Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 552 [553] 554 555 556 ... 713 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 414479 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8280 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12 AM »

Yes Aileen I tried on both my phones but one of them kept getting a fault message if I remember correctly and I never did get through on it.  In this era of skyping and video conferencing it's crazy to expect him to fly across the Atlantic to receive the award.  He could easily be interviewed by video and Judy receive the actual award for him.  I know it's not quite the same for the audience but it doesn't make sense to disrupt his training.
Missed the 5 live interview last night but this morning they said it's on the 5 live website on catch up so will check it out later. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8281 on: November 13, 2013, 05:54 PM »

Yes Aileen I tried on both my phones but one of them kept getting a fault message if I remember correctly and I never did get through on it.  In this era of skyping and video conferencing it's crazy to expect him to fly across the Atlantic to receive the award.  He could easily be interviewed by video and Judy receive the actual award for him.  I know it's not quite the same for the audience but it doesn't make sense to disrupt histe training.
Andy says he going discuss the matter of whether or not to attend with Lendl and his team, but given that he intends to spend Christmas in the UK and the fact that he's scheduled to play in Abu Dhabi which starts on 26 December, with Andy scheduled to play Tsonga that day, then flying home in time for the award ceremony seems like quite a wise idea in order to give him a decent few days' rest.
[ Last edit by Aileen November 13, 2013, 05:58 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8282 on: November 13, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Yeah aileen but knowing andy who never seems to take more than 4 or 5 days rest, think the ceremony is on 16th Dec! That would mean him being home for about 2 weeks all in all that seems too long a break compared to what he normally takes. I still have my doubts on wether he will attend.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8283 on: November 13, 2013, 07:11 PM »

me too angie especially as he'll be wanting to let his back relax in warmer climes for as long as possible I'd have thought
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8284 on: November 13, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Yeah aileen but knowing andy who never seems to take more than 4 or 5 days rest, think the ceremony is on 16th Dec! That would mean him being home for about 2 weeks all in all that seems too long a break compared to what he normally takes. I still have my doubts on whether he will attend.
me too angie especially as he'll be wanting to let his back relax in warmer climes for as long as possible I'd have thought
Thanks for the correction Angie.  Yes, but if he were to arrive in the UK the day before then that would only give him about a week at most before he has to go to AD, which starts on the 26th, to start acclimatising himself to the conditions there, and god forbid he spends three days jetting about like he did last year before he arrived in AD.  Some holiday!

With all respect Ruthie, given that airplanes are heated, that his house has under-floor CH, and that he can drive to wherever he wants to go, his back should be OK if he wears warm winter clothing when he is outside, perhaps walking Maggie and Rusty - something he loves doing.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8285 on: November 13, 2013, 09:36 PM »

Aileen you and I are deffo stalking Judys house this xmas eve! I think andy will make an appearance like last year Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8286 on: November 13, 2013, 09:46 PM »

Aileen you and I are deffo stalking Judys house this xmas eve! I think andy will make an appearance like last year Wink
I'm not so sure.  He was really frazzled last year by the time he got to AD because he was so jet-lagged and pushed for time.  But maybe we could set up a spy camera which would alert us to his arrival if he does make an appearance in the run-up to Christmas. secret service agent  Very Happy
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8287 on: November 14, 2013, 09:14 AM »

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/13/the-top-ten-tennis-bets-for-2014-andy-murray-can-cling-on-to-his-wimbledon-crown-but-novak-djokovic-will-emerge-as-no-1-4184445/The top ten tennis bets for 2014: Andy Murray can cling on to his Wimbledon crown but Novak Djokovic will emerge as No.1

By The Tipster Wednesday 13 Nov 2013 1:31 pm
Novak Djokovic lifts the trophy after defeating Rafael Nadal (Picture: Reuters)
Tennis fans are already suffering withdrawal symptoms after Novak Djokovic’s successful defence of his Barclays ATP World Tour Finals title brought the curtain down on a brilliant week at the 02 Arena in London. Here are out top ten bets for the 2014 season.

10. Who will win the Australian Open?
The end of the official ATP season may have come at just the wrong time for Novak Djokovic as he is enjoying a run of 22 matches since his last defeat. Fortunately for the Serbian, he has won the last three Aussie Opens and is a worthy 7/4 favourite with Betfred to add a fourth straight.

9. Can anyone stop Rafael Nadal winning at Roland Garros?
The Spaniard has won a record eight French Open championships and is the undisputed king of clay. He should add another title to his impressive CV in Paris in May at 8/11 with Ladbrokes, William Hill and Coral.

8. Will Andy Murray retain his Wimbledon title?
There is no reason why the world No.4 cannot keep the SW19 set happy with another victory at the All England Club. Djokovic, Nadal and Juan Martin del Potro will be big threats but the Scot is 7/2 with Bwin to win the third Slam of his career.

Andy Murray can defend his Wimbledon title (Picture: Reuters)
7. Who will be flushed with success at the US Open?
Novak Djokovic reached the final at Flushing Meadows this year and can go one better in Queens next September. He is 2/1 with Coral and Bet Victor to add another New York title to his 2011 success.

6. Who will win the most Grand Slams in 2014?
Few are better than Djokovic at analysing weaknesses in their game and fixing the problem as quickly as possible. He only goes from strength to strength and 2014 could be a massive year. Back him in this category at 6/4 with Bet Victor.

5. Is Roger Federer a spent force?
It’s tough to criticise the 17-time Grand Slam winner who has given us so much pleasure and he is adamant he will enjoy a big 2014 after recovering from the back pains which blighted him this year. But although he may win events outside of the Grand Slams, he won’t be winning any of the five-set tournaments as age catches up on a player who will be 33 next year. Federer is 1/10 to win none of the Big Four competitions with Paddy Power and significantly under-priced at 5/1 to celebrate one success.

4. Who will win the women’s title at the Australian Open?
Serena Williams can start the year in style by being marvelous in Melbourne at 5/4 with William Hill, Paddy Power, Betfred and Boylesports.

3. The Wimbledon’s women’s singles champion will be?
It’s a tough one to call as the top seeds are unlikely to crash out as early as they did this year but beaten finalist Sabine Lisicki clearly excels on grass and is massive each-way value at 20/1 with Sportingbet.

2. Who will win the women’s title at the US Open.
Serena Williams is always a danger on her home territory but New York fans may be cheering another home talent to victory in the shape of rapidly improving Sloane Stephens at 18/1 with Sky Bet.

1. Who will finish the 2014 as the world No.1?
It will be a straight dogfight between current incumbent Rafa Nadal and world No.2 Novak Djokovic with the Serbian expected to gain the upper hand early in the year and retain control until the season finishes at 4/6 with Sky Bet.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8288 on: November 14, 2013, 11:53 AM »

With all respect Ruthie, given that airplanes are heated, that his house has under-floor CH, and that he can drive to wherever he wants to go, his back should be OK if he wears warm winter clothing when he is outside, perhaps walking Maggie and Rusty - something he loves doing.

fair enough Aileen but I was simply picking up on what I think I read Andy himself had said about looking forward to the warmer climate of Miami as the cold here hadn't been helping his back (and it's not even been that cold so far this Autumn)
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8289 on: November 14, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Andy says he going discuss the matter of whether or not to attend with Lendl and his team, but given that he intends to spend Christmas in the UK and the fact that he's scheduled to play in Abu Dhabi which starts on 26 December, with Andy scheduled to play Tsonga that day, then flying home in time for the award ceremony seems like quite a wise idea in order to give him a decent few days' rest.

Has anyone ever won SPOTY who has not been present?

I shall vote for him as he is a personality and the top sportman in GB. I think only Mo Farah and Sarah Storey come close in ability worldwide but they lose out on the support for other reasons?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8290 on: November 14, 2013, 12:46 PM »

It might be warmer in the Midland Ruthie but it's bloody cold up here. We have had cold biting winds and frost on the ground and it's not even officially winter.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8291 on: November 14, 2013, 06:49 PM »

the cold winds have made it down here too now lb though the sun is still quite warm and was shining all day today. And it's been pretty warm in London recently.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8292 on: November 14, 2013, 06:55 PM »

It was freezing in London on Sunday! Lovely and sunny thoough.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8293 on: November 14, 2013, 06:59 PM »

that's true ww. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8294 on: November 14, 2013, 08:07 PM »

fair enough Aileen but I was simply picking up on what I think I read Andy himself had said about looking forward to the warmer climate of Miami as the cold here hadn't been helping his back (and it's not even been that cold so far this Autumn)
Lucky you - it's been very cold and quite windy up here although there have been a few sunny days.

I do remember Andy saying that about his back, but given that this is only two months after the op it doesn't surprise me that it will still be sensitive and susceptible to cold due to the healing process. Hopefully his time in the warmth of Miami plus his fitness training - from which I expect the more rigorous aspects will have been removed, at least initially - will see a great improvement in it.

However I seem to recall somebody on here saying that Andy had only been joking when he made that comment ... Whistle  Well let people believe what they want to believe!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 552 [553] 554 555 556 ... 713 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »