Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 717 [718] 719 720 721 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 507888 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Articles « Reply #10755 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41 AM »

You don't get any good preparation from an exho event, where everyone just plays stupidly, hitting drop shots, lobs, moonballs etc. the whole match.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #10756 on: August 12, 2014, 11:45 AM »

Call me crazy but maybe, maybe taking into account his commitment to the IPTL (?) he doesn't want to over do it before the first slam of the year with too much exertion. Hopman cop maybe perfect just to get into a bit of rhythm without being too dogid.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #10757 on: August 12, 2014, 11:56 AM »

There are different sorts of exhos, and the Hopman Cup is one that the players take fairly seriously.  They won't risk serious injury, but they wouldn't in a 250 just before a slam either.  You can also be sure that the tournament director's nephew isn't given a wildcard.
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #10758 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30 PM »

I would not presume to advise Andy on how he should prepare for the Australian Open, but his reasons for choosing the Hopman Cup sound good to me. Connor compares it to "an exho event, where everyone just plays stupidly, hitting drop shots, lobs, moonballs etc. the whole match." That does not remind me of the Hopman Cup at all.  As Andy says, he will have guaranteed matches and good chances to practice his play at the net.

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #10759 on: August 12, 2014, 04:32 PM »

Hes certainly not "running scared!!"  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
batz

Re: News Articles « Reply #10760 on: August 12, 2014, 06:22 PM »

You don't get any good preparation from an exho event, where everyone just plays stupidly, hitting drop shots, lobs, moonballs etc. the whole match.

That must be why Andy performed so badly at the AO the previous 2 times he played Hopman Cup in 2010 and 2011. 

Oh wait.
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #10761 on: August 12, 2014, 06:32 PM »

That must be why Andy performed so badly at the AO the previous 2 times he played Hopman Cup in 2010 and 2011.  

Oh wait.

goodjob
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #10762 on: August 12, 2014, 06:57 PM »

I think it's a great idea as it guarantees him 3 singles and 3 doubles matches as Sparkle said. A great way to sharpen up his game and get used to conditions. Certainly not running scared - after all, he could get beaten 6 times (not that I expect him to!!!) so you can't say he isn't putting himself on the line.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #10763 on: August 16, 2014, 11:29 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/aug/16/andy-murray-needs-a-new-york-state-of-mind-to-spark-revival-at-us-open
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #10764 on: August 17, 2014, 07:17 PM »

I don't get Petko's random tweet about Andy? Is it in response to something or....

RT @andreapetkovic: Andy 'cheekbones' Murray
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #10765 on: August 17, 2014, 09:23 PM »

Call me crazy but maybe, maybe taking into account his commitment to the IPTL (?) he doesn't want to over do it before the first slam of the year with too much exertion. Hopman cop maybe perfect just to get into a bit of rhythm without being too dogid.
Trouble is it isn't clear just how much of the ITPL he's taking part in, but it could just be Manilla, as he said originally he wouldn't do anything to interrupt his Miami training too much.

Also the Hopman Cup seems a good idea to me - competitive yet fairly relaxed and Andy has always enjoyed playing it.

Yet another pundit writing Andy off.  Doesn't he know by now that you NEVER under-estimate Murray!  Never mind, though, it should suit him nicely going into this as an underdog, and he tends to do better over best of fives anyway if he's struggling a little because there's more room for manoeuvre, and it means he can 'play his way in' to matches as well.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #10766 on: August 20, 2014, 12:17 AM »

Good interview Andy gave with Kevin Mitchell, here.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/aug/19/andy-murray-us-open?CMP=twt_gu
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #10767 on: August 20, 2014, 02:16 AM »

Yes, very good and one which has cleared up a few things as well, but I still maintain that Andy could benefit from seeking a little help from a psychologist.  OK, so we've been down this road before, but we do know that he did consult one recommended by Lendl (a lady who had helped him overcome one or two difficulties) and said that he had found the experience useful.  For all I know though Andy might already have done this, but I get the instinctive feeling from what he's saying in that article that this hasn't been the case.

In this respect I'd like to think that Andy watched Sir Chris Hoy's excellent documentary "How to win gold" because Sir Chris had no hesitation in seeing one, mainly to help him focus better and overcome the nervousness he felt the nearer he got to winning major events, particularly championships, because he was so desperate to win them that he feared losing them.  Basically this psychologist taught him, in a very simple manner, how to 'compartmentalise' his thoughts, a process which also included stopping unnecessary extraneous thoughts from creeping in in moments of stress and so diverting his focus. 
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #10768 on: August 20, 2014, 08:41 AM »

Yes very interesting, and worth mentioning again so that it replaces "song title game" on murraysworld's front page for the benefit of readers who only access the forum by that route.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #10769 on: August 20, 2014, 10:30 AM »

Yes, very good and one which has cleared up a few things as well, but I still maintain that Andy could benefit from seeking a little help from a psychologist.  OK, so we've been down this road before, but we do know that he did consult one recommended by Lendl (a lady who had helped him overcome one or two difficulties) and said that he had found the experience useful.  For all I know though Andy might already have done this, but I get the instinctive feeling from what he's saying in that article that this hasn't been the case.

In this respect I'd like to think that Andy watched Sir Chris Hoy's excellent documentary "How to win gold" because Sir Chris had no hesitation in seeing one, mainly to help him focus better and overcome the nervousness he felt the nearer he got to winning major events, particularly championships, because he was so desperate to win them that he feared losing them.  Basically this psychologist taught him, in a very simple manner, how to 'compartmentalise' his thoughts, a process which also included stopping unnecessary extraneous thoughts from creeping in in moments of stress and so diverting his focus. 

Hey Aileen, watching that documentary made me think the same thing, that Andy too should invest in seeing someone who can help him train his mind in this way. It'll do him the world of good on court and off as-well.

From what a colleague has told me, the psychologist to the British cycling team has worked wonders with them.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 717 [718] 719 720 721 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »