Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 4 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 ... 720 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 426114 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3600 on: October 02, 2012, 11:27 AM »

thanks for the great articles dani.  
Surprised that Andy playing Abu Dhabi as I thought he'd be focusing on his Brisbane title.  Do hope he won't be overdoing it in run up to AO and that he'll allow himself a proper rest before he starts training again for new season
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3601 on: October 02, 2012, 02:31 PM »

They've got longer off this year though, so that should help.
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3602 on: October 02, 2012, 02:57 PM »

I liked this article: http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/murray-overcomes-17-aces-karlovic-tokyo-win/39630/#.UGrwtkI2e-V  - in particular this comment stood out for me:

Murray said his priorities have changed following his first Grand Slam victory.

"I have reset my goals," he said. "Winning a Grand Slam was so important to me that I was often focusing on the next Grand Slam rather than the next match or tournament. That is going to be different now."

That's fantastic and a real future World Number 1's attitude.  It also confirms what many suspected - that of course the Slams had to be the priority until Andy won one, so all the hand-wringing about losses in the remainder of the tour is unfounded.  He's picked out consistency as the key to making it to #1, and adjusted his goals to make that happen.  Feeling tremendously positive here, and the rest of the tour had better watch out - Andy means business! Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #3603 on: October 02, 2012, 03:54 PM »

I liked this article: http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/10/murray-overcomes-17-aces-karlovic-tokyo-win/39630/#.UGrwtkI2e-V  - in particular this comment stood out for me:

That's fantastic and a real future World Number 1's attitude.  It also confirms what many suspected - that of course the Slams had to be the priority until Andy won one, so all the hand-wringing about losses in the remainder of the tour is unfounded.  He's picked out consistency as the key to making it to #1, and adjusted his goals to make that happen.  Feeling tremendously positive here, and the rest of the tour had better watch out - Andy means business! Smile

It's a good piece. They did get one thing a little wrong though. Andy beat Karlovic in the second round at Wimbledon, not the first. In the first he flattened Davydenko.

I agree with your view on Andy's comment though, it is fantastic, and very positive.

It seemed clear that his priority was to get over the slam winning obstacle. Now he has, and it feels as if all sorts of doors are open to him now. I don't know about anyone else, but it almost feels to me as if he's started his career again, as of the USO win, or at least that it is the start of a new phase. I think it's exciting, both for him and us.

It's funny, watching the WTA just now, the rotten Simon Reed mentioned Andy whilst Azarenka and Lisicki were playing. He was talking about players having intensity, and talking about Azarenka being a good example of someone who has it. Then he mentioned Andy and my ears pricked up. He said he wonders if Andy will lose his intensity now he has won a major. Well Mr. Reed, it doesn't sound like it to me!

Going back to Andy and this piece though, I was slightly concerned about the mention of his back. He seemed positive enough about it, saying it was all right now, so I'm going to trust that it is.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #3604 on: October 02, 2012, 05:30 PM »

Thought this was also a good article on the match.It has similar quotes from Andy about the grand slams taking priority,although they're slightly different.He also says his back felt fine by the end Teejay,which is good news Very Happy

Andy Murray makes winning return in first match since US Open triumph
• Scot begins Japan Open title defence by beating Ivo Karlovic
• World No3 withstood 17 aces in 7-6, 6-4 victory

If Andy Murray was looking for a gentle return to top-flight tennis after winning the US Open, the Tokyo seaside took a while to oblige. The Scot struggled to find his rhythm in the opening set of his first-round match against Ivo Karlovic at the Japan Open on Tuesday , but eventually found his form to secure a solid, if unspectacular 7-6, 6-4 victory.

Murray had had to contend with last-minute complications following the withdrawal of Gaël Monfils with an injury to his right knee. The absence of the Frenchman, a former world No7 who has caused Murray problems in the past, presented an opportunity for Karlovic, a lucky loser from qualifying, to avenge his defeat by the Scot in the second round at Wimbledon this summer.

Murray must have been grateful that the humidity that blanketed the Japanese capital after its brush with Typhoon Jelawat on Sunday had given way to a comfortable pleasant breeze when he stepped on to centre court at Ariake Coliseum.

But in his first appearance since he broke Britain's 76-year men's grand slam drought against Novak Djokovic at Flushing Meadows in September, he initially struggled to deal with Karlovic's serve, and failed to capitalise on break points in the first and seventh games of the set.

"Playing against him you know it is going to be uncomfortable," Murray said after looking a little tired at times defeating the 6ft 10in Croat. "He is a tricky player.

"Mentally I feel OK. It's always hard coming into your first match after a few weeks of not playing, and my opponent made it tougher still. But I came back [into the match] when I needed to. I'm pleased with how I feel physically, even if my body might be a little bit stiff."

The latter stages of the first set had failed to produce anything approaching a rally as both players doggedly held serve. The crowd, perhaps still recuperating after Japan's new men's singles hope, Kei Nishikori had beaten his compatriot Go Soeda in three sets in the previous match on centre court, summoned polite applause, but little in the way of encouragement.

Murray, though, galvanised by the perceived injustice of a couple of questionable line calls, discovered a serve of a length and pace that began to trouble his opponent. Still, Karlovic came close to trading in his lucky-loser status for one as deserved winner with a string of aces, although Murray responded in kind with three consecutive aces in the eighth game to level at 4-4.

Murray's frustration occasionally bubbled to the surface, and a weak return into the net produced the world No3's first audible self-admonishment. The tiebreaker looked to be slipping away at 7-6 to Karlovic. Encouraged by the crowd, Murray saved a set point and then completed his comeback with a passing forehand down the line that revived memories of him at his scintillating best in the summer.

Tokyo, after all, was the world's first opportunity to examine Murray's physical state after a three-week break following his US Open triumph, and gauge any effect the end of his hunt for a grand slam title had had on his mental game.

The 25-year-old conceded his recent success had brought with it a different kind of expectation in Tokyo. "Maybe there is a bit more pressure," Murray said. "During the year there have been certain matches in which I haven't done myself justice, so I felt after the US Open that it was time to reset some goals.

"I don't want to say I was obsessed with grand slams, but winning one was so important that I was always looking ahead and bolting on to the next grand slam. Now I hope I can concentrate better throughout the year and not take my eye off the ball in any of the tournaments I play in."

With a difficult first opponent dispatched, he will test that new approach again on Wednesday as he continues his defence of the title he won last year against the Slovakian, Lukas Lacko, in the second round.

Although Murray did receive treatment on his back and took a short medical break at the end of the first set, he insisted it was nothing more than a twinge. "My back jarred a little bit, but it can happen when you start playing matches again after some time off," he said. "I took a time-out at the end of the first set but it felt fine by the middle of the second set."

That second set had begun in much the same way as the first, with both players holding serve until the tenth game. Murray, though, had returned to the court not just with a fresh shirt, but also with a renewed purpose.

Having withstood 17 aces, he ended Karlovic's resistance when he found himself with three match points. Karlovic rescued two of them, but sent a forehand long to give the Scot a more comfortable victory than had seemed possible barely half an hour before.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/02/andy-murray-japan-us-open
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3605 on: October 02, 2012, 05:43 PM »

It's really good to read how Andy has rethought his goals post-USO.   Rather worried though by the back twinge.  I just hope it doesn't mean the injections are wearing off and the underlying problem reasserting itself.  Of course he'll shrug it off as he usually does but he really needs to be as fit as possible until after WTF.
Nice bit of humour in his press conference when after the interpreter had interpreted his first answer he asked, with a laugh, whether his answers are really that long.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3606 on: October 02, 2012, 07:03 PM »

@xxdanixx
Thanx very much for that match report. Playing Ivo is always tricky and to have to do it, first time out is even worse.
I too hope his back is OK. But Ruthie, injections he may have had for the USOpen wouldn't surely have lasted this long, would they?
And do we know he was having them  then anyway?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3607 on: October 02, 2012, 07:04 PM »

@xxdanixx
Thanx very much for that match report. Playing Ivo is always tricky and to have to do it, first time out is even worse.
I too hope his back is OK. But Ruthie, injections he may have had for the USOpen wouldn't surely have lasted this long, would they?
And do we know he was having them  then anyway?
I thought he said at time of Queens that he'd had cortisone injections that should last until after USO bbh.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3608 on: October 02, 2012, 07:07 PM »

OK Ruthie. Have no idea how long they're meant to last...having been spared so far....Wink In which case you may well be right and they have started to wear off Frown
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3609 on: October 02, 2012, 07:08 PM »

Yes I seem to remember him saying he was hoping they'd last until he could give it some real treatment and rest until the off season ie after WTF.   So fingers crossed eh bbh.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3610 on: October 02, 2012, 07:10 PM »

Everything possible is crossed as far as Andy is concerned, Ruthie, and damn painful it is...Wink
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3611 on: October 02, 2012, 07:41 PM »

I just hope that his toe nails are doing ok, as that can lead to trouble as well!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3612 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04 AM »

Losing a toe nail isn't such a big deal ChrisM though it does take ages to regrow.
Here's an interesting interview with Andy in today's Independent.  He says he felt he didn't play his best at USO (I thought that too) but that he played smart and was using change of ends to think through how to deal with things.  And that at the end he was so in the zone he didn't really know what was happening.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/andy-murray-exclusive-i-now-know-what-it-takes-8194667.html

Elsewhere it says Andy still jet lagged and usually sleeping at the time he was on court yesterday - I think he needs to get some advice as to how to deal with jetlag.  I find homeopathic remedies can be helpful.
Also it says AO have increased their prize money to avert a boycott.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #3613 on: October 03, 2012, 09:09 AM »

Great interview Ruthie! It shows just how much Andy has changed from a 'mental' point of view! Thanks for that! Did Paul Newman write that disgusting article? Nah.........surely not!  nah
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3614 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13 AM »

Glad you liked it Caz.  I don't for a moment think PN wrote that other article - just not his style.  When Andy does really well other writers get in on the act not just the tennis correspondents.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 240 [241] 242 243 244 ... 720 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »