Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 241 [242] 243 244 245 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 506176 times)
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #3615 on: October 03, 2012, 02:14 PM »

Murray Not as much self-convidence after winning USO as I had hoped before...

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/tennis/13022839/__Murray_moet_doelen_bijstellen__.html

In English...(thanks to googletranslate..)

Murray aims to adjust

From our Telesport Editorial
TOKYO - Andy Murray booked in Tokyo with his comeback victory, he defeated Ivo Karlovic service gun. The British tennis player came since winning the U.S. Open in early September not in action. Murray admitted after his victory in Tokyo that he needed time to adjust his goals. "My dream was always a grand slam tournament. Now that I have achieved, I have other goals."

"I would not say I was obsessed with winning a grand slam title, but it was so important to me, that I have not always responsible behavior," explains Murray from. "Over the years, I myself do not always do justice. I was just focused on the Grand Slam tournaments and not the other races around the 'majors'. After winning the U.S. Open, I found that I again had to look for myself."
Murray hopes to continue to improve themselves. "I'd better stay focused and so my base level boost, so I every game during the season can show my top level."
self-confidence
Yet the grand slam title he spent less than hoped. "I felt no different today when I on track stepped. Hopefully that will change. If I'm more'm realizing that I grand slam tournaments can win, then that will help me during the tournament. Then I start a game with more confidence."
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #3616 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55 PM »

Murray Not as much self-convidence after winning USO as I had hoped before...

With respect, that translation doesn't do justice to what Andy said. His confidence now is obvious. He's never going to say he's going to start winning everything now, but it's clear he has goals that he believes in.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3617 on: October 03, 2012, 03:37 PM »

With respect, that translation doesn't do justice to what Andy said. His confidence now is obvious. He's never going to say he's going to start winning everything now, but it's clear he has goals that he believes in.
I fear googletranslate is a joke. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3618 on: October 03, 2012, 03:43 PM »

I fear googletranslate is a joke. 

I've used it to be honest. I don't think I'll bother.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3619 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17 PM »

Don't blame google translate, If this is not the right translation, its a mistake from the Dutch journalist. In the  Dutch article Andy says that he did not feel different at the beginning of the match (not more confidence). And then: Hopefully that will change...

The first part of the interview is the same as the BBC version. Did anyone see the last part in an English version?

I mean this part:

Yet the grand slam title he spent less than hoped. "I felt no different today when I on track stepped. Hopefully that will change. If I'm more'm realizing that I grand slam tournaments can win, then that will help me during the tournament. Then I start a game with more confidence."
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #3620 on: October 04, 2012, 10:18 AM »

Nadal: 'Fantastic' Murray has got it all

Rafael Nadal believes Andy Murray's first grand slam title, achieved at the recent US Open, is not only a sign of more to come but also of the Brit's greater maturity.

Nadal is currently out of action with a knee injury, which forced his withdrawal from the US Open, and he had to watch on as Murray claimed his maiden major with victory over Novak Djokovic at Flushing Meadows.

"I think everybody knew he would win a grand slam, he's worked hard and has been pushing hard for many years at the top and he has achieved a reward for that," 11-time grand slam winner Nadal told ESPN of Murray's achievement.

Murray is currently attempting to defend his Japan Open title, which he won when beating Nadal in the final last year. He beat Lukas Lacko to reach the quarter-finals on Wednesday and will face Stanislas Wawrinka in the last eight.

Nadal heralded the Scot's tougher mental approach and improved consistency, both aspects that had been questioned prior to his US success. The Spaniard also praised Murray's all-round game which Nadal says makes him such a hard opponent to face.

"Andy's a very complete player all round. It's hard for me to speak about any specific area of his game which is particularly hard to face. He basically has it all, a great serve, backhand, forehand, he's fast, and he's a fantastic player all round.

"In recent years he's become a bit more consistent which is something you find with time, and he's one of the best in the world."

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/171680.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3621 on: October 04, 2012, 10:42 AM »

Nadal: 'Fantastic' Murray has got it all

Nice to read that generous assessment from Rafa.  
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3622 on: October 04, 2012, 12:31 PM »

I read the comments Rafa made, and they pleased me no end. I think if a player who has achieved what Rafa has can see the changes in Andy, it speaks volumes. I did wonder if to a point the comments were Rafa playing head games, but I honestly don't think he is the type, not off court.

I think it is a generous, and more to the point, accurate, assessment of Andy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3623 on: October 04, 2012, 01:22 PM »

No he doesn't play mind games with Andy the way smugfed does.  He does tend to try to reduce expectations of himself before a tournament/match but he's always been v supportive of Andy and has said for some time he deserves to win a GS.   I think there's a genuine  friendship between them even if they're not close buddies.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3624 on: October 05, 2012, 08:43 AM »

The New, Cool Andy Murray: Britain’s Shy Sports Celebrity

Great Scot! After what seems like weeks and weeks of reading about Andy Murray's exploits off the tennis court since his victory at the US Open, he's back in action this week to defend his Japan Open title in Tokyo. Andy takes on Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka in the singles quarterfinals on Friday, and he's also looking to defend his doubles title, playing with his brother, Jamie.

It may seem a long time since we watched Andy sink to his knees in disbelief when Novak Djokovic hit it long on match point at Flushing Meadows, but the three weeks or so between the US hard court season and the ATP's Asian swing is pretty normal. It's just that this time around, instead of resting and playing PlayStation, Andy has been hanging out with fashion designers and sitting through interviews with the world press — not to mention mingling with the entire population of his hometown as everyone wants a piece of the poor guy.

Usain Bolt, who describes himself as the most gifted athlete on the planet in his Twitter profile, loves and thrives on media attention. Andy — not so much. His Twitter profile reads, simply: "I play Tennis."

It is a well-known fact across the pro tennis circuit that Andy Murray is a shy man. A non-drinker, historically he would rather spend time with his buddies figuring out their fantasy soccer teams (Andy is defending champion in that, too, no doubt) than hang out at Burberry fashion shows with the likes of Vogue's Anna Wintour sipping cocktails.

"Not something I normally do," he wrote on his Facebook page on September 18, posting three pictures of him with his girlfriend Kim Sears and Wintour. He also "likes" Burberry. His new brand of choice, perhaps? After all, a man's wardrobe needs more than just Adidas T-shirts and sneakers, right?

If this kind of engagement didn't already make Andy squirm in his seat, he is probably a lock to win the "Best British Young Sports Star" award at BBC Radio 1's Teen Awards. If he wasn't in Asia, he would likely be rubbing shoulders with One Direction and, perhaps if he was lucky, Little Mix. That might force Andy back in his cave for good. And I don't blame him! He and I are both fans of that other boy band, A-Peace.

One engagement he has fulfilled since September 10 — one that he really wanted to do — was in his hometown of Dunblane, Scotland. Less than a week after his life changed forever (in a good way), he returned to the streets of his old stomping ground and walked into an emotional hero's welcome. "To have been in my hometown today and to have had that reception is something that will live with me for a very long time," Andy commented on his Facebook account, after spending half a day signing autographs, posing for pictures with fans and hitting some rallies with appreciative kids.

He even made time to chat with Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond, about the possibility of funding a new £10 million tennis complex near Edinburgh that would teach tennis to children of all levels. Not chump change, but with Andy's likely yearly income likely topping $20 million for the next little while, something he can afford.

That said, how many athletes do we see putting back in to the grass roots of their sports rather than spending their income on more houses, fancy cars and posh restaurants? Andy is one to definitely buck that trend. Even at his post-US Open dinner celebrations, when he paid the huge bar bill for him and his entourage, Andy only had a $6 lemon soda. Bet it tasted good, though.

With so many social functions behind him, Andy can now get back to the court and focus on his year-end surge to the ATP Finals, held in London in November. After Japan, he's off to defend another title at the Shanghai Masters (he loves the restaurants there, according to his website) where he is likely to renew his rivalry with Djokovic, before heading to Paris for the final tournament before he hits the "O2" in London.

It has been an enormously successful year for Andy, with the Olympic gold medal and his first Grand Slam win. How fitting that he can finish the season back home with a stellar chance, if he wins that final tournament, of ending the season as World Number 1. Unfortunately for Andy, if that happens, more glamour and attention awaits...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/visit-britain-us/cool-andy-murray-britain-shy-sports-celebrity-195447061.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3625 on: October 05, 2012, 08:50 AM »

Nice piece dani - I like that 'Britain's shy sports celebrity'.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3626 on: October 05, 2012, 09:44 AM »

http://www.nusport.nl/tennis/2926267/lendl-murray-kan-beste-van-wereld-worden.html

Nice interview from lendl about coaching of Andy;

Some highlights:
- Andy can be the best of the world
- Lendl: I'm almost sure he'll win more GS's
- Lendl; I do not tell what we discuss about technique, win or loose is a matter of a few points
- SF AO and lost final Wimbledon were key matches; without these experience he could't have win USO
- "We met 4 or 5 times before i decided to became his coach". 
- "I thought someting was missing, but I don't say what that was"
- "Before I said no 10 times on requets for coaching (other players)"
- "Now the time was ready and ther was a click between us"
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3627 on: October 05, 2012, 10:16 AM »

Was just reading a piece on the various matches that have been played,and this apparently Raonic had this to say about playing Andy:

"I played pretty well," Raonic said of his thrashing by world number three Murray in New York. "He was just too good. I just hope he doesn't play that well again."
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3628 on: October 05, 2012, 10:28 AM »

http://www.nusport.nl/tennis/2926267/lendl-murray-kan-beste-van-wereld-worden.html

Nice interview from lendl about coaching of Andy;

Some highlights:
- Andy can be the best of the world
- Lendl: I'm almost sure he'll win more GS's
- Lendl; I do not tell what we discuss about technique, win or loose is a matter of a few points
- SF AO and lost final Wimbledon were key matches; without these experience he could't have win USO
- "We met 4 or 5 times before i decided to became his coach". 
- "I thought someting was missing, but I don't say what that was"
- "Before I said no 10 times on requets for coaching (other players)"
- "Now the time was ready and ther was a click between us"
Thanks for translating the key points fp - v interesting.  Hadn't realised he'd already been approached 10 times to coach other players.  Bet he's glad he said no and waited for that click.  I like the way he always plays his cards close to his chest about what he and Andy work on.
Re Raonic dani - sure hope Andy does eh!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3629 on: October 05, 2012, 10:59 AM »

Couldn't agree more Ruthie!Literally as I was reading that,my thought were,''well,I hope he DOES!''
Fingers crossed...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 241 [242] 243 244 245 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »