Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 [244] 245 246 247 ... 725 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 434473 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3645 on: October 06, 2012, 01:57 PM »

well spotted tj - a stupid mistake.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3646 on: October 06, 2012, 06:59 PM »

Hi All,

I think Andy has a point about the Sports Personality of the Year, but someone tell me why on earth the Independent can't get Andy's ranking right. He's three in the world!
ATP have changed the Rankings link on their official site to list the YTD rankings instead of the actual rankings - a change that has caused many lazy/thick journalists to make mistakes and reveal their lack of tennis knowledge.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3647 on: October 06, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Isn't he third now in YTD also? Though perhaps only from Monday.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #3648 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28 PM »

Andy Murray looks towards top spot despite defeat by Milos Raonic
• 'I'm happy with the way I've fought,' says Murray
• Scot to face Bernard Tomic or Florian Mayer in Shanghai

For Andy Murray these days, it is all about perspective. Having won his first grand slam title at the US Open last month, he knew that getting back into the swing of things on the regular Tour would take a bit of time and so it proved as the Scot suffered his first defeat since – a 6-3, 6-7, 7-6 loss to Canada's Milos Raonic in the semi-finals of the Japan Open in Tokyo.

Murray had hammered Raonic on his way to victory at the US Open and it will have irritated him to let slip a match in which, having been outplayed early on, he had led 4-1 in the deciding set and held two match points at 6-5 on the Raonic serve. It will be a consolation that Raonic, who is ranked 14th, but who is an outside bet to clinch one of the remaining places for next month's Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London, played one of his best matches. The Canadian has been nicknamed The Missile for his huge serve and he deserved his win. "He played well behind his first serve," Murray said. "That made it tough for me. There was always going to be a bit of residue from the last few months."

Murray missed a regulation backhand on the second match point that will have riled him, but it is unlikely to be a defeat that lingers long. The world No3 played well enough throughout the week to know his game is in good shape and, in the remaining weeks of the season, he intends to build on his triumphs in New York and at the Olympics, where he won gold.

"I'm happy with the way I've fought in my matches," said Murray, who was in a jovial mood throughout the week and whose game, for the most part, had the confidence of a man whose burden has been lifted. "My focus has been very good. I wanted to make sure I kept the momentum going, I want to keep that up for the rest of the year."

That focus slipped a little against Raonic, who showed why so many people believe he could be the next man to challenge the top four of Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Murray and Rafael Nadal. The 21-year-old, who moved to Canada from Montenegro when he was three years old, did not let Murray dictate as he had done in New York; instead, he came forward whenever he could and grasped the initiative.

Murray spoke this week about how satisfying his US Open triumph had been – and not just because the questions about emulating Fred Perry no longer apply – but because he had found a way to win even when he wasn't playing at his absolute best. His final against Djokovic was played in cold, windy conditions, but Murray showed he could cope with the occasion.

In the past, Murray has flip-flopped between trying to play well in every event or just focusing on the grand slams and felt people criticised him either way. The addition of Ivan Lendl as coach at the start of the year helped him to believe in himself more and now every time he steps on the court he wants to be ready to win the tournament.

Murray hopes his new attitude will help him to claim more grand slam titles and, in time, the No1 ranking. His defeat in Tokyo cost him a few points but he still has 4,000 points to play for, up to and including London, where he will be a favourite to win the title for the first time.

The first task will come in Shanghai, where he arrived on Saturday, trying to win the title for the third year in a row. Having got the soreness out of his body, he said he expects to play well in Shanghai, where he begins against either Bernard Tomic of Australia or Florian Mayer of Germany. "When I haven't played for a few weeks, the first couple of matches seem to be a little bit harder, but once you get through them my body tends to feel better," he said. "So I'm glad I got a lot of matches in this week and I'll be feeling good for Shanghai."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/06/andy-murray-milos-raonic
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #3649 on: October 06, 2012, 11:31 PM »

Despite the rather depressing headline,Andy actually comes across in good form here-I particularly enjoyed reading the bits about Ivan & Jez's upcoming challenge! Very Happy

Frustrated Murray out of Japan Open

The mangled racket on the ground next to his seat told you everything
about Andy Murray’s determination to give of his best every week from
now onwards. The US Open champion was beaten 6-3, 6-7, 7-6 by Milos
Raonic here yesterday in the semi-finals of the Japan Open, his first
tournament since New York, but played with a passion that you might not
have expected at the end of long season from a man who has just won his
first Grand Slam title and Olympic gold.

It was in the second set, after one of many frustrating games trying to break Raonic’s huge serve, that Murray smashed his racket, for which he was given a code violation for the second time in the week. The Scot, nevertheless, stuck to his task, despite never finding his best tennis, and should have won after taking a 4-1 lead in the deciding set.

Having lost the first set after dropping his serve in the opening game, Murray levelled by winning the first tie-break and then appeared to have the match in control when he became the first player to break Raonic’s serve here.

Even after the Canadian broke back, Murray had two match points when Raonic served at 5-6, the world No 14 twice putting himself on the edge of the precipice with double faults. He saved the first with a smash but was relieved to see Murray put a routine backhand long on the second and went on to win the tie-break 7-4. The victory earned Raonic a meeting today with Kei Nishikori, who became the first Japanese player to reach this final for 40 years when he beat Marcos Baghdatis 6-2, 6-2.

Murray now heads for this week’s Shanghai Masters, where he will again be defending the title. He is determined to finish the year on a high, with next month’s Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London a major goal. Ivan Lendl, his coach, will rejoin him the week before the event at the O2 Arena.

The world No 4 wants to avoid a repeat of the end of last year, when he suffered a groin injury and had to pull out of London after his first match. The last week’s performances are also evidence of his determination to avoid the dips in form which has suffered in the past.

'I think I’m just conscious of not wanting to go through stretches like I went through earlier this year and have tournaments like I did at Indian Wells or Queen’s or Rome,' he said.

'I didn’t feel like I was necessarily there 100 per cent today, but I fought right through to the end, even though I didn’t necessarily play amazing tennis, and managed to get myself in a winning position. I want to make sure that each week and at each tournament between now and the end of the year I try to finish strong and not let the momentum drop off.'

He added: 'I know how disappointed I was at the end of last year for a few weeks afterwards and I want to make sure I give everything in the matches and also make sure that I’m as fit and fresh as possible.'

There has been a new air of self-confidence about Murray throughout the last week. He agreed that he felt like a man who has had a great weight taken off his shoulders with his first Grand Slam title.

'Every single match I’ve played in the past I was always having to prove something,' he said. 'Whether it was in the first round of Brisbane or the semi-finals or final of a Grand Slam, I felt like I was always putting a lot of pressure on myself.

'It’s not as though I’m wanting to lose my matches now — I’m trying my best to win — but beforehand I would think it was a huge disappointment or setback, regardless of the tournament, if I lost and I would sometimes find it hard for a few days. I don’t have that sense right now.

'I know I’m not always going to play my best, but I’m starting to realise that if I don’t I can still find ways of winning matches. That’s something I’ve spoken a lot to Ivan about.'

After London Murray will go to Miami for a training block with Lendl, who has a competition of his own to look forward to. Lendl and Jez Green, one of Murray’s trainers, are going head-to-head in a challenge on a climbing machine. Both men are taking it seriously, although Murray said he had been given a different insight into Lendl’s preparations by Dani Vallverdu, a member of the Scot’s coaching team.

'Ivan and Jez are both saying they’re working hard, eating well, losing weight, but Dani was on the phone to Ivan when he was back in London,' Murray said. 'Ivan said: ‘Hang on a second, Dani, I’m just going to order some food.’ He put the phone down, but Dani could still hear what he was saying and he ordered two Egg McMuffins and a sausage from McDonald’s.

'Dani didn’t say anything to Ivan but then he told me, so I’ve been saying things to Ivan like: ‘There are some rumours going around that you’ve not been eating that well.’ He doesn’t know where that’s come from so I think he thinks it’s one of his daughters who has told me.'

Who does Murray think will win? 'My money’s on Ivan. Jez should win. He’s got, like, 10 years on him, but Ivan’s a little bit psychotic, so he’s not going to want to lose that.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/frustrated-murray-out-of-japan-open-8200422.html
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3650 on: October 07, 2012, 10:36 AM »

The Irony. 

Roger Federer believes Andy Murray is capable of taking over his mantle as world number one.
Following his US Open victory, Murray said he was targeting the consistency over the coming year to make him the world's best player.
The Swiss said: "Yes, he can do it. He should be able to have that goal. He has results that back up his chances.
"His next nine months are going to be extremely interesting to follow. I hope for him he can achieve it eventually."
The 17-time Grand Slam winner joins Murray and Novak Djokovic in China for next week's Shanghai Masters.
Continue reading the main story

It would be very wrong if he said he wanted to become world number two now

Roger Federer on Andy Murray
The Scot, who is defending his title, arrives after losing in the semi-finals of the Rakuten Open in Tokyo on Sunday to Canada's Milos Raonic.
That was Murray's first tournament since his maiden Grand Slam win in New York in September.
After breaking his Majors duck, Murray, currently third in the world, said: "All players, once you get near to the top of the game, one of the goals is to try to get to world number one.
"I can't say this year it's necessarily possible for me to do it because I didn't have a particularly good clay-court season and I didn't do well in the Masters Series in Cincinnati and Montreal and also in Indian Wells.
"But that is the next step. To do that, you need to be consistent throughout the whole year.
"That's something that Novak and Roger and Rafa [Nadal] have done incredibly well the last few years."

Andy Murray won the 2011 Shanghai Masters
Federer, with more than 300 weeks at the top, has spent longer in the number one spot than any other player in history and he believes Murray has given himself a good chance of following suit.
"It would be very wrong if he said he wanted to become world number two now," he said.
"I think maybe at the end of the year [he can do it], maybe the beginning of next year. Or, if not then, he's got a shot until next Wimbledon almost - if he were to win there."
The Swiss feels Murray's fine summer could prove the catalyst for such an achievement.
"I think he's done so well," Federer added. "His reaction was amazing after not winning Wimbledon against me.
"Then coming back to win the Olympics and bringing the victory home for his first Grand Slam at the US Open was great to see.
"I was very impressed and I'm sure that's going to give him confidence for what's to come.
"How me, Novak and Rafa - whenever he comes back - and the rest of the players will play will have a little bit of an impact.
"But, overall, Andy has some control over that himself now."
IP Logged
killieboyd
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #3651 on: October 07, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Here is the link to the above

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/19861547
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #3652 on: October 07, 2012, 12:49 PM »

Hi All,

I think I can say with some confidence that we all know Andy is capable of getting to no.1. Maybe not this year, although it is still pretty open, but next year, if he is consistent and is fit.

I'd love to believe that Federer is having some sort of attack of gushing sincerity, with a touch of humility thrown in, because it would, I openly admit, make me feel some respect for him, but I don't believe it for a second. I think he is trying to get in to Andy's head, and I hope Andy doesn't fall for it.

I must admit, I hate the fact that I take nothing Federer says at face value. It isn't like me. I just wouldn't trust a word that comes out of that man's mouth as far as I could spit. It is funny though, because Nadal said something similar, I seem to recall, not so long ago, and I think he was being sincere.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3653 on: October 07, 2012, 12:56 PM »

Having seen the interview on the BBC website, I'm prepared to take Roger Federer's comment on Andy as sincere. I think he now accepts Andy has earned the right to be classed as one of the big four, and that there is a ‘big four’ and that Andy can be a future No1.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: News Articles « Reply #3654 on: October 07, 2012, 07:00 PM »

Federer seemed genuine. Yes, he does have a touch of arrogance at times, but he isn't completely false, as is being implied in this thread. He answered the questions put to him spontaneously and weighed up the obstacles that stand between Andy and the No. 1 spot.
He has nothing at all to gain by speaking with "forked tongue", has he? Andy will not be negatively influenced in the slightest, he may feel  rather good to be talked about in this way by one of his respected peers.
Andy has enormous respect for Roger and Rafa.

Andy has often been misinterpreted and wrongly judged in the media, which he says is unfair and unjust.  Therefore, I've decided not to read into interviews too much and rather accept them on face value.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3655 on: October 07, 2012, 07:18 PM »

^^ In that link Fed is asked if Andy could achieve his goal of world number one in the next twelve months. He says yes, and gets a hard time on MW. Hate to think what would have been said here if he'd said No, don't think so. Death threats probably!

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3656 on: October 07, 2012, 09:33 PM »

^^ In that link Fed is asked if Andy could achieve his goal of world number one in the next twelve months. He says yes, and gets a hard time on MW. Hate to think what would have been said here if he'd said No, don't think so. Death threats probably!

I'm not aware of anyone giving Fed a hard time. It's just my own personal view that he is arrogant and false and gets a kick out of getting in to opponents heads, or trying to. It's also my personal view the that he wouldn't know sincerity if it got up and smacked him, but there we are.

I take his general point that Andy is right to set his goals higher now, but that's about it.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3657 on: October 07, 2012, 10:18 PM »

I'm not aware of anyone giving Fed a hard time. It's just my own personal view that he is arrogant and false and gets a kick out of getting in to opponents heads, or trying to. It's also my personal view the that he wouldn't know sincerity if it got up and smacked him, but there we are.

I take his general point that Andy is right to set his goals higher now, but that's about it.

I agree TJ.

I don't like the tone of his remarks - could be I read too closely between the lines - but thoughts of himself are never far away,

viz:

"His reaction was amazing after NOT WINNING WIMBLEDON AGAINST ME."

IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3658 on: October 07, 2012, 10:19 PM »

I think Federer's comments were OK. I did think this was typical Roger though.

"His reaction was amazing after not winning Wimbledon against me."

You've got to laugh.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3659 on: October 07, 2012, 11:53 PM »

I agree TJ.

I don't like the tone of his remarks - could be I read too closely between the lines - but thoughts of himself are never far away,

viz:

"His reaction was amazing after NOT WINNING WIMBLEDON AGAINST ME."

That's exactly the bit that jumped out at me. He could have just said 'after the Wimbledon final'. He didn't need to point out that it was against him, most people know. What he said would have sounded much more gracious if he hadn't said that.

I may be wrong. Federer might just be one of those people who has incurable foot in mouth disease, but somehow I don't think so. With Shanghai, where Andy has won for the last two years, then Paris later, followed by the WTF, coming up, Fed is playing head games. I don't think it will work, not any more. I hope not.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 [244] 245 246 247 ... 725 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »