Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 ... 757 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 475976 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3750 on: October 18, 2012, 12:25 AM »

BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but Andy was spotted on the plane to Edinburgh yesterday morning, then back again early afternoon.  No idea why he was there for such a short trip.  Perhaps something to do with the academy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3751 on: October 18, 2012, 12:58 AM »

If Andy's already in Miami, then playing a maximum of two matches in an exho is not going to be demanding at all.  No extra flights, or dealing with jet-lag, or getting used to a strange hotel bed. 

You could argue it might interfere with the off-season training schedule, but I can't see it being that hard to rearrange.  He wouldn't want to be doing any massive endurance testing runs the day before, but he could have a complete week off, then a week of gentle training, and a few days slightly more serious, then use the exho for a bit of hitting practice!

Andy also has the advantage of getting to spend the tour finals week in his own home.   Poor Del Potro has a much longer commute!  I think he's doing an exho in Argentina, in November, which seems very sensible.  But I also read Federer is meant to be doing exhos in South America (can't recall where or when), which is bonkers if it's true.
Hi *Sparkle* wave  Welcome to MW!

Yes Federer is touring S America in December playing several exhos, although unfortunately I can no longer find the exact info on his website.  Oh well if he wants to tire himself before the start of next season that's his problem.

BTW, not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere, but Andy was spotted on the plane to Edinburgh yesterday morning, then back again early afternoon.  No idea why he was there for such a short trip.  Perhaps something to do with the academy.
That's interesting. At least it shows he must have got over whatever it was that was ailing him in Shanghai, which is good.  Also it sounds like it could have been for a meeting with Alex Salmond or one of the MSPs to discuss the proposed academy, or maybe it was for the reception that Salmond was planning for what he calls the Scolympians, although I've no idea when that was supposed to be.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #3752 on: October 18, 2012, 05:10 AM »

It's official.. Smile

Formal Freedom of City agreement for Andy Murray
Dunblane tennis hero Andy Murray will be granted the Freedom of the City of Stirling after councillors unanimously agreed to serve-up the top civic honour.

A motion to bestow the accolade on the 25-year-old Olympic and US Open champion, who delighted thousands of fans with a homecoming parade through the cathedral city last month in the wake of his successful summer, was passed at a Stirling Council meeting last Thursday.

Bridge of Allan and Dunblane councillor Graham Houston, who submitted the motion that was seconded by fellow SNP elected member Alasdair MacPherson, a representative for the Bannockburn area, described Murray as an “inspiration”. And after paying tribute to the sporting star’s passion and to the esteem in which Murray is held locally, Councillor Houston declared: “Andy Murray’s success is reminiscent of the adage that dreams come true for those who work while they dream.

“He is a clear example of what you can achieve when you’re determined to succeed.

“Andy has been tremendous for the country, the first British man to win a tennis Grand Slam since 1936, and is a great example to our youth.”

Councillor MacPherson said that he was proud to second the motion and went on to highlight the impact Murray’s success has had on the region’s youngsters – giving the example of children in Cowie, whom he said were keen to see a tennis court built in the village.

Provost Mike Robbins, a Labour representative for the Bridge of Allan and Dunblane ward, said a special council meeting will be convened with the tennis ace present to formally make Murray a Freeman of the City of Stirling. It will take place “at a date and a time suitable to Andy and his team”, according to the Provost.

He added: “There’s already been national and international interest. This is going to be a huge event.”

Following the meeting, Provost Robbins said: “I am delighted that we’re all united in our desire to see Andy granted Freedom of the City of Stirling.

“I know that the whole of Stirling wishes him the very best for success at the ATP Masters Final in London in November.

“Whatever the end of the year brings, he’s already done more than enough to be our modern-day local legend. And what could round off his and our year better than another chance to welcome our hero home to Dunblane and Stirling for this honour?

“Andy is living proof that with hard work, dedication and determination dreams can come true.” yes
http://www.stirlingobserver.co.uk/stirling-news/local-news-stirling/news-stirling/2012/10/17/formal-freedom-of-city-agreement-for-andy-murray-51226-32043231/
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3753 on: October 18, 2012, 07:37 AM »

Great. Now Andy is free to roam Dunblane at will with Maggie, Rusty and any sheep lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3754 on: October 18, 2012, 09:11 AM »

I can only think that now Andy has spoken publically about using a sports psychologist she has been sanctioned to speak to the media.  After all what she is saying presents Andy in such a positive light.  I love what she is saying about helping him to refind his zest for the game and of course about his personality.  This is a very different situation to the guy who spoke out of turn a while ago [was it after that AO finall loss?] boasting that he'd helped Andy in the past.  May their relationship continue as I'm sure it's really helpful for Andy.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #3755 on: October 18, 2012, 10:18 AM »

Ivan's given his first proper interview since the USO! Smile

Andy Murray can make big progress in the next few months, says coach Ivan Lendl

Ivan Lendl, in his first in-depth interview since Andy Murray's US Open success, tells Chris Jones why 2013 will be even better

Ivan Lendl was a picture of ­serenity amid the mayhem that surrounded Andy Murray’s historic US Open triumph.

The crowd was going berserk and the rest of Murray’s support team headed by girlfriend Kim Sears could not contain their excitement but at the end of the player’s box sat Lendl, chin on his hand, gazing impassively out onto the court as Novak Djokovic was beaten after nearly five hours.

Throughout a stellar career that brought him eight Grand Slam titles and a remarkable 270 weeks as No1, Lendl was seen as a cold character.

Is he adopting the same persona now that he is Murray’s coach? The answer revolves around his own family, made up of five daughters, who have all created their own sporting lives with three playing golf for leading American colleges — a sport that has become Lendl’s passion since quitting the Tour.

“I am pretty much as calm as I appear,” says the 52-year-old scratch golfer. “I was asked that question by a couple of tennis coaches at my  ­Academy and I told them it is a lot easier watching Andy play tennis in a US Open Final than watching  your own children playing golf at a fairly high level.

“I consider Andy part of our family, having spent so much time with him but it really is much more difficult watching your own children, when you know they are not as skilled at their sport yet. Andy is very skilled at what he does and I know he is going to do the right thing and perform well, so I don’t have to worry so much.”

Lendl agreed to become Murray’s coach last December and with their anniversary still some weeks away, the tangible results are there for everyone to see. Murray is an ­Olympic singles gold medallist (he also took silver in the mixed doubles in London) and the US Open champion, having last month ended ­Britain’s 76‑year wait for a men’s Grand Slam winner.

Like Lendl it came after suffering four defeats in major finals.

It would be easy to assume the arrival of Lendl was the sole reason for Murray’s elevation to the elite of the sport but his coach is quick to deflect praise.

“It is very flattering that people say I’ve helped Andy to win a first Grand Slam but all the credit goes to him,” he says. “He is the one who has done the work and won the matches. Would he have won the titles this year if I wasn’t there? Maybe, maybe not or he could have won even more. We will never know, however, if I have played any small part in achieving the gold medal and the US Open title then I’m very happy for him.”

Lendl is polite, enthusiastic, passionate about competition and speaks — at times — in a staccato manner because he doesn’t waste words. “You show me a good loser and I will show you a loser,” was a response that neatly sums up his sporting mantra.

However, like Murray, the public perception is different to the truth and laughter is very much a feature of their relationship.  Lendl has clear ideas of what it takes to be a champion and he dispels the idea that Murray benefits from a God-given talent.

“Nothing is God given — it’s all about hard work,” he says. “Andy has worked really hard to have good hands around the net and to hit the shots he does.

“Way before my time with Andy, he was hitting tennis balls with his mum on court and that is the same for guys like John McEnroe and Roger Federer. They hit lots at home before ever coming onto the Tour.

“That is why I say that nothing is God given and we should take that out of equation. I am trying to erase it because it’s about the work you put in.

“I don’t see why Andy should not have another big year in 2013. I’ve never been a fan of how many weeks someone is at No1. I’m more interested in winning majors because then No1 comes as a bi-product and it shows consistency. Being No1 was an honour and I take my hat off to Roger for doing 300 weeks at the top.

“It’s a good call by Andy to aim to become No1 in the world and he understands that it’s not only about ­playing well in the majors, it also  takes consistency throughout the year to achieve that. I don’t see any reason why Andy won’t win many more Grand Slam titles.”

Lendl is coming back to London with old sparring partner McEnroe for the Winter Whites Gala at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday December 8. That day, during the Statoil Masters Tennis tournament, the famous venue will be transformed into a Winter Wonderland on behalf of Centrepoint, Prince William’s Patron Charity, which helps homeless young people.

He will also be at the O2 alongside Murray for the Barclays World Tour Finals in November and will then oversee the first sustained period of training with the world No3 in America.

Lendl says: “I am really looking forward to working with Andy in America because I haven’t had a chance to work with him for an extended period of time. We had around 10 days together after the Australian Open and before he played Dubai and that was more about preparing for the tournament.

“The work we do leading into the Australian Open will be very important because we can make really big progress. We are talking about doing specific work on the court which will then help in all areas of his game. In terms of 2013, I still have to discuss the schedule and when I will be with him on the Tour.

“I was convinced from the beginning Andy would win a Grand Slam because I could see how good a player he was. Andy learned very quickly from a couple of losses; against Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open and then against Roger Federer in the Wimbledon Final and became an even better player.

“I don’t compare winning the US Open as a player and being there when Andy did it as a coach. My playing days were so long ago and there has been another big chapter in my life in between those tennis moments. Coming back after helping my daughters with their golf and driving them around to events was a big, enjoyable chapter in my life.

“I have gone from tennis player, then a family man and father to helping Andy achieve his goals. It was a ­fantastic evening in New York and I could not have been happier for him.”

The Albert Hall will see Lendl back on court in London after a 19-year absence. He might not be up to regular tennis on the seniors circuit but for one week, having been prepared by Murray, he is confident he can still play to a high level.

“I am not a fan of playing back-to-back events because it’s a little too much for my body,” he says. “I can tell you that having faced Andy’s ground strokes in practise, there are not too many on the senior’s tour hitting it like that.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/interviews/andy-murray-can-make-big-progress-in-the-next-few-months-says-coach-ivan-lendl-8215922.html
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #3756 on: October 18, 2012, 10:27 AM »

Thanks for posting Ivan's interview Dani. Smile I love how he's always so positive about Andy and really believes in him. Must be great to have someone like that as a coach.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3757 on: October 18, 2012, 10:44 AM »

Thanks Dani, a very good read.

I love Lendl, but sometimes get a bit annoyed by commentators etc who seem to  give him so much of the credit for Andy's great year -  so I liked this bit:

“It is very flattering that people say I’ve helped Andy to win a first Grand Slam but all the credit goes to him,” he says. “He is the one who has done the work and won the matches. Would he have won the titles this year if I wasn’t there? Maybe, maybe not or he could have won even more. We will never know, however, if I have played any small part in achieving the gold medal and the US Open title then I’m very happy for him.”
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3758 on: October 18, 2012, 11:18 AM »

Great interview, thanks Dani.   It hadn't struck me before that this will be the first extended training block they'll have had together - what an exciting prospect for the possible results eh.  Also like the bit about him thinking of Andy as part of his family now - underlines how well they get along.
How funny if helping Andy helps Lendl win the seniors event in London - I wonder whether he and Johnnie Mac will carry on where they left off.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3759 on: October 18, 2012, 12:48 PM »

Seriously, how is Federer up for the sportsmanship award yet again after last week's fiasco?
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3760 on: October 18, 2012, 12:59 PM »

Seriously, how is Federer up for the sportsmanship award yet again after last week's fiasco?
Fedfans are blinkered, Fed has always conducted himself like that when things were not going his way.  The name Frauderer suits him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3761 on: October 18, 2012, 03:28 PM »

You cannot be serious?  If fed gets the sportsmanship award again, satire is dead to quote I forget who just now.  Was it Tom Lehrer?   Still pseudofed should have a field day
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3762 on: October 18, 2012, 03:30 PM »

You cannot be serious?  If fed gets the sportsmanship award again, satire is dead to quote I forget who just now.  Was it Tom Lehrer?   Still pseudofed should have a field day
He's up against Cilic, Del Potro and Ferrer.

"The player who, throughout the year, conducted himself at the highest level of professionalism and integrity, who competed with his fellow players with the utmost spirit of fairness and who promoted the game through his off-court activities."

Eyebrow raise.

Hopefully the little Spaniard gets it.

Personally I think Djokovic is the most sporting playing on tour (in spite of his antics against Murray), as he will always give an honest opinion on a call and will let the umpire know if he's incorrectly given the point. Yet for some reason he's never even nominated.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Fans/ATP-Awards/ATP-World-Tour-Award-Nominees-2012.aspx
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3763 on: October 18, 2012, 04:10 PM »

I have been seeing this sort of comment left on news articles on the web about Andy more frequently nowadays

I guess all the "Murray will never win a major" idiots who infested this board have gone quiet.....

I love it, they do seem to have gone into hiding since then, i was half expecting the haters to start on the ATP site but apart from a couple of morons, the concesus these days is that Andy is playing great and even Nole fans are conceding that their favourite was really fortunate to win in Shanghai.

One thing that does concern me though, is if Andy's popularity soars too much, i kind of like the support he gets now, it's respectful but not over the top like Federer's i feel andy would much prefer to have the spotlight on others rather than himself, although if he does become number 1 next year, i don't think he will have much choice.

I wonder if his post US open press day where he was doing interviews and photo shoots made him think that in small doses it's not so bad to be in the limelight.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3764 on: October 18, 2012, 04:20 PM »

I wonder if his post US open press day where he was doing interviews and photo shoots made him think that in small doses it's not so bad to be in the limelight.
[/quote]

I think that day, was quite important in getting through to him that he really had done it. He did seem to have quite a lot of trouble actually believing it.  I really loved the daft look on his face, and his complete cooperation with all the requests to stand in particular ways, and hold the trophy up or down. I imagine the shy bit of him was hating it, but a large bit of him was savouring ever second. Personally I think he is going to have to get used to it - if he insists on winning things like Gold Medals and GS's. he's got nobody to blame but himself...!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 ... 757 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »