Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 1 Member and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 592 [593] 594 595 596 ... 758 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 477554 times)
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: News Articles « Reply #8880 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52 PM »

Winners never cheat and cheaters never win!!  Bloody IPad
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #8881 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55 PM »

I sure can't stand  many of Fed's  so called  fans.
So, just for that, hope Rafa murders him!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8882 on: January 23, 2014, 06:57 PM »

Winners never cheat and cheaters never win!!  Bloody IPad
Love the sentiment, but the sad truth is that cheaters do win at times.  Frown
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #8883 on: January 23, 2014, 07:24 PM »

The accounts I've read have said the ball bounced twice.  Don't for a moment believe fed didn't know that.  Another reason for hoping he loses tomorrow.  I thought it was in 3rd set though that it happened as I think it was shortly before I started listening on 5 live and that was towards end of 2nd set.  I'd thought it fired Andy to break back at the end of that set and indeed he felt it meant he wasted energy on a tb, which might not otherwise have been necessary.   

It was towards the end of the 3rd set - something like 4 all 15 all.     Very close at the time.   The umpire is the one ultimately to blame and it was just under his nose but Fed should have called it.   It's time the top guys were treated like all the others.   It's not surprising they think the rules don't apply to them.    The comms don't want to call them out either.   Am I allowed to say scumbags.   
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8884 on: January 23, 2014, 07:25 PM »

the worst are the cheaters who pull the wool over the eyes of the comms who talk about them as gentlemen/good sportsmen/role models/ambassadors of the sport  blah blah  who would never cheat
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8885 on: January 23, 2014, 07:25 PM »

the worst are the cheaters who pull the wool over the eyes of the comms who talk about them as gentlemen/good sportsmen/role models/ambassadors of the sport  blah blah  who would never cheat
More fool the Comms for being taken in...
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8886 on: January 23, 2014, 07:26 PM »

More fool the Comms for being taken in...
more fool indeed but doesn't make it any the less annoying
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #8887 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28 PM »

more fool indeed but doesn't make it any the less annoying
I know - but rise above it - Andy does this very well.  Yet another tick in the box for the man.  Can't put a price on integrity.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8888 on: January 23, 2014, 10:38 PM »

Good article from the scotsman. Maybe with andy saying he could have managed his rehab better, meaning he should have played brisbane instead of doha? With it being a stronger field and conditions more matching Melbourne?

Also they are going along with feds controversial shot being a double bounce. Have read a few other articles saying the same some even conducting polls in which the results where 70:30  that fed was at it  Think

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tennis/no-disgrace-as-andy-murray-s-bid-ended-by-federer-1-3279181
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8889 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07 PM »

Just seen this retweet on twitter:

@Michael Vaughan
Different Gravy Roger ... The coolest sportsman in the world... #Federer

He tweeted that after the Murray match. What a sycophant. I'm glad he was happy to see Roger beat (the not match fit ) Andy. That would be the BRITISH no.1 Murray.

No wonder Federer is such an arrogant arse when you see how much fawning goes on.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8890 on: January 24, 2014, 12:20 AM »

JMDP did it too. Perhaps cheating is now OK Rolling Eyes
And Delpo got dogs abuse for it on the general tennis forums.  All kinds of people were declaring him an awful human being who should no longer be trusted.

On the other hand, the minority of Fed fans who have functioning eyes attached to functioning brains, and accept that it was a double bounce, don't think it's a big deal, and no way would he have been able to tell the difference.  That's JesusFed, greatest athlete of all time doesn't have the ability to tell the difference between one bound and two.   The only proof required is that he is such a great sport, that he'd never do such a thing, therefore didn't do such a thing. Rolling Eyes

Good article from the scotsman. Maybe with andy saying he could have managed his rehab better, meaning he should have played brisbane instead of doha? With it being a stronger field and conditions more matching Melbourne?
I thought it was an interesting comment, but I don't know where they get the idea that Brisbane had a stronger field than Doha (barring qualifiers).  More like the easier field in Brisbane could have eased him in more gently, but you never know when you are going to get someone on a hot streak.  In Brisbane, there are byes for top seeds, so he'd have been playing cold against someone who'd played a first round match.  Not dissimilar to playing his Quatari qualifier. Whistle
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8891 on: January 24, 2014, 01:49 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/23/andy-murray-davis-cup-united-states

Andy Murray turns his attentions to Davis Cup tie with United States

• British No1 could play singles and doubles in San Diego
• 'Happy with progress' of back injury in Australian Open

Andy Murray flies out of Melbourne on Sunday, beaten but not disheartened. He heads for San Diego, where he will lead Great Britain's return to the world group of the Davis Cup in a first-round tie against the United States, and there is every chance he will play both singles and doubles.

That should at least wipe some of the pain away after his loss to Roger Federer in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Wednesday night, when the Swiss bossed him for two sets and held off his weakening challenge in the fourth. Murray did not want to use his recent back surgery as an excuse but it seemed from a distance that this tournament might have come a little soon for him, despite his extensive rehab programme in Miami before Christmas.

"I don't know, to be honest," he said before leaving Australia. "I don't know if I'd had 10 more matches if I would have been tired. Playing these matches at this level, it's very hard to practise against guys as good as Roger. It's hard to train at this level and prepare for that. So maybe the first slam, regardless of when, was going to be very challenging for me physically and mentally but it's a big sign of progress and my back held up fairly well."

It was, nevertheless, surprising to see him out-run and out-hit by Federer who, at 32, is six years older than the Scot. As well as the disappointment of losing to an opponent he beat in the semi-finals here a year ago, Murray will now have to live with a drop in the world rankings. He will fall from No4 to No7 if Federer beats Rafael Nadal in the semi-final on Friday, and to No6 if Nadal wins the match. Federer moves to No3 if he wins the title, his 18th grand slam, No5 if he reaches the final and back to No8 from No6 if Nadal beats him.

There is obviously nothing Murray can do about any of that, so his thoughts are now directed across the Pacific. He had contemplated returning to London for a couple of days, as he has been away from home since he had surgery on his back in late September, but he thought better of it, given the number of time zones he would have to negotiate in different directions.

The Davis Cup will be a slight step down in intensity from his return to the environment of big-time tennis in Melbourne over the past fortnight, although John Isner and Sam Querrey, his potential opponents, will not be easy to handle on the drop-in clay court that has been specially built for the tournament at the home of the San Diego Padres. It is a surface that taxes Murray's suspect knees and ankles more than any other.

"I always enjoy playing Davis Cup," he said. "I just need to look to try and recover now as quickly as possible because matches like this would normally take a couple of days. I haven't played a match like this for a while so it'll take me a little bit longer to feel good again. I'll need to take a bit of rest, and obviously, with travel and stuff and adjusting to a new surface, that's going to be another challenge. Hopefully I can do that OK.

"I do all the same recovery stuff as I used to, I just don't have to spend as much time with the recovery stuff because it's obviously improved since the surgery. I just have to monitor it and stay on top of it because it's pretty early stages still. I played my first match only three weeks ago and I've played a lot of tennis since then, so I'm happy with the way it's held up and the rest of my body."
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #8892 on: January 24, 2014, 06:06 AM »

@Sparkle
Yeah, I've noticed. Double standards much Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8893 on: January 24, 2014, 07:12 AM »

The greatest consoling feature to me about Federer and Murray, is the fact that I think Murray is a far more rounded and complete person than Federer. When Federer has to retire I think he is going to really struggle without that unrelenting fawning and adoration. He is not going to cope at all well. He will spend the rest of his days looking back, yearning.  Murray on the other hand will be unutterably relieved at no longer being the centre of attention, and move forward and embrace the new opportunities in his life. Having got his Grand Slams, (however many he ends up with), he will retire content. I would hope he stays within tennis working with young players and coaching, but he might not.

I also think as and when he becomes a father, his children will become the centre of his world, unlike the seemingly inconvenient add ons that Fed's appear to me to be, (I might be being unfair on that one).
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8894 on: January 24, 2014, 07:52 AM »

I notice Fed is saying that he feels 'maybe there's something big around the corner' - could be his ego getting ahead of him perhaps?  Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 592 [593] 594 595 596 ... 758 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »