss RG in order to have more time to prepare for Wimbledon.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7857 on: October 09, 2013, 12:27 AM »

Thanks Tom.  I must admit I've never come across Martin Samuel in the DM, but that's neither here nor there, because I really do not envy journalists their job in whatever aspect of the news they're involved in, given that they're supposed to remain completely impassive and objective in their reports no matter what they're feeling inside.  Goodness knows how correspondents reporting on horrific events like those in Syria manage to cope.  Probably get back to their hotels and scream and take it out on the furniture because if they didn't do something to let it out they'd eventually go nuts.   
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7858 on: October 09, 2013, 01:00 AM »

What a mean-spirited load of nonsense. Personally I think Andy being out is bad for the game because he brings so much to the court, but I know it had to be done.

The piece is basically trying to turn the issue into a popularity contest, which is pathetic really. I'm also not sure whether they are talking about players being missed by fans or other players, because it sort of reads like they are talking about both. It just seems to me that any Andy fan is bound to miss him just now. I know I have withdrawals like you wouldn't believe! I think any fan of tennis would miss Andy too. I mean, the man can do it all, has a wonderful game and a desire to win. It makes him exciting to watch.

The media needs to learn that popularity isn't about how many majors you've won or how smarmy you can be in interviews. Some of us like certain players because of how they play and because of how hard they have worked to do it. I like a lot of players, Andy, Ferrer, Tsonga, Delpo and Djokovic some of the time, but also people like Pospisil and Dimitrov too, but it's funny, only two of them on my list have won slams and only one is my absolute favourite. Bet you can't pick which Smile.

The difference between Andy and Nadal is quite simple. Andy has been honest and open. Sure, he hasn't gone into explicit detail at every stage, but he has given enough. He has also been clear and at no stage has he contradicted himself. Allowing himself to be seen in that hospital bed when he was clearly less than his best would have shot down any rumours and gossip straight away, unless of course the gossips also happen to be conspiracy theorists, really, really thick or readers of a certain newspaper, assuming all those are ultimately not one and the same.

To be perfectly honest I couldn't care less what the other players think about Andy's absence or how much they miss him. All that bothers me is that they show him respect when he's back on court, because when he is back to his best they'll need to.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7859 on: October 09, 2013, 01:06 AM »

Just realised I've made a boo-boo. Delpo has won a slam as well! Mustn't forget that, he's bigger than me Smile.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 523 [524] 525 526 527 ... 711 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »