Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 ... 713 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 414211 times)
michelle
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #2565 on: January 31, 2012, 08:20 AM »

No I don't agree with this assessment Emma.
Novak and DelPo didn't break through at 21, rather they were in the right place at the right time and had the balls & ability to take their chances, but afterwards they promptly fell back. Rather than become dominant as Lendl did, and was beginning to actually before the FO, both suffered dips post their first slam wins indicating that they still had quite a ways to go before taking full flight. Alright Delpo got injured but I just don't believe that he was going to go on as a multiple slam winner. He hasn't even won a masters yet!
Novak only truly came of age at the start of last year. A full two years after his maiden slam on nearly the 8th year on the tour & after a very bumpy ride where he was regularly being written off or patronised on TV by various "experts". Which is a 7 year process, not 3 to 5. I believe this will be the new norm post Fedal, and is supported by the fact that among other things there are only 2 soon not to be teenagers in the top 100. And one of them, Tomic, might actually be 21.
Look also at an 'up and coming' player like Dolgopolov who is now 23 with only one 500 title to his name. This is the new norm as the tour has become much more physical & deeper in quality throughout the top 50 or 100 even. This has recently been noted by Lendl himself who probably got the ball rolling in this direction, & many, many others. The idea for example, that someone like Becker could tear through Wimbledon at 17 and win it now, and then win it again the next year is absolutely unthinkable. Don't believe it? Then may I direct you to last Sundays AO final. It only seems as if Murray shall be the "exception"if he starts winning slams during his 8th or 9th year on the tour but that is to make a rather cursory assessment not taking into account the brutal realities of the present situation and what is now demanded of players right now compared to previous eras. I would in fact say that this shall be the new norm going on and all of the indicators point to this. The wider curve is moving upwards. In retrospect Murray wont be seen as anomalous at all. Nevertheless the real problem for Andy now is that he's still got to improve in a number of areas regardless of the stats, his age etc if he wants to win slams. And yes he really needs to get a move on after all the wasted time, but I'm more confident he will after observing his behaviour over the last 4 months than I was, say a year ago. He's a much better player now and is knocking on Nadal and Novak's door, and as others have also noted, he can still improve further than they can.
Totally agree with you. It's easy to be an armchair critic and we have so many of those that I wish they would spend a little more time criticising themselves, but I doubt they will.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Articles « Reply #2566 on: January 31, 2012, 09:19 AM »

Me too, Bev  blink

Yeah, nearly made me drop my Charles and Diana commemorative mug and spill dandelion and burdock all over my KFC and OK! magazine.  Luckily I was able to settle down with an episode of the Kardashians on E! and Don't Tell the Bride on Living :p

Anyway, back to the tennis.  Possibility of having a whole week at the tennis next year and getting tickets to be in Melbourne Park for the men's final (can't stretch to tickets in RLA aswell).  That would mean I will be there to cheer our man on! cmonandy
[ Last edit by Bevc January 31, 2012, 10:21 AM ] IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: News Articles « Reply #2567 on: January 31, 2012, 10:21 AM »

No I don't agree with this assessment Emma.
Novak and DelPo didn't break through at 21, rather they were in the right place at the right time and had the balls & ability to take their chances, but afterwards they promptly fell back. Rather than become dominant as Lendl did, and was beginning to actually before the FO, both suffered dips post their first slam wins indicating that they still had quite a ways to go before taking full flight. Alright Delpo got injured but I just don't believe that he was going to go on as a multiple slam winner. He hasn't even won a masters yet!
Novak only truly came of age at the start of last year. A full two years after his maiden slam on nearly the 8th year on the tour & after a very bumpy ride where he was regularly being written off or patronised on TV by various "experts". Which is a 7 year process, not 3 to 5. I believe this will be the new norm post Fedal, and is supported by the fact that among other things there are only 2 soon not to be teenagers in the top 100. And one of them, Tomic, might actually be 21.
Look also at an 'up and coming' player like Dolgopolov who is now 23 with only one 500 title to his name. This is the new norm as the tour has become much more physical & deeper in quality throughout the top 50 or 100 even. This has recently been noted by Lendl himself who probably got the ball rolling in this direction, & many, many others. The idea for example, that someone like Becker could tear through Wimbledon at 17 and win it now, and then win it again the next year is absolutely unthinkable. Don't believe it? Then may I direct you to last Sundays AO final. It only seems as if Murray shall be the "exception"if he starts winning slams during his 8th or 9th year on the tour but that is to make a rather cursory assessment not taking into account the brutal realities of the present situation and what is now demanded of players right now compared to previous eras. I would in fact say that this shall be the new norm going on and all of the indicators point to this. The wider curve is moving upwards. In retrospect Murray wont be seen as anomalous at all. Nevertheless the real problem for Andy now is that he's still got to improve in a number of areas regardless of the stats, his age etc if he wants to win slams. And yes he really needs to get a move on after all the wasted time, but I'm more confident he will after observing his behaviour over the last 4 months than I was, say a year ago. He's a much better player now and is knocking on Nadal and Novak's door, and as others have also noted, he can still improve further than they can.
Good posting!
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: News Articles « Reply #2568 on: January 31, 2012, 10:28 AM »

There are certainly different ways of measuring a player’s success, comparatively speaking, either at a given age and/or era. To me, there’s no doubt that with passing years we have seen tennis evolution, so to speak, boundaries are changing as are players achievements.

Clearly the age for winning majors today is very different to that of 30 yrs ago. Look at the achievements of Björn Borg in the 70’s - 80’s. Still only 17 yrs when he won the Italian Championship, and became the youngest French Champ. too, at 18 yrs,soon to be surpassed by Mats Wilander of 17yrs. Okay then, but Nadal did win his first French Open, at 19 yrs. (2005), so there are some exceptions to the rule. Borg was also the youngest, at 20 yrs (1976) to win Wimbledon, until he was surpassed by Boris Becker who won at the tender of 17yrs.
Is Andy (and his peers) over the hill at 24-25 yrs? I don’t think so. Will we see the likes of the record breaking babes of the 70’s and 80’s again? We might, who knows, but there’s no sign of that happening at the moment. However, Andy should get his skates on though not only for himself and his fans but wouldnt it be great if he could quickly now stick a sock in the mouths of his main critics and hecklers?
 yay cmon yeah
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: News Articles « Reply #2569 on: January 31, 2012, 10:33 AM »

Yeah, nearly made me drop my Charles and Diana commemorative mug and spill dandelion and burdock all over my KFC and OK! magazine.  Luckily I was able to settle down with an episode of the Kardashians on E! and Don't Tell the Bride on Living :p

Anyway, back to the tennis.  Possibility of having a whole week at the tennis next year and getting tickets to be in Melbourne Park for the men's final (can't stretch to tickets in RLA aswell).  That would mean I will be there to cheer our man on! cmonandy
Can you buy Dandelion and Burdock in NZ? You jammy bu*ger, you. Some things I miss living outside the UK, no Peppermint Aeros, Tizer or Lancashire cheese!
Surprised you're on D & B and not the Irn Bru, lassie!! Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Articles « Reply #2570 on: January 31, 2012, 10:48 AM »

I'm sure that you can get all of those - cost's you like! I think a can of D & B is about $3.50.  Actually, the cheese is a no  Could get Cheshire but haven't seen any for a few years now.  We have mild, tasty, cheddar, colby or edam.  You can get speciality ones too but the ones I listed are your standard cheeses.  It's the tea bags that I miss most.  We can get them here but range from about $8-$12 for a box/bag of 40 and you see the UK prices on them Crying or Very sad

Anyway, seen a couple of articles suggesting that Andy won't take part in the Davis Cup next week - back niggles.  Time for the other players to step up.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis-news/2012/01/31/andy-murray-to-sit-out-davis-cup-tie-in-glasgow-following-australian-open-exertions-86908-23728177/
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: News Articles « Reply #2571 on: January 31, 2012, 11:01 AM »

Anyway, seen a couple of articles suggesting that Andy won't take part in the Davis Cup next week - back niggles.  Time for the other players to step up.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis-news/2012/01/31/andy-murray-to-sit-out-davis-cup-tie-in-glasgow-following-australian-open-exertions-86908-23728177/

Looks like Barclays Dubai is still on the cards, re. your article: "Murray, who will return to action at the Dubai Championships on February 27th."

I love Twinings Earl Grey tea and can buy that here, for an arm and a leg like of course. It's the wine prices that's the killer in Norway, so I envy you in NZ with your lovely Marlborough whites, Twin Islands, Sauv. Blancs etc. Mr. Green
Being an Andy fan I need a steady supply  w00t Not unlike yourself, my dear. hug
IP Logged
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #2572 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25 PM »

Totally agree with you. It's easy to be an armchair critic and we have so many of those that I wish they would spend a little more time criticising themselves, but I doubt they will.

As far as I'm aware its not against the law to express your opinion on this site.  You may not agree with it but that is your perogative.   Not everyone blindly follows Andy and everyone on this site is a fan and can't wait for him to win a slam but there is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion other than the fact that everything Andy does is wonderful and if you don't subscribe to that you have to get slapped down.

All Emma was doing was expressing an opinion and theycanbillme responded in kind. That's called a debate so lighten up and stop trying to make the fans who don't agree with your views traitors to the cause.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #2573 on: January 31, 2012, 03:20 PM »

As far as I'm aware its not against the law to express your opinion on this site.  You may not agree with it but that is your perogative.   Not everyone blindly follows Andy and everyone on this site is a fan and can't wait for him to win a slam but there is nothing wrong with expressing an opinion other than the fact that everything Andy does is wonderful and if you don't subscribe to that you have to get slapped down.

All Emma was doing was expressing an opinion and theycanbillme responded in kind. That's called a debate so lighten up and stop trying to make the fans who don't agree with your views traitors to the cause.
That was my opinion! I  don't understand you .... where did traitors to the cause come from?
IP Logged
sengamac
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #2574 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08 PM »

"It's easy to be an armchair critic AND WE HAVE SO MANY OF THOSE THAT I WISH THEY WOULD SPEND A LITTLE MORE TIME CRITICISING THEMSELVES, BUT I DOUBT THEY WILL"

This remark.   Why should they criticise themselves?  They are fans of Andy who are saying what they think and to me that remark meant they were not welcome as in your opinion they are not true fans.    If my interpretation of that is wrong then I apologise but that's how it came across to me.

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #2575 on: January 31, 2012, 07:37 PM »

Yeah, nearly made me drop my Charles and Diana commemorative mug and spill dandelion and burdock ....

Anyway, back to the tennis.  Possibility of having a whole week at the tennis next year and getting tickets to be in Melbourne Park for the men's final (can't stretch to tickets in RLA aswell).  That would mean I will be there to cheer our man on! cmonandy

HaHa... I've got a few Charles/Di memorabilia too..
We can buy Brit food here, but the mark-up is atrocious.  We have a good local Scottish butcher, so had our haggis on 25th ... do this every year.
Hope it works out for the tickets.. lucky you!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #2576 on: January 31, 2012, 07:45 PM »

Nice article:
http://www.10sballs.com/2012/01/31/why-a-semi-final-defeat-heralded-the-best-ever-era-in-men%E2%80%99s-tennis/
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #2577 on: January 31, 2012, 09:00 PM »

Thanks. I enjoyed reading this article.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #2578 on: January 31, 2012, 09:39 PM »

Tv just reported that they have called of any further search on the Concordia,still 17 bodies will not be recovered.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #2579 on: February 01, 2012, 08:13 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/9052977/Fed-Cup-captain-Judy-Murray-puts-focus-on-fun-in-turning-Great-Britains-fortunes-around.html

“Everybody has told me since how fantastic he was. I had a really nice email from Ivan Lendl saying he was so proud of Andy’s effort and of how he’d fought.

“Ivan’s had a great impact already and it’s great for Andy to have someone with his leadership and direction, a voice of experience who knows what it’s like to be in that situation.

“It’s a tremendous, positive start to the year for them and I feel really good about that. And for me? Well, this is the start of something different, something really enjoyable too.”

“Anybody who knows me I think knows I have a good sense of fun and perspective about tennis and always have through Andy and Jamie’s career.

“I certainly don’t think I’m the parent from hell — and I’m sure the boys would say I wasn’t as well. You have to be firm and disciplined but you can get a lot of messages through to players through fun.”
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 ... 713 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »