Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 593 [594] 595 596 597 ... 725 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 433982 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8895 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46 AM »

I notice Fed is saying that he feels 'maybe there's something big around the corner' - could be his ego getting ahead of him perhaps?  Whistle

He really is a Pillock. He is almost 33, he can't stave off the effects of age for ever. Sooner or later he will be finished. He really does think he can reach No 1 again, win the Gold at Rio and collect another load of slams.  Odious man.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #8896 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21 AM »

I notice Fed is saying that he feels 'maybe there's something big around the corner' - could be his ego getting ahead of him perhaps?  Whistle
   Hopefully a rampaging rhinoceros.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8897 on: January 24, 2014, 07:25 PM »

perfect to puncture the ego fiverings
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #8898 on: January 24, 2014, 07:42 PM »

Think Rafa's done that.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #8899 on: January 24, 2014, 08:48 PM »

Think Rafa's done that.
   Yep- Raging Bull, that did it nicely.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #8900 on: January 25, 2014, 08:26 AM »

unfortunately if loss after loss to Rafa hasn't managed to puncture it I fear it's pretty impermeable.  Even when he lost confidence last year his ego still went before him.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8901 on: January 25, 2014, 12:47 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/23/andy-murray-davis-cup-united-states?CMP=twt_gu

Andy Murray flies out of Melbourne on Sunday, beaten but not disheartened. He heads for San Diego, where he will lead Great Britain's return to the world group of the Davis Cup in a first-round tie against the United States, and there is every chance he will play both singles and doubles.

That should at least wipe some of the pain away after his loss to Roger Federer in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Wednesday night, when the Swiss bossed him for two sets and held off his weakening challenge in the fourth. Murray did not want to use his recent back surgery as an excuse but it seemed from a distance that this tournament might have come a little soon for him, despite his extensive rehab programme in Miami before Christmas.

"I don't know, to be honest," he said before leaving Australia. "I don't know if I'd had 10 more matches if I would have been tired. Playing these matches at this level, it's very hard to practise against guys as good as Roger. It's hard to train at this level and prepare for that. So maybe the first slam, regardless of when, was going to be very challenging for me physically and mentally but it's a big sign of progress and my back held up fairly well."

It was, nevertheless, surprising to see him out-run and out-hit by Federer who, at 32, is six years older than the Scot. As well as the disappointment of losing to an opponent he beat in the semi-finals here a year ago, Murray will now have to live with a drop in the world rankings. He will fall from No4 to No7 if Federer beats Rafael Nadal in the semi-final on Friday, and to No6 if Nadal wins the match. Federer moves to No3 if he wins the title, his 18th grand slam, No5 if he reaches the final and back to No8 from No6 if Nadal beats him.

There is obviously nothing Murray can do about any of that, so his thoughts are now directed across the Pacific. He had contemplated returning to London for a couple of days, as he has been away from home since he had surgery on his back in late September, but he thought better of it, given the number of time zones he would have to negotiate in different directions.

The Davis Cup will be a slight step down in intensity from his return to the environment of big-time tennis in Melbourne over the past fortnight, although John Isner and Sam Querrey, his potential opponents, will not be easy to handle on the drop-in clay court that has been specially built for the tournament at the home of the San Diego Padres. It is a surface that taxes Murray's suspect knees and ankles more than any other.

"I always enjoy playing Davis Cup," he said. "I just need to look to try and recover now as quickly as possible because matches like this would normally take a couple of days. I haven't played a match like this for a while so it'll take me a little bit longer to feel good again. I'll need to take a bit of rest, and obviously, with travel and stuff and adjusting to a new surface, that's going to be another challenge. Hopefully I can do that OK.

"I do all the same recovery stuff as I used to, I just don't have to spend as much time with the recovery stuff because it's obviously improved since the surgery. I just have to monitor it and stay on top of it because it's pretty early stages still. I played my first match only three weeks ago and I've played a lot of tennis since then, so I'm happy with the way it's held up and the rest of my body."
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8902 on: January 25, 2014, 01:05 PM »

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/roger-federer-knew-it-bounced-twice-says-andy-murray-20140123-31blq.html?rand=1390463103466

I can't see it bounced twice, but it's clearly not clear...
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #8903 on: January 25, 2014, 01:50 PM »

I've watched that point twice and I think it is clear. I can sort of understand Federer not seeing it, especially, as he says, he had his eyes closed Whistle, but I don't get why the umpire couldn't see it. To me it is a clear double bounce.

I think Federer knew damned well he'd got away with it and I think the umpire just didn't have the guts to call against him. The way Federer made a fuss about the big screen says it all.

It may well have not made the difference to the result this time, but I think Andy's justified in being fuming about it. I would be.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8904 on: January 27, 2014, 08:11 PM »

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/blogs/the-first-word/andy-murray-s-davis-cup-mistake-1.189761
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #8905 on: January 27, 2014, 08:17 PM »

Trouble is, he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Andy has had a lot of carping aimed his way over not playing DC ties. He doesn't deserve that now.

I just hope the back is okay and the DC environment does Andy good. However much he loves DC I just don't think he would play if he thought the risks were too great.
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Futures Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: News Articles « Reply #8906 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26 PM »

I agree, if the risks were far too great he wouldn't do it.  Although not ideal I believe I know why he wants to play DC - he likes DC, he likes playing for his country (which doesn't happen often in Tennis) the atmosphere is great (from what i've seen on telly).  Also, without him we don't stand a chance against the Americans and he knows it.  I believe THAT is another reason he is playing
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #8907 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27 PM »

Trouble is, he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Andy has had a lot of carping aimed his way over not playing DC ties. He doesn't deserve that now.

I just hope the back is okay and the DC environment does Andy good. However much he loves DC I just don't think he would play if he thought the risks were too great.

Im in 2 minds over this one, I do think its a bit risky given the surface and especially if he plays the 3 days. I must admit im gonba be a bit nervy watching  him play  nervous just hope none of them go more than 3 sets.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #8908 on: January 27, 2014, 08:28 PM »

Quite honestly it isn't US v GB - it's US v Andy Murray and we all know that.  Trust The Courier to say it like it is - a touch of Dundonian realism!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #8909 on: January 27, 2014, 08:33 PM »

Quite honestly it isn't US v GB - it's US v Andy Murray and we all know that.  Trust The Courier to say it like it is - a touch of Dundonian realism!

No its US vs GB last time I checked.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 593 [594] 595 596 597 ... 725 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »