Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 ... 749 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 455206 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3735 on: October 17, 2012, 04:27 PM »

I think I might actually be speechless. I thought that dreadful looking blue clay in Madrid was the pits, but this is just.......I can't even think of the word lol.
Unless this white stuff has some anti-glare component it's going to be a nightmare for players and spectators alike, but hopefully that'll have been taken into account.

Anyway no more blue clay in Madrid because the ATP have refused to let them use it again, probably because Djokovic and Nadal said they wouldn't play there next year unless the red clay was brought back.  Andy missed it, but I suspect his reaction might have been the same given how much he hates slippery surfaces.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #3736 on: October 17, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Unless this white stuff has some anti-glare component it's going to be a nightmare for players and spectators alike, but hopefully that'll have been taken into account.

Anyway no more blue clay in Madrid because the ATP have refused to let them use it again, probably because Djokovic and Nadal said they wouldn't play there next year unless the red clay was brought back.  Andy missed it, but I suspect his reaction might have been the same given how much he hates slippery surfaces.

It was the glare from it that I thought of, apart from the idea that it sounds hideous lol.

I was glad Andy missed Madrid. To my mind that blue clay looked slippery. I shudder to think what could have happened if he'd gone over on that. I suspect, at the very least, the air would have been as blue as the clay lol.

In a way I'm glad the ATP have banned the blue clay. I'm sure, in a sense, Nadal and Djokovic reacted to it because they lost, but I do think they had a point. I'm all for innovation, but that change didn't make sense to me. The blue clay, at least to my mind and watching on TV, looked like a very untidy hard court, which probably wasn't the idea lol.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3737 on: October 17, 2012, 05:14 PM »

If I remember rightly Andy did not play as he did not want to risk his back on the slippery surface.  Maybe I imagined this.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3738 on: October 17, 2012, 05:27 PM »

In a way I'm glad the ATP have banned the blue clay. I'm sure, in a sense, Nadal and Djokovic reacted to it because they lost, but I do think they had a point.
N & D lost deliberately, of that I am convinced, because neither wanted to risk injury.  As a friend of mine said "Nadal had to work hard to lose his match".

If I remember rightly Andy did not play as he did not want to risk his back on the slippery surface.  Maybe I imagined this.
If reports were to be believed Andy wouldn't have played even if the clay had still been red because his back was really playing up by the time Madrid came along and he'd been ordered to have a rest.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #3739 on: October 17, 2012, 05:30 PM »

N & D lost deliberately, of that I am convinced, because neither wanted to risk injury.  As a friend of mine said "Nadal had to work hard to lose his match".

Deliberately?? How can you say that?
I didnt watch the matches so I don't exactly know..
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3740 on: October 17, 2012, 05:37 PM »

Deliberately?? How can you say that?
I didnt watch the matches so I don't exactly know..
Because that was how it appeared to a lot of people, not just myself.  Also the pair of them were making a big enough fuss about the courts to make that seem quite plausible.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #3741 on: October 17, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Because that was how it appeared to a lot of people, not just myself.  Also the pair of them were making a big enough fuss about the courts to make that seem quite plausible.
Don't worry Ail, I wasn't accusing you, was just curious Very Happy
I heard about the big fuss and all but who did they actually lose against?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3742 on: October 17, 2012, 06:42 PM »

To be honest, I can't remember. doh
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3743 on: October 17, 2012, 07:00 PM »

Don't worry Ail, I wasn't accusing you, was just curious Very Happy
I heard about the big fuss and all but who did they actually lose against?
Novak lost to Tipsy, Nadal to Verdasco.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3744 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38 PM »

Didn't Nadal lose a 5-1 lead in the final set against a player he had beaten 13 times in a row or something silly (Verdasco)?
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3745 on: October 17, 2012, 09:25 PM »

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/andy-murray-s-psychologist-refutes-gloomy-image-1-2581803   - great stuff  Smile
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: News Articles « Reply #3746 on: October 17, 2012, 09:58 PM »

You can vote fr Andy to win the ATP fans award.  He has just posted on his Facebook, "I need your votes Smile". Just voted fr obviously Andy and voted for Flembo & Hutchins in the doubles.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3747 on: October 17, 2012, 10:01 PM »

oh I voted for Andy as well Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3748 on: October 18, 2012, 12:16 AM »

Didn't Nadal lose a 5-1 lead in the final set against a player he had beaten 13 times in a row or something silly (Verdasco)?
It was Verdasco.  Nadal had a 5-2 lead and twice served for the match, yet was finally beaten 7-5.  He later said he had had difficulty closing the match out because "I didn't know how to do it", which seems an extraordinary statement coming from a player of Nadal's calibre.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 18, 2012, 12:21 AM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3749 on: October 18, 2012, 12:17 AM »

I guess the difference is that exho's are obviously nowhere near as demanding on the body and considering how Andy played during Boodles, probably a great time to relax and just enjoy their tennis without worrying about ranking, money or reputation.
If Andy's already in Miami, then playing a maximum of two matches in an exho is not going to be demanding at all.  No extra flights, or dealing with jet-lag, or getting used to a strange hotel bed. 

You could argue it might interfere with the off-season training schedule, but I can't see it being that hard to rearrange.  He wouldn't want to be doing any massive endurance testing runs the day before, but he could have a complete week off, then a week of gentle training, and a few days slightly more serious, then use the exho for a bit of hitting practice!

Andy also has the advantage of getting to spend the tour finals week in his own home.   Poor Del Potro has a much longer commute!  I think he's doing an exho in Argentina, in November, which seems very sensible.  But I also read Federer is meant to be doing exhos in South America (can't recall where or when), which is bonkers if it's true.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 ... 749 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »