Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 1 Member and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 614 [615] 616 617 618 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 507951 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #9210 on: March 05, 2014, 09:26 PM »

I don't know this Gabby person, but I was interested to see what this was all about.

“I remain a massive fan of Andy’s as you can tell from the preamble in the video above. For the sake of transparency, I've uploaded the full clip for you to view and make up your own minds."

http://www.gabbylogan.com/videos/2014/03/05/leeds-trinity-keynote-speech-journalism-week/6167
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #9211 on: March 05, 2014, 09:43 PM »

I could stand up in a room full of people and have a wee jibe at my colleagues, and them at me.  We'd all be big enough to take it and laugh.

I don't really want to get into the discussion on this, but one thing that struck me when reading your post Elly, was that possibly a difference in that situation would be that your colleagues would be there with you- you'd very clearly be laughing with them. Whereas, in a situation like this, with the person or people not there,even if Gabby only ever meant it nicely, in a spirit of let's-laugh-with-them, that can get lost a bit because they're not there,and it can end up coming across as being something a bit different.

I dunno, maybe I'm totally wrong. I'm not going to watch the speech- I'm shattered tired tonight and just don't care enough to summon the energy! Just something that occurred to me when reading people's different points of view. Shrug
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #9212 on: March 06, 2014, 12:23 AM »

I have never been an advocate of cheap laughs at someone else's expense which is exactly what this was.

Exactly my point. Thanks Alis.

Just for the record, I don't really care that much what Andy would think. Andy's a big boy and can take care of himself. I just think it's too easy for certain people in the public eye to open their mouths in the name of a 'joke',  making cheap remarks, and then use the 'out of context' argument.

As much as the Mail is at fault, Gabby Logan knows what the media is like. She might not have meant to be malicious, but she should think before she speaks.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9213 on: March 06, 2014, 07:49 AM »

I'm not the one writing paragraphs on the subject - move on...

I did, but you kept coming back to criticise me, so I kept replying.  I'll move on when you do.  Remember, you were the one who first attacked my comments.  Since then, I've been defending myself.

I'm sorry if being articulate and giving reasons to back up my opinion bothers you.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #9214 on: March 06, 2014, 08:26 AM »

Funny thing is I bet Andy didn't mind her comments at all, and he probably laughed at them himself.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #9215 on: March 06, 2014, 08:44 AM »

Funny thing is I bet Andy didn't mind her comments at all, and he probably laughed at them himself.

Maybe, maybe not - we don't know.
But the Mail article has prompted over 1200 comments from people who do, and who have reacted in a variety of ways and who aren't just laughing them off. (ok Mail readers). But the issue has now spread to other press - and who can say how much this sort of negativity affects public perceptions, influences sponsors etc.

It was a cheap throw-away comment which has just grown - and we all know what can happen to  those. Gabby Logan should have known better.

Edit: Andy was really down and disappointed straight after that match - he was so up for it, and they just missed out. An example that any top sportsman would have felt the same - rather than for a personal dig.   
[ Last edit by matchpoint March 06, 2014, 08:54 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #9216 on: March 06, 2014, 08:54 AM »

^ I think we know that throwaway comments in the press really can have a bearing on public perceptions. Look at what Andy went through for years on the basis of one comment that the press twisted to suit themselves. The difference is that Andy was young at the time and hadn't really experienced how the press work. Gabby Logan is allegedly a mature woman and should have known better.

As I said before, I don't really care what Andy would think, even if he was to be rolling around the floor laughing. I just don't think getting cheap laughs at the expense of others is remotely funny.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9217 on: March 06, 2014, 09:44 AM »

I've looked at the clip and it is probably wrong to judge on such a short extract but I will anyway. It strikes me as a suitable talk from a journalist to budding journalists.    Rubbish spouted for the effect from an empty-headed, silly woman.   Just what they will need for their future careers.     
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #9218 on: March 06, 2014, 09:45 AM »

I am sure Andy can care for himself.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #9219 on: March 06, 2014, 11:34 AM »

I think this just goes to show that people in the public eye have to be so careful about what they say. When Gabby gave the talk in front of the students, the last thing she would've been expecting was the Daily Mail to pick up on the story and to use it for their own negative agenda.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #9220 on: March 06, 2014, 12:58 PM »

I am sure Andy will not be bothered, he has been called a lot worse. Gaby Logan should be more considered in what she says. Look at all the rubbish Andy has had to put up with previously before winning a the Olympics, US Open and Wimbledon. She clearly does not know Andy well and that is her problem not Andy's.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Articles « Reply #9221 on: March 06, 2014, 01:51 PM »

Now look at that video, Gabby smirks when she says it, and she looks awfully excited, so it confirms to me that she was saying it in a playful way rather than a scorning.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #9222 on: March 06, 2014, 02:26 PM »

Now look at that video, Gabby smirks when she says it, and she looks awfully excited, so it confirms to me that she was saying it in a playful way rather than a scorning.

See, anybody would definitely smirk when they say such a thing. Not taking anyone's sides here but I just think she shouldn't have said it at all.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Articles « Reply #9223 on: March 06, 2014, 02:47 PM »

I have a different take on this. I think what Gabby said is more to do with a lack of understanding of tennis players.

In tennis, if you don't win, runner-up is nowhere. Whereas, in the Olympics, bronze and silver medals are somehow seen as being of practically equal merit to a gold. Which I've never understood.

So, maybe Andy looked miserable at the Olympics because of that.

In any case, she clearly said it jokingly and the context in the video clarifies that he was only a 'miserable *******' at the Olympics.
IP Logged
RD

Re: News Articles « Reply #9224 on: March 06, 2014, 05:45 PM »

Logan's disgusting remarks shouldn't be just written off as a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny, this wasn't. Not at all. It was pure nastiness from a two faced bully, who should have been reprimanded by the BBC years ago.
[ Last edit by RD March 06, 2014, 05:49 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 614 [615] 616 617 618 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »