Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 559 [560] 561 562 563 ... 721 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 426855 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8385 on: November 23, 2013, 12:20 PM »

I know I'm stepping into a minefield, but Cliff and The Shadows as well, 5 years before The Beatles and 40-odd years after. I can't see any of these boy bands having that sort of longevity.

Coldplay could get close. Hopefully....
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8386 on: November 23, 2013, 12:37 PM »

Coldplay aren't really classed as a boyband though

More indie/pop manband Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #8387 on: November 23, 2013, 01:14 PM »

Coldplay could get close. Hopefully....

Maybe, but I don't think the record companies are interested in longevity now. It seems all about wheel 'em in, wheel 'em out.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8388 on: November 23, 2013, 03:07 PM »

I know I'm stepping into a minefield, but Cliff and The Shadows as well, 5 years before The Beatles and 40-odd years after. I can't see any of these boy bands having that sort of longevity.

That's what my older brother used to say about Madonna, Kylie, George Michael and Take That!  lol

I'm fairly sure people were saying it of the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Cliff too.

As long as I can remember, the older generation, and mean spirited big brothers, have always under-estimated the pop music of the day, insisting they won't last like the ones they know and love.  What they forget is that most pop groups from their day didn't last long either.  A handful hang around, and they are the ones that they remember.

However, some of my favourite music has come from acts who only had a handful of hits, and I never could quite understand why that should matter.   Half of the fun of pop music is that it is of that moment.   Similarly, there are some old-timers that have done nothing I like.  I don't know, nor particularly care if One Direction will still be around in 40 years time, but what cannot be denied is that they are very popular with a lot of people right now, and it's not just teenagers.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #8389 on: November 23, 2013, 05:49 PM »

That's what my older brother used to say about Madonna, Kylie, George Michael and Take That!  lol

I'm fairly sure people were saying it of the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Cliff too.

As long as I can remember, the older generation, and mean spirited big brothers, have always under-estimated the pop music of the day, insisting they won't last like the ones they know and love.  What they forget is that most pop groups from their day didn't last long either.  A handful hang around, and they are the ones that they remember.

However, some of my favourite music has come from acts who only had a handful of hits, and I never could quite understand why that should matter.   Half of the fun of pop music is that it is of that moment.   Similarly, there are some old-timers that have done nothing I like.  I don't know, nor particularly care if One Direction will still be around in 40 years time, but what cannot be denied is that they are very popular with a lot of people right now, and it's not just teenagers.
  The real interesting question is what will happen when the original fan base dies out,  that will really separate the sheep from the goats. What is the profile of Cliff Richard's fan base, for example, or the Stone or the Beatles come to that? I am one of the Pink Floyd generation, but massive as they were, I don't see them with mass appeal outwith a dwindling base.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8390 on: November 23, 2013, 05:51 PM »

Thanks TJ.  I'd forgotten about Cliff and the Shadows.  Definitely preferred them to The Beatles!   
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8391 on: November 23, 2013, 11:05 PM »

The real interesting question is what will happen when the original fan base dies out,  that will really separate the sheep from the goats. What is the profile of Cliff Richard's fan base, for example, or the Stone or the Beatles come to that? I am one of the Pink Floyd generation, but massive as they were, I don't see them with mass appeal outwith a dwindling base.

I go to quite a lot of gigs in London, with young bands performing. The DJs between sets play loads of old stuff - Kinks, Stones, Zombies, Beatles etc (Cliff - not so much). I feel quite at home! They don't play any One Direction though - different audience I suppose
IP Logged
Eddster
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8392 on: November 23, 2013, 11:09 PM »

Has anyone watched that stream to see when he is on?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8393 on: November 24, 2013, 12:57 PM »

I had never heard of George Michael  until my son bought me one of his CD's for my Christmas a few years ago I think it was called Older. I thought it was great. I still have all his music on my Ipod I have a wide taste in music. I like The Faces Rod Stewart's group before he went solo and Andrea Bocelli who has a terrific  voice. It depends what you like, I like Karen Matheson I love Ailein Duinn sung in Gaelic a beautiful soulful song. You never know what stirs the soul and this song is beautiful.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #8394 on: November 24, 2013, 03:04 PM »

I can't speak about the Stones, or The Beatles, but I am in a good position to talk about Cliff, as a life-long, and very proud Cliff fan.

I'm sure it must be the same for all of these acts above a certain age, but certainly with Cliff the media would have people believe his entire fanbase is women in their 60s. Indeed, in certain circles Cliff's fans are known as 'the blue rinse brigade'. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Go to any of Cliff's concerts to find out the truth. Fans of all ages, men and women, black and white. Sure, Cliff has his fair share of fans who got into his stuff when he started, when he was an earthy rock n roll singer, but a lot of us are too young to remember that directly. I got into him on the strength of stuff like Devil Woman, We Don't Talk Anymore, and stuff like that, and I know people younger than me who are in to Cliff. Contrary to popular myth, though getting stuff out to the wider public is tough, due to prejudice mainly, Cliff still has a solid fanbase of all ages.

What Cliff has done successfully is move with the times, whilst still being true to himself and what he does. That, at least it seems to me, is the secret to lasting in an industry like that. That and talent, of course.

The problem that a lot of older artists have now is making themselves heard above the kids. Older artists are routinely taken off radio station playlists, and record companies won't promote them properly, based on nothing more than age. Still, it doesn't stop the good ones. Cliff's just released his 100th album and got into the top ten with it.

My point from before was a little misunderstood as well, or I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to suggest acts like One Direction don't enjoy popularity. My meaning was about the music industry and how it treats these acts (and thereby the audiences) compared to the past. I know for a fact that when Cliff started, for example, he had a no.2 hit with his first single. His next couple were a bit less successful, which worried him. Well, he was only 17 Smile. However, he was told not to worry, the right material would come along. Then came a little track called Living Doll, and the rest is history. No.1, shifted copies by the truckload and Cliff didn't look back. Nowadays if an act doesn't reach no.1 immediately a company loses interest. If they have a couple of big hits and then they slip a bit, a company will lose interest. Longevity isn't encouraged, and it seems a shame to me. I mean, Cliff, the Stones, Elton John, etc, are not going to be around forever (although musically they might) and it makes you wonder who your kids and grandkids will be listening to in the future.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8395 on: November 24, 2013, 03:57 PM »

Andy shared this article on his Facebook

Great Years for Nadal and Murray, One Wincing Moment for Djokovic

Novak Djokovic after he won the ATP World Tour Finals against Rafael Nadal in London this month. He had a brilliant year, but still ended up ranked No. 2 in the world.
KIRSTY WIGGLESWORTH / ASSOCIATED PRESS
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY
November 22, 2013
As it turned out, the Davis Cup final that ended Nov. 17 with the Czech Republic beating Serbia was in perfect harmony with the rest of the tennis season.

Novak Djokovic played well, even brilliantly, and still ended up No. 2.

So it went in a year that despite all of Djokovic’s earthly achievements and supernatural flexibility will belong in the history books and the memory banks to Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray.

Nadal was both the player of the year and comeback player of the year, brimming with urgency and accuracy after serious knee problems and winning 10 titles — six on clay and four on outdoor hardcourts — while compiling a 75-7 record.

Andy Murray after defeating Novak Djokovic in the men's final at Wimbledon in July.
KERIM OKTEN / EUROPEAN PRESSPHOTO AGENCY
Murray secured himself a permanent place of privilege in his class-conscious island nation by beating Djokovic to become the first British man in 77 years to win Wimbledon (his book “Seventy-Seven” is now available for purchase).

But in the calm of November, one cannot help but wonder how 2013 might have turned out if the wild eighth game of the fifth set of Djokovic’s French Open semifinal against Nadal had unfolded just a bit differently.

At that stage, Djokovic was still up a break of serve and looking perfectly prepared to become only the second man to beat Nadal at Roland Garros.

At that stage, too, Djokovic’s chances of winning the only Grand Slam singles title he lacks looked better than ever, considering that either Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or David Ferrer was certain to be across the net in the final.

Rafael Nadal celebrating after defeating Novak Djokovic in an epic semifinal at the French Open in June.
VINCENT KESSLER / REUTERS
The wind was gusting in Paris during that eighth game, sending red clay swirling into the air near the baselines, and Nadal earned his first break point with a forehand winner down the line that left Djokovic spreading his arms in supplication and down 30-40.

But the Serb would dodge that danger when Nadal mis-hit a forehand and then twisted away with clenched fists and howled in frustration.

That was a rare sight. Nadal is a man who usually runs (and runs) on positive energy. And there would be more exotica on the very next point as the acrobatic Djokovic, in control of the exchange but oddly not of his balance, put away a high volley and collided with the net before his would-be winner had bounced a second time.

The French chair umpire Pascal Maria correctly applied the rules. Instead of “Advantage Djokovic” it was “Advantage Nadal,” and though Djokovic boldly pushed forward again to save a second break point, he would lose the next rally when Nadal produced a screaming backhand winner and then lose his serve by dumping a forehand into the net.

The set and the suspense continued to build, but Djokovic never won more than a point in any of Nadal’s remaining service games and eventually cracked first as the Spaniard broke him again with help from a botched overhead to finish off his 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 6-7 (3-7), 9-7 victory.

The final against Ferrer indeed proved to be a straight-set afterthought, as Nadal secured his eighth French Open title, but the thought of how 2013 would have played out for Djokovic and Nadal if that eighth game had turned out differently is harder to shake.

Tennis at its highest reaches often feels like a zero-sum confidence game, with the stars exchanging the available capital. Djokovic might have felt unstoppable with the boost in belief acquired from completing a career Grand Slam and just might have had the requisite oomph to complete a single-season Grand Slam with the first two legs in his possession after winning in Australia.

Instead it was Nadal, after absorbing the shock of his first-round loss to Steve Darcis at Wimbledon, who became the year’s major player: sweeping all before him in the summer hard-court season and beating Djokovic again in a four-set United States Open final.

Djokovic certainly struck back with conviction, but his sensational run after New York — 24 straight victories, including two over Nadal and 11 more over top-10 opponents — came too late to rewrite the heart of the 2013 narrative.

“Well, we both had great seasons, especially him,” Djokovic said of Nadal in London, where Djokovic successfully defended his title indoors at the ATP World Tour Finals.

In the end, his head-to-head record for the year with Nadal was 3-3, but Djokovic also made long-form magic with lesser opponents, particularly those intent on taking big baseline risks against him.

He played and won five-set classics with Stanislas Wawrinka at the Australian Open and United States Open. He beat Juan Martín del Potro in five sets in the Wimbledon semifinals in a match that was actually more entertaining, from start to finish, than Djokovic’s clash with Nadal in Paris, and then held off del Potro again in a terrific Shanghai final full of acute angles and raw power.

Murray, who had struggled to find top gear in the earlier stages of the tournament, clearly benefited from del Potro’s exertions against Djokovic at Wimbledon. The final was a physical three-set match in which Djokovic appeared a few arrows short of a full quiver.

But then Murray, to his full credit, rose to this occasion, much as he had on the same patch of lawn in winning the 2012 Olympic gold medal against Roger Federer. Murray served with authority, broke Djokovic seven times and, as if to emphasize the energy gap on that historic Sunday, chased down drop shot after drop shot down the stretch as he fought through the nerves and three lost match points to finish off Djokovic and that 77-year hex.

“That last game will be the toughest game I’ll play in my career, ever,” Murray said.

It is hard to argue, even if Murray is still just 26 with — spirit and dodgy back willing — many more Wimbledons to come.

Djokovic, also 26, has no such tournament in his own country; no such highly publicized national drought in need of relief.

But he does have his ever-more personal quest at the French Open, and for all his victories and bravado in the final weeks of 2013, he must still have his private moments when he flashes back to that eighth game in June and winces.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/23/sports/tennis/great-years-for-nadal-and-murray-one-wincing-moment-for-djokovic.html?_r=0
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8396 on: November 24, 2013, 04:54 PM »

I am a bit fed up with the media and their persistence that Nole had a harder tournament than Andy.  Andy had one 5 setter and then a SF of 4 sets with plenty of stress plus the added stress of his country desperately wanting him to win.  Nole is notorious for his recovery so I do not believe that his match against Delpo was the reason for his loss.  He just could not find an answer to an inspired Andy that day.

I have just been watching the final again and Nole did not seem any more tired than Andy.  Andy had the upper hand most of the time.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8397 on: November 24, 2013, 04:58 PM »

Has anyone watched that stream to see when he is on?

This was it - on for 10 seconds!

Andy "Hi guys, hope you are well. I got a question for Harry. I was just wondering if my girlfriend can have your telephone number???"

Thanks to I Love Andy Murray ‏@Iloveandymurray

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8398 on: November 24, 2013, 05:25 PM »

You are correct tamila he had no harder matches than Andy. Andy was the better player on the day and that is why he won. I watched the match again last night as TV was rubbish. I was so proud of Andy he held his nerve and won a well deserved victory. Can't wait for the tennis to start again very bored at the moment.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8399 on: November 24, 2013, 05:35 PM »

You are correct tamila he had no harder matches than Andy. Andy was the better player on the day and that is why he won. I watched the match again last night as TV was rubbish. I was so proud of Andy he held his nerve and won a well deserved victory. Can't wait for the tennis to start again very bored at the moment.

TV was not rubbish last night :O Celebration of 50 years of British culture and many other things.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 559 [560] 561 562 563 ... 721 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »