Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 3 Members and 13 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 578 [579] 580 581 582 ... 736 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 443954 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #8670 on: December 28, 2013, 06:45 AM »

^ Good. Plenty of time for that when Andy retires.
Think he'd be acutely embarrassed by it at the mo. as well
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8671 on: December 28, 2013, 07:09 AM »

^ Good. Plenty of time for that when Andy retires.
Think he'd be acutely embarrassed by it at the mo. as well

Much as I want him to get one, I agree with you that it is too soon. By winning Wimbledon, I think he has got one in the bag for the future. It would be silly at the moment. Every time I hear Bradley Wiggins introduced as Sir Bradley, it comes over as cringeworthy to me.  Not getting SPOTY this year would have been a travesty - not getting the knighthood yet is just common sense. Although certain sections of the press are irritating me saying it is a snub. I should know better than to read them. 
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8672 on: December 28, 2013, 07:19 AM »

good grief some idiot moaning because Andy is holding the Union Flag the wrong way up in the pic from the Olympics.  Some people will never be happy when it comes to Andy.  doh

So are some of the others but, of course, they must pick out Andy.  Par for the course!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8673 on: December 28, 2013, 07:25 AM »

Much as I want him to get one, I agree with you that it is too soon. By winning Wimbledon, I think he has got one in the bag for the future. It would be silly at the moment. Every time I hear Bradley Wiggins introduced as Sir Bradley, it comes over as cringeworthy to me.  Not getting SPOTY this year would have been a travesty - not getting the knighthood yet is just common sense. Although certain sections of the press are irritating me saying it is a snub. I should know better than to read them. 
Andy himself said it was too soon for a knighthood.  It should come later in his career and anyway it would be too close to his receiving the OBE.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #8674 on: December 28, 2013, 09:13 AM »

********. Andy will win several more Slams. He is still better than 97% of the tour, even when injured.

I agree. It's wise of Andy to be cautious, he knows better than most how tough winning them is, but if he finishes his career with less than 6 I'll eat my hat.

The Mail just basically took what Andy has said many times since winning the USO and twisted it, to make it sound like he's ruled out winning more, but it isn't what Andy said.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #8675 on: December 28, 2013, 09:18 AM »

I'm not remotely upset by Andy not getting the knighthood yet. I think he will be offered it eventually, but I think the powers that be need to keep something back for when he retires.

I don't like the way Wiggins uses the 'Sir' even when he's competing, though I know he's within his rights to do so. It makes him look pretentious.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8676 on: December 28, 2013, 01:06 PM »

In fact the knighthood or damehood for that matter is so diminished that to give Andy his reward now will not do him any good.

It will suitably be awarded when he approaches retirement having done a lot for British tennis by coaching with Judy up and coming youngsters. This is in line with his off-stated future wishes. Andy has already expressed that he will coach once his playing days are over. That way the knighthood will be merited, not only for having won Wimbledon this year, but also for having encouraged and help develop future slam champions.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8677 on: December 28, 2013, 01:09 PM »

Andy himself said he felt it was too early even though if it had been offered he'd have accepted.  If anything it's a snub to Cameron who had been very publicly touting it - good for the sports honours committee for ignoring him.  While I don't think  the rules necessarily make that much sense, I'm glad they're not breaking them just because Cameron said they should.
[ Last edit by Ruthie December 28, 2013, 02:08 PM ] IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8678 on: December 28, 2013, 02:02 PM »

Cameron should have been aware that Andy was to pick up an OBE this year and therefore not eligible to get another honour so soon. All he has done is embarrass himself and Andy by not getting anything this time around.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8679 on: December 28, 2013, 02:28 PM »

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/12/52/January-Preview.aspx
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8680 on: December 28, 2013, 04:34 PM »

Today's Graniad had a memorable sporting moments feature and Andy, not surprisingly, came first:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/27/memorable-moments-2013-andy-murray

The comments below it are positive too.
Kev Mitchell seems to be doubling as a cricket correspondent as well now - I guess the Guardian couldn't afford to send two people out to Australia so he'll just stay on for AO.  Whistle
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8681 on: December 29, 2013, 04:44 PM »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/plant-named-after-andy-murray-2969631

A champion hosta for a Wimbledon Champion

http://www.hostahem.org.uk/
[ Last edit by IonaRed December 29, 2013, 04:47 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8682 on: December 30, 2013, 09:52 AM »

nice little piece by Ross yesterday in Observer colour mag's selection of eyewitness accounts of 'defining moments' in 2013.  It was given the most prominence of all of them.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/29/2013-eyewitness-accounts-andy-murray-wimbledon

and here's a piece in today's Independent where Tim warns that we must give Andy slack as it could take some months for him to return to his peak - but also optimistic he could come back a better player in the longer run
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-could-need-six-months-to-return-to-peak-form-warns-tim-henman--but-could-be-better-than-ever-9029623.html

while on the other side of the page a general commentary by Kevin Garside, which totally ignores Andy's op and, while generally positive, can't resist a little snide dig: 'fate is calling Murray to substantiate his claims as a historic tennis figure, as opposed to the bloke who cleaned up a couple of times when Djoko and Rafael Nadal were a fraction out of sorts'.     doh

He does go on to say that 'two GS victories would be considered enough of a career for most players, but one as blessed as Murray has the potential to leave a deeper mark on the game'. And he goes on to say that Becker says Andy is the player of his generation, he'd least like to face.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/why-2014-promises-to-be-glorious-for-andy-murray-in-melbourne-rory-mcilroy-at-the-masters-katie-summerhayes-in-sochi-and-jos-buttler-behind-the-stumps-9029624.html
[ Last edit by Ruthie December 30, 2013, 10:01 AM ] IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8683 on: December 30, 2013, 11:06 AM »

Remember that Google video (link posted on this website a few days ago) Google are now running it on TV. I saw it last night on ITV2, It showed all major events during the year and culminating with Andy winning Wimbledon. Great!!! I hope to see it again lots.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8684 on: December 30, 2013, 12:26 PM »

yes saw it the other night dex - as someone who usually fast forwards the ads (as rarely watch tv in real time), it was a nice surprise!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 578 [579] 580 581 582 ... 736 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »