Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 604 [605] 606 607 608 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 465520 times)
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9060 on: February 13, 2014, 11:32 PM »

Onward and upwards I say!

Yup!   Might be a wee call to Sky tomorrow to get the sports package put backon.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #9061 on: February 14, 2014, 02:35 AM »

Having had a look at today's press, all I can say is what a mean-spirited lot the British media are (as if I didn't know that already!), churning out the same story like a load of parrots with varying degrees of negative headlines.

The only breath of fresh air was this from ESPN -

Murray sees off spirited Thiem to book Cilic tie

Andy Murray continued his comeback from back surgery with a hard-fought 6-4 3-6 6-3 victory over Dominic Thiem at the ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam.

In a match which contained several moments of quality, wildcard Murray impressed to take a tight opening set before the Austrian hit back with a flurry of impressive rallies to stun the Brit and level the tie.

Murray was not fazed with the match entering a third set and soon found the all-important break, before completing the win in two hours 21 minutes. The Brit won the tie with arguably the best rally of the match; after exchanging several powerful base-line efforts, Murray floated one to the back of the court before lobbing his opponent's return.

Thiem managed to reach it but again Murray sent his man wide; Thiem's return went long and Murray punched the air to celebrate reaching the quarter-final, where he will now face Marin Cilic.

"It was very tough, he came out with some big, big shots," Murray said in his post-match interview. "I didn't capitalise on my chances in the beginning of the second and that made it very difficult."

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/283139.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9062 on: February 14, 2014, 03:54 AM »

I wonder if his mind was put out of place by that ridiculous story the other day about having to evict those tenants, that would have pissed him right off.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #9063 on: February 14, 2014, 04:49 AM »

I wonder if his mind was put out of place by that ridiculous story the other day about having to evict those tenants, that would have pissed him right off.
Now that you mention it - is the media turning sour on him because of that, hence the negative headlines and their willingness to spout the same garbage?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #9064 on: February 14, 2014, 09:18 AM »

How the **** does the Guardian know what Andy does or doesn't want to reflect on?  It wasn't a pretty match but Andy might have learnt quite a lot from it.  As far as I'm concerned it was good that he was tested like this at this stage of his recovery even it was by a 20 year old who just happens to be a very good, promising player.
actually it was a press association report and I suspect that's what all the press have used as they've not sent correspondents to cover the tournament so that would explain why basically the same story with different headlines in all the papers.  I don't think you can read anything into it and I'd be v surprised if the tennis correspondents had turned against Andy.  I would have expected a fairly critical report but one which acknowledged that Andy still on the road back from recovery and that he was playing an inspired opponent and that he did well to weather the storm. That said it was good to read ESPN put a more positive slant on it and accentuate the positive.
Incidentally, The Guardian seems to have given up on tennis at present - nothing in the pages of the actual paper about Rotterdam and they didn't cover DC properly either.  There have been complaints on line about the poor tennis coverage.  Kevin Mitchell also writes about rugby and boxing and hasn't covered tennis since AO.
The comms on sky were saying that Thiem played more like a top 10 player at times.  That happens sometimes that someone can play an inspired match against a champion who is clearly not playing his best (for good reasons in this case).  I agree Aileen and Westie it's the match practice that counts more than the outcome at this stage so we just have to take the rough with the smooth (and it was ever thus on the roller coaster anyway).
[ Last edit by Ruthie February 14, 2014, 09:25 AM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #9065 on: February 14, 2014, 09:29 AM »

Now that you mention it - is the media turning sour on him because of that, hence the negative headlines and their willingness to spout the same garbage?
  For goodness sake you lot, stop trying to get inside Andy's mind and get rid of this silly persecution complex. Andy came through against a skilful young newbie with nothing to lose - he certainly won't be taking some non-story about his business affairs onto court.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9066 on: February 14, 2014, 04:24 PM »

For goodness sake you lot, stop trying to get inside Andy's mind and get rid of this silly persecution complex. Andy came through against a skilful young newbie with nothing to lose - he certainly won't be taking some non-story about his business affairs onto court.

You're talking about a guy who can get put off his game by a feather.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #9067 on: February 14, 2014, 04:37 PM »

You really don't know that for sure.It could have been lots of things going on.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9068 on: February 14, 2014, 04:50 PM »

It is nobody's business about his business anyway.He has people to take care of those things and I am sure he will not be worrying about such matters. Give the guy a break for heavens sake.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #9069 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31 PM »

Apart from the fact that was something unexpected  that happened at a critical point during a match, there is actually no evidence it had any lasting effect on his mindset.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9070 on: February 14, 2014, 05:58 PM »

duh
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9071 on: February 14, 2014, 05:59 PM »

Moving swiftly on

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10639016/What-price-can-you-put-on-the-chance-to-see-Andy-Murray-win-Wimbledon-again.html

The All England Club is banking on it being one of the hottest sporting tickets in years to come and announced plans to raise £100m to fund redevelopment of its grounds through the sale of debentures.

The debentures, which entitle the holder to one Centre Court ticket for each day of the two-week championship for five years, will go on sale in April. The price has not yet been set, but Andy Murray’s historic men’s singles victory last year is likely to have fuelled demand.

Five years ago, the debentures were sold for £27,750 and raised £60m revenue, but Philip Brook, chairman of the All England Club, said the 2016-2020 debentures could raise as much as £100m, suggesting a 66pc price increase.

Finance director Richard Atkinson said the “general perception of tennis” and public interest in Murray should push up prices. Debenture holders can sell them on and the price of transfer sales has significantly increased, with two recently selling for £90,000 each.

Mr Brook said the improved economic climate would also have an impact: “Looking back, I think you can say, had economic conditions been better last time, the price would have been higher”.

The All England Club will consult Rothschild before setting the price. “What we’re very keen to do is price the debenture issue at a level where our customers want to come back again,” he said, admitting it was unclear whether the strong public interest would outlast the Andy Muray era.

The final price will be announced on 24 April when 2,500 Centre Court debentures go on sale. Holders are “overwhelmingly” UK-based, but the All England Club is also advertising in the US to attract an international audience.

The debenture revenue is intended to fund the “Wimbledon Master Plan”, which was published last year. It outlines a series of renovations, including the installation of a retractable roof and more seats on Court One, the repositioning of championship and practice courts and an entrance plaza.

Debentures, which are sold every five years, are legally considered five year zero coupon debt securities, and can be permanently sold or leased for a set period.

In December 2014, Wimbledon’s market price for the all 13 days of the Wimbledon season was £9,900, while the price for the final Sunday alone was £2,400.

Despite the high price tag for debentures, All England Club said a ground pass ticket would still cost £20 this year, the same price since 2008.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #9072 on: February 15, 2014, 12:22 AM »

^ That's along way away from the days when you could get into a courtside standing area for half price after 5pm, i.e. the equivalent of 12.5p!  But back then my salary was £9 pw and my rent £3.  It really does seem hard to believe, and a bit worrying too, that the value of money has gone up so much in the past forty or so years.  When it will stop escalating I don't care to think.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 15, 2014, 12:26 AM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9073 on: February 15, 2014, 10:10 AM »

More on tickets in the Mail.  The piece also explains some of the questions about where Jamie's been - he has an injury that will leave him out for another month.

It suggests that the club are looking at the moves in football to re-introduce safe standing areas, which if done right, could be a great way to have cheaper access aimed at teenagers and students etc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2559984/Murrays-doubles-resurgence-curtailed-chipped-pelvic-bone-Aussie-Open.html
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9074 on: February 15, 2014, 10:26 AM »

Thought this was interesting - Mark Petchey interested in being T.D. of Queens.
Here's the article - I've only seen it mentioned in The Times so far - so can't just post link:

Mark Petchey keen to take Queen’s tournament job
Mark Petchey, who coached Andy Murray in his formative professional years, who managed men’s tennis at the LTA and who has forged a niche as one of the country’s foremost commentators, is prominent in the running to become the tournament director of the AEGON Championships at Queen’s Club at a key moment in the event’s history.
The need to replace Chris Kermode, who led the team for the pre-Wimbledon event from 2007 until he was appointed executive chairman and president of the ATP World Tour two months ago, is paramount as the LTA, the tournament’s owner, juggles its priorities amid demanding economic times.
Petchey, 43, is scheduled to meet members of the committee that runs the tournament today to express his belief that he is the perfect candidate to front this high-profile June event in the manner of his predecessor.
Kermode mixed operational expertise with an ability to draw a high-quality player field in the face of pressures from the LTA to reduce costs at the same time as the Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Germany, its challenger in the week after the French Open, offered more than generous guarantees to entice the pick of the men’s crop to play there instead.
Petchey’s relationship with Murray, the Wimbledon champion, who has signed to a long-term deal to play at Queen’s, is also an undoubted feather in his cap.
For Michael Downey, the new chief executive of the LTA, the choice of director is crucial. The tournament’s prestige rises next year as it is granted the status of a 500-point ranking event by the ATP (from its present 250), which will mean the tournament director needs to placate Queen’s Club members in the face of demands for increased capacity at the same time as securing the quality of players commensurate with its new standing.
Petchey has a natural charm, a good relationship with the leading players through his time coaching Murray and subsequent commentaries for the BBC and Sky, and is eager for the challenge — though it will undoubtedly lead to compromises elsewhere. “From the moment I knew that Chris was moving on to head the ATP, I told the people involved that I’d be keen to talk about the job,” he said. “I’m serious about it and I believe I could do it well.”
There are other candidates to consider who would be exceptional front men in tandem with the legal and financial experts from the LTA who will work on the fine print of the contract negotiations. It is understood Tim Henman, a former champion at the event, was sounded out, but said he did not have an interest.
Today, alongside Philip Brook, the Wimbledon chairman, Henman will brief financial writers on the new Centre Court debenture issue from 2016-2020, another indication that he is being groomed for a more substantial role at the All England Club.
John Feaver, the former Great Britain Davis Cup player, has tremendous experience and Lee Childs, the professional at the Queen’s Club in London, could be offered an opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Kermode, who was employed as a coach in the 1990s.
There was a suggestion that Ross Hutchins may be seen as a prospective tournament director, but the 28-year-old has insisted that he wants to rebuild his playing career, having successfully fought off Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 604 [605] 606 607 608 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »