Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 572 [573] 574 575 576 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 508298 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8580 on: December 15, 2013, 09:10 AM »

Who would have thought the Express could come up with such a perceptive and positive article Sparkle!  I read that Linekar is also saying Andy may regret not attending in years to come - but then he would wouldn't he as he wants to talk up the whole thing.  According to Guardian, Andy is the shortest-priced favourite in the 60 year history of SPOTY.   Even if there's a slight backlash because of the very odds and because of 'not bothering' to turn up as  Fox so gracelessly put it, surely the bookies and the pre-SPOTY polls can't be that wrong?
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8581 on: December 15, 2013, 09:21 AM »

Who would have thought the Express could come up with such a perceptive and positive article Sparkle!
Not me! lol

I understand why a showbiz/tv producer type might think Andy could regret missing out on the show, but I'm surprised a serious athlete can't see that Andy is far more likely to regret not putting his all into training.  Regardless of how well Andy does in Australia, the knowledge that he's done everything he can to get back to full fitness will satisfy him.

I think it shows Lineker is out of touch with what it takes to participate at the top level, in individual sports.  I can see there might be a different attitude when you play as part of a team, where you can still play, safe in the knowledge you can be substituted if you get weary.

Andy will have plenty of time to turn up when he's retired.   yay
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8582 on: December 15, 2013, 09:56 AM »

I think it shows Lineker is out of touch with what it takes to participate at the top level, in individual sports.  I can see there might be a different attitude when you play as part of a team, where you can still play, safe in the knowledge you can be substituted if you get weary.

Gary Lineker wasn't criticising Andy:

Lineker said Murray’s absence will not diminish the event, but added that the Scot may regret his decision in the future.

“If he goes on to win, and obviously he’s the favourite, we’ll hear from him via satellite. But maybe in the years to come he may regret it,” said Lineker.

“The reception that people get when they win the award is quite unforgettable. It’s a real chance to finally get that respect for working damn hard.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/gary-lineker-andy-murray-will-regret-missing-bbc-sports-personality-of-the-year-award-9003007.html

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #8583 on: December 15, 2013, 10:20 AM »

Lineker said Murray’s absence will not diminish the event, but added that the Scot may regret his decision in the future.

“If he goes on to win, and obviously he’s the favourite, we’ll hear from him via satellite. But maybe in the years to come he may regret it,” said Lineker.

“The reception that people get when they win the award is quite unforgettable. It’s a real chance to finally get that respect for working damn hard.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/gary-lineker-andy-murray-will-regret-missing-bbc-sports-personality-of-the-year-award-9003007.html

Far more likely he would regret a decision to attend.  As for public adulation, surely nothing could top the hysteria of 7 and 8 July 2013.   Linekers an idiot, even if he thought that he should have had the sense to keep his trap shut.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8584 on: December 15, 2013, 01:16 PM »

I didn't take it as criticism Elena.  I think he genuinely meant it well and that Andy will have wished he had attended because of the recognition and adulation he would receive.  And of course it's better for the show which is what he cares about.  But he doesn't really understand our Andy and what motivates him. Andy has called it a sacrifice not coming and I'm sure even he would have enjoyed the recognition but he quite rightly puts getting into shape to make a decent tilt at the AO as a priority.   
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8585 on: December 15, 2013, 05:50 PM »

I doubt anything can beat the reception he got at Wimbledon.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8586 on: December 15, 2013, 05:54 PM »

No your quite right nothing is ever gonna beat that is it? Even if (fingers crossed) andy wins it again nothing is ever gonna be as special as the first time Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8587 on: December 15, 2013, 05:56 PM »

Winning the US Open = much more special.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8588 on: December 15, 2013, 05:57 PM »

Winning the US Open = much more special.

No chance prod
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8589 on: December 15, 2013, 05:57 PM »

Andy himself has said Wimbledon was extra special
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8590 on: December 15, 2013, 05:59 PM »

US open was his first slam, it's more special for me.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8591 on: December 15, 2013, 05:59 PM »

US open was his first slam, it's more special for me.

Ooh right your talking about what was more special for you! Sorry I picked u up wrong.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Articles « Reply #8592 on: December 15, 2013, 06:00 PM »

No chance prod

Yes there is a chance. Both of his Slam wins broke records, and with the US Open being the first to do so, and to be the one that broke the most important record of the two, from a fan's point of view that may not reside in the UK, that would be the most important. The first British male to win a Slam in some 70+ years is much more important than becoming the first British male to win one tournament (Wimbledon) in 77 years. I totally see where Joe is coming from.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8593 on: December 15, 2013, 06:03 PM »

Yes there is a chance. Both of his Slam wins broke records, and with the US Open being the first to do so, and to be the one that broke the most important record of the two, from a fan's point of view that may not reside in the UK, that would be the most important. The first British male to win a Slam in some 70+ years is much more important than becoming the first British male to win one tournament (Wimbledon) in 77 years. I totally see where Joe is coming from.

Your so wrong. I think if u asked 99% of British public they would opt for Wimbledon and andy has also previously said the same so I'm afraid you and joe are in minority.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Articles « Reply #8594 on: December 15, 2013, 06:04 PM »

Your so wrong. I think if u asked 99% of British public they would opt for Wimbledon and andy has also previously said the same so I'm afraid you and joe are in minority.

But I never said I found the US Open more special over Wimbledon. I was just backing up what Joe said.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 572 [573] 574 575 576 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »